New Admin Fee?

New Admin Fee?

[ Edited ]

I hear everyone is getting a brand new fee, called the "MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEE".

What is it, how much is it, and what is it for?

Message 1 of 87 (10,323 Views)
Expert

Re: New Fee?

cmeisenzahl wrote:

>> "I have no problem with a company choosing to increase its prices, just not in the middle of a contract.
The fact that they are breaching a contract by making up a baloney name for the fee, is the crux of the matter"

I agree, this is a legendary level of sophistry. 

you need to read your contract, terms of service and the other paperwork that was given to you or who ever pays for the account when it was signed. There is only one section of all your service that will allow a termination without an etf - or as you claim, breach of contract.

The only cost that can allow you to get out a the contract with no etf is the cost of the voice plan, if you sign for 700 minute 2 line family plan at 59.95, if that cost goes up to 69.95 3 months later you can cancel without an etf. Regulatory fees, federal, state, local taxes, recover fees, extra features such as texting and data plans going up are not part of the set that allows you to get out of jail free - aka breach of contract.

the simple fact that very few people read and understand what they sign is the promary cause of the diagreement.

Message 46 of 87 (2,810 Views)
Tutor

Re: New Fee?

I'm on a $15/mo tablet data plan so this $.61 represents a 4% increase on my bill. Like most everyone else here, I know bull hockey when I smell it and calling this an admin fee stinks to high heaven.

Instead of filing a complaint with some bureaucracy that will go nowhere, I plan to make it hit them in the pocketbook. I'll call their toll free support number every month this appears on my bill and tie up a customer service rep for way more than 61 cents of their time.

I suggest everyone else do the same. Do it while driving in your car or somewhere else where it doesn't take up any more of your day. Maybe when they realize people are upset they'll reconsider.

Message 47 of 87 (2,754 Views)

Re: New Admin Fee?

[ Edited ]

irontoby it still pays to file with BBC, FTC, and FCC. The complaints don't go nowhere, AT&T takes them seriously.

Message 48 of 87 (2,744 Views)
Tutor

I have filed a complaint on the FCC's website. 

AT&T asserts that their customer contract allows them to make up new fees because they feel like taking more money (rather than by government mandate), that customers are required to pay (or pay the ETF to leave). 

This practice, if it isn't illegal, is certainly unethical, and anti-consumer.  I don't care who else does it.  If all of their true competitors are engaging in the same practice, then what is required are laws that prevent the abuse of the practice.

I think T-Mobile is on the right track with their no-contract BYOD option.  Hopefully this will spread to the rest of the market, and we will be able to purchase our phones, and pay an un-subsidized non-contract price for mobile service.

Message 49 of 87 (2,674 Views)
Highlighted

The new fee's been featured in Time Magazine: http://business.time.com/2013/05/29/atts-new-61-cent-fee-highlights-wireless-nickel-and-diming/

The monthly fee they quote stays the same, so they can still compete on price, but customers wind up paying more... It defended its action with the “everybody else is doing it” excuse...“below the line” charges aren’t bundled into the base rate of your plan, and since they’re all lumped in with the regular sales tax you pay and given confusing, vague names, carriers hope you won’t really notice them, or will assume that they’re all taxes that go to government coffers, not their bottom line... “We really feel good about our wireless position. Revenues continue to grow with expanding margins,” AT&T CFO John Stephens told investors on the company’s conference call last month. (This, keep in mind, coming from the same company that says it needs customers to contribute to costs like renting and maintaining its cell towers.)

Message 50 of 87 (2,671 Views)

So this will be used by ATT for maintaining its cell towers? Does this mean that they'll be putting gas in their generators after the next big storm so we can have cell service for more than a day after the storm?

Message 51 of 87 (2,663 Views)

No, that'll be the Fuel Surcharge - coming soon!

Message 52 of 87 (2,639 Views)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

No, that'll be the Fuel Surcharge - coming soon!

Fuel surcharges are already in place - next

Message 53 of 87 (2,626 Views)

Coming soon - a Fuel Surcharge and a Fuel Administration Surcharge.

Message 54 of 87 (2,603 Views)
Mentor

I noticed the raise in my otherwise very regular AT&T bill this month and started looking in to it.  I found the Administrative Fee they snuck on there.

I have filed a complaint with the FCC regarding this practive, and I encourage everyone else to do the same.  The more complaints the FCC gets, the higher priority it will become for them to investigate this defrauding of customers.

Message 55 of 87 (2,575 Views)

Gldrush don't forget the FCC. BBB. and your state's attorney general.

Message 56 of 87 (2,563 Views)
Explorer

Attempt This Unless You Enjoy Paying More

Here is what I did and recommend everyone try this.  If you are still under contract, add up your months left in the contract and muliple by .61.  Call AT&T and ask for that much money back or for your fee to be waived, as you are under contract.  They should be able to add fees to people going month to month or to a new contract but NOT to people in a contract. 

They gave me $25 credit on my current bill.  This more then makes up for the extra money the fee will be in the rest of my contract with extra for the trouble of having to call them. 

I'm not saying you will get this, but I think its well worth the phone call.

Message 57 of 87 (2,537 Views)
Expert

Re: Attempt This Unless You Enjoy Paying More

bald_guy wrote:

Here is what I did and recommend everyone try this.  If you are still under contract, add up your months left in the contract and muliple by .61.  Call AT&T and ask for that much money back or for your fee to be waived, as you are under contract.  They should be able to add fees to people going month to month or to a new contract but NOT to people in a contract. 

They gave me $25 credit on my current bill.  This more then makes up for the extra money the fee will be in the rest of my contract with extra for the trouble of having to call them. 

I'm not saying you will get this, but I think its well worth the phone call.

regulatory and cost recovery fees are not part of the get out of etf free senario, they part of your contract that would casue a get of etf free is if they alter the price of your voice plan, like from 39.99 to 42.99 then you have a out. Period. So those fees can be added, increased, decrease, state, federal, local taxes can be increase the the rumored E911 cost recovery charge increase are all valid.
Message 58 of 87 (2,523 Views)
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by ATTJulieCS (Community Support)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

[ Edited ]

harryspar wrote:

I hear everyone is getting a brand new fee, called the "MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEE".

What is it, how much is it, and what is it for?

Everyone, 

Here is a link to definitions of all fees. Since this is such an active discussion, hopefully this will help. 

Additional Charges

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 59 of 87 (2,533 Views)
Explorer

Re: Attempt This Unless You Enjoy Paying More

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree.  This isn't no manadory fee that is going to the goverment.  Just one they added for there own bottom line.  Be like me saying I decided to pay 1 dollar less each month.  If they put it on top of the bill or bottom, there is no real difference.

But anyway, not arguing with you about it, if you are a company kiss up, so be it.

Message 60 of 87 (2,487 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.