Need help understanding your bill?
nb1104_'s profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 3:54 PM

My first bill is too expensive

We switched from sprint to ATT not even 2 weeks ago. Before the switch, we were quoted from $200 to $233 (monthly) but that’s before taxes. Anyway, I decided to get on the Chat with an agent and pretended that I am interested to switching to ATT. I asked how much it will be for the first bill, he told me it will be $233+tax+$30 (for 3 phones’ activation fees), but that didn’t seem accurate because my first bill just came up to $460... can someone please explain this to me? Thank you!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@nb1104_ wrote:

We switched from sprint to ATT not even 2 weeks ago. Before the switch, we were quoted from $200 to $233 (monthly) but that’s before taxes. Anyway, I decided to get on the Chat with an agent and pretended that I am interested to switching to ATT. I asked how much it will be for the first bill, he told me it will be $233+tax+$30 (for 3 phones’ activation fees), but that didn’t seem accurate because my first bill just came up to $460... can someone please explain this to me? 

It's hard without your bill, but here we go.

The activation fees should be per line, so that's $90 (3 times $30), but double-check the bill, I thought that went up.

First, read the bill, it breaks down all the charges. I'm assuming if you look at the date ranges it's more than one month. 

$460 - activation is $370 (please correct if your activation fees are higher).

Taxes and fees (for one month) are going to be $4-$9 a line, let's go with $20 for 3, you can tell me the exact amount when you look at the bill. So we're comparing $350 to $233 ($117 difference)

I'm going to estimate $78 of your $233 bill is phones. So your plan is $155-ish.  

So I'd guess you got billed for one billing period plus another 2-3 weeks.

You've got taxes/fees for those 2-3 weeks that I didn't add in AND I do not know your exact phone costs, so it's harder to get much closer than that.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@nb1104_ wrote:

We switched from sprint to ATT not even 2 weeks ago. Before the switch, we were quoted from $200 to $233 (monthly) but that’s before taxes. Anyway, I decided to get on the Chat with an agent and pretended that I am interested to switching to ATT. I asked how much it will be for the first bill, he told me it will be $233+tax+$30 (for 3 phones’ activation fees), but that didn’t seem accurate because my first bill just came up to $460... can someone please explain this to me? Thank you!!!

The first bill will include the prorated first month, so your bill is for about 1 1/2 months. There are activation fees, but I believe those are per line. Do you have any phone installments not included in the quote? If you have any promos, those usually take 3 billing cycles to start. 

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

It's $30 per line, you had $90 in activation fees. I would be willing to bet the rest is proration. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Your first bill is higher due to one time charges such as activation fees and you are paying for more than one month of service. All of the charges are listed on the bill, you should be able to easily tell what the recurring monthly charges will be going forward.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.