Need help understanding your bill?
harryspar's profile

Guru

• 

552 Messages

Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 9:44 AM

New Admin Fee?

I hear everyone is getting a brand new fee, called the "MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEE".

What is it, how much is it, and what is it for?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:

I hear everyone is getting a brand new fee, called the "MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEE".

got this

MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEE
Effective May 1, 2013, the Administrative Fee will be $0.61 per
line per month for Consumer and Individual Responsibility User
(IRU) lines. For more information about the Administrative Fee,
please visit att.com/additionalcharges

Before anyone tries to jump n the yippie skippy I can leve with no etf wagon - it is an administrative surcharge, it does not affect the advertised cost of the base line - if you have the 39.99 dollar plan before taxes and fees it is still 39.99 after this

*Administrative Fee (Consumer and Individual Responsibility User (IRU) lines only)

The Administrative Fee helps defray certain expenses AT&T incurs, including but not limited to: (a) charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers; and (b) charges associated with cell site rents and maintenance.
Other AT&T Surcharges

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:

Everyone, 

Here is a link to definitions of all fees. Since this is such an active discussion, hopefully this will help. 

Additional Charges

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

It's $.61 per line, so if you have a 5 line family plan it's $3.06 a month, or $36.60 per year.

On my bill it's essentially a 3% price increase.

Multiplied by 115.78 million customers,  AT&T makes an extra $847 million a year!

And of course wingrider01 is correct. ATT won't let anyone out of their contract over this.

It's perfectly OK to raise the price if you call it an Administrative Fee. That isn't a breach of contract.

“Money is to Monopoly money as ethics is to business ethics.” - Frank Hubert

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:

It's $.61 per line, so if you have a 5 line family plan it's $3.06 a month, or $36.60 per year.

On my bill it's essentially a 3% price increase.

Multiplied by 115.78 million customers,  AT&T makes an extra $847 million a year!

And of course wingrider01 is correct. ATT won't let anyone out of their contract over this.

It's perfectly OK to raise the price if you call it an Administrative Fee. That isn't a breach of contract.

“Money is to Monopoly money as ethics is to business ethics.” - Frank Hubert

your bill must be areally small is 3.06 is 3 percent of the bill, less then 1 percent on mine and that includes the business contract

You have a choice you can go to another carrier - oh wait they have alerady been charging that fee for a number of years

Somebody pays for the infrastructure - no carrier is a not for profit industry, like everything costs go up,  so fees need to be increased, my sewer bill has increased an average of 18 percent every 6 months

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

1. Correct, my bill is really small.

2. The fact that other companies charge it is irrelevant. Three or four wrongs don't make a right. On the contrary the fact that the big wireless companies take turns matching each other's increases is an old story and is the closest to collusion they can get without going to jail. In competitive markets such as Europe prices are going down.

3. I have no problem with a company choosing to increase its prices, just not in the middle of a contract.
The fact that they are breaching a contract by making up a baloney name for the fee, is the crux of the matter

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Consistent with similar fees charged by other carriers, the monthly fee of 61 cents per line will help cover certain expenses, such as the charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers; and cell site rents and maintenance.

The Administrative Fee helps defray certain expenses AT&T incurs, including but not limited to:

• Charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers.
  • Charges associated with cell site rents and maintenance.
  • Even with this Administrative Fee, AT&T's average per-line fees will be less than those of most of our competitors. 

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

@Jamileh

Does that mean that the state sales tax will be assesed on the line charge before the Administrative Fee is added?

If it isn't a charge for the cell service than that's how it should be handled and I wonder if it wil

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:
1. Correct, my bill is really small.

2. The fact that other companies charge it is irrelevant. Three or four wrongs don't make a right. On the contrary the fact that the big wireless companies take turns matching each other's increases is an old story and is the closest to collusion they can get without going to jail. In competitive markets such as Europe prices are going down.

3. I have no problem with a company choosing to increase its prices, just not in the middle of a contract.
The fact that they are breaching a contract by making up a baloney name for the fee, is the crux of the matter

Is the cost of you voice plan exactly the same as it was before the fee addition - IE the line charge for a individual 450 minute plan is 39.99, it was this before the announcement of the additonal recover charge, it will be this after the fee assemesment, it is the ONLY portion of the service that cannot be removed without paying the etf, no breech of contract since the cost of the base line is exactly the same. fees for taxes, regualtory and recover charges are not considered as part of the contract - for example the state, local, federal taxes can be increased without you being able to contest it, same as with recovery fees, in the letter of the contract - which is all that counts, there is no breach

exactly the same with leasing a car, if the personal property tax rate of the home area goes up during the duration of the lease, those costs will be passed on without altering anything on the lease

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

Taxes are different than the company's operating costs.
All charges the wireless company makes are calculated to cover thier costs and then make some profit, naturally.
Acoording to your logic they should be allowed to add a fee for electricity, gas, employee salaries, advertising, lobbyists, caviar for the executives etc etc etc, and say that it's not a service price increase because they are covering thier costs.
I call it what it is.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:
Taxes are different than the company's operating costs.
All charges the wireless company makes are calculated to cover thier costs and then make some profit, naturally.
Acoording to your logic they should be allowed to add a fee for electricity, gas, employee salaries, advertising, lobbyists, caviar for the executives etc etc etc, and say that it's not a service price increase because they are covering thier costs.
I call it what it is.

[Please keep it courteous]

You may call it what it is, but it is still not a valid reason for playing yippiee skippie I can get out of my contract with no etf, just the fact ma'am

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.