Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us NOW for a live “Ask an Expert” event!

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 20, 2014
6:48:17 PM
Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:27:58 AM

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 2:53:54 PM
(0)
Employee

The plan itself is the following:

$100+40/smartphone+15/basic phone

You get a $25 credit per line for your smartphones under the following circumstances:

1. Your contract on your phone started prior to February 2, 2014.
  2. You are on next for your upgrade.
  3. You have no contract (applies to bring your own device).

If you do not meet the requirements for the credit you will not receive it.  You can evaluate how you want to get the device, however it breaks down that if you are on this new plan and want a new phone then bring your own device or next will come out costing you the least.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
573 replies
(21) Me too
(21) Me too
View all replies
(573)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 7:20:26 AM
(0)
Mentor
Actually, it IS fraudulent because the phone representatives do not "clearly state" "OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING." In fact, even when questioned repeatedly they still insist that its not going to increase the price of what I'm paying. If they explained that, do you think all these people would be complaining? I asked the rep at least a dozen times if a replacement phone would increase my bill and he repeatedly insisted it would not. That is fraud!
Actually, it IS fraudulent because the phone representatives do not "clearly state" "OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING." In fact, even when questioned repeatedly they still insist that its not going to increase the price of what I'm paying. If they explained that, do you think all these people would be complaining? I asked the rep at least a dozen times if a replacement phone would increase my bill and he repeatedly insisted it would not. That is fraud!

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

241 of 574 (1,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 7:22:47 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on May 21, 2014 at 7:24:10 AM

rickmagley wrote:

Isn't that the definition of "No annual service contract"? By the way this is also mentioned on the TV commercial, sorry not fraud

rickmagley wrote:

Isn't that the definition of "No annual service contract"? By the way this is also mentioned on the TV commercial, sorry not fraud

[ Edited ]
242 of 574 (1,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 7:23:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

Somewhere, buried in the horrible disorganization that is the AT&T website it may "clearly state" this, but if you're on the phone with a representative, you're trusting them to tell you the truth. They are lying. They lied to me and they apparently are lying to many, many others.

If you have AT&T stock, sell it! With practices like this, they'll eventually go down.

Somewhere, buried in the horrible disorganization that is the AT&T website it may "clearly state" this, but if you're on the phone with a representative, you're trusting them to tell you the truth. They are lying. They lied to me and they apparently are lying to many, many others.

If you have AT&T stock, sell it! With practices like this, they'll eventually go down.

Re: New $160 plan is not $160 - if you upgrade 4 phones after signing up it's $260

243 of 574 (1,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 7:26:59 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Sang169 on May 21, 2014 at 7:41:48 AM

I currently have a total of 5 lines on my 700 minutes family plan, starting 6/2 my plan will be switch over to 10GB mobile shared plan. My questions is will there be any activation fee or any other fees for bringing my 2 own smartphones to the plan? In total on 6/2 I will have a total of 7 lines on the account.

I currently have a total of 5 lines on my 700 minutes family plan, starting 6/2 my plan will be switch over to 10GB mobile shared plan. My questions is will there be any activation fee or any other fees for bringing my 2 own smartphones to the plan? In total on 6/2 I will have a total of 7 lines on the account.

Re: Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
244 of 574 (1,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 7:27:07 AM
(0)
Expert

rickmagley wrote:

that image was from the main site for the mobile value share plan, labeled step 2, right afte step 1 - pick a smartphone, all on the same exact web page display. I will happily keep my ATT stock, is has had a great track record over the year, now with the agreement to purchase driectv waiting  for fcc approval it will only go up, not to mention the profit from the directv stock I own. One other thing, att wireless has had the lowest churn rate of any carrier for multiple years

rickmagley wrote:

that image was from the main site for the mobile value share plan, labeled step 2, right afte step 1 - pick a smartphone, all on the same exact web page display. I will happily keep my ATT stock, is has had a great track record over the year, now with the agreement to purchase driectv waiting  for fcc approval it will only go up, not to mention the profit from the directv stock I own. One other thing, att wireless has had the lowest churn rate of any carrier for multiple years

Re: New $160 plan is not $160 - if you upgrade 4 phones after signing up it's $260

245 of 574 (1,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 9:09:19 AM
(0)
Voyager

wingrider01 wrote:

Jfraunberger wrote:

It clearly states 10gb 4phones$100 and$15/line up to ten lines. But be careful if you upgrade a phone. They will charge $40 for the new line. Very deceptive 

How exactly is this "deceptive", it clearly states "No annual service contract", RIF

