Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 20, 2014
6:48:17 PM
Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:27:58 AM

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 2:53:54 PM
(0)
Employee

The plan itself is the following:

$100+40/smartphone+15/basic phone

You get a $25 credit per line for your smartphones under the following circumstances:

1. Your contract on your phone started prior to February 2, 2014.
  2. You are on next for your upgrade.
  3. You have no contract (applies to bring your own device).

If you do not meet the requirements for the credit you will not receive it.  You can evaluate how you want to get the device, however it breaks down that if you are on this new plan and want a new phone then bring your own device or next will come out costing you the least.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
573 replies
(21) Me too
(21) Me too
View all replies
(573)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 5:44:52 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Presuming you are on mobile share, your bill should only increase $25. Even with the $36 upgrade fee, that is only $61, not $90. You'll have to do a line by line comparison of new bill vs old bill to see what else was added.

Presuming you are on mobile share, your bill should only increase $25. Even with the $36 upgrade fee, that is only $61, not $90. You'll have to do a line by line comparison of new bill vs old bill to see what else was added.

Re: $90 dollar rate increase because i bought a phone at walmart

271 of 574 (1,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 6:44:29 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Viescas wrote:

I was very disappointed today to learn that after 21 years of being a loyal AT&T customer they do not make any effort to keep me as a customer.  I went in to purchase a new phone today.  I had a very old phone when we switched over to the family share plan for four.  It was not even a smart phone.  I shopped around to compare prices and Radio Shack had the IPhone 5s for $80 plus the activation with a two year plan.  When they were setting it up in the system I was told that AT&T was eliminating my $25 credit on my share plan and that it would go up from $160 to $185 per month for two years.  So basically I was going to pay $550 more on the family plan over the two year term.  So in total I would pay $80 plus tax, $35 activation fee plus  $550.  A  total of $665.  We called AT&T and spoke to a rep and then to a manager.  I was told by the manager that for any upgrade we would lose the $25 credit raising our bill by $25 per month per upgrade. If all of my family members decided to upgrade we would pay $100 more a month.  

I then went back to the AT &T retail store and decided to get the next plan for the IPhone 5s.  I was told I would have to pay approximately $56.00 in taxes upfront and I would pay $32.50 a month for 12 months.  So I would pay $390  plus the $56 in taxes a total of $496.  I understood I would own the phone then.  Well  when i was going to sign the contract it stated it was $32.50 a month for 20 months or $650 over the 20 months.  I questioned it and was told that it was 20 months and I would own the phone but I only had to pay 12 months to upgrade.  I am certain that is the way AT& T trains it personnel.  AT&T is very shady and as I am reading in this forum there are a lot of dissatisfied customers.  It doesn't seem to me that AT&T cares and only wants to see what it can get away with. Just tell people upfront what you need to get out of them to make your revenue margin.  Tell me that you need to get $660 out of me for the IPhone or whatever price it really is for what ever phone I chose.I am certain that in a few months when people catch on to the shadiness of the family plan AT&T will come up with another program.  It seems to me that a business as big as AT&T should be more reputable and take care of it's customers.  Why don't they tell people the way it really is and be upfront with them.  I am not happy and I am seriously rethinking being an AT&T customer. I am looking a Verizon.

Sorry you feel the Next pricing is shady but personally, I realized that Next was a plan to pay full price for your phone the day it was announced. The price for a phone under Next is the same regardless of which option you pick, the only difference is how many months you pay and neither option is for 12 months. If a store rep told you there were only 12 payments, they were wrong. What you can do is discontinue payments after 12 months by trading in your phone for another phone (i.e. upgrading). Of course, you would then have to pay for the new phone. Optionally, you continue paying off your phone until you own it. 

Good luck with Verizon, they have the exact same plan as Next, they call it Edge. They also have pretty much the same pricing on their share plans meaning you will have to pay full price for your phones with them also in order to get the lowest service pricing. If you're thinking about T-Mobile, they call their plan Jump and they don't even offer the discounted 2 year contract price for phones any more. 

Viescas wrote:

I was very disappointed today to learn that after 21 years of being a loyal AT&T customer they do not make any effort to keep me as a customer.  I went in to purchase a new phone today.  I had a very old phone when we switched over to the family share plan for four.  It was not even a smart phone.  I shopped around to compare prices and Radio Shack had the IPhone 5s for $80 plus the activation with a two year plan.  When they were setting it up in the system I was told that AT&T was eliminating my $25 credit on my share plan and that it would go up from $160 to $185 per month for two years.  So basically I was going to pay $550 more on the family plan over the two year term.  So in total I would pay $80 plus tax, $35 activation fee plus  $550.  A  total of $665.  We called AT&T and spoke to a rep and then to a manager.  I was told by the manager that for any upgrade we would lose the $25 credit raising our bill by $25 per month per upgrade. If all of my family members decided to upgrade we would pay $100 more a month.  

