Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 20, 2014
6:48:17 PM
Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:27:58 AM

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 2:53:54 PM
(0)
Employee

The plan itself is the following:

$100+40/smartphone+15/basic phone

You get a $25 credit per line for your smartphones under the following circumstances:

1. Your contract on your phone started prior to February 2, 2014.
  2. You are on next for your upgrade.
  3. You have no contract (applies to bring your own device).

If you do not meet the requirements for the credit you will not receive it.  You can evaluate how you want to get the device, however it breaks down that if you are on this new plan and want a new phone then bring your own device or next will come out costing you the least.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
573 replies
(21) Me too
(21) Me too
View all replies
(573)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 1:27:16 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Mar 18, 2014 at 1:33:43 PM

dmapr wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Actually it is disclosed, if you would add the phone utilizing the Next plan it is 15.00, but if you want a subsidized phone it is 40.00

LOL, your screen shot is the perfect example of it not being disclosed. Sure, it tells you all the cases of when it costs $15, but how much it'll cost on subsidy is nowhere in your example.

Maybe becasue I concentrated exactly on the fact that the words specificly state with Next plan or no annual service contract. It was stated that there is no disclosure that show the requirements for the 15.00, which according to the insert disproves that/ Maybe this one will work better for you becasue is specificly gives both the 15 and the 40 cost and what the requirements are for the 15.00 pricing. Notice the caveat at the bottom

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

dmapr wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Actually it is disclosed, if you would add the phone utilizing the Next plan it is 15.00, but if you want a subsidized phone it is 40.00

LOL, your screen shot is the perfect example of it not being disclosed. Sure, it tells you all the cases of when it costs $15, but how much it'll cost on subsidy is nowhere in your example.

Maybe becasue I concentrated exactly on the fact that the words specificly state with Next plan or no annual service contract. It was stated that there is no disclosure that show the requirements for the 15.00, which according to the insert disproves that/ Maybe this one will work better for you becasue is specificly gives both the 15 and the 40 cost and what the requirements are for the 15.00 pricing. Notice the caveat at the bottom

Re: Family plan is not as advertised.

[ Edited ]
61 of 574 (4,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 2:20:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

it is what it is.  ATT states that you will pay full price when you upgrade.  I was told this when I switched to the new plan.  

It amazes me that people think they should get the 15 a month if you buy a subsidised phone.  That 25 extra covers the cost of the phone.  

What you should have done was buy a used smart phone and add it to the line.  Or better yet the moto g is only 179 bucks or nexus 5 for 350.  

If people want subsidised phones this plan is not for them.  This is for next customers or BYOD people

That might be because you don't just pay $15 a month on any plan.  For years people have walked in and paid from 1 cent to $199 and paid an upgrade fee and left with the same monthly charge. Now all of a sudden you go in and pay $199 for a 5s and a $36 upgrade fee and the bill increases by $25 a month.

Look how this works out. For the wonderful priviledge of agreeing to be an AT&T customer for 2 more years and get an Iphone 5c you get to pay $600 more in payments, $199 plus $38 upgrade fee for a grade total of $837. All this to upgrade one of your 4 lines.

You are right if you want a substidized phone this is not the plan for you.  Problem is AT&T employees did not explain the details till after people have signed up and tried to get a new phone.

Then there is the problen of charging people $40 instead of $15 when they brought an old phone into the plan. If you want to make AT&T the innocent party in this MVS plan you aren't looking very clearly.

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

it is what it is.  ATT states that you will pay full price when you upgrade.  I was told this when I switched to the new plan.  

It amazes me that people think they should get the 15 a month if you buy a subsidised phone.  That 25 extra covers the cost of the phone.  

What you should have done was buy a used smart phone and add it to the line.  Or better yet the moto g is only 179 bucks or nexus 5 for 350.  

If people want subsidised phones this plan is not for them.  This is for next customers or BYOD people

That might be because you don't just pay $15 a month on any plan.  For years people have walked in and paid from 1 cent to $199 and paid an upgrade fee and left with the same monthly charge. Now all of a sudden you go in and pay $199 for a 5s and a $36 upgrade fee and the bill increases by $25 a month.

