Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I (Vicki ***) contacted AT&T about the $160 4 lines, unlimited text, unlimited talk, 10 GB since were paying this amount for 2 lines and 4GB of data. The agent said my husband's (Carl ***)plan - acct#***- was eligible for the upgrade and proceeded to walk me through the process. He advised that the best way to do this was to create a new group with the 10 GB plan, then when the phones came in I was to call and make sure they switch the 2 existing phones to that plan. On 7/27, after receiving the 2 phones that I picked from the website because they were listed as free with a 2 year contract and the agent confirmed this was a website "deal", I called and asked the two existing phones to be switched. I asked the agent if the bill would be $160 going forward and stated that it should be, not including taxes and fees. I got my first bill after the new plan was put in place, but I already sent in 160.52 based on my previous bill. When I called to ask what was the reason for the $299 bill, the agent explained my bill was incorrect, made the credit adjustments and stated that I still owed 97.62 for the remaining prorated amount. After I paid that she assured me that my future bills would reflect the $160.00 plus taxes and fees. I got my second bill since the plan change and bill came out to $296.24, when I called this time, the agent told me that my phones on the 4GB plan were not eligible for the discount to make the bill $160 plus taxes and fees. That those phones preceded the date for this plan. (I verified when I first ask to upgrade to the 10 GB plan that the phones were eligible and was told they were.) I believe the agents I dealt with were deceptive to get me on the 10 GB plan, based on the way they asked me to set up the 2 new phones and even though I was assured time and time again that my bill would be $160 plus taxes and fees, that was not the case. I believe that the representatives of this company are not transparent and clear about what future billing amounts are leaving customers at their mercy to where they stuck with whatever they come up with later., They refuse to honor assurances they provided over the phone. Their phone conversations are recorded, so I hope that someone will take the time to review my phone conversations over this matter and stop them from continue to practice business in this manner. To make matters worse because I can't return the 2 new phones, they would only suspend them for 6 months and stated they can put my 2 other phones back on the 4GB plan. All this means is I am paying the equivalent of 2 4GB plans.

[Edited for privacy.]

Scholar

• 

124 Messages

10 years ago

@kahn123 wrote:

I (Vicki ***) contacted AT&T about the $160 4 lines, unlimited text, unlimited talk, 10 GB since were paying this amount for 2 lines and 4GB of data. The agent said my husband's (Carl ***)plan - acct#***- was eligible for the upgrade and proceeded to walk me through the process. He advised that the best way to do this was to create a new group with the 10 GB plan, then when the phones came in I was to call and make sure they switch the 2 existing phones to that plan. On 7/27, after receiving the 2 phones that I picked from the website because they were listed as free with a 2 year contract and the agent confirmed this was a website "deal", I called and asked the two existing phones to be switched. I asked the agent if the bill would be $160 going forward and stated that it should be, not including taxes and fees. I got my first bill after the new plan was put in place, but I already sent in 160.52 based on my previous bill. When I called to ask what was the reason for the $299 bill, the agent explained my bill was incorrect, made the credit adjustments and stated that I still owed 97.62 for the remaining prorated amount. After I paid that she assured me that my future bills would reflect the $160.00 plus taxes and fees. I got my second bill since the plan change and bill came out to $296.24, when I called this time, the agent told me that my phones on the 4GB plan were not eligible for the discount to make the bill $160 plus taxes and fees. That those phones preceded the date for this plan. (I verified when I first ask to upgrade to the 10 GB plan that the phones were eligible and was told they were.) I believe the agents I dealt with were deceptive to get me on the 10 GB plan, based on the way they asked me to set up the 2 new phones and even though I was assured time and time again that my bill would be $160 plus taxes and fees, that was not the case. I believe that the representatives of this company are not transparent and clear about what future billing amounts are leaving customers at their mercy to where they stuck with whatever they come up with later., They refuse to honor assurances they provided over the phone. Their phone conversations are recorded, so I hope that someone will take the time to review my phone conversations over this matter and stop them from continue to practice business in this manner. To make matters worse because I can't return the 2 new phones, they would only suspend them for 6 months and stated they can put my 2 other phones back on the 4GB plan. All this means is I am paying the equivalent of 2 4GB plans.

[Edited for privacy.]

It would have been $160 if you didn't get subsidized phones. It sounds like you are on the mobile share plan and when you get subsidized phones (between $0 to $200), you lose your line discounts, because the mobile share plan is NOT a 2 year contract, it's a no contract plan. Now if you were to get phones using NEXT, you would have kept the line discounts, but you would have had to pay installment payments for the phones each month. With the 10GB mobile share plan, each of your lines are $15 instead of $40, but like I said, since you thought it was a 2 year contract, you went with the discounted phones and now you are paying $40 a line again.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi,

I had ordered Iphone 6 plus on the first day of pre-order, but then got to know that the 25 usd discount that i receive for 10GB shared data plan is being taken off for a 2 year contract.  (i am eligible for phone upgrade since my existing contract is over)

So i have to pay 600 usd more (25x24months) to get iphone 6.