I then went back to the AT &T retail store and decided to get the next plan for the IPhone 5s.  I was told I would have to pay approximately $56.00 in taxes upfront and I would pay $32.50 a month for 12 months.  So I would pay $390  plus the $56 in taxes a total of $496.  I understood I would own the phone then.  Well  when i was going to sign the contract it stated it was $32.50 a month for 20 months or $650 over the 20 months.  I questioned it and was told that it was 20 months and I would own the phone but I only had to pay 12 months to upgrade.  I am certain that is the way AT& T trains it personnel.  AT&T is very shady and as I am reading in this forum there are a lot of dissatisfied customers.  It doesn't seem to me that AT&T cares and only wants to see what it can get away with. Just tell people upfront what you need to get out of them to make your revenue margin.  Tell me that you need to get $660 out of me for the IPhone or whatever price it really is for what ever phone I chose.I am certain that in a few months when people catch on to the shadiness of the family plan AT&T will come up with another program.  It seems to me that a business as big as AT&T should be more reputable and take care of it's customers.  Why don't they tell people the way it really is and be upfront with them.  I am not happy and I am seriously rethinking being an AT&T customer. I am looking a Verizon.

Sorry you feel the Next pricing is shady but personally, I realized that Next was a plan to pay full price for your phone the day it was announced. The price for a phone under Next is the same regardless of which option you pick, the only difference is how many months you pay and neither option is for 12 months. If a store rep told you there were only 12 payments, they were wrong. What you can do is discontinue payments after 12 months by trading in your phone for another phone (i.e. upgrading). Of course, you would then have to pay for the new phone. Optionally, you continue paying off your phone until you own it. 

Good luck with Verizon, they have the exact same plan as Next, they call it Edge. They also have pretty much the same pricing on their share plans meaning you will have to pay full price for your phones with them also in order to get the lowest service pricing. If you're thinking about T-Mobile, they call their plan Jump and they don't even offer the discounted 2 year contract price for phones any more. 

Re: Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

272 of 574 (1,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 9:02:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

Viescas wrote:

I went in to purchase a new phone today.  I had a very old phone when we switched over to the family share plan for four.  It was not even a smart phone.  I shopped around to compare prices and Radio Shack had the IPhone 5s for $80 plus the activation with a two year plan.  When they were setting it up in the system I was told that AT&T was eliminating my $25 credit on my share plan and that it would go up from $160 to $185 per month for two years.  So basically I was going to pay $550 more on the family plan over the two year term.  So in total I would pay $80 plus tax, $35 activation fee plus  $550.  A  total of $665.  We called AT&T and spoke to a rep and then to a manager.  I was told by the manager that for any upgrade we would lose the $25 credit raising our bill by $25 per month per upgrade. If all of my family members decided to upgrade we would pay $100 more a month.  

What you were told (above) is stated in the TOS when purchasing a smartphone to be used on a line that's under a MSV account.  To put it simply--if you purchase a new smartphone on a line that's on a MSV account and you elect to pay the subsidized (i.e., discounted) price for said phone rather than pay full price OOP or go with Next--that line will no longer receive the per-line discount (in your case, $25).

Why some people feel that they should be able to pay just the discounted/subsidized pricing for a new smartphone under MSV and still think they should rightfully not lose their per-line discount is beyond me--this is clearly a matter of those folks "wanting/having their cake and eating it too".  Not gonna happen under the MSV plans--if you want a new smartphone under MSV, you're gonna have to either: be willing to give up the per-line discount ($15 or $25 per line) if you go subsidized phone pricing on each line for which you go this route, pay for it under Next, or pay full price OOP.  Gone are the days where you can get a new smartphone for cheap AND not see your monthly bill go up even after having signed a 2-year contract...people may not like it, but that's the way wireless companies are rolling these days--for better or for worse.

Viescas wrote:

I went in to purchase a new phone today.  I had a very old phone when we switched over to the family share plan for four.  It was not even a smart phone.  I shopped around to compare prices and Radio Shack had the IPhone 5s for $80 plus the activation with a two year plan.  When they were setting it up in the system I was told that AT&T was eliminating my $25 credit on my share plan and that it would go up from $160 to $185 per month for two years.  So basically I was going to pay $550 more on the family plan over the two year term.  So in total I would pay $80 plus tax, $35 activation fee plus  $550.  A  total of $665.  We called AT&T and spoke to a rep and then to a manager.  I was told by the manager that for any upgrade we would lose the $25 credit raising our bill by $25 per month per upgrade. If all of my family members decided to upgrade we would pay $100 more a month.  

What you were told (above) is stated in the TOS when purchasing a smartphone to be used on a line that's under a MSV account.  To put it simply--if you purchase a new smartphone on a line that's on a MSV account and you elect to pay the subsidized (i.e., discounted) price for said phone rather than pay full price OOP or go with Next--that line will no longer receive the per-line discount (in your case, $25).