Look how this works out. For the wonderful priviledge of agreeing to be an AT&T customer for 2 more years and get an Iphone 5c you get to pay $600 more in payments, $199 plus $38 upgrade fee for a grade total of $837. All this to upgrade one of your 4 lines.

You are right if you want a substidized phone this is not the plan for you.  Problem is AT&T employees did not explain the details till after people have signed up and tried to get a new phone.

Then there is the problen of charging people $40 instead of $15 when they brought an old phone into the plan. If you want to make AT&T the innocent party in this MVS plan you aren't looking very clearly.

62 of 574 (4,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 4:31:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

wingrider01 wrote:

Yep, this is a much better illustration. I think most complaints that I've seen here were specifically mentioning ads and store personnell interactions. I myself have not been confused by the pricing at all, but I only looked online. I haven't seen any ads and I haven't talked to anybody in a store so I have no idea what that experience is like.

wingrider01 wrote:

Yep, this is a much better illustration. I think most complaints that I've seen here were specifically mentioning ads and store personnell interactions. I myself have not been confused by the pricing at all, but I only looked online. I haven't seen any ads and I haven't talked to anybody in a store so I have no idea what that experience is like.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

63 of 574 (4,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 5:10:10 PM
(0)
Explorer

Wow!  Unbelieavable how many people will not take responsibility for their laziness towards lack of detail.  I didn't need a rep to "spell it out" for me what would cost $40 and what would cost $15 per month.  I did a little homework before deciding to make the switch from my old plan to the new value plan.  And, as crazy as it may seem, I actually did the math before I decided to go from my HTC One to the G2 on the Next plan and go from the I-Phone 4 to a 5c for my son on the Next plan.  Why Next?  Because it was cheaper than buying a subsidized phone over the life of the contract.  Again, a rep didn't tell me that; I figured it out on my own.  People need to take a little responsibility for their choices and actions. 

Wow!  Unbelieavable how many people will not take responsibility for their laziness towards lack of detail.  I didn't need a rep to "spell it out" for me what would cost $40 and what would cost $15 per month.  I did a little homework before deciding to make the switch from my old plan to the new value plan.  And, as crazy as it may seem, I actually did the math before I decided to go from my HTC One to the G2 on the Next plan and go from the I-Phone 4 to a 5c for my son on the Next plan.  Why Next?  Because it was cheaper than buying a subsidized phone over the life of the contract.  Again, a rep didn't tell me that; I figured it out on my own.  People need to take a little responsibility for their choices and actions. 

64 of 574 (4,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 6:37:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

urbhusker wrote:

You do realize that all these disclosures that are being printed are from the updated promotional add after a lot of the problems. They are much more detailed than the MVS plan add when it first came out.

The televison add and the phone reps in most cases didn't explain the change in cost you would get when there was an upgrade to the account. There are 1000's of unhappy customers. When you have this much confusion over a plan with customers and AT&T employees the problem is with the plan roll out and not being lazy.

urbhusker wrote:

You do realize that all these disclosures that are being printed are from the updated promotional add after a lot of the problems. They are much more detailed than the MVS plan add when it first came out.

The televison add and the phone reps in most cases didn't explain the change in cost you would get when there was an upgrade to the account. There are 1000's of unhappy customers. When you have this much confusion over a plan with customers and AT&T employees the problem is with the plan roll out and not being lazy.

65 of 574 (4,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 8:38:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

T-Boy wrote:

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

your price for the 5c is a little high there.  The 5c is 99.99 or 199.99 depending on size.  its also 549 off contract so next would be cheaper with this phone. 

T-Boy wrote:

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

your price for the 5c is a little high there.  The 5c is 99.99 or 199.99 depending on size.  its also 549 off contract so next would be cheaper with this phone. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

66 of 574 (4,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 8:45:53 AM
(0)
Scholar

Bottom line--if having to pay not 1 penny more than the cost of purchasing a phone at subsidized pricing is important to your bottom line (other than any required taxes or upgrade/activation fees associated with purchasing a subsidized price phone), then your best bet is to stay on your grandfathered non-MSV plan.