Everybody is saying to read the fine print, but the **** footnote might be what is misleading everybody.  It uses the phrase "as of" in a weird way (imo).  "as of" usually means "beginning on", e.g "as of 2/1/14, the rate will be $15".  So anyone signing up today for a 2 yr agreement would obviously assume he'd pay $15 since it is after 2/1/14.

wingrider01 wrote:

Jfraunberger wrote:

It clearly states 10gb 4phones$100 and$15/line up to ten lines. But be careful if you upgrade a phone. They will charge $40 for the new line. Very deceptive 

How exactly is this "deceptive", it clearly states "No annual service contract", RIF

Everybody is saying to read the fine print, but the **** footnote might be what is misleading everybody.  It uses the phrase "as of" in a weird way (imo).  "as of" usually means "beginning on", e.g "as of 2/1/14, the rate will be $15".  So anyone signing up today for a 2 yr agreement would obviously assume he'd pay $15 since it is after 2/1/14.

246 of 574 (1,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 9:37:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

rickmagley wrote:

So in your case, what someone tells you overrides whatever may be stated on a written (either print or electronic) contract that you sign?  Or to put it another way--do you deal only with verbal contracts?  If someone tells you one thing but the actual contract states something different from what that person told you, and you sign said contract...how exactly would one be able to argue that he/she was misled or deceived?  Oh wait, you people will argue that the contract didn't mention anything that would contradict what the person told you...just like how you folks have been arguing about how there was nothing in the commercials that mentioned how exactly the $15/line rate worked.

If you folks are gonna keep arguing about how the ads and such are so deceptive and/or misleading, then how is it that countless others (like myself) knew exactly what they were signing up for and have had no qualms about how the MSV plans worked, as far as charges are concerned?

rickmagley wrote:

So in your case, what someone tells you overrides whatever may be stated on a written (either print or electronic) contract that you sign?  Or to put it another way--do you deal only with verbal contracts?  If someone tells you one thing but the actual contract states something different from what that person told you, and you sign said contract...how exactly would one be able to argue that he/she was misled or deceived?  Oh wait, you people will argue that the contract didn't mention anything that would contradict what the person told you...just like how you folks have been arguing about how there was nothing in the commercials that mentioned how exactly the $15/line rate worked.

If you folks are gonna keep arguing about how the ads and such are so deceptive and/or misleading, then how is it that countless others (like myself) knew exactly what they were signing up for and have had no qualms about how the MSV plans worked, as far as charges are concerned?

247 of 574 (1,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 9:40:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sang169 wrote:

By looking at the AT&T Mobile Share FAQ ( http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=34uVhHKmlFO ) This question is asked and answered.  When you bring your own device, you will be charged a $36/device activation fee.  Other than that, you would pay the additiopnal $15/month per phone to add it to your Mobile Share plan, and if with the additional devices, you go over your 10GB "limit" you will be charged $15/GB for any additional usage above the 10GB included in your plan.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Sang169 wrote:

By looking at the AT&T Mobile Share FAQ ( http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=34uVhHKmlFO ) This question is asked and answered.  When you bring your own device, you will be charged a $36/device activation fee.  Other than that, you would pay the additiopnal $15/month per phone to add it to your Mobile Share plan, and if with the additional devices, you go over your 10GB "limit" you will be charged $15/GB for any additional usage above the 10GB included in your plan.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

248 of 574 (1,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 9:43:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

libralibra wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Jfraunberger wrote:

Guess it may take an attorney to determine what the exact meaning of "as of" is--from what I've read, it can mean either "up until" or "starting from/beginning on".  That you used the word "usually" when explaining the meaning of "as of" means pretty much bolsters my comment about the dual meaning of "as of" since the definition of "usually" does not imply "absolutely"...

libralibra wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Jfraunberger wrote:

Guess it may take an attorney to determine what the exact meaning of "as of" is--from what I've read, it can mean either "up until" or "starting from/beginning on".  That you used the word "usually" when explaining the meaning of "as of" means pretty much bolsters my comment about the dual meaning of "as of" since the definition of "usually" does not imply "absolutely"...

249 of 574 (1,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 9:52:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

rickmagley wrote:

This is clearly discussed in the Mobile Share Plans FAQ:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=34uVhHKmlFO

Copying directly from the FAQ:

If you want to keep our discounted Mobile Share Value pricing while upgrading to a new phone, you will need to do the following

• Purchase a phone via AT&T NextSM
  • Buy a phone at full cost with no annual service contract, or
  • Activate your own device

If you select a new 2 year agreement on your upgrade, you will no longer be eligible for the discounted pricing.

