Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Stephi88 wrote:
What is a proration charge

A prorated charge is for a partial month to bring a new account/change forward to the billing date. 

For example, if you open an account May 1, but your normal billing cycle starts on the 11th; your first bill will be for May 11 to June 10. However, you also had service from May 1 to May 10, but did not get a bill for those dates. To bring the billing forward to May 11, AT&T figures out how much you owe for just that partial month. That is known as prorating. That "prorated charge" is then added to the bill. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Ala Richard Dawson, "good answer!"   

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My name is Tru Jones

What is a proration charge?

Fees that apply to only part of the billing cycle. These charges are reduced proportionally, based on the number of days in the billing cycle for which the charge applies.

Calculating Partial Charge, Credit, or Usage

If needed, calculate the partial charge, credit, or usage by dividing the monthly service fees or usage by 30 to get the daily rate. Multiply the daily rate by the number of days on the service plan.
Example:

• $210 a month/30 days = $7 a day
  • $7 a day x 10 days remaining = $70 partial charge

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I don't understand.  I have been a customer for about 10 years.  I haven't changed my plan in years.  My normal bill is about $198.  I see that my upcoming bill will be $721.30 because of a one-time proration credit, a one-time proration charge, and a one-time upgrade/activation fee. $522.58 extra, about 210% over my normal invoice.  What is this all about?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@RRussell This is a customer to customer forum, not customer support. No one here can see your bill. We only know what you share. Did you buy a new phone or upgrade? Have you actually read the bill yet?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Got it, thanks. No, I haven't seen the bill yet, I just looked in my summary and it told me what my next bill was going to be. The last change I made was a new phone in December.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@RRussell You might want to check your account and make sure you still have the same plan and the same number of lines. Something that high almost sounds like a new plan and possibly new phones have been added. Unfortunately, there have been many accounts hacked and fraudulent orders placed over the last few months.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Good idea. Thanks a lot.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Why would you be charged prorated fees for a new account? 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Why would you be charged prorated fees for a new account?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.