Need help understanding your bill?
lahsiv's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, November 22nd, 2012 5:06 PM

Month to Month plans and Smartphones

I want to purchase the Nokia Lumia 920 at the advertised retail price of $449.99 + taxes on the AT&T wireless website. During the checkout process I need to pick a month to month voice and data plan. The final checkout page shows $59.99 due monthly for the voice, data service and a one time $36.00 fee for activation.

The question I have is that upon receipt of the phone, if I call in and cancel the month to month service, will I be charged the $59.99 and $36.00 fees or any portion thereof?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

Your Termination Rights. Within the first 14 days after service activation, you may terminate your Agreement for any reason and not be required to pay an ETF. If you terminate within three (3) days of accepting the Agreement, AT&T will refund your activation fee, if any. However, you agree to pay AT&T for all fees, charges, and other amounts incurred and owed under your Agreement, and you agree to return to AT&T any Equipment you purchased from AT&T in connection with your Service Commitment. If you fail to return this Equipment, you will be charged the difference between the amount you paid AT&T for the Equipment and the amount you would have been charged for the Equipment had you not agreed to a Service Commitment.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

AT&T's return policy as of 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE. but honestly it is quicker and easier an less of a hassl to get the phone in store than any where else if available.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks wilcre. I don't want to return the device because I am paying in full but only cancel the month-month voice/data service. I will go through the ETF policy link but very quickly, do you know if I will be required to pay for the 1st month or the activation fee if I cancel the service within the 14 day grace period?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for that bit of information. From the ETF link:

How do I cancel service?

Call the number on your invoice or receipt to cancel service. Early termination fees may apply. See Returns by Device.

AT&T will refund any activation fee you might have paid if you cancel service within three days of activation.

Please note that you may have to return any handsets and accessories purchased with the service before service can be cancelled.

I am thinking that the "return any handsets and accessories" bit won't apply in my case because I will be paying the advertised retail price.

I will post back on how it goes to close the loop.

Thanks much.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi, 

Can you please update whether you had return your device and what were the ETF fees for your 920? 

Thanks!

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Hi. I'm looking into exactly the same thing, purchasing the Nokia Lumia 920 at 'no contract' price of $449.00 and availing of the cheapest required service which is the month to month. Did you get any answer from AT&T what the liabilities are for canceling the month to month service agreement? Do you know if the phone can be unlocked after canceling the service? I will be residing abroad for an indefinite period of time and will be using the phone in Asia and want to make sure that the phone can be used with any local SIM card. Thanks.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@ligayatg wrote:

Hi. I'm looking into exactly the same thing, purchasing the Nokia Lumia 920 at 'no contract' price of $449.00 and availing of the cheapest required service which is the month to month. Did you get any answer from AT&T what the liabilities are for canceling the month to month service agreement? Do you know if the phone can be unlocked after canceling the service? I will be residing abroad for an indefinite period of time and will be using the phone in Asia and want to make sure that the phone can be used with any local SIM card. Thanks.

the phone will be locked to ATT even at a no contract price, since it is exclusive to att the unlock code will more then likely not be available for at least 10 months to a year.

Month to month has no etf, you pay the final bill that is not pro-rated and that is it, you need to make sure when the account is set up that it is not a 2 year contract, that is the biggest error I have seen - the people are not used to setting up a no-contract account

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the info. Would you know if the 'unlock code' sold on eBay for the Nokia Lumia 920 work? Thanks.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@ligayatg wrote:

Thanks for the info. Would you know if the 'unlock code' sold on eBay for the Nokia Lumia 920 work? Thanks.

no idea, but I put very little faith in 3rd party unlockers

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

I buy unlock codes all the time on Ebay without trouble, but some phones have expensive unlock codes and then be careful, they say they will give your money back but it's a hassle.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.