For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
rjmeist's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Monday, October 10th, 2016 10:41 PM

Poor Customer Communications and Billing

The easiest thing to do is post a copy of my the complaint I lodged with the better business bureau.  The money is inconsequential at this point.  I just want to warn as many people as possible via social media of AT&T business practices:

I signed up for an AT&T month to month plan with and existing phone. I specified auto-billing and provided a credit card number to ensure payments were made on time. Approximately one month later the phone stopped working. I went to an AT&T store where they indicated a payment hadn't been made. I processed the payment at the store and they reconnected the phone. They did not indicate any penalty or fee at the time since we discussed the fact that AT&T had failed to process the autopay. They also re-accomplished the autopay paperwork to ensure the problem wouldn't repeat.

In Sept, I again received notice that my bill was overdue. I called AT&T and was informed that autopay may not become effective for 4-6 weeks after activation. There was no explanation for why it was not effective over eight weeks later. I immediately determined that AT&T was not a company I was comfortable dealing with since communication with customers is poor, employee training appears poor, and nobody I spoke to was empowered to solve problems. My account was cancelled that day and I settled all outstanding charges.

One month later I received a 44.91 charge to my credit card. This is the only auto charge from AT&T since activation. I called and they informed me it was a reconnect fee. Neither billing nor customer service at the operator and supervisor levels were empowered to refund the fee. They also could not provide any authorization by me for the charge. At no point was I informed of the charge in three different phone interactions and two in-store interactions.

It appears AT&T is systematically charging customers bogus fees for mistakes that are based on poor employee training/communication, and poor corporate practices.

The right thing to do is have AT&T refund this fee....something customer service indicated absolutely nobody in the company can do.

More important to me than the money is that other consumers are warned about these practices. I have no problem paying for a mistake on my part, but I really feel AT&T is creating situations where they can impose inflated fees on consumers for issues the consumer is unaware of.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

That is a mess, I agree.  And I had no suc problem when I signed up 2.5 years ago.  Just like you used a card for auto pay.   

May I suggest you send a message to @ATTMobilityCare and explain the problems and request they waive final billing. (Click on blue letters)

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Submitted the suggested remedy to the link provided.  We'll see what happens.  At this point, I don't know if an apology from the CEO would make a difference.  This was a test case after 14 years with Verizon to see if I should switch my other 4 cell phones and my home internet, landline, and television.  AT&T was very convincing to never consider that idea again.  Not only is Verizon cheaper, but I've never had a glimmer of this type of customer service nightmare across the range of other services over the years.  Comcast was bad, when we had that, but AT&T has now trumped them.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I am extremely unhappy with a recent phone conversation with an AT&T representative. Our bill has been going up monthly for awhile now, even though we have a so-called plan in place for two IPhones, one IPad, two GL tablets and one hot spot for computers that is almost never used. After being shuttled from representative to different departments, was told that there did appear to be charges, dating from getting the new phones and Direct TV (to get unlimited data) for something called a Trek. I was told AT&T would start a case and refund the mystery charges for approx. 2 yrs. given a case number and resolution date. Today, I received a text saying AT&T could not proceed with the claim. No explanation why. Just could call them. I was on the phone Tuesday for almost two hours. Disgusted with AT& their T! I am a disabled person who has extreme difficulty with fatigue and other issues. Trying to wear my out? Too late. My disease did it first! So thanks, AT&T, for being unethical, with horrendous business practices. I'll be sure and tell my friends!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I feel for you.  I have been with AT&T since about 1996-7, and all their mutations.  I too have medical issues, am on a pension and cannot get around without aid.  Tonite I found that I was locked out of my account.  Then I was told on chat that this was effective since 2015.  Of course I never got an advanced email.  Of course this is coming as a shock to me.  I pay the iphone on installments, insure it for accidents, pay for unlimited data and talk, because all my family (whats left) are scattered across the country.  I have spent hours on the phone trying to straighten out mystery charges, dealing with (No, I don't have the authority to do that...)  [then why are you answering the phone?].  There is no customer benefit.  There is no one that will help you or give you a straight answer.  And now, they are increasing my bill by $5.  With virtually no option without penalty.  I am thoroughly disgusted and am looking for a new carrier if I can just pay off the d*** phone.  I do feel for you

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you! I appreciate you have taken the time to respond to my rant. Really feeling stupid for signing up with these criminals. We have five months to go on on this "plan". We even signed on to Direct TV to get the unlimited data. So the representative tells me that some of the mystery charges were for the TV even though that has a separate bill. Pro-rated, which was too complicated for him to explain to us simpleton customers. Also, I earned a "badge" yesterday, whatever that means. Wrecking Ball. Nice, not too subtle, threat. Sounds like I'm going to get more new charges because I spoke out. Nice! Anyway, thank you again, kind person. Really feeling ripped off.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.