Need help understanding your bill?
RB48723's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 15th, 2018 1:49 PM

Plan Change without My Consent

I have been an ATT customer for several years and have seen my bill increase on a regular basis. Recently I received a notice that I made changes to my account which I did not make. When I called the Customer Service number I was told that I was grandfathered in on a 10gb plan for my mobile devices and they decided to "improve" my service by upgrading me to a new 20gb plan at a cost increase of "only" $20 per month. I did not ask for this, wont use the additional gb and do not want to pay an additional $20. I was basically told that I had no choice and all other customers in my situation are happy about this change.  Really?  All other customers are happy with being forced to pay an additional $20 per month? The solution I was offered.....sign up for DirectTV and receive a bundle discount and visa gift card.  So let me get this straight ATT....you change my plan without my consent, raise my bill and offer me a discount only if I purchase yet another service for yet another monthly fee?  I think its time to start looking for a different provider.    

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I'm curious...Based on the link that was sent: https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1259100/

It looks like AT&T indeed did raise prices, and took the liberty of assuming everyone wanted more data.  But I had a 6GB plan, that they upped to 12GB, charging me an extra $5/month.  Why didn't AT&T give me the option to stay at my 6GB plan, and get the new 6GB rate of $45 that those who were upped from the 3GB plan were given?  I mean I know the answer is because they are a money hungry unethical company, but wouldn't that be the right thing to do?

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@AmberH_318 wrote:

I'm curious...Based on the link that was sent: https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1259100/

It looks like AT&T indeed did raise prices, and took the liberty of assuming everyone wanted more data.  But I had a 6GB plan, that they upped to 12GB, charging me an extra $5/month.  Why didn't AT&T give me the option to stay at my 6GB plan, and get the new 6GB rate of $45 that those who were upped from the 3GB plan were given?  I mean I know the answer is because they are a money hungry unethical company, but wouldn't that be the right thing to do?

No the right thing they should have done is just raised the price and not give the extra data.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@AmberH_318 wrote:

It looks like AT&T indeed did raise prices,

Yes, that is correct.

and took the liberty of assuming everyone wanted more data.

Does that change anything? Would you be happier with the price increase if you still at 6 GB of data instead. 

But I had a 6GB plan, that they upped to 12GB, charging me an extra $5/month.  Why didn't AT&T give me the option to stay at my 6GB plan, and get the new 6GB rate of $45 that those who were upped from the 3GB plan were given?

Because the 3GB plan is no longer offered; those customers were grandfathered in, just like you were grandfathered in to your 6GB plan. 

I mean I know the answer is because they are a money hungry unethical company, but wouldn't that be the right thing to do?

Depends on your definition of "right." They are a for-profit entity, so technically the "right" thing to do is make the most money for their stockholders. 

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Far more were delighted at the double data for a pittance than were perturbed by the increase.  Which is what ATT counted on.

A good number moved to a comparable Flex plan (which you can do in your My ATT account in 2 minutes).  When 5G goes live next year and 5G phones are able to use it, data consumption is going to go up again.  

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

My problem is they decided to change my plan and charge more money based on an email notice they never sent me. Instead of allowing people to opt in, they forced people out of a grandfathered plan if they did not opt out of it. Then said oh well it is your responsibility to know we pulled this crap. There is no way to return to the grandfathered plan.

It was basically a scam to get clients off the grandfathered plan. AT&T clearly does not value long time customers.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@CanItBeWorse wrote:
My problem is they decided to change my plan and charge more money based on an email notice they never sent me. Instead of allowing people to opt in, they forced people out of a grandfathered plan if they did not opt out of it. Then said oh well it is your responsibility to know we pulled this crap. There is no way to return to the grandfathered plan.

It was basically a scam to get clients off the grandfathered plan. AT&T clearly does not value long time customers.

You're still on the grandfathered plan. It just costs more and includes more data. Why would they allow anyone to opt in for a price increase?

Again, this was a price increase. The additional data was just a bonus. The goal was raising your price. 

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

This is a standard practice AT$T uses to increase their revenue. I get several emails a week from them trying to upsell DirectTV, but, not one notification about doubling my data -THAT I DONT USE - for a small increase in my monthly bill.  Nothing.

I'm not the only one - it's clearly being done en masse. 

Unethical - plain and simple. 

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

Contact support and they should be able to sort it out.

Watch your bill. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@wareyore wrote:

This is a standard practice AT$T uses to increase their revenue. I get several emails a week from them trying to upsell DirectTV, but, not one notification about doubling my data -THAT I DONT USE - for a small increase in my monthly bill.  Nothing.

I'm not the only one - it's clearly being done en masse. 

Unethical - plain and simple. 

It has happened before, both At&t and Verizon raised line fees on legacy plans.  

Read the thread.   If you aren’t using the data, then look at one of the new plans, which may be cheaper for you.  

At&t (any carrier) does not use service contracts anymore.  When they started to phased

them out 5 years ago, if you didn’t see this coming, you were wearing blinders.   I sure as heck did.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@wareyore, it’s no secret companies use price increases to increase revenue. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.