Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Teacher

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Message 1 of 574 (115,605 Views)
Tutor

Re: Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Well I see all these people complaining  about ths MSV plan and all I can say is read the fine print. I read it and knew that a new phone would cost me the $40 a month. I talked to a rep on line and went to the store. I bought two Iphones for cash on ebay and have the $15 a month acces rate for 4 phones. I did not think it was deceptive at all. If i choose to upgrade to a new phone my new fee will be $40. I'm pretty happy with the plan. My mistake was adding the lines in the middle of our billing cycle. That first bill was a doozy, My wife got on the phone and had all the fees and prorates waived thank God. So far so good.

Message 211 of 574 (1,515 Views)
Scholar

Re: Family plan is not as advertised.

Geekboy--I get what you're saying; my point/argument was meant towards those folks who may be wondering whether to go with an MSV plan.  If a person is on an MSV plan and decides to upgrade to a newer/better phone, he should understand that he will ultimately pay quite a bit more for the phone--whether upgraded via Next or taking the subsidy price option which will result in a $25/month increase for the next 24 months on the line that got the phone upgrade--than he would have paid had he decided to stay with his old non-MSV plan.

Case in point--say I decided not to switch to MSV but instead stay with my old plan...I then decide I want an iPhone 5S 16 GB--it would cost me $199, and my monthly bill would stay the same.  OTOH if I was on MSV 10 GB and wanted to upgrade to the same phone, I could go with Next which would mean over the course of 20 or 26 months my monthly bill will increase since I would be required to pay off the full retail price of the phone ($650) spread across 20/26 months...or I could take the subsidized price option which means $199 plus my monthly bill would go up $25/month for the next 24 months--only a numbnut would go with the latter option since doing so means you would effectively wind up paying $799 for the phone by the end of the 24 months.

Bottom line--if your philosophy is such that you don't want to pay even a penny more than the subsidized price for a new/upgrade phone like how it was before MSV was introduced, then don't go with MSV...although there may come a time where carriers may eliminate subsidized pricing for phone upgrades entirely, thus rendering the argument as to whether MSV is a "scam" moot.

Message 212 of 574 (1,497 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Family plan is not as advertised.

Bottom line is - you need to figure out which way costs you the least and you need to know how each works and the costs difference between subsidized pricing and the plan line increase, or the cost of the NEXT plan and savings per month by not having the plan increase.
Everyone is thinking that you get the cheaper pricing AND subsidized phones. That is not the case. You ONLY get the $15 per line charge IF you phone is out of contract, and you DO NOT get a subsidized phone. You need to pay full price up front or pay with the next plan over the 20 to 26 months that you determine.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 213 of 574 (1,491 Views)
Contributor

Value Share Plan

Value Share Plan was not explained that each line cost would go up when you upgraded your devices. We were 2 months from our 2 year fullfilment on upgrades when I switched to the Share Plan. Now my monthly cost will go up significantly to upgrade our 2 year old phones. We have been with At&T since 2001--Cingular prior to that. Disappointing "policy decisions"--but our contract is up so we can shop the other providers. Beware of speaking to customer service reps--they have neglected to explain the fine print in the "Value" plan.

Message 214 of 574 (1,547 Views)
Professor

Re: Value Share Plan

The service cost for each line won't go up if you bring your own devices or use Next to buy your next phones.  All of this is explained in writing where ever the Mobile Share Value plan is mentioned, whether it's the website or an in-store brochure.

Message 215 of 574 (1,534 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Value Share Plan

I presume you have not upgraded your devices since you said your contract is almost up. As 21st said, your service costs only go up if you upgrade at the 2 year contract subsidized cost. Your costs don't go up if you pay full price for the new phones, either up front or via the Next program or bring your own phone (i.e. buy the new phones elsewhere but not subsidized by AT&T).

Should you decide to go looking at other providers, you are going to find the same thing. All of the carriers are trying to get out of the phone subsidy business and paying full price for your phone is becoming the norm. Some carriers don't even offer the 2 year contract subsidized price any more.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 216 of 574 (1,506 Views)
Contributor

disappointment over Mobile Share plan

I am very disappointed to find that the Mobile Share plan cost will increase by $25 per month for each phone line that I may upgrade not using the Next plan. This problem was NOT explained to me, when I switched from the former plan.

It is notable that when upgrades occur, the cost of my plan will INCREASE by $100 per month.

At that point, the plan will no longer be competitive with other brands.

How many of you are aware of this problem?

How many customers will AT&T lose, when people find their cost INCREASES so much?

Wow!

Message 217 of 574 (1,582 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: disappointment over Mobile Share plan

If you do not utilize the the 2 year upgrade option, your plan cost will remain the same, so no worries about costs going up! =)

To keep the pricing via upgrading, you can upgrade with AT&T Next and the line access would remain at $15. You can also purchase the device at the no commitment pricing and keep the same price as well.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 218 of 574 (1,572 Views)
ACE - Master

lmkatz wrote:

I am very disappointed to find that the Mobile Share plan cost will increase by $25 per month for each phone line that I may upgrade not using the Next plan. This problem was NOT explained to me, when I switched from the former plan.

It is notable that when upgrades occur, the cost of my plan will INCREASE by $100 per month.

At that point, the plan will no longer be competitive with other brands.

How many of you are aware of this problem?

How many customers will AT&T lose, when people find their cost INCREASES so much?

Wow!

You end up paying for the phone one way or another.

* You stay on a grandfathers Family plan, and you pay extra money each month for contract subsidy built into the plan (whether or not you are on a contract any longer).  This option assumes you're already on one of these plans as they are grandfathered and no longer available.

* You pay an extra $15/month or $25/month (depnding upon your service plan) when you have a Mobile Share plan and you upgrade with a contract subsidized phone.

* You don't increase your monthly fees, but you purchase your phone off-contract or from a third party and pay the full $500-1000 for your phone (depending upon which phone you buy and where you buy it).

The difference is now, the amount you pay for the phone is more visible to you as you will see a change in your monthly bill between the off-contract price and the contract-subsidized price.  With the older fsmily plans you discuss, you are paying that amount burried in your monthly service charges and you pay it even if you have met your contract and not upgraded to a new phone.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 219 of 574 (1,558 Views)
Employee

Most brands that you're speaking off, sell the phones full price, or give you the option to pay over time,

If you're comparing apples to apple, so to speak, Some of the smaller companies have better pricing than AT&T, but you get what you pay for, generally between speeds or coverage.

If that company offers good service in your area, if you're happy with the speeds, and if you're not picky about other areas, then it genuinely will be a better deal.

That's lot of 'ifs'. Since network maintenance follows a low exponential growth, based on size, the smaller they are the more than can save you, usually

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 220 of 574 (1,533 Views)
Professor

I was aware of it.  It is clearly explained on the website.

Message 221 of 574 (1,519 Views)
Contributor

I have spoken with others to whom these factors were not explained. I think it's a gimmick! and a ingenuous.
Message 222 of 574 (1,477 Views)
ACE - Master

lmkatz wrote:
I have spoken with others to whom these factors were not explained. I think it's a gimmick! and a ingenuous.

I admit that when I first heard of these plans I walked into my local AT&T store and the clerk there didn't even understand them, but that was only 2-3 days after they were announced.  My wife & I spent 45 minutes in the store talking to the rep and she kept telling me that we weren't eligible for the $25/month discount even though the AT&T website indicated that we were.  That was an honest mistake made because the girl hadn't learned the nuiances of the new plans by the 2nd day they were available.

I still spoke with the girl about something else and after we left, my wife was furious because she swore to me that the girl in the store told us that we were late in our payments, even though we were fully paid and had no balance due at the time.  While it was a little vague, because the girl was using the term "arrears" she was actually talking about an internal term for pre-paid/post-paid service plans.  Our AT&T accounts had been around for so long, they were on an old billing system and she couldn't make the adjustments we were requesting because of that (and her being far too literal in what we had asked to be changed).  My point here is that my wife heard the clerk say one thing, when in fact the clerk had not said that at all.  It is quite possible that the people you have spoken with were so excited about getting a new "toy", or "saving money" that they didn't listen to when they were told and they only heard what they thought should have been said to them.  This is all too easy to happen.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 223 of 574 (1,467 Views)
Expert

lmkatz wrote:

they are explained - on the tv commercials there is a footnote, on the web pages there is a chart showing exactly what you pay. People have been yelling for lower prices for service when they own their own device, now they are getting them and the now the people that are yelling are the ones that want both - lower service cost and the carrier footing the majority of the cost of a new phone. Note the pricing structure that is explained on the web site, not much of a gimmeck if it is spelled out to the savy consumer

Message 224 of 574 (1,465 Views)
Scholar

How is it that some people apparently either can't figure out how to do some online research on AT&T's website, or can't be bothered to do any research that doesn't require some company representative having to explain the details in person?

What I find a bit ironic is some of these people insinuating that they couldn't find any such info (online) about how the MSV plans work when it comes to phone upgrade pricing...yet they managed to find this online forum to complain about how they were duped/misled/etc.  Next thing you know, these people will claim that the info folks like wingrider posted in this thread wasn't there previously when they tried to look for it on AT&T's website...or other lame excuses like they can't read the fine print that scrolls by or flashes quickly during those AT&T TV commercials.

Message 225 of 574 (1,385 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.