Why some people feel that they should be able to pay just the discounted/subsidized pricing for a new smartphone under MSV and still think they should rightfully not lose their per-line discount is beyond me--this is clearly a matter of those folks "wanting/having their cake and eating it too".  Not gonna happen under the MSV plans--if you want a new smartphone under MSV, you're gonna have to either: be willing to give up the per-line discount ($15 or $25 per line) if you go subsidized phone pricing on each line for which you go this route, pay for it under Next, or pay full price OOP.  Gone are the days where you can get a new smartphone for cheap AND not see your monthly bill go up even after having signed a 2-year contract...people may not like it, but that's the way wireless companies are rolling these days--for better or for worse.

273 of 574 (1,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 12:42:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

I signed up for this a few months ago.  Wow, I thought, my bill is actually about $100 lower than it was before.  Well, just wait until it is time to use an upgrade.  My son's phone was damaged but he was timed for an upgrade, so I called our local store and guess what?  Once you upgrade you no longer get the family share discount on that line.  Yes, it would be an extra $25 per month.  So, if you have three more smartphones and you need to upgrade, guess what?  The whole discount is gone.  Oh, but, ATT says that's OK.  Just try our Next plan, then it only goes up about $15 per line, becasue of the monthly rental.  What a racquet.  They are 100% shameless.  How many out there know that, unlike broadband, there is no competition for data access using cellular.  That's right.  ATT doesn't have to pay anything extra to provide data, and it doesn't have to compete like a cable company.  That's why T-Mobile can offer the plans it does.  ATT is criminal.  The FCC should investigate this.

I signed up for this a few months ago.  Wow, I thought, my bill is actually about $100 lower than it was before.  Well, just wait until it is time to use an upgrade.  My son's phone was damaged but he was timed for an upgrade, so I called our local store and guess what?  Once you upgrade you no longer get the family share discount on that line.  Yes, it would be an extra $25 per month.  So, if you have three more smartphones and you need to upgrade, guess what?  The whole discount is gone.  Oh, but, ATT says that's OK.  Just try our Next plan, then it only goes up about $15 per line, becasue of the monthly rental.  What a racquet.  They are 100% shameless.  How many out there know that, unlike broadband, there is no competition for data access using cellular.  That's right.  ATT doesn't have to pay anything extra to provide data, and it doesn't have to compete like a cable company.  That's why T-Mobile can offer the plans it does.  ATT is criminal.  The FCC should investigate this.

274 of 574 (1,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 12:45:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

After upgrading four lines, I will be back to the same monthly fee I was at before I signed up for the value share plan.

After upgrading four lines, I will be back to the same monthly fee I was at before I signed up for the value share plan.

Re: $90 dollar rate increase because i bought a phone at walmart

275 of 574 (1,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 1:18:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

NewtCubbie1 wrote:

...  What a racquet.  They are 100% shameless.  

I agree with you, it is such a racket they they give you a $25 per month discount if you are not under a contract!  Everyone should pay the same higher fee, contract or not!!!  It's an even bigger racket that they gave you a discount on your phones that were under contract as a "good will gesture" (if your contract was originated before a certain date) because they wanted to cement their racket on under-charging you for being a "loyal customer".  They are without any shame for those despicable actions!

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

NewtCubbie1 wrote:

I agree with you, it is such a racket they they give you a $25 per month discount if you are not under a contract!  Everyone should pay the same higher fee, contract or not!!!  It's an even bigger racket that they gave you a discount on your phones that were under contract as a "good will gesture" (if your contract was originated before a certain date) because they wanted to cement their racket on under-charging you for being a "loyal customer".  They are without any shame for those despicable actions!

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

276 of 574 (1,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 2:02:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

GeekBoy wrote:

NewtCubbie1 wrote:

People were complaining about the line costs once a phone was out of contract. If you didn't upgrade every 2 years, you paid for it anyway. That is why the cell providers have offered A DISCOUNT if you don't have a subsidized upgrade. The plan prices were reduced, which everyone was happy about, until  they try to upgrade, then the price increases. YOU PAY FOR THE SUBSIDIZED PHONE COST, on way  or another. You can't have it both ways - Lower prices AND subsidized phones.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

GeekBoy wrote:

NewtCubbie1 wrote:

People were complaining about the line costs once a phone was out of contract. If you didn't upgrade every 2 years, you paid for it anyway. That is why the cell providers have offered A DISCOUNT if you don't have a subsidized upgrade. The plan prices were reduced, which everyone was happy about, until  they try to upgrade, then the price increases. YOU PAY FOR THE SUBSIDIZED PHONE COST, on way  or another. You can't have it both ways - Lower prices AND subsidized phones.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

277 of 574 (1,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2014 4:25:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

I agree!  Right now I have the 10gb family plane.  Went to upgrade and was told it would be 40 a month for the phone.  right now i pay 15 per phone for access, i think it is so confusing. I do not want to pay anymore. I am afraid to make a move any where accept ot another carrier.  Why would att want to do this to their customers.  Why does it have to be so confusing. For the people who say it stated so clear, you either work for Att or your a lawyer who completely understands the ins and outs of contracts. Is this what is next to have a lawyer read Att contract before you agree to anything.