No. The discounted pricing is not available with a new 2-year agreement. To keep the discounted pricing when you upgrade to a new phone, you must purchase the phone via AT&T NextSM or at full price, or bring your own phone.

No. The discounted pricing is not available with a new 2-year agreement. To keep the discounted pricing when you upgrade to a new phone, you must purchase the phone via AT&T NextSM or at full price, or bring your own phone

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

rickmagley wrote:

This is clearly discussed in the Mobile Share Plans FAQ:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=34uVhHKmlFO

Copying directly from the FAQ:

If you want to keep our discounted Mobile Share Value pricing while upgrading to a new phone, you will need to do the following

• Purchase a phone via AT&T NextSM
  • Buy a phone at full cost with no annual service contract, or
  • Activate your own device

If you select a new 2 year agreement on your upgrade, you will no longer be eligible for the discounted pricing.

No. The discounted pricing is not available with a new 2-year agreement. To keep the discounted pricing when you upgrade to a new phone, you must purchase the phone via AT&T NextSM or at full price, or bring your own phone.

No. The discounted pricing is not available with a new 2-year agreement. To keep the discounted pricing when you upgrade to a new phone, you must purchase the phone via AT&T NextSM or at full price, or bring your own phone

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

250 of 574 (1,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 11:43:57 AM
(0)
Expert

libralibra wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Jfraunberger wrote:

Everybody is saying to read the fine print, but the **** footnote might be what is misleading everybody.  It uses the phrase "as of" in a weird way (imo).  "as of" usually means "beginning on", e.g "as of 3/18/14, the rate will be $15".  So anyone signing up today for a 2 yr agreement would obviously assume he'd pay $15 since it is after 2/1/14.

seems very simple and straight forward, if you as the 2 year agreement AS OF 3/8/14 not AFTER 3/8/14. Text book definitions (sorry just saw that the date changed from the original web page). Straight line logic, everyone has been screaming for a cost reduction IF they had their own devices free and clear or paid full price for them, now people are screaming that they deserve the reduced service cost even with a att subsidizing 400 or more dollars on a device. Can't have your cake and eat it to. Sorry as to me and a english teacher that I date - as of indicates that the agreement had to be in effect prior to the date. Want a upgrade and the discounted rate, pay full retail for the phone via the Next agreement.

libralibra wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Jfraunberger wrote:

Everybody is saying to read the fine print, but the **** footnote might be what is misleading everybody.  It uses the phrase "as of" in a weird way (imo).  "as of" usually means "beginning on", e.g "as of 3/18/14, the rate will be $15".  So anyone signing up today for a 2 yr agreement would obviously assume he'd pay $15 since it is after 2/1/14.

seems very simple and straight forward, if you as the 2 year agreement AS OF 3/8/14 not AFTER 3/8/14. Text book definitions (sorry just saw that the date changed from the original web page). Straight line logic, everyone has been screaming for a cost reduction IF they had their own devices free and clear or paid full price for them, now people are screaming that they deserve the reduced service cost even with a att subsidizing 400 or more dollars on a device. Can't have your cake and eat it to. Sorry as to me and a english teacher that I date - as of indicates that the agreement had to be in effect prior to the date. Want a upgrade and the discounted rate, pay full retail for the phone via the Next agreement.

251 of 574 (1,782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 11:55:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

It IS deceptive becuase when you're on the phone with the rep, you're trusing them to tell you the truth. They're lying and unless you go look for additional info on the web site, you'll get ripped off.

It IS deceptive becuase when you're on the phone with the rep, you're trusing them to tell you the truth. They're lying and unless you go look for additional info on the web site, you'll get ripped off.

252 of 574 (1,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 1:57:24 PM
(0)
Former Employee

rickmagley wrote:

You are right in that you should be able to trust that the rep is giving you correct information. Unfortunately, some reps are better at their jobs than others. What you most likely ran into was either a rep who did not understand the pricing themselves or there was bad communication between you and the rep but they weren't purposely lying to you. I guarentee you ATT does not tolerate lying to a customer as that is strictly against the Code of Business Conduct. I realize that doesn't make you fell any less ripped off, though.

rickmagley wrote:

You are right in that you should be able to trust that the rep is giving you correct information. Unfortunately, some reps are better at their jobs than others. What you most likely ran into was either a rep who did not understand the pricing themselves or there was bad communication between you and the rep but they weren't purposely lying to you. I guarentee you ATT does not tolerate lying to a customer as that is strictly against the Code of Business Conduct. I realize that doesn't make you fell any less ripped off, though.