Did anyone face such issue?  Is it possible to keep my existing billing amount and upgrade to iphone6 ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Anmol

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, don't sign a new service contract and pay the full price for the phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@anmol.kamble wrote:

Hi,

I had ordered Iphone 6 plus on the first day of pre-order, but then got to know that the 25 usd discount that i receive for 10GB shared data plan is being taken off for a 2 year contract.  (i am eligible for phone upgrade since my existing contract is over)

So i have to pay 600 usd more (25x24months) to get iphone 6.

Did anyone face such issue?  Is it possible to keep my existing billing amount and upgrade to iphone6 ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Anmol

The $25 discount you get on mobile share is for not being under contract. By buying the iphone 6 at the 2 year contract price and starting a new 2 year contract, you lose the discount for the length of that contract. However, if you pay full price for the iphone, either up front or via the Next program, you keep the $25 discount. 

As you have figured out, losing the $25 discount for 2 years costs you $600. You also have to pay a $40 upgrade fee, so effectively the price of that iphone is whatever you are paying up front ($199, $299, or $399)  + $600 + $40. If you buy the phone via Next, there is no upgrade fee, you just pay for the full price of the phone in 20 or 24 monthly payments. Do the math and you will see paying full price actually costs less in your case. If at all possible, you should switch to the Next plan.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I am a long time customer of AT&T. I called AT&T before I do the upgade. I was told that three of my lines are eligible for the free upgade. I specifically asked if my bill remained the same and I was told it was.

Then today I found out that I have to pay extra $25 for each line. This is insane. AT&T thinks its customers are stupid. Why would anyone upgrade the phone ($199+$40 initial and $25 more every month?)  I am much better to buy the phones at full price.

I am also thinking to switch to another carrier.

I am very disappointed with AT&T gimicks!  It shall be illegal.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

On the new Mobile Shared Data Plans, if you have the larger data package, it is cheaper to buy using NEXT. You keep the $25 discount, but pay full price for the phone over 20 to 24 months, depending on the plan you choose.

AT&T and most of the other providers are no longer subsidizing phones. One way or another, you are going to pay for the phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Most of ATT's employees and their website have simply become deceptive.  They have purposely designed their site to confuse and rip off people.  We were forced to change from an Unlimited to 3-lines/$145 for 10GB plan without any clarification on $25 add-on for upgrading.  So our cost per month doubled!  Upgrade fee is another ripp-off.

I plan to move off ATT ASAP after being with them for last 6 years!

Participant

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I was content with my service for the last 6 years or so.

The most recent plan, the Mobile Share Value Plan allowed us to share 10GB, for $100 per month, plus "access fees" per device. We have 2 smartphones ($40.00 less $25.00 discount) and 1 basic phone for $15 per line and one iPad for $10. That is an additional $55 per month.

If I upgrade one of my lines and take out a new 2 year contract, I'll have to pay $40 access fee, in other words, I'll lose my $25 discount. Will I lose the $25 discount only on the line that I'm upgrading, or all three phone lines (which would be an additional $75 per month). Does anybody see another way around this or should I search for another service provider?

I'm really frustrated at this point and I realize that it doesn't pay to be loyal. How am I rewarded by signing a new 2-year contract after paying at $40.00 upgrade fee? By having to pay $15 more for the upgraded line which equals $300 over one year, or $600 over the life of the 2-year contract.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

As a long time At&t customer I actually appreciate the Mobile Share Value plan. When switching to MSV 10gb from my old family talk plan I saved more than 100$ a month and got more data without having all of those add on charges for texting and limited talk time. What I understand now is no matter the plan I was on I was still paying retail value for a phone it was just a matter of how it was listed on my bill. (Eg: Plan or device cost/Next) Only difference between the older plans and the new plans? On the older plans I was making up the discounted price of a phone (2 year contract price) no matter the extent of time I had the phone. Due to the plan rates being higher. Now if I choose to do a two year contract (Which I won't because it's more expensive than next over 2 years) at least I know that after that 2 years is up and my contract ends I will start getting the 25$ credit again as my subsidized price is now fulfilled to the retail value and I no longer have to make up that subsidized price on my rate plan. Now I can actually see what I'm paying for and have the option to spend more money upfront and over the course of two years with a contract or less upfront and add device value in installments to my bill and still come out cheaper.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.