I agree!  Right now I have the 10gb family plane.  Went to upgrade and was told it would be 40 a month for the phone.  right now i pay 15 per phone for access, i think it is so confusing. I do not want to pay anymore. I am afraid to make a move any where accept ot another carrier.  Why would att want to do this to their customers.  Why does it have to be so confusing. For the people who say it stated so clear, you either work for Att or your a lawyer who completely understands the ins and outs of contracts. Is this what is next to have a lawyer read Att contract before you agree to anything.

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

278 of 574 (1,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2014 6:05:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
It is not confusing. AT&T reduced their pricing on minute plans for out of contract lines. You now pay for subsidized phones one way or another. If you do NEXT you pay for the full price of the phone over 20 -26 months. If you want a subsidized phone, you pay the subsidized phone cost but then pay $15 - $25 more per month on your phone line because it is no longer out of contract. Once the contract is completed, you get the discount again.
One way or another, you pay for the subsidized phone. You can't have it both ways, cheaper phone line AND subsidized phone.
It is not confusing. AT&T reduced their pricing on minute plans for out of contract lines. You now pay for subsidized phones one way or another. If you do NEXT you pay for the full price of the phone over 20 -26 months. If you want a subsidized phone, you pay the subsidized phone cost but then pay $15 - $25 more per month on your phone line because it is no longer out of contract. Once the contract is completed, you get the discount again.
One way or another, you pay for the subsidized phone. You can't have it both ways, cheaper phone line AND subsidized phone.

279 of 574 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2014 5:18:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm currently on Verizon looking to switch to AT&T.  I am also an employee of the USPS, so I am eligible for the Premier program with a 25% discount on service.   I have a few questions, however:

1). I noticed on the Premier website, the data is discounted but the phone device charge is not.  For example, even if I choose the 10GB+ data plan option, it does not show the $25 discount for the line.  It still shows the $40 charge for each line, even though I want to bring my own phone and not be under contract.   Is this how the Premier program works?   If I bring my family over (all bringing our own devices), I think it would be cheaper to NOT use Premier and each line only be charged $15 and just pay full price for the data plan, no?

2). Years ago, I was on AT&T with the USPS and I had to sign a 2-year commitment to get the discount.  I was told by a CSR that this is no longer the case, but I don't want to get burned.  Can anyone confirm that you can indeed get the discount on Premier without having to sign a 2-yr commitment.  I want to stay off-contract.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing on the website if I were to switch my 4 Verizon lines to AT&T:

Standard Service (not Premiere):

15GB data plan = $130

Device charge = $15 (with $25 no contract discount) X 4 = $60

TOTAL = $190 for 4 lines and 15GB of data

Premiere Service:

15GB data plan = $97.50 (25% discount)

Device charge = $40 (no device discount with Premiere???)

TOTAL = $257.50

According to this, I would be paying significantly  MORE on Premiere than if I just got the standard service.  Or am I missing something?   Can anyonen confirm if the device charge is still discounted if you are off-contract on Premiere?  Or do you have to sign a contract?

Thanks!

I'm currently on Verizon looking to switch to AT&T.  I am also an employee of the USPS, so I am eligible for the Premier program with a 25% discount on service.   I have a few questions, however:

1). I noticed on the Premier website, the data is discounted but the phone device charge is not.  For example, even if I choose the 10GB+ data plan option, it does not show the $25 discount for the line.  It still shows the $40 charge for each line, even though I want to bring my own phone and not be under contract.   Is this how the Premier program works?   If I bring my family over (all bringing our own devices), I think it would be cheaper to NOT use Premier and each line only be charged $15 and just pay full price for the data plan, no?

2). Years ago, I was on AT&T with the USPS and I had to sign a 2-year commitment to get the discount.  I was told by a CSR that this is no longer the case, but I don't want to get burned.  Can anyone confirm that you can indeed get the discount on Premier without having to sign a 2-yr commitment.  I want to stay off-contract.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing on the website if I were to switch my 4 Verizon lines to AT&T:

Standard Service (not Premiere):

15GB data plan = $130

Device charge = $15 (with $25 no contract discount) X 4 = $60

TOTAL = $190 for 4 lines and 15GB of data

Premiere Service:

15GB data plan = $97.50 (25% discount)

Device charge = $40 (no device discount with Premiere???)

TOTAL = $257.50

According to this, I would be paying significantly  MORE on Premiere than if I just got the standard service.  Or am I missing something?   Can anyonen confirm if the device charge is still discounted if you are off-contract on Premiere?  Or do you have to sign a contract?

Thanks!

Understanding Share Plans with Premier

280 of 574 (1,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2014 8:00:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

Travisimo--as long as you do BYOD for each of those lines and you're talking about the MSV plan, you will get the discount (i.e., pay $15 per line) even under Premiere; My account is Premiere (well technically FAN but for all intents and purposes it's pretty much nearly--if not completely--identicalto Premiere) and I get the per-line discount on each of my four lines as well.

