Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 20, 2014
6:48:17 PM
Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:27:58 AM

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 2:53:54 PM
(0)
Employee

The plan itself is the following:

$100+40/smartphone+15/basic phone

You get a $25 credit per line for your smartphones under the following circumstances:

1. Your contract on your phone started prior to February 2, 2014.
  2. You are on next for your upgrade.
  3. You have no contract (applies to bring your own device).

If you do not meet the requirements for the credit you will not receive it.  You can evaluate how you want to get the device, however it breaks down that if you are on this new plan and want a new phone then bring your own device or next will come out costing you the least.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
573 replies
(21) Me too
(21) Me too
View all replies
(573)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 2:43:02 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 16, 2014 at 2:43:51 PM

Maybe I misunderstood, I got the sense she was talking about equipment charges or something to that effect, but I suppose it could be basic services.

Here's the rates that we're referencing:

www.myattrpc.com

I suspect, some of the details might have been rushed through or glossed over, because the plans/options would have been reviewed anyways  when you were originally reviewing that online  For better or worse, it might've been assumed you knew what to expect.

AT&T sends an email to the address on file on the day of ugrade to make sure you have an idea what's coming.

Can you clarify, what are the $25 charges specifically?

-Alex

Maybe I misunderstood, I got the sense she was talking about equipment charges or something to that effect, but I suppose it could be basic services.

Here's the rates that we're referencing:

www.myattrpc.com

I suspect, some of the details might have been rushed through or glossed over, because the plans/options would have been reviewed anyways  when you were originally reviewing that online  For better or worse, it might've been assumed you knew what to expect.

AT&T sends an email to the address on file on the day of ugrade to make sure you have an idea what's coming.

Can you clarify, what are the $25 charges specifically?

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: not happy

[ Edited ]
151 of 574 (2,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 4:04:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I believe that they are upset because they are on the new mobile share plan, got a subsidized phone and then the plan went up $25 because they are now in contract, not realizing that getting a subsidized phone caused phone plan to increase.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
I believe that they are upset because they are on the new mobile share plan, got a subsidized phone and then the plan went up $25 because they are now in contract, not realizing that getting a subsidized phone caused phone plan to increase.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

152 of 574 (2,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 4:52:59 PM
(0)
Expert

cla12170 wrote:
Wingrider your comparison is irrelevant I don't think anyone purchases cars over the phone. So actually in the past before the internet took over everyone lives you didn't do research in that way. Yes there were ways to look into things but you spoke to company representatives and received information and based your decision on that. I should still be able to speak with a sales rep that represents att and recieve accurate information about their product and services. I should be able to trust they are informed and honest. I should not have to research on line whether they are inaccurate and dishonest. Thats a problem in this day and age.

called a metaphor - again research is the key. Are you talking back in the age of DarpaNet? Before the internet you walked into a retail outlet and purchased, read the printed matieral that was available and made an informed decision that way

cla12170 wrote:
Wingrider your comparison is irrelevant I don't think anyone purchases cars over the phone. So actually in the past before the internet took over everyone lives you didn't do research in that way. Yes there were ways to look into things but you spoke to company representatives and received information and based your decision on that. I should still be able to speak with a sales rep that represents att and recieve accurate information about their product and services. I should be able to trust they are informed and honest. I should not have to research on line whether they are inaccurate and dishonest. Thats a problem in this day and age.

called a metaphor - again research is the key. Are you talking back in the age of DarpaNet? Before the internet you walked into a retail outlet and purchased, read the printed matieral that was available and made an informed decision that way

Re: Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

153 of 574 (2,132 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 6:22:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

hme83 wrote:

Fortunately at&t has finally brought a pricing plan to the table that can benefit single line users. Smiley Happy  I changed my plan to a single line user MSV plan the day before my billing cycle ended, and my April payment is $61 instead of the $91 I'd been paying for the smallest voice, text, and data (my data usage is < 1GB/month), using the device that I choose to use - which happens to be a smartphone. 

Similarly, I use phones for well beyond 2 years - I'm coming up on 3 years of use with my Nokia E7, and I've never had a phone get lost, stolen, or broken.  I pay more to purchase non-branded (non-subsidized) devices, take care of them, and typically use them until advances in the network technology simply make a particular device difficult to continue to use; then they become "backups". lol.

sandblaster wrote:

T-Boy wrote:

You are dreaming if you think the average person can keep a smartphone 4 or 5 years. Lost, broken, stolen, dead battery. etc. Your numbers don't add up. You don't save $50 a month unless there are multiple lines or you had the worse single line plan in America. If you have more than one line wait till one breaks, loses, or has a phone stolen and see how much you save. A new phone will add at least $25 a month to your bill for 26 months. Some might come out but most will not.

