Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Mobile data on usage detail for texts

Contributor

Mobile data on usage detail for texts

My bill shows mobile data on my usage detail under text messages. I was told that is for 3rd party app messages like fb messenger or yahoo messenger. Is that the only reason that would be on there?
Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert

Re: Mobile data on usage detail for texts

There is no way to know if any data usage is from a third party messaging app vs any other app. Data is data. So is there other data usage listed elsewhere on your bill or is all your data usage mixed in with your text messages?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
Contributor

When I click on data usage it goes into my text messages & shows me mobile data. I "chatted" with an att rep who told me it was from a 3rd party messenger. Is that incorrect?
Message 3 of 21
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Bellybaby11
‎10-28-2016 5:41 PM

That is incorrect. ATT does not know if the data is from a third party messenger. It could just as easily be data from a web browser or any other app. In fact, each data usage entry is almost always a combination of data used by all apps on the phone, not one specific app. The chat agent was wrong.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 21
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Bellybaby11
‎10-28-2016 5:41 PM

If you are looking at "text/data" on your bill, both are listed, but are not the same.  As seen here.

IMG_3228.JPG

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 21
Contributor

Thanks guys!!! They had me questioning my boyfriends loyalty... smh 😥

Message 6 of 21
Contributor

I am having a similar issue in the way of usage details. One phone number is not showing up. All of my other texts (iMessage and SMS) show up fine, it's just this one specific number that is not showing. Which is of course the number I really need for documentation purposes. Does anyone know what this could be???
Message 7 of 21
ACE - Expert

@StacyEee iMessages do not show up on your account usage. iMessage is an Apple system, ATT has no visibility into their system. If you are seeing messages sent to iPhones, then they are regular SMS texts and not iMessages. The one iphone you aren't seeing is probably because you only send iMessages to that number.

Message 8 of 21
Contributor

Well let me go ahead and tell you THEY/WHOEVER is WRONG obviously don't know what they are talking about, now just to tell you YES it is from a 3rd party text/SMS or calling app!!! If it were ANY of your DATA you use on a normal basis your bill would be COVERED in DATA on the bill and that's why you know it's a text/calling app, yes of course your bill has data usage but the ONLY thing as far as your CALLING LIST goes that's only for calls in/out, or text/MMs, SMS in or out that's all it will consist of

Message 9 of 21
Contributor

So when it says 3rd party content what exactly does that mean, it has started showing up fairly often last week or so on my fiances line only

Message 10 of 21
Contributor

Ya what does the 3rd party content mean? I am having the same problem. I is only showing 3rd party content under the text logs of my husbands line. Does that mean he is messaging or calling someone through an app?

Message 11 of 21
Contributor

Yes. Please someone tell me what this means? The same is happening ONLY on my husbands line!

Message 12 of 21
Highlighted
Contributor

Mobile data shows up on my phone without numbers why?

Message 13 of 21
Contributor

I also noticed that when i log into my account and check the data,  text, call log that i do not see under MY phone number on our account, any "mobile data" usage. When I select my BOYFRIEND'S number I see, mobile data, and i know that he has used "text me now"  and "messenger" to avoid me seeing their numbers come up in his call log, in which, it is very easy to copy and paste onto the search system on messenger and facebook to see who the number might belong to. He has talked to 4 different females by doing so and out came the truth but swears that he has not cheated on me and blah blah blah but now that he has caught on to the fact that I can "stalk"---chh-chh-chh-aHaahaa, i have noticed the "mobile data" come up every day. So hopefully an "internet genius" will stumble onto our cries for help and give us a real explanation cz this shhhzz is for the birds...lol PLEASE HELP!!!??!!!

Message 14 of 21
Contributor

What does it mean when in you detailed bill it only has numbers in some places “62262”, or diff short numbers? Why can’t insee all of our text? We both use i message... my number will show up under text long not only sometimes. Is he using a txt free and calling app so it don’t show up on bill?

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support