Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Teacher

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Message 1 of 574
Mentor

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

Bull. Once you upgrade a phone they charge you $25/month more. It just happened to me.

Message 286 of 574
Teacher

Re: $160/month plan is deceiving at best

We Americans are not used to the unsubsidized model, so the carriers need to do a better job making it clear how it works.  On the other hand, just a tiny bit of research goes a long way.  It's not hard to understand, and they make it pretty clear on the website.  Should the salespeople and CSR's do a better job of warning customers who upgrade?  Yes they should.

It basicaly works out nearly the same either way.  You either pay less per month on your phone bill and buy you phones at full price (or using the Next program).OR you buy your phone with a subsidy built into the monthly payment.   The "upgrade" you say you were eligible for is a subsidized upgrade.  You can "upgrade" at any time at full retail price and your montly payment will stay the same.  But if you upgrade and take advantage of the subsidized price, then you pay more per month.   Like most carriers in other parts of the world, they are decoupling the subsidy from the montly payment for those who either want to bring their own phones or those who want full control of their phone purchases.

Here's an example:

Say I want a new phone that costs $600 at full retail price.  Over a 24 month period, that is how much?  $25/mo.  How much of a discount are you getting on each line if you bring your own phone or stay off-contract?  $25/mo.   Get it?   So you either 1) pay less per month and buy your own phone, or 2) pay $25/mo more and get a subsidy.   But wait a minute, there's still a catch!   You still normally have to pay $200 when you upgrade for most premium phones.  So if you buy a subsidized phone, you are basically givng the carrier extra money that you could save if you bought your phone yourself. 

Now let me tell you how you can actually make this worthwhile.   I bought a Nexus 5 for $350 off contract.  So I save the $25/mo subsidy price AND I'm paying less than $600 for my phone.  So I just saved myself a lot of money.  You could do the same with some other great phones like the Moto X.  The only way a subsidized phone makes sense (going on contract for 2 years) is if you buy the most expensive phone and upgrade immediately when your 2 years is up.   And even then, the carrier is making extra money off of you for the privilege of letting you "upgrade" and sign on for 2 more years.  No thanks!  I'll stay off contract and buy my own phones.

If you REALLY want to go cheap, then go prepaid.  For example, you can get a 5GB data plan on the new Cricket for $55/mo with unlimited calls/text.   Yes, you have to bring your own phone or buy one at full retail.  But this is still much cheaper than you can do on post-paid, even off contract.

Once you understand how the different models work, it makes more sense.  We still have a long ways to go because our data caps are still too low and prices are still too high compared to many European countries.  But it's a start.  And we have T-Mobile and prepaid options to thank for the breaking up of this subsidized model.

Be angry that they didn't tell you exactly how it works.  But also educate yourself before you make ANY changes to your service or phone.

Message 287 of 574
Highlighted
Employee

Hi Johncoby, 

When you change your plan, you are provided a copy of what is known as a Customer Service Summary (CSS). If you changed your plan in a Retail store, a copy would have been provided in a paper form as well as emailed. If you changed via Customer Care, it would have been emailed. On the front page of the document describes the discounted rate as well as breaks down line by line what your charges will be, including the information about options for upgrading later on down the road.

You can recieve a copy of this by visiting an AT&T Company Owned store or Customer Care can email you a copy of it. 

You would have also received a copy of the CSS when you bought you new iPhone 5S if you upgraded after changing your plan, which would have also outlined the changes to the plan as well. 

In most cases if you break down the cost of what you were paying before vs. now you are most likey still saving money. Also don't forget we offer company discounts which may also reduce your bill even more. 

Hope this helps

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 288 of 574
ACE - Master

johncoby wrote:

Bull. Once you upgrade a phone they charge you $25/month more. It just happened to me.

They are not charging you more, they are just no longing giving you a discount for not having a contract subsidized phone.  If you look at your bill from prior ro your upgrade you will see a line item that indicates it is a discount for "out of contract".  When you signed a new service contract, you are no longer out of contract, and they stiopped giving you that discount.  It is all posted on the AT&T web site, and TV commercials, as well as clearly listed on your monthly phone bill.  They are not charging you more, they just aren't giving you a discount any longer.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 289 of 574
Teacher

Despite everything being made clear in the paperwork, the salespeople and CSR's need to do a better job of making this clear to customers *before* they complete their upgrades, especially since this is a major change from the past.
Message 290 of 574
Mentor

Re: Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

No matter what kind of a spin you guys try to put on this, AT&T is losing the consumer's good will and that is a commodity more valuable than phone upgrades.

Message 291 of 574
Mentor

Actually, it doesn't help at all. The CSS is emailed to you AFTER the damage is already done and there is no going back. The fact remains that I asked the rep at least a dozen times to make sure the plan was not going to end up costing me more. Every time they assured me that I was getting ALL the facts. Never once did they mention that my per-line price would go to $40 if I upgraded. (I had two phones eligible for upgrade at the time.)

No matter what kind of a spin you guys try to put on this, AT&T is losing the consumer's good will and that is a commodity more valuable than phone upgrades.

Message 292 of 574
Mentor

I kept asking the sales rep "What is the gimmick?" and was told over and over again there was no gimmick. That was total bunk. I'm contacting my local TV station in Houston. ATT should be up front with this. It should be very clear. There should be absolutely no surprises when it comes to this $160/month plan.

As for me, we will be migrating away from ATT completely. Uverse included. They are just too dishonest to be giving them my money. 

Message 293 of 574
Mentor

"They are not charging you more. You are just paying more!"

Right. This is deception at its best.

Message 294 of 574
Mentor

When I upgraded I asked repeatedly "What is the gimmick?" and I was assured there were no gimmicks. It was just like what I have been used to with ATT for over a decade.

This is a gimmick. It is deception. It is below ATT.

Message 295 of 574
Scholar

Re: Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

dagootee wrote:

Yes I fell for the same scam!!!!!  ATT is full of crap.  Dishonest advertising and sales people.  I was told 3 phones on a shared data plan for $145.  Because one of the phones was a recently upgraded my shared data plan is actually $170 per month.  Seriously?  I was never told anything about a different price for a recently upgraded phone (which was done before my conversation with ATT about this shared plan) .

When you say that one of your phones was "recently upgraded"--was that done before or after you had (planned to) switch over to MSV?  If before (but after the grace cutoff date for those who were under contract to still qualify for the $25 line discount), then clearly the rep should have told you that one of your lines would not qualify for the $15 line price while going over the MSV pricing as it applies to your account.

Message 296 of 574
Contributor

Mobile Share "No-Value" Plan

May 13, 2016 is the date i will be dropping AT&T due to poor business practices.

I signed up for the "awesome" value plan, to find out the hard way that as soon as you upgrade one of your phones, the $25 monthly discount is pulled out from under you for that line. What kind of service is that? Beyond pathetic. I've been a loyal customer since the "brick" cell phone, and this is how they treat me.

Looking to see if Sprint or any other carriers are willing to pay for the $773 cancellation charges to switch.

I will also be dropping UVerse, I don't want to support AT&T in any way, shape or form. Shame on you AT&T!!

Message 297 of 574
Master

Re: Mobile Share "No-Value" Plan

mdgelfond wrote:

May 13, 2016 is the date i will be dropping AT&T due to poor business practices.

I signed up for the "awesome" value plan, to find out the hard way that as soon as you upgrade one of your phones, the $25 monthly discount is pulled out from under you for that line. What kind of service is that? Beyond pathetic. I've been a loyal customer since the "brick" cell phone, and this is how they treat me.

Looking to see if Sprint or any other carriers are willing to pay for the $773 cancellation charges to switch.

I will also be dropping UVerse, I don't want to support AT&T in any way, shape or form. Shame on you AT&T!!

This is not the value plan persee but the "Next" feature to upgrade your devices.  It sounds great but running the numbers does show that total cost of ownership can be more expensive with this option unless you upgrade frequently.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 298 of 574
ACE - Professor

mdgelfond wrote:

In the terms and conditions, AT&T clearly states, "To keep discounted pricing while upgrading to a new phone, you must purchase via AT&T Next, purchase at full price, or bring your own phone." Should a rep have mentioned this as well. I think so. Does it mean AT&T has bad business practices if they didn't? Nope.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 299 of 574
Community Manager

Hello, mdgelfond!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about the confusion surrounding the Next upgrade. We would be happy to review your account and explore some alternatives, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 300 of 574
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support