If on MSV 10 GB or higher, then Next is the better way to go if looking to upgrade your phone since if you go with the subsidized pricing option on MSV, you will have to pay a minimum of $600 ($25 increase in per-line charge x 24 months) plus the cost of the subsidized phone itself, over the course of the 2-year contract--less, if you ETF but then you'd have to factor in the cost of the ETF.  OTOH if you're on a MSV 8 GB or lower plan, then Next may not absolutely be the best way to go--if you go the subsidized route, then it's $360 ($15 increase in per-line charge x 24 months) plus the cost of the subsidized phone--using iPhone 5s 16 GB as an example, subsidized phone cost is $200 + $360 for going subsidized, while Next price is $650 (spread over 20 or 26 months)...do the math and you'll see that subsidized is the better way to go in this case, cost-wise.

Bottom line--if having to pay not 1 penny more than the cost of purchasing a phone at subsidized pricing is important to your bottom line (other than any required taxes or upgrade/activation fees associated with purchasing a subsidized price phone), then your best bet is to stay on your grandfathered non-MSV plan.

If on MSV 10 GB or higher, then Next is the better way to go if looking to upgrade your phone since if you go with the subsidized pricing option on MSV, you will have to pay a minimum of $600 ($25 increase in per-line charge x 24 months) plus the cost of the subsidized phone itself, over the course of the 2-year contract--less, if you ETF but then you'd have to factor in the cost of the ETF.  OTOH if you're on a MSV 8 GB or lower plan, then Next may not absolutely be the best way to go--if you go the subsidized route, then it's $360 ($15 increase in per-line charge x 24 months) plus the cost of the subsidized phone--using iPhone 5s 16 GB as an example, subsidized phone cost is $200 + $360 for going subsidized, while Next price is $650 (spread over 20 or 26 months)...do the math and you'll see that subsidized is the better way to go in this case, cost-wise.

67 of 574 (4,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 1:24:30 PM
(0)
Explorer
There are 1000's of unhappy customers over this? Again, it took a little reading and personal accountability on my part to figure out what was best for me.
There are 1000's of unhappy customers over this? Again, it took a little reading and personal accountability on my part to figure out what was best for me.

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

68 of 574 (4,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 1:55:32 PM
(0)
Tutor
Oh it was very confusing. We wanted to add my grandmother to our plan and switch to the new plan and the guy at the store ended up having us paying $500 for an iPhone 4S and our bill went from $162 a month to $180??? Unfortunately I had to spend 3 hours on the phone with AT&T fixing the problem. The customer service rep admitted that the store associate made the mistake, not me, but the point is the billing of it was made more complicated than it needed to be by the sales associate. Just another way that AT&T shows the most valuable part of what they do is take my paycheck.
Oh it was very confusing. We wanted to add my grandmother to our plan and switch to the new plan and the guy at the store ended up having us paying $500 for an iPhone 4S and our bill went from $162 a month to $180??? Unfortunately I had to spend 3 hours on the phone with AT&T fixing the problem. The customer service rep admitted that the store associate made the mistake, not me, but the point is the billing of it was made more complicated than it needed to be by the sales associate. Just another way that AT&T shows the most valuable part of what they do is take my paycheck.

69 of 574 (4,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 2:18:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

You are so right I have been with ATT for over 10 years and regretted it the whole time you have watch your bill very very closely if it was it for there good coverage I would have left years ago. 

You are so right I have been with ATT for over 10 years and regretted it the whole time you have watch your bill very very closely if it was it for there good coverage I would have left years ago. 

