For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
irish33's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, August 4th, 2017 3:30 PM

Need help being refunded after being misled by Johnstown sales rep

Hello,

A few weeks ago, my dad went into the at&t store in the mall in Johnstown, PA, to buy a new phone for my mom as the buttons on her basic non-smart phone stopped functioning . 

After about ten minutes the sales person had sufficiently disoriented my dad to the point where he was convinced he needed to get a smart phone for his wife to replace her basic service phone, and because her smartphone made 3 SP for the group plan out of 4 lines, it was now necessary to jump from the 3G shared data plan ($40/mo) to the UNLIMITED plan ($120/mo) but don't worry he would save us money...

because my dad was also going to cancel his internet and cable tv plans and jump to att/direcTV's all in one plan, because why have cable internet when you can pay the same amount for a hot spot with slower speeds and a monthly data cap? 

The sales representative explained that through some fancy maneuvering like "back-dating", this plan would overall be a huge money saver, with a total monthly bill (wireless + home internet + cable tv) of around $220. 

The first bill(s) (directv bill plus att bill) totalled $498. Minus activation and one-time fees, the bills for the next 23 cycles will be around $350. 

Because of the the misrepresentation of the plan that my dad signed up for, the 14-cancellation period requirement is null and void. This is not a change of heart, this is one party failing to meet their agreement and breaking the contract. 

He needs for someone in management to take care of clicking the button that refunds and reverses this plan in its entirety, including the purchase of the unnecessary smart phone and including the directv. 

This is what he will be requiring in Johnstown whenever he gets back there (he travels for work). Simply accept the returned phone, resume 3G shared data plan, refund and remove internet and directv, and we will move forward from there without any legal action. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@irish33 Sorry.  

Four lines is $185 before tax for Unlimited PLUS and after the $10 autopay discount. But I think they have a DirecTV deal for about $68 for the FIRST year, and with another $25 off. If they got Unlimited CHOICE, it'd be another $30 off. You might make close to $220 for the plans (defiantly before tax) but not the hardware (depends how many phones they got).

There is no monthly data cap, it's unlimited. Unlimited Choice has a speed cap.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@irish33 This is a customer to customer forum, not customer support. No one from ATT is going to take any action on your request from your post here. I think getting your old shared data plan back is doable but you could just switch to one of the current Mobile Share Advantage shared data plans. It will likely cost less than your old 3GB plan because the line fees are $20 compared to the $25 on your old plan. As for the internet, directv or returning the phone after the 14 day return period, good luck. There is likely a 2 year contract involved. Anyway, you need to contact customer support directly. An alternative to calling is to send a private message to @ATTMobilityCare.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for agreeing and for your support. Yes, so the quoted price was
substantially lower than the price we are paying. You didn't include
DirecTV in your estimate, or tax. The sales representative did. You also
completely omitted the internet laptop connect fee which is added as an
extra line on the plan making 5 lines total, and an additional $32/mo plus
$45 activation fee and there absolutely is a cap after 22 GB of data, which
for home internet is practically nothing. And a speed cap and a data cap
are effectively the same thing but I can see you are adept at company shill
double-talk.

Which retail store do you work for?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@irish33  From what little information I gathered from your post. the service plan for combine TV and wireless will go up $50 a month for unlimited data.  

+ $75 for data plan, -25 for TV credit, +20 for added line, -20 for the reduced line fee from $25 to $20 each.  That doesn't take into account what his previous TV bill was, maybe $100 a month?  One time fees upgrade $20 on phone, $45 activation for a hotspot. In addition, any new TV, internet or wireless service will have a large first bill which covers more than one month of service.  This is not the regular bill.  It is NOT capped at 22 gigs.  Once a line reaches 22 gigs it is reprioritized and MIGHT experience slow data intermittently.  

Your dad can change his plan back, but will not be able to return phone or hotspot after the 14 day return period.    While a smartphone might be more than a basic phone to purchase, it is not always true. ATT has smartphones for $35 all the way up to $900.   The only basic phone online costs $50.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@irish33  This is the community,  and we are not employees.

The hotspot to connect a laptop is also unlimited data at $20 a month.  