Not that you asked about it, but yes I do know that if I ever decide to get a new smartphone for any of my lines, I will have to pay $40 per upgraded line if I elect to pay subsidized pricing (i.e, device discount) for said phone.

Travisimo--as long as you do BYOD for each of those lines and you're talking about the MSV plan, you will get the discount (i.e., pay $15 per line) even under Premiere; My account is Premiere (well technically FAN but for all intents and purposes it's pretty much nearly--if not completely--identicalto Premiere) and I get the per-line discount on each of my four lines as well.

Not that you asked about it, but yes I do know that if I ever decide to get a new smartphone for any of my lines, I will have to pay $40 per upgraded line if I elect to pay subsidized pricing (i.e, device discount) for said phone.

Re: Understanding Share Plans with Premier

281 of 574 (1,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2014 8:58:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes I fell for the same scam!!!!!  ATT is full of crap.  Dishonest advertising and sales people.  I was told 3 phones on a shared data plan for $145.  Because one of the phones was a recently upgraded my shared data plan is actually $170 per month.  Seriously?  I was never told anything about a different price for a recently upgraded phone (which was done before my conversation with ATT about this shared plan) .  I get so tired on the nickel and diming from ATT.  I was about to change carriers for better pricing when I was told about this so called shared data plan deal.  I need to go back and doube check with the other carrier, but I can get 3 phones all in for, I think it was $150 per month.  I think I also remember that they would pay any early exit fees that I may incurr for leaving ATT.  SOMEONE FROM ATT PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS AND GET A REAL ALL IN PLAN WITHOUT A TON OF BULL**** EXTRA CHARGES AND/OR DISHONEST REPRESENTATION.  From a soon to be ex-ATT customer.

Yes I fell for the same scam!!!!!  ATT is full of crap.  Dishonest advertising and sales people.  I was told 3 phones on a shared data plan for $145.  Because one of the phones was a recently upgraded my shared data plan is actually $170 per month.  Seriously?  I was never told anything about a different price for a recently upgraded phone (which was done before my conversation with ATT about this shared plan) .  I get so tired on the nickel and diming from ATT.  I was about to change carriers for better pricing when I was told about this so called shared data plan deal.  I need to go back and doube check with the other carrier, but I can get 3 phones all in for, I think it was $150 per month.  I think I also remember that they would pay any early exit fees that I may incurr for leaving ATT.  SOMEONE FROM ATT PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS AND GET A REAL ALL IN PLAN WITHOUT A TON OF BULL**** EXTRA CHARGES AND/OR DISHONEST REPRESENTATION.  From a soon to be ex-ATT customer.

282 of 574 (1,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2014 1:55:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
EVERYONE needs to know that the shared data pricing is for OUT OF CONTRACT phone lines. It is stated in the advertising but no one notices. They ONLY notice that the cost is less.
The only reason the cost is less is because AT&T is no longer subsidizing phone costs. If you want a new phone, one way or another, you are going to pay for it. Either you pay full price up front, pay by NEXT, which you pay full price over 20 - 26 months, or if you do get a subsidized phone, you pay more per month on your phone plan.
EVERYONE needs to know that the shared data pricing is for OUT OF CONTRACT phone lines. It is stated in the advertising but no one notices. They ONLY notice that the cost is less.
The only reason the cost is less is because AT&T is no longer subsidizing phone costs. If you want a new phone, one way or another, you are going to pay for it. Either you pay full price up front, pay by NEXT, which you pay full price over 20 - 26 months, or if you do get a subsidized phone, you pay more per month on your phone plan.

283 of 574 (1,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2014 2:20:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

I upgraded to the $160 plan sharing 10GBs with our 4 phones.

I upgraded one phone to a 5s. A month later, 14 days after I can cancel the phone, I received my bill of $25/month more.

All because I upgraded my phone. Not once was I told that my $160 contract would be $185 contract. Not once. It wasn't like I needed to buy a new phone. I had an upgrade available. 

Wow. AT&T really sucks at this point.

I upgraded to the $160 plan sharing 10GBs with our 4 phones.

I upgraded one phone to a 5s. A month later, 14 days after I can cancel the phone, I received my bill of $25/month more.

All because I upgraded my phone. Not once was I told that my $160 contract would be $185 contract. Not once. It wasn't like I needed to buy a new phone. I had an upgrade available. 

Wow. AT&T really sucks at this point.

$160/month plan is deceiving at best

284 of 574 (1,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2014 2:23:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

Oh and their customer support personnel, both of them, were rude, and had the attitude of "too bad". Charles and Randall did not make many friends today.

Oh and their customer support personnel, both of them, were rude, and had the attitude of "too bad". Charles and Randall did not make many friends today.

Re: $160/month plan is deceiving at best

285 of 574 (1,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2014 2:28:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

Bull. Once you upgrade a phone they charge you $25/month more. It just happened to me.

Bull. Once you upgrade a phone they charge you $25/month more. It just happened to me.

286 of 574 (1,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2014 5:03:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

We Americans are not used to the unsubsidized model, so the carriers need to do a better job making it clear how it works.  On the other hand, just a tiny bit of research goes a long way.  It's not hard to understand, and they make it pretty clear on the website.  Should the salespeople and CSR's do a better job of warning customers who upgrade?  Yes they should.

It basicaly works out nearly the same either way.  You either pay less per month on your phone bill and buy you phones at full price (or using the Next program).OR you buy your phone with a subsidy built into the monthly payment.   The "upgrade" you say you were eligible for is a subsidized upgrade.  You can "upgrade" at any time at full retail price and your montly payment will stay the same.  But if you upgrade and take advantage of the subsidized price, then you pay more per month.   Like most carriers in other parts of the world, they are decoupling the subsidy from the montly payment for those who either want to bring their own phones or those who want full control of their phone purchases.

Here's an example:

Say I want a new phone that costs $600 at full retail price.  Over a 24 month period, that is how much?  $25/mo.  How much of a discount are you getting on each line if you bring your own phone or stay off-contract?  $25/mo.   Get it?   So you either 1) pay less per month and buy your own phone, or 2) pay $25/mo more and get a subsidy.   But wait a minute, there's still a catch!   You still normally have to pay $200 when you upgrade for most premium phones.  So if you buy a subsidized phone, you are basically givng the carrier extra money that you could save if you bought your phone yourself. 

Now let me tell you how you can actually make this worthwhile.   I bought a Nexus 5 for $350 off contract.  So I save the $25/mo subsidy price AND I'm paying less than $600 for my phone.  So I just saved myself a lot of money.  You could do the same with some other great phones like the Moto X.  The only way a subsidized phone makes sense (going on contract for 2 years) is if you buy the most expensive phone and upgrade immediately when your 2 years is up.   And even then, the carrier is making extra money off of you for the privilege of letting you "upgrade" and sign on for 2 more years.  No thanks!  I'll stay off contract and buy my own phones.

If you REALLY want to go cheap, then go prepaid.  For example, you can get a 5GB data plan on the new Cricket for $55/mo with unlimited calls/text.   Yes, you have to bring your own phone or buy one at full retail.  But this is still much cheaper than you can do on post-paid, even off contract.

Once you understand how the different models work, it makes more sense.  We still have a long ways to go because our data caps are still too low and prices are still too high compared to many European countries.  But it's a start.  And we have T-Mobile and prepaid options to thank for the breaking up of this subsidized model.

Be angry that they didn't tell you exactly how it works.  But also educate yourself before you make ANY changes to your service or phone.

We Americans are not used to the unsubsidized model, so the carriers need to do a better job making it clear how it works.  On the other hand, just a tiny bit of research goes a long way.  It's not hard to understand, and they make it pretty clear on the website.  Should the salespeople and CSR's do a better job of warning customers who upgrade?  Yes they should.

It basicaly works out nearly the same either way.  You either pay less per month on your phone bill and buy you phones at full price (or using the Next program).OR you buy your phone with a subsidy built into the monthly payment.   The "upgrade" you say you were eligible for is a subsidized upgrade.  You can "upgrade" at any time at full retail price and your montly payment will stay the same.  But if you upgrade and take advantage of the subsidized price, then you pay more per month.   Like most carriers in other parts of the world, they are decoupling the subsidy from the montly payment for those who either want to bring their own phones or those who want full control of their phone purchases.

Here's an example:

Say I want a new phone that costs $600 at full retail price.  Over a 24 month period, that is how much?  $25/mo.  How much of a discount are you getting on each line if you bring your own phone or stay off-contract?  $25/mo.   Get it?   So you either 1) pay less per month and buy your own phone, or 2) pay $25/mo more and get a subsidy.   But wait a minute, there's still a catch!   You still normally have to pay $200 when you upgrade for most premium phones.  So if you buy a subsidized phone, you are basically givng the carrier extra money that you could save if you bought your phone yourself. 

Now let me tell you how you can actually make this worthwhile.   I bought a Nexus 5 for $350 off contract.  So I save the $25/mo subsidy price AND I'm paying less than $600 for my phone.  So I just saved myself a lot of money.  You could do the same with some other great phones like the Moto X.  The only way a subsidized phone makes sense (going on contract for 2 years) is if you buy the most expensive phone and upgrade immediately when your 2 years is up.   And even then, the carrier is making extra money off of you for the privilege of letting you "upgrade" and sign on for 2 more years.  No thanks!  I'll stay off contract and buy my own phones.

If you REALLY want to go cheap, then go prepaid.  For example, you can get a 5GB data plan on the new Cricket for $55/mo with unlimited calls/text.   Yes, you have to bring your own phone or buy one at full retail.  But this is still much cheaper than you can do on post-paid, even off contract.

