Need help understanding your bill?
lshingledecker's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, June 8th, 2016 5:26 PM

Mobile Termination Policy

Can someone please point me to where the wireless customer agreement says that final payments after termination is not prorated? I terminated my account on the first day of the new billing cycle and was charged for the full month due to "policy". However, I can't find on the website where it says this.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

The actual clause you are looking for is in paragraph 1.5:

1.5 How Does AT&T Calculate My Bill?
Usage and monthly fees will be billed as specified in your customer service summary or rate plan information online. If the Equipment you order is shipped to you, your Services may be activated before you take delivery of the Equipment so that you can use it promptly upon receipt. Thus, you may be charged for Services while your Equipment is still in transit. If, upon receiving your first bill, you have been charged for Services while your Equipment was in transit, you may contact Customer Care 1-800-331-0500 to request a credit. Except as provided below, monthly Services and certain other charges are billed one month in advance, and there is no proration of such charges if Service is terminated on other than the last day of your billing cycle. Monthly Service and certain other charges are billed in arrears if you're a former customer of AT&T Wireless and maintain uninterrupted Service on select AT&T rate plans, however, if you elect to receive your bills for your Services combined with your wireline phone bill (where available) you will be billed in advance as provided above. You agree to pay for all services used with your Device.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

As noted, your service runs month to month , just like rent, no partial months.

This is the same policy as every other carrier.  You will find absolutely no carrier post or prepaid, that prorates final bills.

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#whatIsTheTermOfMyService

image.jpeg

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Here is Verizon's terms of service...

image.png

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

@liz dance 40 - using your "month to month" argument about rent doesn't make sense. I've always been prorated on my rent after my contract has terminated. So, I guess the proper thing AT&T should do then is at least allow access to your account for the period they are still billing you. Unfortunately, they are collecting money and not providing a service. It's a very sneaky way to get extra cash out of customers.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

I never had rent prorated.  Rent has always been month to month, as stated in every lease I ever had.  Therefore the term, "month to month". Not partial month to partial month. 

And as posted, this is not an ATT policy alone.  Every single carrier is month to month.  

We advise those who are switching to do so 2-3 days before the end of a billing period.  

Once you port out your number, you account is canceled, how can you "access your account" ?

Once you port out all your numbers you have no access to your account, cloud storage etc.  

ATT didn't cancel your service, you did.  It's not their fault you left before using you full months service.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I know this is old but my question is very similar.  I am an old time ATT Wireless customer and my usage was billed in arears (post billing).  I was on a "Mobile Share Value" plan, 4 lines, 2 were off ATT Next phones, 2 were bring-your-own.  I ported 3 of 4 lines on 12/25 and billing cycle ended 12/26. I ported the 4th line on 12/27.  My bill with end date of 12/26 had a prorated Access charge for 3 lines and full price for the 4th line ($40).  None of the lines included the "Discount for Access" credit of $25 that was on all my previous bills since I got this plan in 2014.  Spent a few hours in total with a couple of Reps and after first being told that I was not elgible for the discount because I terminated before the end of the cycle, I ended up getting the disount for only the 2 lines that had previously been on NEXT.  And the one line that did complete the cycle wasn't not a NEXT phone.  Makes no sense at all.  Is there anything in the contracts that says the discount is not available if the service is cancelled before the end of the cycle?  Of course, that is inconsistent with giving me a credit on the two NEXT lines, but any support I can find would set me at ease. Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.