253 of 574 (1,771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 3:42:05 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on May 21, 2014 at 3:42:43 PM

rickmagley wrote:

Guess I just don;t trust anyone, I never take a sales rep's at their word. I spend a week or two researching the information before I make a decision. I am a firm believer in personal research and responsibility. In Dieties we trust, all else pay cash

rickmagley wrote:

Guess I just don;t trust anyone, I never take a sales rep's at their word. I spend a week or two researching the information before I make a decision. I am a firm believer in personal research and responsibility. In Dieties we trust, all else pay cash

[ Edited ]
254 of 574 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2014 7:18:23 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by libralibra on May 22, 2014 at 9:39:37 AM

jane697 wrote:

libralibra wrote:

yeah, lawyers - lol.  that's pretty much my point.  they really blew it by using a term which can mean two completely opposite things, esp in a footnote which is supposed to clear things up, not make it more confusing.  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/as%20of defines it as "used to indicate a time or date at which something begins or ends".   I think the "begins" usage is far more common, but here they are using the "ends" definition, so it's hard to blame people for being upset.

If they had simply said "on 2-yr agreements started before 2/1/14", they could have avoided all this confusion.

jane697 wrote:

libralibra wrote:

yeah, lawyers - lol.  that's pretty much my point.  they really blew it by using a term which can mean two completely opposite things, esp in a footnote which is supposed to clear things up, not make it more confusing.  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/as%20of defines it as "used to indicate a time or date at which something begins or ends".   I think the "begins" usage is far more common, but here they are using the "ends" definition, so it's hard to blame people for being upset.

If they had simply said "on 2-yr agreements started before 2/1/14", they could have avoided all this confusion.

[ Edited ]
255 of 574 (1,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2014 7:03:19 AM
(0)
Mentor

Wow. Thats quite a principle to run a business on.

Wow. Thats quite a principle to run a business on.

256 of 574 (1,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2014 7:13:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

sandblaster wrote:

rickmagley wrote:

Yes, but ultimately the consumer has the final say as to whether to accept what is being told/explained to him--namely, by signing the contract.  Nobody's putting a gun to the consumers' heads demanding that they sign the contract sight unseen--if consumers can't be bothered to read the contract details...how is that AT&T's problem and/or fault?

Clearly there are plenty of folks out there who either don't believe in personal responsibility or that such applies only to other folks...

sandblaster wrote:

rickmagley wrote:

Yes, but ultimately the consumer has the final say as to whether to accept what is being told/explained to him--namely, by signing the contract.  Nobody's putting a gun to the consumers' heads demanding that they sign the contract sight unseen--if consumers can't be bothered to read the contract details...how is that AT&T's problem and/or fault?

Clearly there are plenty of folks out there who either don't believe in personal responsibility or that such applies only to other folks...

257 of 574 (1,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2014 3:57:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

In my case, I didn't sign a contract. In fact, I was told that NOTHING in my plan was changing. I never saw a contract. My ONLY information came from what the agent told me.

In my case, I didn't sign a contract. In fact, I was told that NOTHING in my plan was changing. I never saw a contract. My ONLY information came from what the agent told me.

258 of 574 (1,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2014 2:04:03 PM
(0)
Voyager

ALSO BEWARE OF UPGRADING!  I went through the normal upgrade process and was never told that by upgrading and signing a new 2 year agreement it would increase the monthly rate back to $40 per month.  So now I am locked in for an additional 2 years on this phone.  Customer Service at this company is the worst.  I talked to 4 different reps and was told it was "policy".  I do not know why I have been a loyal customer for over 20 years and it has been completley miserable.  I have 5 lines on this account for my family and continue to extend each as they expire, all on different dates, it totally screws up the Value Share. So you pay higher for each line as they renew but are still locked in on the higher price data plan.  I was even charged an upgrade fee and now I cannot cancel this line and was not told it no longer qualified for the Value Share discount.  I will cancel each account as they expire and put them on Verizon.  My business phone is on Verizon and it works much better in my area anyway and much better customer service. 

ALSO BEWARE OF UPGRADING!  I went through the normal upgrade process and was never told that by upgrading and signing a new 2 year agreement it would increase the monthly rate back to $40 per month.  So now I am locked in for an additional 2 years on this phone.  Customer Service at this company is the worst.  I talked to 4 different reps and was told it was "policy".  I do not know why I have been a loyal customer for over 20 years and it has been completley miserable.  I have 5 lines on this account for my family and continue to extend each as they expire, all on different dates, it totally screws up the Value Share. So you pay higher for each line as they renew but are still locked in on the higher price data plan.  I was even charged an upgrade fee and now I cannot cancel this line and was not told it no longer qualified for the Value Share discount.  I will cancel each account as they expire and put them on Verizon.  My business phone is on Verizon and it works much better in my area anyway and much better customer service. 