Once you understand how the different models work, it makes more sense.  We still have a long ways to go because our data caps are still too low and prices are still too high compared to many European countries.  But it's a start.  And we have T-Mobile and prepaid options to thank for the breaking up of this subsidized model.

Be angry that they didn't tell you exactly how it works.  But also educate yourself before you make ANY changes to your service or phone.

287 of 574 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2014 7:30:02 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi Johncoby, 

When you change your plan, you are provided a copy of what is known as a Customer Service Summary (CSS). If you changed your plan in a Retail store, a copy would have been provided in a paper form as well as emailed. If you changed via Customer Care, it would have been emailed. On the front page of the document describes the discounted rate as well as breaks down line by line what your charges will be, including the information about options for upgrading later on down the road.

You can recieve a copy of this by visiting an AT&T Company Owned store or Customer Care can email you a copy of it. 

You would have also received a copy of the CSS when you bought you new iPhone 5S if you upgraded after changing your plan, which would have also outlined the changes to the plan as well. 

In most cases if you break down the cost of what you were paying before vs. now you are most likey still saving money. Also don't forget we offer company discounts which may also reduce your bill even more. 

Hope this helps

Hi Johncoby, 

When you change your plan, you are provided a copy of what is known as a Customer Service Summary (CSS). If you changed your plan in a Retail store, a copy would have been provided in a paper form as well as emailed. If you changed via Customer Care, it would have been emailed. On the front page of the document describes the discounted rate as well as breaks down line by line what your charges will be, including the information about options for upgrading later on down the road.

You can recieve a copy of this by visiting an AT&T Company Owned store or Customer Care can email you a copy of it. 

You would have also received a copy of the CSS when you bought you new iPhone 5S if you upgraded after changing your plan, which would have also outlined the changes to the plan as well. 

In most cases if you break down the cost of what you were paying before vs. now you are most likey still saving money. Also don't forget we offer company discounts which may also reduce your bill even more. 

Hope this helps

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

288 of 574 (1,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2014 9:26:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

johncoby wrote:

They are not charging you more, they are just no longing giving you a discount for not having a contract subsidized phone.  If you look at your bill from prior ro your upgrade you will see a line item that indicates it is a discount for "out of contract".  When you signed a new service contract, you are no longer out of contract, and they stiopped giving you that discount.  It is all posted on the AT&T web site, and TV commercials, as well as clearly listed on your monthly phone bill.  They are not charging you more, they just aren't giving you a discount any longer.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

johncoby wrote:

They are not charging you more, they are just no longing giving you a discount for not having a contract subsidized phone.  If you look at your bill from prior ro your upgrade you will see a line item that indicates it is a discount for "out of contract".  When you signed a new service contract, you are no longer out of contract, and they stiopped giving you that discount.  It is all posted on the AT&T web site, and TV commercials, as well as clearly listed on your monthly phone bill.  They are not charging you more, they just aren't giving you a discount any longer.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

289 of 574 (1,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2014 11:46:54 PM
(0)
Teacher
Despite everything being made clear in the paperwork, the salespeople and CSR's need to do a better job of making this clear to customers *before* they complete their upgrades, especially since this is a major change from the past.
Despite everything being made clear in the paperwork, the salespeople and CSR's need to do a better job of making this clear to customers *before* they complete their upgrades, especially since this is a major change from the past.

290 of 574 (1,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 5:55:01 AM
(0)
Mentor
No matter what kind of a spin you guys try to put on this, AT&T is losing the consumer's good will and that is a commodity more valuable than phone upgrades.

No matter what kind of a spin you guys try to put on this, AT&T is losing the consumer's good will and that is a commodity more valuable than phone upgrades.

291 of 574 (1,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 5:56:35 AM
(0)
Mentor
Actually, it doesn't help at all. The CSS is emailed to you AFTER the damage is already done and there is no going back. The fact remains that I asked the rep at least a dozen times to make sure the plan was not going to end up costing me more. Every time they assured me that I was getting ALL the facts. Never once did they mention that my per-line price would go to $40 if I upgraded. (I had two phones eligible for upgrade at the time.)

Actually, it doesn't help at all. The CSS is emailed to you AFTER the damage is already done and there is no going back. The fact remains that I asked the rep at least a dozen times to make sure the plan was not going to end up costing me more. Every time they assured me that I was getting ALL the facts. Never once did they mention that my per-line price would go to $40 if I upgraded. (I had two phones eligible for upgrade at the time.)

292 of 574 (1,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 6:26:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

I kept asking the sales rep "What is the gimmick?" and was told over and over again there was no gimmick. That was total bunk. I'm contacting my local TV station in Houston. ATT should be up front with this. It should be very clear. There should be absolutely no surprises when it comes to this $160/month plan.

As for me, we will be migrating away from ATT completely. Uverse included. They are just too dishonest to be giving them my money. 