70 of 574 (4,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 6:45:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

The new ads are a little more clear but when I sign up in February it was not only mine but the agent at Best Buy that understood it to be 160.00 per month for the 10g data shared with or without contract and had us turn in our old i phones in for 150.00 credit torward the new i phone 5s so that we only had to pay $1 for the new i phone 5s.  When she did the paper work it was coming up at the 260.00 amount and she called the service department and was told they would fixed it on there end to reduce it to 160.00.  It was a shock to me when I open my bill to see that I am paying 260.00 and nothing was done to reduce it and now AT&T is telling me that there is nothing they can do and that I have already gone over 14 days and cannot even get out of the misleading deal.  I switch from Verizon to lower my bill just to end up paying more each month.  

The new ads are a little more clear but when I sign up in February it was not only mine but the agent at Best Buy that understood it to be 160.00 per month for the 10g data shared with or without contract and had us turn in our old i phones in for 150.00 credit torward the new i phone 5s so that we only had to pay $1 for the new i phone 5s.  When she did the paper work it was coming up at the 260.00 amount and she called the service department and was told they would fixed it on there end to reduce it to 160.00.  It was a shock to me when I open my bill to see that I am paying 260.00 and nothing was done to reduce it and now AT&T is telling me that there is nothing they can do and that I have already gone over 14 days and cannot even get out of the misleading deal.  I switch from Verizon to lower my bill just to end up paying more each month.  

71 of 574 (4,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 10:20:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

you need to go directly to the supervisors and lay the hammer down!  be firm and to the point and do not back down.  they told you $160 and they are LEGALLY bound to that.  I've worked in marketing for 9 years and I know how businesses like AT&T and Verizon mislead customers.  if you stand firm and don't back down they will make the adjustment for you.  don't believe the garbage excuse "the computer won't let me..." men wrote the software, men can change it and it does happen.  I haven't paid a new device activation fee except for the first day we enrolled with AT&T.  it's a junk fee and AT&T can't tell you how it's spent.  So everytime we upgrade our phones I get it waived.  you can't successfully argue against sound reason and logic so they have to conceded.  keep trying, it's total garbage that they're doing you like this.

you need to go directly to the supervisors and lay the hammer down!  be firm and to the point and do not back down.  they told you $160 and they are LEGALLY bound to that.  I've worked in marketing for 9 years and I know how businesses like AT&T and Verizon mislead customers.  if you stand firm and don't back down they will make the adjustment for you.  don't believe the garbage excuse "the computer won't let me..." men wrote the software, men can change it and it does happen.  I haven't paid a new device activation fee except for the first day we enrolled with AT&T.  it's a junk fee and AT&T can't tell you how it's spent.  So everytime we upgrade our phones I get it waived.  you can't successfully argue against sound reason and logic so they have to conceded.  keep trying, it's total garbage that they're doing you like this.

72 of 574 (3,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 8:40:26 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jane697 on Mar 20, 2014 at 8:57:34 AM

troyspizza wrote:

How much were you charged for the iPhone5s (before the $150 credit was applied)?  If you were charged the subsidized price for the phone ($199/$299/$399 for 16/32/64 GB respectively)--meaning, no AT&T Next or you paying full retail price up front for the phone, then you would not qualify for the $160 MSV 10 GB deal.
If you didn't pay full price for the 5s (before trade-in credit) or agree to AT&T Next, you won't/don't qualify for the $160 offer.  The only ways you're getting the $160 deal is if you bring/use your existing phone regardless of whether you were still under 2-year contract as of 2/1/14 (which doesn't apply in your case since you stated that you upgraded to the 5s), purchase a new phone under AT&T Next, or pay the full retail price of the phone up front.  If you did anything that put you under a new 2-year contract (e.g., upgrade to a new phone under subsidized pricing) after 2/1/14, you don't get the $160 deal--or more accurately, those lines for which you did not either use your own phone, purchased a phone under Next , or paid full retail price for will not qualify for the $25/line discount (on MSV 10+ GB plans).

troyspizza wrote:

How much were you charged for the iPhone5s (before the $150 credit was applied)?  If you were charged the subsidized price for the phone ($199/$299/$399 for 16/32/64 GB respectively)--meaning, no AT&T Next or you paying full retail price up front for the phone, then you would not qualify for the $160 MSV 10 GB deal.
If you didn't pay full price for the 5s (before trade-in credit) or agree to AT&T Next, you won't/don't qualify for the $160 offer.  The only ways you're getting the $160 deal is if you bring/use your existing phone regardless of whether you were still under 2-year contract as of 2/1/14 (which doesn't apply in your case since you stated that you upgraded to the 5s), purchase a new phone under AT&T Next, or pay the full retail price of the phone up front.  If you did anything that put you under a new 2-year contract (e.g., upgrade to a new phone under subsidized pricing) after 2/1/14, you don't get the $160 deal--or more accurately, those lines for which you did not either use your own phone, purchased a phone under Next , or paid full retail price for will not qualify for the $25/line discount (on MSV 10+ GB plans).

[ Edited ]
73 of 574 (3,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 6:51:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

jane697 wrote:

troyspizza wrote:

You do understand that what you say is correct but that is not what he was told at Best Buy. When I go into a retail store and buy a product I expect to be told the price I am paying from a person that is authorized to sell AT&T products. If the sales rep had explained the extra cost he would have lost a sale. Do you think that might be part of the problem??

My wife went to an AT&T store in June 2012 and bought a new Iphone. No problem, we pay the $99, the upgrade fee, and buy her a data plan. I look at the bill today and I see a $2.99 charge for AT&T Roadside Assistance. I call AT&T and find out I have been paying $2.99 for the last 18 months for AT&T Roadside Assistance for a woman that already has Roadside assistance on her car from the car manufacturer. She never agreed or authorized this so the rep at the AT&T store just added it on his on. OK, maybe I should have looked closer at the 10 page bill before now, but this is why AT&T has so many problems.

Next, my Mobile Share Plan came out at the $15 per line like it suppose to be and the AT&T rep gave me a $50 credit for this service I didn't even know I had.

I ended up buying the AT&T Roadside Assistance on my daughters phone because her car does not have this coverage and if it works like they say its good protection for $2.99 a month.

Adding things you didn't approve and giving incorrect pricing is very poor business and will cost them customers.

jane697 wrote:

troyspizza wrote:

You do understand that what you say is correct but that is not what he was told at Best Buy. When I go into a retail store and buy a product I expect to be told the price I am paying from a person that is authorized to sell AT&T products. If the sales rep had explained the extra cost he would have lost a sale. Do you think that might be part of the problem??

My wife went to an AT&T store in June 2012 and bought a new Iphone. No problem, we pay the $99, the upgrade fee, and buy her a data plan. I look at the bill today and I see a $2.99 charge for AT&T Roadside Assistance. I call AT&T and find out I have been paying $2.99 for the last 18 months for AT&T Roadside Assistance for a woman that already has Roadside assistance on her car from the car manufacturer. She never agreed or authorized this so the rep at the AT&T store just added it on his on. OK, maybe I should have looked closer at the 10 page bill before now, but this is why AT&T has so many problems.

Next, my Mobile Share Plan came out at the $15 per line like it suppose to be and the AT&T rep gave me a $50 credit for this service I didn't even know I had.

I ended up buying the AT&T Roadside Assistance on my daughters phone because her car does not have this coverage and if it works like they say its good protection for $2.99 a month.

Adding things you didn't approve and giving incorrect pricing is very poor business and will cost them customers.

74 of 574 (3,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 5:00:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

They told me when I walked into the store I had to supply my own phones to get this deal!

They told me when I walked into the store I had to supply my own phones to get this deal!

75 of 574 (3,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 5:25:03 PM
(0)
Employee

Hey outlaux57,

The $160 ($100 + $15 per phone) price is the price of purely service, without budgeting any cost for phones

Using phones you already own is the easiest way.

Buying phones at the full retail price is the alternative.

If you want to buy a phone and those options don't work, then you may want to budget the extra cost for the phones.

Either the extra $25/month contract phones would costs (pointless/overpriced)
, or the A&T Next  ($10-$40 depending on the phone, usually it's less, including the upfront charges).

-Alex

Hey outlaux57,

The $160 ($100 + $15 per phone) price is the price of purely service, without budgeting any cost for phones

If you want to buy a phone and those options don't work, then you may want to budget the extra cost for the phones.

, or the A&T Next  ($10-$40 depending on the phone, usually it's less, including the upfront charges).

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

76 of 574 (3,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 6:46:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

loganic wrote:

Hey outlaux57,

-Alex

See how easy this is to explain.  Why can't AT&T employees do the same. I'm sure they are doing a better job now but believe me in February I talked to several AT&T employees and they did not have a clue how the program worked.

One sentence:  The Mobile Share Value plans "DO NOT INCLUDE THE PHONES"  But then if you understand this you might not sign up for Obamacare, opps I mean the MSV plan.

Last question:  Why does AT&T refuse to let you go back to your old plan??   They moved people to where they wanted them to be.

loganic wrote:

Hey outlaux57,

-Alex

See how easy this is to explain.  Why can't AT&T employees do the same. I'm sure they are doing a better job now but believe me in February I talked to several AT&T employees and they did not have a clue how the program worked.

One sentence:  The Mobile Share Value plans "DO NOT INCLUDE THE PHONES"  But then if you understand this you might not sign up for Obamacare, opps I mean the MSV plan.

Last question:  Why does AT&T refuse to let you go back to your old plan??   They moved people to where they wanted them to be.

77 of 574 (3,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 7:23:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

I was told that on the new share plan and using Next, there is NO upgrade fee... or Next fee as opposed to a contract data plan upgrade.

I was told that on the new share plan and using Next, there is NO upgrade fee... or Next fee as opposed to a contract data plan upgrade.

78 of 574 (3,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 7:24:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

I was told you do not pay taxes on the new Next phones.

79 of 574 (3,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:08:47 AM
(0)
Employee

Hey timbuk2okc

That's correct about the upgrade fee. It's not part of the agreement for AT&T Next.

The 'typical' AT&T Next has you paying the taxes upfront; they're not added to bill, but I've seen 'specials' offered by various places to eat the taxes, so you pay nothing upfront. Those offers are based on the sales channel, and not able to be manually applied.

-Alex

Hey timbuk2okc

That's correct about the upgrade fee. It's not part of the agreement for AT&T Next.

The 'typical' AT&T Next has you paying the taxes upfront; they're not added to bill, but I've seen 'specials' offered by various places to eat the taxes, so you pay nothing upfront. Those offers are based on the sales channel, and not able to be manually applied.

-Alex

80 of 574 (3,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:50:54 AM
(0)
Expert

timbuk2okc wrote:

you do pay sales tax

timbuk2okc wrote:

you do pay sales tax

81 of 574 (3,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 10:07:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I recently came back to att after switching my line of family talk to verizon. ported back to att on same family plan that has been active since 2008. Talked with reps about new mobile share plan and pricing. told was going to be $15 per line. After i made the switch, and look at bill 16 days later. I see the newly ported line as well as another line with recent upgrade getting charged $40 per month, instead of $15 i was told. Talked to customer service 3 different times and i i get is an apology for getting the wrong answer. No offer to fix it, just get told that's how it is. Now there is no way for me to cancel my line and move back to verizon without paying $325 early termination fee.

All I want is to get what i was promised.

If I don't get help soon I may just fork over the ETFs and move all 9 lines to verizon, and pay what they tell me it will be

I recently came back to att after switching my line of family talk to verizon. ported back to att on same family plan that has been active since 2008. Talked with reps about new mobile share plan and pricing. told was going to be $15 per line. After i made the switch, and look at bill 16 days later. I see the newly ported line as well as another line with recent upgrade getting charged $40 per month, instead of $15 i was told. Talked to customer service 3 different times and i i get is an apology for getting the wrong answer. No offer to fix it, just get told that's how it is. Now there is no way for me to cancel my line and move back to verizon without paying $325 early termination fee.