259 of 574 (1,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2014 5:42:44 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on May 25, 2014 at 5:44:56 PM

Yeah, the plan itself isnt bad, but it's a definitly an upset if you didn't know the details about it.

AT&T's just trying give customers the option to go the reduced pricing that places like tmobile or verizon offer now too, where you get no equipment discounts.

You can ask to see if you can go back to your old plans. It's not likely, but it's worth a shot.

You can return your phone, if it's with 14 days. That'll give you a chance to start over, see if the contract pricing or the Next program(no upgrade fee), or the full price is the best option for you.

The mobileshare plans without the discounts aren't meant to be much different in price than mid range familytalk plans, so worst case scenario, you might up back up there.

I don't understand complaints about the upgrade fee. It comes with the contract. It & the contract are optional. . It's been around for years. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Are you posting this after you reviewed the service summary AT&T sends when you upgrade?

And you can always cancel your line. Don't let them fool you into thinking you can't. You might have a fee, but you can do it.

-Alex

Yeah, the plan itself isnt bad, but it's a definitly an upset if you didn't know the details about it.

AT&T's just trying give customers the option to go the reduced pricing that places like tmobile or verizon offer now too, where you get no equipment discounts.

You can ask to see if you can go back to your old plans. It's not likely, but it's worth a shot.

You can return your phone, if it's with 14 days. That'll give you a chance to start over, see if the contract pricing or the Next program(no upgrade fee), or the full price is the best option for you.

The mobileshare plans without the discounts aren't meant to be much different in price than mid range familytalk plans, so worst case scenario, you might up back up there.

I don't understand complaints about the upgrade fee. It comes with the contract. It & the contract are optional. . It's been around for years. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Are you posting this after you reviewed the service summary AT&T sends when you upgrade?

And you can always cancel your line. Don't let them fool you into thinking you can't. You might have a fee, but you can do it.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
260 of 574 (1,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2014 5:04:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

I called customer service about adding a line to take advantage of the New Plan & was told I could upgrade my current phones & add a line for $160.00 per month but when I went to the store I was told that I would have to pay for the phones up front or monthly. Then they told me it was actually cheaper to pay $15 a month for each phone totaling $60 a month plus $160.00 then to add a line to my current plan which would cost $204 a month. Seriously, like I could not do the math and figure out that was crap!! I left the store &  called customer service & asjked to speak to a manager they left me on hold for 20 minutes & then finally hung up on me!!! Worst customer service ever!!!!!

I called customer service about adding a line to take advantage of the New Plan & was told I could upgrade my current phones & add a line for $160.00 per month but when I went to the store I was told that I would have to pay for the phones up front or monthly. Then they told me it was actually cheaper to pay $15 a month for each phone totaling $60 a month plus $160.00 then to add a line to my current plan which would cost $204 a month. Seriously, like I could not do the math and figure out that was crap!! I left the store &  called customer service & asjked to speak to a manager they left me on hold for 20 minutes & then finally hung up on me!!! Worst customer service ever!!!!!

261 of 574 (1,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 11:59:58 AM
(0)
Contributor
How about those of us that did not see the ads and called in to check on our plan and was given the sales pitch "NOT EXPLAINING" any of the "fine print". No matter which way you look at our plans now cost more than ever and it's ridiculous. AT&T WILL lose lots of customers over this.
How about those of us that did not see the ads and called in to check on our plan and was given the sales pitch "NOT EXPLAINING" any of the "fine print". No matter which way you look at our plans now cost more than ever and it's ridiculous. AT&T WILL lose lots of customers over this.

262 of 574 (1,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 12:29:11 PM
(0)
Employee

I expect a lot of people will be switch to 4gb ot 6gb plans when they get new contracts, and go back to pay close to what they were before.

A lot of people are treating the 10gb as just a temprary special

-Alex

I expect a lot of people will be switch to 4gb ot 6gb plans when they get new contracts, and go back to pay close to what they were before.

-Alex

263 of 574 (1,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 3:45:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm having a similar problem. My parents wanted to save money so we bundled our service, but they didn't explain the billing to them. Their bill went from $100 a month to close to $300!

They are giving us the same run around about two year contracts.

You might have me for now, but I'm gone at my first opportunity.
I'm having a similar problem. My parents wanted to save money so we bundled our service, but they didn't explain the billing to them. Their bill went from $100 a month to close to $300!

They are giving us the same run around about two year contracts.

You might have me for now, but I'm gone at my first opportunity.

Re: Complaint on bait and switch

264 of 574 (1,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2014 8:04:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

loganic wrote:

-Alex

Perhaps, but clearly switching down only makes sense if you have at most two lines on the plan--and even then, a two-line account would come out ahead cost-wise only on the 4 GB plan...and regardless, the savings assumes that your line(s) are not tied to a 2-year contract.  Essentially, downgrading a data plan makes sense only if you're a single-line customer or have users on your account who use very little cellular data--i.e., 2 GB or less shared amongst all of you.

Me--as I have 4 lines on my account, it would make NO sense at all for me to switch from 10 GB ($160) to the 4 ($170) or 6 GB ($180) plans--and yes, I realize that ATT isn't necessarily pushing the < 10 GB plans as being a great value for families...which is probably why you don't see them pushing the <10 GB plans in any of their TV commercials.  And yes I would save $20/month if I switch to the 2 GB plan but given my family's data usage history, 2 GB is nowhere nearly enough data.

loganic wrote:

-Alex

Perhaps, but clearly switching down only makes sense if you have at most two lines on the plan--and even then, a two-line account would come out ahead cost-wise only on the 4 GB plan...and regardless, the savings assumes that your line(s) are not tied to a 2-year contract.  Essentially, downgrading a data plan makes sense only if you're a single-line customer or have users on your account who use very little cellular data--i.e., 2 GB or less shared amongst all of you.

Me--as I have 4 lines on my account, it would make NO sense at all for me to switch from 10 GB ($160) to the 4 ($170) or 6 GB ($180) plans--and yes, I realize that ATT isn't necessarily pushing the < 10 GB plans as being a great value for families...which is probably why you don't see them pushing the <10 GB plans in any of their TV commercials.  And yes I would save $20/month if I switch to the 2 GB plan but given my family's data usage history, 2 GB is nowhere nearly enough data.

265 of 574 (1,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 2:23:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

I would like to keep this brief and to the point because this is basically a case of Bait and switch and being lied to by the employee of the AT&T store 1691 Artesia, Gardena, CA 310 532 1280, who are representing AT&T and their refusal to solve this problem and honor what I was promised by the store person originally and dealing with several AT&T representatives on the phone, who have made promises and adjustments that are all bogus and have to go through this every month explaining this situation every time.

The first week of March 2014 I went into the AT&T store in Gardena California to see about changing our Wireless Payment Plan. My Contract had expired and I told the representative named Octavio who waited on us that I want the Family and Friends plan that runs $160.00 per month but we only have 3 phones when the Plan says you need 4. He offered us for the same price 4 lines and a Mobil hot spot for the 4th line. We agreed to the plan which was 4 lines, unlimited texting and unlimited domestic calling and 10 gig of Data usage for $160 plus tax.

When we were getting ready to lead he said that we committee to a two year contract with this plan we can also upgrade our phones. My Wife and I both are Senior Citizens need to save money and agreed to do so.

So we went with the suggestions of the Octavio and went for the $160 a month plan and the two year contract so we upgrade the phone.

Ever since that day all our billing cycles are wrong and we are being charges for more than we agreed I have to spend a minimum of an hour on the phone with a AT&T rep who says they fixed the problem but each time I get the bill it’s wrong. Now they remove service that we agreed to on the original plan just to get the bill down a few dollars to try and appease me.

This is unacceptable and AT&T will not honor what we were told what we would get when we signed up. Everything was a lie and we were taken advantage by a sleek sales person who took advantage of use being that we are seniors and not that technically savvy. Plus the salesperson no longer works there so they told me at the Store to bad there is nothing that can do at the Store.

Desired Resolution

I want the Plan I was told we were getting $160 a Month for 4 lines, unlimited calls and Text 10 gigs and a free hot spot.

Or

Rescind the contract so we can change providers and stop this billing nightmare each month.

I would like to keep this brief and to the point because this is basically a case of Bait and switch and being lied to by the employee of the AT&T store 1691 Artesia, Gardena, CA 310 532 1280, who are representing AT&T and their refusal to solve this problem and honor what I was promised by the store person originally and dealing with several AT&T representatives on the phone, who have made promises and adjustments that are all bogus and have to go through this every month explaining this situation every time.

The first week of March 2014 I went into the AT&T store in Gardena California to see about changing our Wireless Payment Plan. My Contract had expired and I told the representative named Octavio who waited on us that I want the Family and Friends plan that runs $160.00 per month but we only have 3 phones when the Plan says you need 4. He offered us for the same price 4 lines and a Mobil hot spot for the 4th line. We agreed to the plan which was 4 lines, unlimited texting and unlimited domestic calling and 10 gig of Data usage for $160 plus tax.