I kept asking the sales rep "What is the gimmick?" and was told over and over again there was no gimmick. That was total bunk. I'm contacting my local TV station in Houston. ATT should be up front with this. It should be very clear. There should be absolutely no surprises when it comes to this $160/month plan.

As for me, we will be migrating away from ATT completely. Uverse included. They are just too dishonest to be giving them my money. 

293 of 574 (1,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 6:55:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

"They are not charging you more. You are just paying more!"

Right. This is deception at its best.

"They are not charging you more. You are just paying more!"

Right. This is deception at its best.

294 of 574 (1,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 6:57:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

When I upgraded I asked repeatedly "What is the gimmick?" and I was assured there were no gimmicks. It was just like what I have been used to with ATT for over a decade.

This is a gimmick. It is deception. It is below ATT.

When I upgraded I asked repeatedly "What is the gimmick?" and I was assured there were no gimmicks. It was just like what I have been used to with ATT for over a decade.

This is a gimmick. It is deception. It is below ATT.

295 of 574 (1,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 7:27:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

dagootee wrote:

Yes I fell for the same scam!!!!!  ATT is full of crap.  Dishonest advertising and sales people.  I was told 3 phones on a shared data plan for $145.  Because one of the phones was a recently upgraded my shared data plan is actually $170 per month.  Seriously?  I was never told anything about a different price for a recently upgraded phone (which was done before my conversation with ATT about this shared plan) .

When you say that one of your phones was "recently upgraded"--was that done before or after you had (planned to) switch over to MSV?  If before (but after the grace cutoff date for those who were under contract to still qualify for the $25 line discount), then clearly the rep should have told you that one of your lines would not qualify for the $15 line price while going over the MSV pricing as it applies to your account.

dagootee wrote:

Yes I fell for the same scam!!!!!  ATT is full of crap.  Dishonest advertising and sales people.  I was told 3 phones on a shared data plan for $145.  Because one of the phones was a recently upgraded my shared data plan is actually $170 per month.  Seriously?  I was never told anything about a different price for a recently upgraded phone (which was done before my conversation with ATT about this shared plan) .

When you say that one of your phones was "recently upgraded"--was that done before or after you had (planned to) switch over to MSV?  If before (but after the grace cutoff date for those who were under contract to still qualify for the $25 line discount), then clearly the rep should have told you that one of your lines would not qualify for the $15 line price while going over the MSV pricing as it applies to your account.

296 of 574 (1,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 9:02:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

May 13, 2016 is the date i will be dropping AT&T due to poor business practices.

I signed up for the "awesome" value plan, to find out the hard way that as soon as you upgrade one of your phones, the $25 monthly discount is pulled out from under you for that line. What kind of service is that? Beyond pathetic. I've been a loyal customer since the "brick" cell phone, and this is how they treat me.

Looking to see if Sprint or any other carriers are willing to pay for the $773 cancellation charges to switch.

I will also be dropping UVerse, I don't want to support AT&T in any way, shape or form. Shame on you AT&T!!

May 13, 2016 is the date i will be dropping AT&T due to poor business practices.

I signed up for the "awesome" value plan, to find out the hard way that as soon as you upgrade one of your phones, the $25 monthly discount is pulled out from under you for that line. What kind of service is that? Beyond pathetic. I've been a loyal customer since the "brick" cell phone, and this is how they treat me.

Looking to see if Sprint or any other carriers are willing to pay for the $773 cancellation charges to switch.

I will also be dropping UVerse, I don't want to support AT&T in any way, shape or form. Shame on you AT&T!!

Mobile Share "No-Value" Plan

297 of 574 (1,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 9:05:13 AM
(0)
Master

mdgelfond wrote:

This is not the value plan persee but the "Next" feature to upgrade your devices.  It sounds great but running the numbers does show that total cost of ownership can be more expensive with this option unless you upgrade frequently.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

mdgelfond wrote:

This is not the value plan persee but the "Next" feature to upgrade your devices.  It sounds great but running the numbers does show that total cost of ownership can be more expensive with this option unless you upgrade frequently.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Mobile Share "No-Value" Plan

298 of 574 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 9:08:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mdgelfond wrote:

In the terms and conditions, AT&T clearly states, "To keep discounted pricing while upgrading to a new phone, you must purchase via AT&T Next, purchase at full price, or bring your own phone." Should a rep have mentioned this as well. I think so. Does it mean AT&T has bad business practices if they didn't? Nope.

mdgelfond wrote:

In the terms and conditions, AT&T clearly states, "To keep discounted pricing while upgrading to a new phone, you must purchase via AT&T Next, purchase at full price, or bring your own phone." Should a rep have mentioned this as well. I think so. Does it mean AT&T has bad business practices if they didn't? Nope.

299 of 574 (1,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 9:10:36 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, mdgelfond!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about the confusion surrounding the Next upgrade. We would be happy to review your account and explore some alternatives, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, mdgelfond!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about the confusion surrounding the Next upgrade. We would be happy to review your account and explore some alternatives, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

300 of 574 (1,165 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments