For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
FesteringRuin's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, September 7th, 2016 6:15 PM

Postpaid Tax Rate Increased 317%

Title says it all, folks.

Got an email this morning telling me my postpaid plan had changed. I didn't make any changes to it, so naturally, I logged into my account to see what this was all about. Took a glance at my new customer service summary, and after a quick comparison to my previous bill, I came to the conclusion that my total taxes were being increased from $12 to almost $40

I've already contacted Customer Care, and they don't know why it was increased like this. Can anyone else shed any light on this? Has anyone else received any changes like this? I live in California, and I know the tax rates are higher than most, but not that high.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Can you post images to show us? 

Just the parts with the plan type and tax/fee totals (no phone or account numbers!).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Taxes2.png

UPDATE: I have 2 phones, and 2 tablets, just to clear up any confusion. I recently spoke with Customer Care for the second time after a week, after I was told someone would contact me to clarify the situation, and no one has any answers other than what is available on the website or "Take my customer service summary into a store."

To reiterate what I already know, I am painfully aware that the government, in all it's alphabet soup forms, sets the rates. But there was no prior notification to such a significant change, that's what my issue is with this whole thing.

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@FesteringRuin wrote:

Taxes2.png

UPDATE: I have 2 phones, and 2 tablets, just to clear up any confusion. I recently spoke with Customer Care for the second time after a week, after I was told someone would contact me to clarify the situation, and no one has any answers other than what is available on the website or "Take my customer service summary into a store."

To reiterate what I already know, I am painfully aware that the government, in all it's alphabet soup forms, sets the rates. But there was no prior notification to such a significant change, that's what my issue is with this whole thing.

Um tablets are charged at 10 bucks a line.  If they changed the tablets to phones the charges will go up for taxes.

here is the charge for my smart watch.

Capture.PNG

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

One tablet is set as the primary line, and the other has my MDPP attached to it for some reason. I'm paying $10 for access on both tablets, however.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

FURTHER UPDATE: I've gone into my local AT&T store, and they have just as much information as anybody else does. They have no idea why my customer service summary says this, they can see when it was sent out, but there is no indication as to why. The gentleman I spoke with was genuinely helpful and shared my confusion of my situation, and suggested that I just wait until my next bill to see what actually happens.

I understand that I am a little pebble in a big pond, but I really feel like this company is just shrugging their shoulders at my problem. At the end of the day my business is just a drop in the bucket, but it's tragic that customers are getting the runaround like this. Trying to fix this issue before I get stuck with more charges that I don't need to be paying is really the only point.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

In Connecticut, with 15 line fees, I pay $4.51 on each phone line, and $1.87 on each tablet line.

two phones and two tablets would be $12.76.  In California, $15 and change is low.  Your state has one of the highest rates in the USA.

Im confused on what the $39.99 is?   That doesn't look like taxes.  And I don't see tablets on the plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

8 years ago

@FesteringRuin wrote:

Taxes2.png

Which line items are significantly different from before? 

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

It has nothing to do with my line fees. Underneath the magnifying glass in the top right hand corner of the picture are my state and local taxes which are now being projected at a total of $39.33 with the federal stuff and AT&T's surcharges, which it's never been in the entire 3 plus years that I've had this account. What I actually pay every month is around $12.40. So, my question has been from the beginning: Why does my customer service summary say one thing and why did it supposedly change on the 3rd of September with no notice as to what or why? I haven't changed my plan in over 14 months, and then I upgraded last October. That's it.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

8 years ago

@FesteringRuin wrote:

It has nothing to do with my line fees. Underneath the magnifying glass in the top right hand corner of the picture are my state and local taxes which are now being projected at a total of $39.33 with the federal stuff and AT&T's surcharges, which it's never been in the entire 3 plus years that I've had this account. What I actually pay every month is around $12.40. So, my question has been from the beginning: Why does my customer service summary say one thing and why did it supposedly change on the 3rd of September with no notice as to what or why? I haven't changed my plan in over 14 months, and then I upgraded last October. That's it.

Have you actually received a bill with higher rates on it?

If so, compare that and the bill before and let us know which taxes/fees/etc. are significantly higher. 

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

I would wait until the actual bill comes out. Customer service summaries are a tax estimate and usually use the highest rates for taxes and fees in the state in which the primary place of use for the line is.

My last CSS said my next bill would be $170, but it was only $145 because the taxes and fees estiamte for me was the highest possible for my lines in both California and Oklahoma.

I have one now that says my next bill will be $240 from adding 2 smartphones and a tablet, but I can pretty safely assume it'll be more like $210-$215.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.