I'm not dreaming at all. My iphone 4 is still in use and in excellent condition. I have no doubt my iPhone 5 will last another 2 years. You are correct that my savings are on a multi line plan. Single line plans won't get the same savings, if any. Your argument about the cost to replace a lost or stolen phone does not really hold either because you can't get a new discounted phone until your contract has expired. If you have to replace your phone while under contract, you will pay full price too. Also, there are two installment options on Next, 20 and 26 months. There are a number of phones that are $25 or less a month for 20 months. 

You have no idea how long your phone will last. If you have 4 lines on your account and you think they will all last 4 or 5 years good luck to your plans. Then add a couple of $700 phones to your bill and see how much you saved. In case you failed to notice the ones complaining are the ones that just got new phones and their bill went up from what they were paying. Now, try to let this ring a bell for you. "Their bills went up from what they were paying when they got a new phone."  Ding, Ding.

hme83 wrote:

Fortunately at&t has finally brought a pricing plan to the table that can benefit single line users. Smiley Happy  I changed my plan to a single line user MSV plan the day before my billing cycle ended, and my April payment is $61 instead of the $91 I'd been paying for the smallest voice, text, and data (my data usage is < 1GB/month), using the device that I choose to use - which happens to be a smartphone. 

Similarly, I use phones for well beyond 2 years - I'm coming up on 3 years of use with my Nokia E7, and I've never had a phone get lost, stolen, or broken.  I pay more to purchase non-branded (non-subsidized) devices, take care of them, and typically use them until advances in the network technology simply make a particular device difficult to continue to use; then they become "backups". lol.

sandblaster wrote:

T-Boy wrote:

You are dreaming if you think the average person can keep a smartphone 4 or 5 years. Lost, broken, stolen, dead battery. etc. Your numbers don't add up. You don't save $50 a month unless there are multiple lines or you had the worse single line plan in America. If you have more than one line wait till one breaks, loses, or has a phone stolen and see how much you save. A new phone will add at least $25 a month to your bill for 26 months. Some might come out but most will not.

I'm not dreaming at all. My iphone 4 is still in use and in excellent condition. I have no doubt my iPhone 5 will last another 2 years. You are correct that my savings are on a multi line plan. Single line plans won't get the same savings, if any. Your argument about the cost to replace a lost or stolen phone does not really hold either because you can't get a new discounted phone until your contract has expired. If you have to replace your phone while under contract, you will pay full price too. Also, there are two installment options on Next, 20 and 26 months. There are a number of phones that are $25 or less a month for 20 months. 

You have no idea how long your phone will last. If you have 4 lines on your account and you think they will all last 4 or 5 years good luck to your plans. Then add a couple of $700 phones to your bill and see how much you saved. In case you failed to notice the ones complaining are the ones that just got new phones and their bill went up from what they were paying. Now, try to let this ring a bell for you. "Their bills went up from what they were paying when they got a new phone."  Ding, Ding.

Re: Given misinformation on new mobile share plan. No fix. Only sorry

154 of 574 (2,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 5:08:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Note 3 was purchased online thru AT&T's website but only after calling a local AT&T store about the problems I was inquiring online. I was told by the AT&T rep that my plan was compatable and to bring it in when I recieved it and that the current plan I had was compatable so I purchased the phone. Once the note 3 came I went to the AT&T store explaining the problem I had while ordering it and asked for them to check my plan and to tell me if anything changed which according to them everything was the same.  I then went and got a smartphone from walmart and was obviously told nothing.  After recieveing my bill I went back to an AT&T store to inquire about the extra money that was now being charged to my account and was told about the new plans and there was nothing to be done since my cancellation time had went past the 14days...

Note 3 was purchased online thru AT&T's website but only after calling a local AT&T store about the problems I was inquiring online. I was told by the AT&T rep that my plan was compatable and to bring it in when I recieved it and that the current plan I had was compatable so I purchased the phone. Once the note 3 came I went to the AT&T store explaining the problem I had while ordering it and asked for them to check my plan and to tell me if anything changed which according to them everything was the same.  I then went and got a smartphone from walmart and was obviously told nothing.  After recieveing my bill I went back to an AT&T store to inquire about the extra money that was now being charged to my account and was told about the new plans and there was nothing to be done since my cancellation time had went past the 14days...

155 of 574 (2,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 5:41:38 AM
(0)
Teacher
Contructive it seems that even att employees do not know or give accurate info. I'm still waiting for att to step up admit theirresponsibility in any of these disputes. I also am not surprised that for the second time I've been told ill hear back from someone in 72 hours and that time frame has passed and no call.
Contructive it seems that even att employees do not know or give accurate info. I'm still waiting for att to step up admit theirresponsibility in any of these disputes. I also am not surprised that for the second time I've been told ill hear back from someone in 72 hours and that time frame has passed and no call.

156 of 574 (2,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 5:52:16 AM
(0)
Master

T-Boy wrote:

hme83 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

T-Boy wrote:

That is true that I have no idea how long my phones will last - but I've never had a phone last only 2 years.  And I'm not surprised that the complaints are primarily from those who have obtained a new phone under contract, but at&t clearly indicates that if you are using the MSV plans with a device that is currently subsidized by at&t, the line(s) of service will cost more.  Makes sense - at&t has always recaptured their device subsidy via their line of service rates.

And I'm not advocating that it's "fine" for at&t sales personnel to mislead customers; but customers have an equal responsibility to verify the information they are being given to at&t's published documentation and terms & conditions.  Preferably before a purchase/new agreement is signed, but I understand it may not always happen in that order; however, there is a 14 day return period and paying a $35 restocking fee is a lot less expensive than paying for the built in phone subsidy for two years.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

T-Boy wrote:

hme83 wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

T-Boy wrote:

That is true that I have no idea how long my phones will last - but I've never had a phone last only 2 years.  And I'm not surprised that the complaints are primarily from those who have obtained a new phone under contract, but at&t clearly indicates that if you are using the MSV plans with a device that is currently subsidized by at&t, the line(s) of service will cost more.  Makes sense - at&t has always recaptured their device subsidy via their line of service rates.

And I'm not advocating that it's "fine" for at&t sales personnel to mislead customers; but customers have an equal responsibility to verify the information they are being given to at&t's published documentation and terms & conditions.  Preferably before a purchase/new agreement is signed, but I understand it may not always happen in that order; however, there is a 14 day return period and paying a $35 restocking fee is a lot less expensive than paying for the built in phone subsidy for two years.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Re: Given misinformation on new mobile share plan. No fix. Only sorry

157 of 574 (2,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 11:58:34 AM
(0)
Teacher
Not an option if you dont recieve your first bill till after thst 14 days u s up. I really don't think there is any excuse for a corporation as large as att to not train their employees to provide accurate honest info. Of course in hindsight I totally wish I would have not trusted the reps word but morally and ethically I should be able to. I've been an att customer since it was cingular. I've never had an issue in well over a decade and multiple upgrades and plan changes with this bad of customerservice. Its clear to me something went wrong her for a lot of people and att should fix it. I highly doubt if they don't step up on this one that I will remain a customer of theirs for much longer.
Not an option if you dont recieve your first bill till after thst 14 days u s up. I really don't think there is any excuse for a corporation as large as att to not train their employees to provide accurate honest info. Of course in hindsight I totally wish I would have not trusted the reps word but morally and ethically I should be able to. I've been an att customer since it was cingular. I've never had an issue in well over a decade and multiple upgrades and plan changes with this bad of customerservice. Its clear to me something went wrong her for a lot of people and att should fix it. I highly doubt if they don't step up on this one that I will remain a customer of theirs for much longer.

158 of 574 (2,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 12:20:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

We changed our rate plan to the 4 lines for $160.00.  Was told there would not be any additional charge if we upgraded phones.  Several weeks later my son upgraded and once again was told there would not be any changes to the plan.  This mornng I received my bill - it was changed to almost $200.00.  Was on the phone with ATT for over 1 hour and they told me I was lying - that there is always a rate change when one upgrades phones.  The WORST customer service ever.  I have been a customer since 2008 and this is how they treat you. 

We changed our rate plan to the 4 lines for $160.00.  Was told there would not be any additional charge if we upgraded phones.  Several weeks later my son upgraded and once again was told there would not be any changes to the plan.  This mornng I received my bill - it was changed to almost $200.00.  Was on the phone with ATT for over 1 hour and they told me I was lying - that there is always a rate change when one upgrades phones.  The WORST customer service ever.  I have been a customer since 2008 and this is how they treat you. 

ATT changed my rate plan without telling me

159 of 574 (2,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 1:02:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mamala1954 wrote:

I've been an AT&T customer far longer than you, and I can tell you that I have been treated worse that you at times, but that is neither here nor there.

From your description you are on the Mobile Share Value Plan for 10GB data plus 4 smartphones.  If your phones were under contract prior to 02/01/2014 and you switched to that plan, that is how you got your $160/moth rate.  Included in that rate is a discount for your contract originating prior to 02/01/2014. When your son upgraded his phone your bill would not have changed, if he did not enter into a new contract for his phone.  If he purchased a contract subsidized phone, then your bill would go up by $25/month to pay for that contract subsidy on the purchase of his new phone.  Now if he purchased a new phone off-contract, then your monthly service charges shouldn't have changed (other than maybe a one-time activation fee and some taxes).  Now, if he purchased his new phone using the AT&T NEXT program, then the purchase price of his phone is spread across 18 or 26 months depending upon which version of the NEXT program he selected.  Using AT&T NEXT doesn't chane your monthly service bill, but since you are entering into a contract to purchase a phone over time, then the purchase price of the phone payment is added into your monthly bill as "equipment charges".  This will cause your bill to go up anywhere from $25-75/month dependig upon the program and phone purchased.  This is just the purchse price of the new phone.  The last option he had was to pay full price for the new phone and then your bill would not have changed at all.  I'm guessing that when your sin upgraded his new phone he used one of the first 2 options because paying $400-900 for a smartphone out of there pocket is not something many kids I know would do if they have an option to pay less themselves and have Dad pay the rest on the monthly bill...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

mamala1954 wrote:

I've been an AT&T customer far longer than you, and I can tell you that I have been treated worse that you at times, but that is neither here nor there.

From your description you are on the Mobile Share Value Plan for 10GB data plus 4 smartphones.  If your phones were under contract prior to 02/01/2014 and you switched to that plan, that is how you got your $160/moth rate.  Included in that rate is a discount for your contract originating prior to 02/01/2014. When your son upgraded his phone your bill would not have changed, if he did not enter into a new contract for his phone.  If he purchased a contract subsidized phone, then your bill would go up by $25/month to pay for that contract subsidy on the purchase of his new phone.  Now if he purchased a new phone off-contract, then your monthly service charges shouldn't have changed (other than maybe a one-time activation fee and some taxes).  Now, if he purchased his new phone using the AT&T NEXT program, then the purchase price of his phone is spread across 18 or 26 months depending upon which version of the NEXT program he selected.  Using AT&T NEXT doesn't chane your monthly service bill, but since you are entering into a contract to purchase a phone over time, then the purchase price of the phone payment is added into your monthly bill as "equipment charges".  This will cause your bill to go up anywhere from $25-75/month dependig upon the program and phone purchased.  This is just the purchse price of the new phone.  The last option he had was to pay full price for the new phone and then your bill would not have changed at all.  I'm guessing that when your sin upgraded his new phone he used one of the first 2 options because paying $400-900 for a smartphone out of there pocket is not something many kids I know would do if they have an option to pay less themselves and have Dad pay the rest on the monthly bill...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ATT changed my rate plan without telling me

160 of 574 (2,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 5:09:08 AM
(0)
Master

cla12170 wrote:

I agree that from an ethics standpoint you should be able to trust that employees are well-trained and that what the respresentatives of any business tell you is accurate and is complete disclosure; unfortunately that's just not very realistic in a world of extremely large organizations, outsourced customer service, jobs where people come & go like ants, etc.  I'm not excusing it, but bottom line - you can't control how at&t or anyone else manages their business, so in my opinion the only way to battle what business has become is to be an informed consumer.  Your bill, and more than 14 days later, shouldn't be your first warning that the deal really isn't what you thought it was. Smiley Sad

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

cla12170 wrote:

I agree that from an ethics standpoint you should be able to trust that employees are well-trained and that what the respresentatives of any business tell you is accurate and is complete disclosure; unfortunately that's just not very realistic in a world of extremely large organizations, outsourced customer service, jobs where people come & go like ants, etc.  I'm not excusing it, but bottom line - you can't control how at&t or anyone else manages their business, so in my opinion the only way to battle what business has become is to be an informed consumer.  Your bill, and more than 14 days later, shouldn't be your first warning that the deal really isn't what you thought it was. Smiley Sad

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

161 of 574 (2,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 10:20:15 AM
(0)
Tutor
The plan is not $160. It's really $180 they forgot to tell everyone, that that price does not include taxes.
The plan is not $160. It's really $180 they forgot to tell everyone, that that price does not include taxes.

162 of 574 (2,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 11:08:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Then EVERY retailer is a liar. Every sign they put out for an item's price, is the price without taxes. If you look at the small print, it says that it DOES NOT include applicable taxes. They can't post the price with taxes as they are DIFFERENT in every locality.

Then EVERY retailer is a liar. Every sign they put out for an item's price, is the price without taxes. If you look at the small print, it says that it DOES NOT include applicable taxes. They can't post the price with taxes as they are DIFFERENT in every locality.

163 of 574 (2,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 12:54:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

PhillipCollins wrote:

They didn't forget to tell everyone. Those taxes and extra charges are clearly identiified on AT&T's mobile share pricing web page:

Other Monthly Charges: Apply per line and may include applicable taxes, federal and state universal service charges, a Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), a gross receipts surcharge, an Administrative Fee on consumer and IRU lines, and other governmental assessments which are not taxes or government-required charges, including without limitation a Property Tax Allotment surcharge of $0.20-$0.45 per CRU’s assigned number.