All I want is to get what i was promised.

If I don't get help soon I may just fork over the ETFs and move all 9 lines to verizon, and pay what they tell me it will be

Given misinformation on new mobile share plan. No fix. Only sorry

82 of 574 (3,798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 10:44:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

It would still be $15 per line IF you didn't upgrade a line.  Thing is you upgraded a line and now that line is $40.  I recently upgrade one of my lines, and hence, that line is now $40.  Originally, I was paying $30 per line for 5 lines, then AT&T changed the price plan and made it much cheaper, basically half price, resulting in $95 per month savings for me.  But I had to upgrade my phone, so my main phone is now $40 per month.  The rest of my lines aren't due for upgrade this year, so I still come out ahead.  

The thing is, when I upgrade the other 4 lines next year, I will be paying $50 more than I originally started with (from $30 per line to $40).  Then it will become expensive.  

It would still be $15 per line IF you didn't upgrade a line.  Thing is you upgraded a line and now that line is $40.  I recently upgrade one of my lines, and hence, that line is now $40.  Originally, I was paying $30 per line for 5 lines, then AT&T changed the price plan and made it much cheaper, basically half price, resulting in $95 per month savings for me.  But I had to upgrade my phone, so my main phone is now $40 per month.  The rest of my lines aren't due for upgrade this year, so I still come out ahead.  

The thing is, when I upgrade the other 4 lines next year, I will be paying $50 more than I originally started with (from $30 per line to $40).  Then it will become expensive.  

Re: Given misinformation on new mobile share plan. No fix. Only sorry

83 of 574 (3,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 11:00:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

The issue at hand is that i was told by a rep when i asked about upgrading, that it would be $15. I asked about my upgrade and they told me i could upgrade at any time. Never once did they tell me if i upgraded, it would change to $40

The issue at hand is that i was told by a rep when i asked about upgrading, that it would be $15. I asked about my upgrade and they told me i could upgrade at any time. Never once did they tell me if i upgraded, it would change to $40

84 of 574 (3,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 11:44:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Did you read the fine print?  I don't trust commissoned sales people.  And why would you upgrade.  Just pay full retail its cheaper.  Or buy a nexus.  Att mad these plans for next or BYOD people.  I love them but then again I get a new nexus each year.  I found unlocked moto g for 69 bucks new.  Just slap the kids Sim cards in then there good for awhile 

Did you read the fine print?  I don't trust commissoned sales people.  And why would you upgrade.  Just pay full retail its cheaper.  Or buy a nexus.  Att mad these plans for next or BYOD people.  I love them but then again I get a new nexus each year.  I found unlocked moto g for 69 bucks new.  Just slap the kids Sim cards in then there good for awhile 

85 of 574 (3,774 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 6:02:10 AM
(1)
Scholar

rowell65 wrote:

Bingo, we have a winner,  get you to switch and then upgrade and the bill is higher.  So let me ask you, wouldn't you be better off on your old plan and getting substidized phones and keeping the same bill??

I have 3 phones on my account. My bill is lower now but will be about the same when I need one new phone and then more when I need the second. I do get extra data but we only used less than 1G less month.

Not a bad plan but the information on the roll out was terrible and it will not save you money in the long run as advertized.

What it will do is get me to let all 3 lines run out of contract and then look for a better deal.

rowell65 wrote:

Bingo, we have a winner,  get you to switch and then upgrade and the bill is higher.  So let me ask you, wouldn't you be better off on your old plan and getting substidized phones and keeping the same bill??

I have 3 phones on my account. My bill is lower now but will be about the same when I need one new phone and then more when I need the second. I do get extra data but we only used less than 1G less month.

Not a bad plan but the information on the roll out was terrible and it will not save you money in the long run as advertized.

What it will do is get me to let all 3 lines run out of contract and then look for a better deal.

86 of 574 (3,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 6:42:54 AM
(0)
Former Employee
Edited by sandblaster on Mar 29, 2014 at 6:48:26 AM

rowell65 wrote:

Here is where folks on the new plans considering an upgrade really need to do the math because that "discounted" phone may end up costing you more than paying full price. You will be paying $25 more per month on that line for 2 years. That is $600 over those 2 years. Add to that whatever you paid upfront for the phone plus the upgrade fee and you get the total cost of that discounted phone. So, say you get a new iPhone at $199. The total cost is really $199 + $36 + $600 = $835. Full price for that same phone is much less plus if you use the Next program there is no upgrade fee. 

rowell65 wrote:

Here is where folks on the new plans considering an upgrade really need to do the math because that "discounted" phone may end up costing you more than paying full price. You will be paying $25 more per month on that line for 2 years. That is $600 over those 2 years. Add to that whatever you paid upfront for the phone plus the upgrade fee and you get the total cost of that discounted phone. So, say you get a new iPhone at $199. The total cost is really $199 + $36 + $600 = $835. Full price for that same phone is much less plus if you use the Next program there is no upgrade fee. 

[ Edited ]
87 of 574 (3,744 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 1:36:45 PM
(1)
Scholar

sandblaster wrote:

rowell65 wrote:

Or maybe if you stayed on the old plan you pay $199 plus $36 upgrade fee for a 5s and don't pay $650 for a phone. There goes most of the saving you think you got with the MSV plan. This plan is not saving anyone very much.

sandblaster wrote:

rowell65 wrote:

Or maybe if you stayed on the old plan you pay $199 plus $36 upgrade fee for a 5s and don't pay $650 for a phone. There goes most of the saving you think you got with the MSV plan. This plan is not saving anyone very much.

88 of 574 (3,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 3:20:52 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Mar 29, 2014 at 3:33:28 PM

On the old plans, the extra ~$15+ was budgeted in, theoretically, so if you didn't buy the pay at the end of the contract, if you didn't upgrade right away, the extra  would just towards network improvements..

The contract pricing for the new plans, is fairly similar to the rates of the old plans, (1400 min + unlim txting + 3 x 3gb data plans ~ $220, vs MSV 10gb $220). Little more flexibility on data, little less on minutes,

Given that, most of this will end up with people getting temporary discounts, until they get new contract, the bill revert back to the typical rates. The discounts/plans should strongly encourage people to start getting AT&T Next upgrades instead of contracts, which I suspect is AT&T's long play.

With the Next program, I'm hoping, people stop treating the phones like $50 pieces of junk. Anyone will be able to upgrade early or unlock their phone early by paying it off. Overall,  I'm hoping for just less griping about upgrades and more appreciation/care for the phones.

Somehow I suspect people will still keep giving 12 years olds iPhones, but now they'll be more cognizant that it's a $600 device.

-Alex

On the old plans, the extra ~$15+ was budgeted in, theoretically, so if you didn't buy the pay at the end of the contract, if you didn't upgrade right away, the extra  would just towards network improvements..

The contract pricing for the new plans, is fairly similar to the rates of the old plans, (1400 min + unlim txting + 3 x 3gb data plans ~ $220, vs MSV 10gb $220). Little more flexibility on data, little less on minutes,

Given that, most of this will end up with people getting temporary discounts, until they get new contract, the bill revert back to the typical rates. The discounts/plans should strongly encourage people to start getting AT&T Next upgrades instead of contracts, which I suspect is AT&T's long play.

With the Next program, I'm hoping, people stop treating the phones like $50 pieces of junk. Anyone will be able to upgrade early or unlock their phone early by paying it off. Overall,  I'm hoping for just less griping about upgrades and more appreciation/care for the phones.

Somehow I suspect people will still keep giving 12 years olds iPhones, but now they'll be more cognizant that it's a $600 device.

-Alex

[ Edited ]
89 of 574 (3,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 3:52:26 PM
(0)
Contributor
They do not tell you that there is a extra charge for using smart phones! How may people do you think runs data on a basic flip phone any more.
They do not tell you that there is a extra charge for using smart phones! How may people do you think runs data on a basic flip phone any more.

90 of 574 (3,722 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments