For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I need to keep the 15GB because thats what we had before we switched to the new plan. If we do the ATT next, we will beable to keep the $15 per line? $15 per line plus upgrade ATT next depending on phone right? Say iPhone 5S is $27.08, that would be $15 plus $27.08 for 24 months (we always want to own the phone after throwing away money)? So technically its cheaper right since we won't have to pay activation fee?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

When I went to the AT&T store to get a number changed the girl working their talked me right into getting the 10G plan. I had never heard of it. She told me with the company discount the plan would cost $145. per month total plus taxes thats it. I can have up to 4 smart phones on it and we would all share the 10G. Granted at that time I had two smart phones and one basic phone. I asked the woman who I am told has worked their for years repeated over and over because I asked her over and over that I would only pay $145. OK now my bill is $242. per month and of course down at the store they are saying they would never say that. LIE LIE LIE. I am an honest business man and I guess just a little on the stupid side for actually believing that an AT&T employee would actually tell me the truth. I called AT&T to complain and the woman I spoke with told me she is getting hundreds of calls with the same complaint that AT&T employee's are lying to get people signed up but that I screwed and their is nothing she could do to help me. she said AT&T knows what they are putting out but won't change it because most people don't find out until AFTER AFTER AFTER and let me re-iterate AFTER the 14 day grace period is up. when my contracts are up I'm leaving AT&T after 11 years of being a loyal and paying customer.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

@erickrenzo1229 wrote:

I don't know where you live....but T-Mobile is great in my area.  I already used their 7 day tryout.  I would not move anywhere if I was not sure.

Everyone has their case of where they can go.  I go where the plan is cheapest.

Currently: 4 X$160

2 new iphones...($200 each out of my pocket in Sept) - My bill is now $210 for 4 lines. ($25 more per line becasue I decided to upgrade. $35 or more if I choose the "Next plan...NOPE!)

T-Mobile:

4 lines $120 (2 with 3GB...2 with 1GB).

2 new iphones...($200 each out of my pocket in Sept) - My bill is now $160 ($120 service + $20 iphone 1 + $20 iphone 2)

I like saving $50/month.  I would even go to Sprint if the price was the same.

But eveyone has their own budgets and cirmustances. 

In the end....subsidicing your lines...or paying intallment prices......it all depends on who charges the least for service...and that is T-Mobile.  NO DOUBT.

Come to central IL and most of the midwest.  If you dont live in a big city and are in a rural area Tmobile is edge only.  Use zipcode 61821 which is champaign IL.  go bigger and tell me how there coverage is.  They have more holes than I can count

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

@erickrenzo1229 wrote:

I don't know where you live....but T-Mobile is great in my area.  I already used their 7 day tryout.  I would not move anywhere if I was not sure.

Everyone has their case of where they can go.  I go where the plan is cheapest.

Currently: 4 X$160

2 new iphones...($200 each out of my pocket in Sept) - My bill is now $210 for 4 lines. ($25 more per line becasue I decided to upgrade. $35 or more if I choose the "Next plan...NOPE!)

T-Mobile:

4 lines $120 (2 with 3GB...2 with 1GB).

2 new iphones...($200 each out of my pocket in Sept) - My bill is now $160 ($120 service + $20 iphone 1 + $20 iphone 2)

I like saving $50/month.  I would even go to Sprint if the price was the same.

But eveyone has their own budgets and cirmustances. 

In the end....subsidicing your lines...or paying intallment prices......it all depends on who charges the least for service...and that is T-Mobile.  NO DOUBT.

you also never took into consideration the fact that if you dont get Iphones then you can save even more money.  I have unlocked devices on my account because I can get them cheap.  Wife has an unlocked m8 that I payed only 359 for.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

That is what I thought and added a new line I have 3 lines and pay 196.00 monthy instead of the 160.00 and by the way its not including tax. nice way to get people to switch carriers. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Not one rep told me until TODAY when you upgrade a line on the new family 10g plan, which I was ENCOURAGED to convert to on Feb 10th to SAVE $$, your rate goes up $25! So much for saving and honest business practice. Why is that? It certainly doesn't cost Att any more, it's how they make $$, praying on unsuspecting loyal consumers. You should be ASHAMED att horrible business practice!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Art8y44 wrote:
Not one rep told me until TODAY when you upgrade a line on the new family 10g plan, which I was ENCOURAGED to convert to on Feb 10th to SAVE $$, your rate goes up $25! So much for saving and honest business practice. Why is that? It certainly doesn't cost Att any more, it's how they make $$, praying on unsuspecting loyal consumers. You should be ASHAMED att horrible business practice!

Shame on you for not reading and fully understanding the new package you converted to back in February.  Shame on you for not reading your montholy bills and understanding them since Feb as well.  The details which you mention above, are all documented in the plan details, and in your monthly bills.

Your monthly bills for your plan indicate a line item for a $25/month discount for each phone that was off contract, or under a promotional agreement to get the off-contract discount if they were under contract prior to Feb 2014.  WHen you upgraded your phone and got a contract subsidized phone, you lost that $25 discount on that phone.  It was documented in the plan agreement you agreed to, as well as in the monthly bills.  This has even been in the forums here ever since March, as well as on the tech news and other forums, so shame on you for ignoring all the opportunities to learn what you should have before now.

When a customer signs a contract and gets a disount on a cell phone, they are paying for that discount somewhere.  In the past, AT&T used to "hide" that cost in your monthly service charges and if you happened to compelte your contract and continue on month-to-month without signing a new contract, well, you kept paying for that phone subsidy which you had already paid off.  In Feb of this year, AT&T decided to be more open about this, and started offing the $25/phone discount for users who had the 10GB or higher data plan and were out of contract.  As a deal to current customers who may have paid extra by not getting a discount after their contract was up, AT&T offered existing customers that same discount as off-contract customers as a promotional deal if your contract started on 2/1/2014 or before.  All in all, I would say that what AT&T has done has been more open about how they are charging customers than to try to hide charges from teh customers.  Many customers have not tried to understand this openness and just make many unvalid assumptions, and then get upset when they learn that their assumptions are incorrect even though they had many opportunities to understand the proper circumstances.

If you want to leave AT&T for them being open about their billing, and your making invalid assumptions, them by all means, please do so.  I hope that you will find another cellular provider who meets your expectations about all of their charges and fees.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I think ATT has just driven me to another company. Sorry for the rant but I just want to keep people aware of how ATT mislead me. We had the family mobile share plan with 10gb data for our three smartphones. I found out tonight that if you upgrade with a two year contract the plan is no longer available. My new bill was $40 higher on top of the $40 upgrade fee just because I upgraded with a two year contract. My bill went from around $140 to $225 this month.

So be aware if you are on this plan you can only buy a phone outright or use the next plan to upgrade in order to keep the family mobile share plan. This is just plain stupid and will probably switch service when my other two phone's contracts are up.

You would think ATT would want to keep me another two years but would rather rip me off with the next plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Don't you understand what out of contract means? It is a big part of the requirements for the mobile share plan.

For you to get that pricing, your phone lines need to be out of contract. Once you get a new contract, you lose the $25 discount for any line that you put under a contract.

One way or another, you are going to pay for the phone, either by paying full price for the phone under NEXT over 20 - 26 months, by getting a subsidized phone and losing the $25 discount, or by paying full price for a phone up front.

You need to understand the terms of the agreement that you agreed to when you signed for the mobile share.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I, too was misled. I am a very detail-oriented engineer and I called twice to get this right--just for a second opinion. I also read all the small print available on the ATT site. I was promised by two tech support agents that I would NEVER...both agents repeated this...NEVER have my rates changed. Even when my wife and I upgraded phones, our $25/mo rate would never change unless we changed something. That's three sources: 1) agent #1, 2) agent #2, and 3) the small print on the web site and order process. All of these sources bore false information which resulted in me being a marketing agent for ATT, I was so excited. I thought ATT was the best company ever, and now I've been lied to. If any ATT agent or executive reads my post, I can easily be made a life-time ATT prime marketer if you simply reverse this lie and return me to the plan I was promised. I would never have switched from my stone-age plan if this had not been offered to me. Thank you for (hopefully) listening to your loyal customers. I've been a customer as long as I've owned a cell phone (12 years), and I've convinced both my and my wife's family (8 people) to join ATT from their service providers as well as many friends over the years.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.