PhillipCollins wrote:

They didn't forget to tell everyone. Those taxes and extra charges are clearly identiified on AT&T's mobile share pricing web page:

Other Monthly Charges: Apply per line and may include applicable taxes, federal and state universal service charges, a Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), a gross receipts surcharge, an Administrative Fee on consumer and IRU lines, and other governmental assessments which are not taxes or government-required charges, including without limitation a Property Tax Allotment surcharge of $0.20-$0.45 per CRU’s assigned number.

164 of 574 (2,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 4:39:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

PhillipCollins wrote:

They also lied and didn't include my FAN discount.  They told me it would be $130 plus taxes and other charges, and my final bill is inder $120 for 2 iPhones.  They LIED!  They are charging me less than they promised me!

(I don't know an emoticon for serious sarcasm)

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

PhillipCollins wrote:

They also lied and didn't include my FAN discount.  They told me it would be $130 plus taxes and other charges, and my final bill is inder $120 for 2 iPhones.  They LIED!  They are charging me less than they promised me!

(I don't know an emoticon for serious sarcasm)

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

165 of 574 (1,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2014 1:36:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 19, 2014 at 1:52:10 PM

The plan fails to mention that you have to bring your own phones. Your other choice is to sign with the Next program which instead of AT&T honoring the $160 plan which is how they pitch it on tv, they make you lease the phones for 26 months and if you want a newer phone the price goes up.. Beware!! I had fourteen days to make up my mind and when I got the bill saw that at the end of 26 months I'd have paid full retail price.. I may not be under contract but those phones are your responsibility. If you happen to break them before the 26 months are over you are responsible for the full remaining retail price balance. After realizing this I proceeded to visit the store and voicing my concerns. I was advised to purchase insurance on the phones and add more than $10 bucks more for each phone? As I had already left my old cell phone company and although their customer service is great, I found the cell towers around my new area weren't offering the greatest service at the moment. I decided to purchase my phones and sign the 2 year contract. To add insult to injury the salesperson mentioned they would have to charge me restocking and upgrade fees.. A laugh from me and a sarcastic comment. Got him to speak the manager of the store. Finally!! some customer service. The restocking and upgrade fees, i was told would be waived. The phones were bought and a 2 year contract signed.. My second bill is a mess and I owe almost $500 dollars with a fee of 144 for upgrade charges! I called customer service and explained that I was withing my 14 days when they aasured me of the waived fees he said he couldnt help me. So much for customer service had I known all the stuff they pitch is worth less than two cents I'd have kept my old cell company. I thanked him for nothing and now I have to visit the store and take it up with them. I'm in a new contract with a company who needs to disclose all the small print instead of misrepresenting their family shared plans., I am very dissapointed thus far and the only consolation I'm left with is that now I only have to be with AT&T for 24 months instead of 26 and I get to keep my phones!!!

[Inappropriate content removed]

The plan fails to mention that you have to bring your own phones. Your other choice is to sign with the Next program which instead of AT&T honoring the $160 plan which is how they pitch it on tv, they make you lease the phones for 26 months and if you want a newer phone the price goes up.. Beware!! I had fourteen days to make up my mind and when I got the bill saw that at the end of 26 months I'd have paid full retail price.. I may not be under contract but those phones are your responsibility. If you happen to break them before the 26 months are over you are responsible for the full remaining retail price balance. After realizing this I proceeded to visit the store and voicing my concerns. I was advised to purchase insurance on the phones and add more than $10 bucks more for each phone? As I had already left my old cell phone company and although their customer service is great, I found the cell towers around my new area weren't offering the greatest service at the moment. I decided to purchase my phones and sign the 2 year contract. To add insult to injury the salesperson mentioned they would have to charge me restocking and upgrade fees.. A laugh from me and a sarcastic comment. Got him to speak the manager of the store. Finally!! some customer service. The restocking and upgrade fees, i was told would be waived. The phones were bought and a 2 year contract signed.. My second bill is a mess and I owe almost $500 dollars with a fee of 144 for upgrade charges! I called customer service and explained that I was withing my 14 days when they aasured me of the waived fees he said he couldnt help me. So much for customer service had I known all the stuff they pitch is worth less than two cents I'd have kept my old cell company. I thanked him for nothing and now I have to visit the store and take it up with them. I'm in a new contract with a company who needs to disclose all the small print instead of misrepresenting their family shared plans., I am very dissapointed thus far and the only consolation I'm left with is that now I only have to be with AT&T for 24 months instead of 26 and I get to keep my phones!!!

[ Edited ]
166 of 574 (1,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2014 4:48:10 PM
(0)
Expert

Letty725 wrote:

Actually it does specify that the price is dependant on a BYOD device or on the Next plan, both the website and the tv add

Letty725 wrote:

Actually it does specify that the price is dependant on a BYOD device or on the Next plan, both the website and the tv add

167 of 574 (1,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 8:36:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

PhillipCollins wrote:

the problem with them including taxes in advertising is the fact that tax rates vary town to town, county to county, state to state.  So there is no way they can advertise the price with taxes and fees

PhillipCollins wrote:

the problem with them including taxes in advertising is the fact that tax rates vary town to town, county to county, state to state.  So there is no way they can advertise the price with taxes and fees

168 of 574 (1,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 9:32:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

PhillipCollins wrote:

You are correct, for my bill here in the Chcago area, those taxes & fees come to about $4.60 per phone according to my detailed billing.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

PhillipCollins wrote:

You are correct, for my bill here in the Chcago area, those taxes & fees come to about $4.60 per phone according to my detailed billing.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

169 of 574 (1,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 9:57:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

GeekBoy wrote:

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

PhillipCollins wrote:

and in downstate IL mine 4.77 per phone

GeekBoy wrote:

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

PhillipCollins wrote:

and in downstate IL mine 4.77 per phone

170 of 574 (1,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 11:29:38 PM
(0)
Contributor
I saw an advertisement on TV advertising a plan for 10 gigabyte for five lines for $175 a month in the month of february. After seeing that commercial l contact the customer service line at 611 to find out more information about it, the representative told me that for 5 lines and 10 gigabytes of shared data would be $175 +tax and fees and would approximately total $185. She told me that I can upgrade my new phone so that way they can be smart phones. I wanted to wait until my new bill cycle started to begin the new plan to avoid any prorated fees. I wanted to start on the beginning of my new bill cycle so I wouldn't have any confussing issues with the bill. When I receive my new plan phone bill the amount was completely nowhere near what I was told I would pay.I've been an AT&T customer for over 10 years and have always been treated farely and all my issues resolved until now. Had I known that I was going to be over charged I would not change my plan. I've contacted AT& T customer service line multiple times to try to get it resolved, out of the four representative that I spoke with, one representative did confirm that the plan that I signed up for was the $175 for 5 lines with 10 gigabyte mobile share unlimited talk and text, he told me that he was goin to call me next month in April to make sure that my bill was correct, he never called me back like he promised.I called at&t again today and spoke with Stacy, this representative was not helpful at all even though she claim to be a manager she refused to allow me to speak with someone higher up in management.She kept on repeating herself and did not listen to what the issue was. When I signed up for this mobile Share Plan the representative never explained to me that I was going to be charged a different price because I upgrade the phones afterwards.Can someone in the management team help me get this resolved this is not fair for me as a loyal AT&T customer to be told one thing and be charged a different price. If things can't get resolved then unfortunately I will to have to cancel all of my services that I have with AT&T.
I saw an advertisement on TV advertising a plan for 10 gigabyte for five lines for $175 a month in the month of february. After seeing that commercial l contact the customer service line at 611 to find out more information about it, the representative told me that for 5 lines and 10 gigabytes of shared data would be $175 +tax and fees and would approximately total $185. She told me that I can upgrade my new phone so that way they can be smart phones. I wanted to wait until my new bill cycle started to begin the new plan to avoid any prorated fees. I wanted to start on the beginning of my new bill cycle so I wouldn't have any confussing issues with the bill. When I receive my new plan phone bill the amount was completely nowhere near what I was told I would pay.I've been an AT&T customer for over 10 years and have always been treated farely and all my issues resolved until now. Had I known that I was going to be over charged I would not change my plan. I've contacted AT& T customer service line multiple times to try to get it resolved, out of the four representative that I spoke with, one representative did confirm that the plan that I signed up for was the $175 for 5 lines with 10 gigabyte mobile share unlimited talk and text, he told me that he was goin to call me next month in April to make sure that my bill was correct, he never called me back like he promised.I called at&t again today and spoke with Stacy, this representative was not helpful at all even though she claim to be a manager she refused to allow me to speak with someone higher up in management.She kept on repeating herself and did not listen to what the issue was. When I signed up for this mobile Share Plan the representative never explained to me that I was going to be charged a different price because I upgrade the phones afterwards.Can someone in the management team help me get this resolved this is not fair for me as a loyal AT&T customer to be told one thing and be charged a different price. If things can't get resolved then unfortunately I will to have to cancel all of my services that I have with AT&T.

bill disputes

171 of 574 (1,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 5:34:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Unfortunately, the price you were given was for out of contract pricing.If you use a subsidized upgrade and start a new contract, the price increases for that line by $25 per month. The ONLY way to avoid higher monthly pricing is to buy the phone outright at non-subsidized price, which for smartphones can be $400 - $600.
Unfortunately, the price you were given was for out of contract pricing.If you use a subsidized upgrade and start a new contract, the price increases for that line by $25 per month. The ONLY way to avoid higher monthly pricing is to buy the phone outright at non-subsidized price, which for smartphones can be $400 - $600.

Re: bill disputes

172 of 574 (1,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 9:30:24 AM
(0)
Contributor
See no one had explained that the price was going to change by me upgrading my phones.The representative that I spoke to even stayed on the phone with me while I order the phone online to get order number so she can wavied the activation fee. The representative told me by me getting the new smartphones my phones will be compatible with the new 4g network that I will be using with a new plan.
See no one had explained that the price was going to change by me upgrading my phones.The representative that I spoke to even stayed on the phone with me while I order the phone online to get order number so she can wavied the activation fee. The representative told me by me getting the new smartphones my phones will be compatible with the new 4g network that I will be using with a new plan.

173 of 574 (1,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 10:37:12 AM
(0)
Employee

Plans, upgrades have gotten just a tad more complex. Usually, if you take the time to figure it, it makes sense.

Use this site to get a good idea about the various details.

www.myattrpc.com

Spend some time looking at your plan, and the alternatives.

Sometimes the specials (contracts starting before XX/XX for smartphones), will make some plans better than others temporarily.

-Alex

Plans, upgrades have gotten just a tad more complex. Usually, if you take the time to figure it, it makes sense.

Use this site to get a good idea about the various details.

www.myattrpc.com

Spend some time looking at your plan, and the alternatives.

Sometimes the specials (contracts starting before XX/XX for smartphones), will make some plans better than others temporarily.

-Alex

174 of 574 (1,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 12:22:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

kdfederer wrote:

The thing is, based on the OP's post we don't know if the higher bill they are seeing is because of buying subsidized phones and paying $40 per phone instead of $15 or because of buying phones on the Next program. It's also possible that higher bill is because of monthly installments for their new phones. Since the OP said the activation fee was waived, I would tend to think it's the latter since activation fees are waived when upgrading via Next.

kdfederer wrote:

The thing is, based on the OP's post we don't know if the higher bill they are seeing is because of buying subsidized phones and paying $40 per phone instead of $15 or because of buying phones on the Next program. It's also possible that higher bill is because of monthly installments for their new phones. Since the OP said the activation fee was waived, I would tend to think it's the latter since activation fees are waived when upgrading via Next.

175 of 574 (1,728 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 6:50:23 AM
(1)
Teacher

I'm glad I called before signing up for the $160 - 10gb family of 4 plan.

My current bill is $259 for 4 phones with 3gb data for each and Unlimited text. We never use our minutes each month, we always have rollover minutes.  We are all either close to or ready for an upgraded phone.

She told me the plan is $100 plus $15 for each of the 4 phones ($60) we "currently" have.

She explained that if I signed up now at the $160, each phone I upgraded after signing up would cost $40 instead of $15.

Which will be an additional $160 instead of $60 after upgrading all of our phones.

Which would bring my total monthly bill to $260. So I will be right back where I started but with 2gb data less than when I started.   

Just another crazy plan that doesn't make any sense to switch too because eventually we will all upgrade our phones.

My current bill is $259 for 4 phones with 3gb data for each and Unlimited text. We never use our minutes each month, we always have rollover minutes.  We are all either close to or ready for an upgraded phone.

She told me the plan is $100 plus $15 for each of the 4 phones ($60) we "currently" have.

She explained that if I signed up now at the $160, each phone I upgraded after signing up would cost $40 instead of $15.

Which will be an additional $160 instead of $60 after upgrading all of our phones.

Which would bring my total monthly bill to $260. So I will be right back where I started but with 2gb data less than when I started.   

Just another crazy plan that doesn't make any sense to switch too because eventually we will all upgrade our phones.

New $160 plan is not $160 - if you upgrade 4 phones after signing up it's $260

176 of 574 (1,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 7:46:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

kede341 wrote:

That is only true if you upgrade at the 2 year contract subsidized price. You also have the option of upgrading via the Next program which would keep your per phone cost at $15. You also don't have to pay the $36 upgrade fee on Next. Of course, then you have to factor in paying a monthly installment for each phone. Which way is cheaper? That all depends on when and how often you upgrade but for some people (myself included), it works out cheaper to go with the mobile share plan and upgrade via Next. If you absolutely intend to upgrade all 4 phones at the same time and also upgrade them every 2 years, you probably won't save anything with the new plan and Next but you really should do the math. If you keep your phones longer than 2 years, you may find that mobile share and Next actually works out cheaper in the long run.

kede341 wrote:

That is only true if you upgrade at the 2 year contract subsidized price. You also have the option of upgrading via the Next program which would keep your per phone cost at $15. You also don't have to pay the $36 upgrade fee on Next. Of course, then you have to factor in paying a monthly installment for each phone. Which way is cheaper? That all depends on when and how often you upgrade but for some people (myself included), it works out cheaper to go with the mobile share plan and upgrade via Next. If you absolutely intend to upgrade all 4 phones at the same time and also upgrade them every 2 years, you probably won't save anything with the new plan and Next but you really should do the math. If you keep your phones longer than 2 years, you may find that mobile share and Next actually works out cheaper in the long run.

