Need help understanding your bill?
romad's profile

Scholar

• 

408 Messages

Saturday, June 8th, 2019 4:34 AM

Price increased $5 effective 10 May 19 without advance notice

My Unlimited Choice plan was changed to an Unlimited Choice II plan without informing me in advance. After calling AT&T I was told this was due to a change in service speed, but my statement still shows that I get the same 4G LTE WITH VVM service as under the old plan and nowhere can I find anything about going to a faster speed. As I understand it, only when 5G is launched will the speed increase from 4G's 1 Gb/s speed to 5G's approx. 20 Gb/s. Can anyone tell me what is this "faster speed" for which we're now being charged an extra $5/month? Is it: 5 Gb/s, 10 Gb/s, etc?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Because others have reported the same, we know emails went out 2 months in advance and a notice was on your last bill.  

The plan was throttled to no more than 3mbps.  That throttle is removed. 

Speed is a function of your local towers, not some assigned speed by at&t as before.  You can download a speed test app to see what your speed is in various locations at different times of day.

Has nothing to do with 5g, as you don’t have a 5g capable device. 

Scholar

• 

408 Messages

5 years ago

Liz, I had both my last bill and my current bill in front of me while I was
talking to the rep last night. Any price changes are in the "News You Can
Use" section and on my last bill that section did NOT mention any price
change, whereas in the current bill, the increase in the "Regulatory Cost
Recovery Charge" to $1.50 effective 1 Jul 19 is mentioned. Oh, and where
previously the RCRC was capped at $1.25, there is no longer any mention of
a cap.

OK, whereas before we were limited to 3 Mb/s in 4G networks, we should now
have up to the 4G design limit of 1 Gb/s. That is good to know. Thanks.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

The April 28th bill (for May) did have notice of the price increase in the "News you can use" section. But I never read the paper of pdf bill, just the online bill. 

The May 28th bill (for June) did not have any mention of the rate increase, but the rate at that point has not changed. 

The June 28th bill (for July) also did not any notice, but did have the $5.00 rate increase, plus over $4 in taxes and garbage fees. 

I just checked my emails from March onward, and have not received any emails about the price increase. 

My take is that this was introduced as quietly as possible so as not to encourage customers to look elsewhere for better options. I am not a happy customer, I never liked AT&T very much but it I chose this plan because it offers what I need most - a plan that includes USA & Canada, and also makes international calling (with the 24 hour day pass) very reasonable. Those are the only things binding me to AT&T. As soon as I find another plan from another company, I'm bolting. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

“ The April 28th bill (for May) did have notice of the price increase in the "News you can use" section. But I never read the paper of pdf bill, just the online bill. “ 

Ok, so you were notified, you just chose to ignore it. 

The May 28th bill (for June) did not have any mention of the rate increase, but the rate at that point has not changed. 

The June 28th bill (for July) also did not any notice, but did have the $5.00 rate increase, plus over $4 in taxes and garbage fees. 

I just checked my emails from March onward, and have not received any emails about the price increase. 

Whatever, you were notified

My take is that this was introduced as quietly as possible so as not to encourage customers to look elsewhere for better options. I am not a happy customer, I never liked AT&T very much but it I chose this plan because it offers what I need most - a plan that includes USA & Canada, and also makes international calling (with the 24 hour day pass) very reasonable.

Which is what really matters, after all. Maybe look at one of the more recent plans. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

My take is that this was introduced as quietly as possible so as not to encourage customers to look elsewhere for better options.

I disagree with that. I believe the main reason for the price increase is to get customers off the old plan and on to a current plan. Sure, they don’t want you leaving ATT but they would love you switching to a current plan. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for your replies . . . . You both are real motivators for making me realize my grave error and talking me into upgrading my AT&T subscription. 

(That was sarcasm)

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Engrpas wrote:

My take is that this was introduced as quietly as possible so as not to encourage customers to look elsewhere for better options. I am not a happy customer, I never liked AT&T very much but it I chose this plan because it offers what I need most - a plan that includes USA & Canada, and also makes international calling (with the 24 hour day pass) very reasonable. Those are the only things binding me to AT&T. As soon as I find another plan from another company, I'm bolting. 

That's reading a bit into it as there isn't anything stopping you from switching now, and the most they made is the $5 for one month. If you switched when you got the notified in May compared to switching now, the cost impact is pretty small (for your loss and AT&T's gain), it's only ~$5 for the months they're charging you. It's not a diabolical plan to trap you, it's not like they signed you up for a new contract. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@Engrpas wrote:

Thanks for your replies . . . . You both are real motivators for making me realize my grave error and talking me into upgrading my AT&T subscription. 

(That was sarcasm)

Who said anything about upgrading? Or making an error, for that matter?

If you're on a very old plan, it's possible that better plans have come out from time to time. It's a good idea to check occasionally, but theis seems like a perfect time to do so to make sure you get the best bang for your buck. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I just switched to T-Mobile today. $29 per month (36%) less, pretty much the same plan. I’ve been with ATT too long, 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Engrpas wrote:

I just switched to T-Mobile today. $29 per month (36%) less, pretty much the same plan. I’ve been with ATT too long, 

Pretty much the same plan?  

I don't even see a $29 plan. Pre-paid or post-paid?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.