Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I for one couldn't be happier with the new pricing structure.  It's gives me the choice to buy unlocked phones and saves me $25/line for staying off-contract.  If I end up buying an unsubsized flagship phone, the overall cost pretty much works out the same as being on-contract.  $25/mo line savings equates to $600, which is not coincidentally the cost of most flagship smartphones.  Of course, when you buy on-contract you normally are paying $200 up front, so you are still saving appx $200 over the life of the 2-year term.

What REALLY makes the new pricing structure worthwhile is if you buy less expensive phones like the Moto X, Moto G, or Nexus 5.   For example, I bought a Nexus 5 for $350 and a Moto G with LTE for my daughter for $230.   We both save $25/line, so over the long term, we are saving several HUNDRED dollars by removing the built-in subsidy that contracts include.

Should they be making this more clear and warn customers instead of making it seem like just a price drop?  Yes, they should.  But for the savy customer, the new pricing structure can actually save you significantly.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

This is the most valuable contribution to this very long conversation so far. Thanks for the suggestions of other phones!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

amazing part is b4 i would renew my 4 lines for 800$ to get 4 new phones and pay 250 a month and now i pay 160$ for the phone (axes) and pay 390 a month how is this even cheaper its not just shady its an outright lie a froud and a rip off and now they tell me i cant go back to my orriginal plan of course not because they also didnt tell me that after 14 days i cant go back

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

its a rip off dont sit there and lie to people

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

@yesiel1 wrote:

amazing part is b4 i would renew my 4 lines for 800$ to get 4 new phones and pay 250 a month and now i pay 160$ for the phone (axes) and pay 390 a month how is this even cheaper its not just shady its an outright lie a froud and a rip off and now they tell me i cant go back to my orriginal plan of course not because they also didnt tell me that after 14 days i cant go back

In the long run, it may be cheaper, unless you upgrade phones whenever you are eligible. Once the phone is paid for, you no longer pay for it and then pay only $160 per month (plus taxes). 

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

10 years ago

This is ATT's new marketing technique. It is easier to say "Sorry" after they have snookered you into their $160/month plan. Anything for a buck.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

10 years ago

I made the mistake of trusting AT&T. Ive been with them for over 10 years. Ive always veen able to trust them. 

That trust is now gone. My entire family will be shifting out of ATT in the near future.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

As I stated in my previous post though, the primary issue myself and I think many others are having is that when we asked an AT&T representative either through a 3rd party reseller or or through AT&T's customer service about the pricing, we were flat out lied to.

That is the deception. That is why we are angry. But I don't blame them. I blame myself for not reading the fine print and signing into a contract without knowing all the details, despite my long history with AT&T and no precedent for this being set prior.

Had I known my bill would increase $25 for each line, I would have happily have done the NEXT program, as I do like to upgrade frequently. I don't have that option at this point as I just signed new 2 year contracts for 2 lines.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

We signed up for the 10 gb plan for just my husband and I, it was 125 a month with a military discount. I called and was told by upgrading after two years of waiting that it would indeed not affect the price of my plan. Made sure again at best buy before doing so. Well, now I have a bill of $155 and if my husband upgrades it goes up to about 180. We were blatantly lied to. AT&T managers have told us that this is an ongoing problem and they realize people are being lied to when they are upgrading. It's very shady. I think we are going to pay the fee and cancel my one year and eleven month contract and go elsewhere.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.