Re: New $160 plan is not $160 - if you upgrade 4 phones after signing up it's $260

177 of 574 (1,810 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 8:33:57 AM
(1)
Teacher

Having been a customer for many many years, I have never had to pay over $50 for a phone. I use the 2 year upgrade option for every phone. Most phones we have had were free this way. We all have iphones.  I plan never to pay $600 for a phone. That's a house payment! So NEXT is completely out for us. But for those who must have the most recent "cool" phone, I suppose NEXT is the way. I'm alright not being "cool". Smiley Happy

Was just wanting those who enjoy their discounted 2 year plan upgrade phones to understand the new $160 plan before signing up. 

Having been a customer for many many years, I have never had to pay over $50 for a phone. I use the 2 year upgrade option for every phone. Most phones we have had were free this way. We all have iphones.  I plan never to pay $600 for a phone. That's a house payment! So NEXT is completely out for us. But for those who must have the most recent "cool" phone, I suppose NEXT is the way. I'm alright not being "cool". Smiley Happy

Was just wanting those who enjoy their discounted 2 year plan upgrade phones to understand the new $160 plan before signing up. 

Re: New $160 plan is not $160 - if you upgrade 4 phones after signing up it's $260

178 of 574 (1,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 8:43:15 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 25, 2014 at 9:17:15 AM

The $160 price is advertised as no contract, basically each line gets a $25 discount when they're out of contract.

So, the guys you talked to were offereing to change you to this plan that's normally only $1 more than your current one, AND offered to get you those discounts now?

So you'd save quite a bit of money until you've completely upgraded all the lines, and you'd continue to save money later if one of your lines ever didn't immediately upgrade when their contract was done?

I'm not sure what math you're doing, but in my book that few hundred dollar temporary savings over the course of months would more than make up the $1 increase.

Edit:

@kede341, your old plans have been inflated to cover the cost of your phones. I expect your totals won't be much different whether you keep payment what you're paying now vs the Mobile Share value plans + AT&T Next.  For some people, it's a little more, others a little less than their current rate, but it usually pretty close. It's worth a shot checking, but one way or another, the phone's gotta be paid for.

These new plans are are aimed at being more transparent than the old ones essentialy

-Alex

The $160 price is advertised as no contract, basically each line gets a $25 discount when they're out of contract.

So, the guys you talked to were offereing to change you to this plan that's normally only $1 more than your current one, AND offered to get you those discounts now?

So you'd save quite a bit of money until you've completely upgraded all the lines, and you'd continue to save money later if one of your lines ever didn't immediately upgrade when their contract was done?

I'm not sure what math you're doing, but in my book that few hundred dollar temporary savings over the course of months would more than make up the $1 increase.

Edit:

@kede341, your old plans have been inflated to cover the cost of your phones. I expect your totals won't be much different whether you keep payment what you're paying now vs the Mobile Share value plans + AT&T Next.  For some people, it's a little more, others a little less than their current rate, but it usually pretty close. It's worth a shot checking, but one way or another, the phone's gotta be paid for.

These new plans are are aimed at being more transparent than the old ones essentialy

-Alex

[ Edited ]
179 of 574 (1,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 9:38:48 AM
(0)
Expert

kede341 wrote:

Most smartphone owners are more into the latest and greatest cool new toy, so a low monthly payment with no finance charge but with the ability to trade up every 12 months is more enticing then getting a 649.00 for for 199.00 a 2 year commitment with ETF charges and not being able to upgrade the next year when the new version comes out. The US market is moving in the same direction as the overseas market has been using for years - no subsidized phones and a price cut in the plan charges

kede341 wrote:

Most smartphone owners are more into the latest and greatest cool new toy, so a low monthly payment with no finance charge but with the ability to trade up every 12 months is more enticing then getting a 649.00 for for 199.00 a 2 year commitment with ETF charges and not being able to upgrade the next year when the new version comes out. The US market is moving in the same direction as the overseas market has been using for years - no subsidized phones and a price cut in the plan charges

180 of 574 (1,786 Views)