Im curious as to what the cost of the previous TV and internet service was?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Liz,

"Thanks" for your "help" after "reading" my message. A contract works two
ways and if either party fails to meet their end of the contract then the
14 day stuff is not binding.

DirecTV has a 48-hour cancellation policy. I think crack dealers have
better customer service. What kind of product are you selling with such
customer satisfaction that you shortened your return window to forty eight
hours?

But I am sure there are plenty of reasonable, company sanctioned responses
for such a question.

I love that speeds MIGHT be reduced. That's gold. I'm looking for part time
work what do you get for these messages?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@irish33 wrote:
Liz,

"Thanks" for your "help" after "reading" my message. A contract works two

DirecTV has a 48-hour cancellation policy. I think crack dealers have
better customer service. What kind of product are you selling with such
customer satisfaction that you shortened your return window to forty eight
hours?

But I am sure there are plenty of reasonable, company sanctioned responses
for such a question.

I love that speeds MIGHT be reduced. That's gold. I'm looking for part time
work what do you get for these messages?

First off a contract is not always to ways...  Now I suggest you read the terms and conditions and get to know them really well.  You cant take legal action against att you signed that away...  You have to go thru arbitration.  ATT will gladly change the plan back but you still will have to pay for the equipment since its been 14 days.  Its just like best buy or any other store they have return dates they wont take stuff back after that.  That is also why equipment is now sold separate from cell agreements. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@irish33   You apparently missed it both times you were told this is the community, NOT ATT.  We are not employees, we are customers.  We just happen to be customers with a particular interest in all things mobile.  

Since your dad can't get out without significant ETF on TV service it might be a good idea to add up his old bills for TV, internet and phone, and see if they are close to next months regular billing on the plan that was set up for him.   Direct TV I'll cost him $25 a month.  That's dirt cheap.  

The first bill was high, but it includes one time charges and billing for more than one month service.  

Read the bill dates.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@irish33 wrote:
You didn't include
DirecTV in your estimate, or tax.

I specifically said it would be before tax. I also got you to $185 for unlimited PLUS, mentioned $68 more for DTV and took off another $25 for the credit from Unlimited Plus and mentioned another possible $30 off if it was CHOICE (but you don't get the $25 off then, so it's only $5 more). You didn't tell me which plan, makes it hard to do the math for you. Even the above clarification is confusing since you didn't mentioned the plan.

You also
completely omitted the internet laptop connect fee which is added as an
extra line on the plan making 5 lines total,

It wasn't clear in your message I thought the 4 the wasn't the SP was the hotspot.

and an additional $32/mo plus
$45 activation fee

Specifically mentioned there was NO hardware included, how could I list it if you didn't tell us.

So I've got to figure out which plan, which devices and how many lines and add in the activation fees for you? I assumed you could add in the one time activation fees yourself for the one month.

and there absolutely is a cap after 22 GB of data, which
for home internet is practically nothing.

Absolutely NOT.  After 22GB, IF the tower is overloaded you might experience a temporary slowdown and then it would go back to normal. If you're not accessing the tower right then and there it doesn't even affect you.

And a speed cap and a data cap
are effectively the same thing but I can see you are adept at company shill
double-talk.

They're so completely different.  

No speed cap means you can drink 2 liter bottle of Coca-Cola as fast as you want, a speed cap would mean your Mom says you can only have a ½ liter a day.

A data cap would be once you're through with the 2 liters, it's all gone (or you only get 1 oz per day after that).

Which retail store do you work for?

Who said I work for a retail store?  Ah! I see, you incorrectly think that I work for AT&T. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@irish33 wrote:
A contract works two

You'd actually have to read the contract to see what it covers.

I think crack dealers have better customer service.

Ah ha! This explains a bit more. 

I love that speeds MIGHT be reduced. That's gold. 

This is where it comes into reading the agreement beforehand. That's what the offer is, you don't need to take it.  And more importantly, it seems clear your skepticism is not backed by any actual experience.

You should actually search the forums here and other places (especially other places), there are people who use more that 1,000 GB and don't complain about speed reductions. I think the most I've ever used was mid 30GB.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.