When we were getting ready to lead he said that we committee to a two year contract with this plan we can also upgrade our phones. My Wife and I both are Senior Citizens need to save money and agreed to do so.

So we went with the suggestions of the Octavio and went for the $160 a month plan and the two year contract so we upgrade the phone.

Ever since that day all our billing cycles are wrong and we are being charges for more than we agreed I have to spend a minimum of an hour on the phone with a AT&T rep who says they fixed the problem but each time I get the bill it’s wrong. Now they remove service that we agreed to on the original plan just to get the bill down a few dollars to try and appease me.

This is unacceptable and AT&T will not honor what we were told what we would get when we signed up. Everything was a lie and we were taken advantage by a sleek sales person who took advantage of use being that we are seniors and not that technically savvy. Plus the salesperson no longer works there so they told me at the Store to bad there is nothing that can do at the Store.

Desired Resolution

I want the Plan I was told we were getting $160 a Month for 4 lines, unlimited calls and Text 10 gigs and a free hot spot.

Or

Rescind the contract so we can change providers and stop this billing nightmare each month.

Bait and Switching in AT&T stores being lied to. Taking advantage of Seniors?

266 of 574 (1,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 5:49:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
I need some help understanding how, I can have a payment plan of 160, then upgrade my phone at Wal-Mart expecting an activation fee. Next thing I know my bill is $300. No one informed me that my rate may increase by this decision. What is this AT&T ? No-one at the local stores care to help. No-one on the phone cares to help. My emails do not work. What do I do, because I refuse to pay an outrageous bill just for buying a phone for a dollar.
I need some help understanding how, I can have a payment plan of 160, then upgrade my phone at Wal-Mart expecting an activation fee. Next thing I know my bill is $300. No one informed me that my rate may increase by this decision. What is this AT&T ? No-one at the local stores care to help. No-one on the phone cares to help. My emails do not work. What do I do, because I refuse to pay an outrageous bill just for buying a phone for a dollar.

$90 dollar rate increase because i bought a phone at walmart

267 of 574 (1,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 8:19:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
If you are on the new mobile share plan, that $160 plan is only if all lines are out of contract. Lines under contract are $40 per line.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
If you are on the new mobile share plan, that $160 plan is only if all lines are out of contract. Lines under contract are $40 per line.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

Re: $90 dollar rate increase because i bought a phone at walmart

268 of 574 (1,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 8:36:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

corey.a.tanner wrote:

Regretfully, you have to pay for the phone one way or another.  You either pay for the phone by paying full price for teh phone when you buy it, or you pay for it by paying a higher service fee when you get the phone for a discount with a 2 year contract.

The peole at WalMart don't care about the AT&T policies or terms, they just want to push the product out the door, and their store makes more profit by selling you a contract phone because AT&T subsidizes them  to sell it to you at a discount.

If you read your bill before the upgrade, you would have seen that you were getting a $25 discount per phone for being "Out of Contract" (or under a contract that started prior to 02/01/2014).  When you purchased the new phone with a 2 year contract you no longer qualified for that $25 per phone discount, so that's why your bill would have gone up.

We need a new saying, some thing like "There ain't no such thing as a free phone" (parody of the old saying "There ain't no such thing as a feww lunch").  You pay for the phone one way or another.  The difference now is that prior to the new Mobile Share Value Plan introductions, everyone paid for the phone subsidy, even if they were not under a contract.  Now if you are not under a contract, you get the discount to compensate for that.  Once you sign a new contract, you lose the discount.  This is a huge win for anyone not under contract, but it seems to be a huge shock to people who want to upgrade and not have to pay for their new phone...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

corey.a.tanner wrote:

Regretfully, you have to pay for the phone one way or another.  You either pay for the phone by paying full price for teh phone when you buy it, or you pay for it by paying a higher service fee when you get the phone for a discount with a 2 year contract.

The peole at WalMart don't care about the AT&T policies or terms, they just want to push the product out the door, and their store makes more profit by selling you a contract phone because AT&T subsidizes them  to sell it to you at a discount.

If you read your bill before the upgrade, you would have seen that you were getting a $25 discount per phone for being "Out of Contract" (or under a contract that started prior to 02/01/2014).  When you purchased the new phone with a 2 year contract you no longer qualified for that $25 per phone discount, so that's why your bill would have gone up.

We need a new saying, some thing like "There ain't no such thing as a free phone" (parody of the old saying "There ain't no such thing as a feww lunch").  You pay for the phone one way or another.  The difference now is that prior to the new Mobile Share Value Plan introductions, everyone paid for the phone subsidy, even if they were not under a contract.  Now if you are not under a contract, you get the discount to compensate for that.  Once you sign a new contract, you lose the discount.  This is a huge win for anyone not under contract, but it seems to be a huge shock to people who want to upgrade and not have to pay for their new phone...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Re: $90 dollar rate increase because i bought a phone at walmart

269 of 574 (1,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 9:35:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was very disappointed today to learn that after 21 years of being a loyal AT&T customer they do not make any effort to keep me as a customer.  I went in to purchase a new phone today.  I had a very old phone when we switched over to the family share plan for four.  It was not even a smart phone.  I shopped around to compare prices and Radio Shack had the IPhone 5s for $80 plus the activation with a two year plan.  When they were setting it up in the system I was told that AT&T was eliminating my $25 credit on my share plan and that it would go up from $160 to $185 per month for two years.  So basically I was going to pay $550 more on the family plan over the two year term.  So in total I would pay $80 plus tax, $35 activation fee plus  $550.  A  total of $665.  We called AT&T and spoke to a rep and then to a manager.  I was told by the manager that for any upgrade we would lose the $25 credit raising our bill by $25 per month per upgrade. If all of my family members decided to upgrade we would pay $100 more a month.  

I then went back to the AT &T retail store and decided to get the next plan for the IPhone 5s.  I was told I would have to pay approximately $56.00 in taxes upfront and I would pay $32.50 a month for 12 months.  So I would pay $390  plus the $56 in taxes a total of $496.  I understood I would own the phone then.  Well  when i was going to sign the contract it stated it was $32.50 a month for 20 months or $650 over the 20 months.  I questioned it and was told that it was 20 months and I would own the phone but I only had to pay 12 months to upgrade.  I am certain that is the way AT& T trains it personnel.  AT&T is very shady and as I am reading in this forum there are a lot of dissatisfied customers.  It doesn't seem to me that AT&T cares and only wants to see what it can get away with. Just tell people upfront what you need to get out of them to make your revenue margin.  Tell me that you need to get $660 out of me for the IPhone or whatever price it really is for what ever phone I chose.I am certain that in a few months when people catch on to the shadiness of the family plan AT&T will come up with another program.  It seems to me that a business as big as AT&T should be more reputable and take care of it's customers.  Why don't they tell people the way it really is and be upfront with them.  I am not happy and I am seriously rethinking being an AT&T customer. I am looking a Verizon.

I was very disappointed today to learn that after 21 years of being a loyal AT&T customer they do not make any effort to keep me as a customer.  I went in to purchase a new phone today.  I had a very old phone when we switched over to the family share plan for four.  It was not even a smart phone.  I shopped around to compare prices and Radio Shack had the IPhone 5s for $80 plus the activation with a two year plan.  When they were setting it up in the system I was told that AT&T was eliminating my $25 credit on my share plan and that it would go up from $160 to $185 per month for two years.  So basically I was going to pay $550 more on the family plan over the two year term.  So in total I would pay $80 plus tax, $35 activation fee plus  $550.  A  total of $665.  We called AT&T and spoke to a rep and then to a manager.  I was told by the manager that for any upgrade we would lose the $25 credit raising our bill by $25 per month per upgrade. If all of my family members decided to upgrade we would pay $100 more a month.  

I then went back to the AT &T retail store and decided to get the next plan for the IPhone 5s.  I was told I would have to pay approximately $56.00 in taxes upfront and I would pay $32.50 a month for 12 months.  So I would pay $390  plus the $56 in taxes a total of $496.  I understood I would own the phone then.  Well  when i was going to sign the contract it stated it was $32.50 a month for 20 months or $650 over the 20 months.  I questioned it and was told that it was 20 months and I would own the phone but I only had to pay 12 months to upgrade.  I am certain that is the way AT& T trains it personnel.  AT&T is very shady and as I am reading in this forum there are a lot of dissatisfied customers.  It doesn't seem to me that AT&T cares and only wants to see what it can get away with. Just tell people upfront what you need to get out of them to make your revenue margin.  Tell me that you need to get $660 out of me for the IPhone or whatever price it really is for what ever phone I chose.I am certain that in a few months when people catch on to the shadiness of the family plan AT&T will come up with another program.  It seems to me that a business as big as AT&T should be more reputable and take care of it's customers.  Why don't they tell people the way it really is and be upfront with them.  I am not happy and I am seriously rethinking being an AT&T customer. I am looking a Verizon.

270 of 574 (1,274 Views)