Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@libralibra wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@Jfraunberger wrote:

It clearly states 10gb 4phones$100 and$15/line up to ten lines. But be careful if you upgrade a phone. They will charge $40 for the new line. Very deceptive 

How exactly is this "deceptive", it clearly states "No annual service contract", RIF

0_MS_40.PNG

Everybody is saying to read the fine print, but the **** footnote might be what is misleading everybody.  It uses the phrase "as of" in a weird way (imo).  "as of" usually means "beginning on", e.g "as of 3/18/14, the rate will be $15".  So anyone signing up today for a 2 yr agreement would obviously assume he'd pay $15 since it is after 2/1/14.

seems very simple and straight forward, if you as the 2 year agreement AS OF 3/8/14 not AFTER 3/8/14. Text book definitions (sorry just saw that the date changed from the original web page). Straight line logic, everyone has been screaming for a cost reduction IF they had their own devices free and clear or paid full price for them, now people are screaming that they deserve the reduced service cost even with a att subsidizing 400 or more dollars on a device. Can't have your cake and eat it to. Sorry as to me and a english teacher that I date - as of indicates that the agreement had to be in effect prior to the date. Want a upgrade and the discounted rate, pay full retail for the phone via the Next agreement.

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

It IS deceptive becuase when you're on the phone with the rep, you're trusing them to tell you the truth. They're lying and unless you go look for additional info on the web site, you'll get ripped off.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@rickmagley wrote:

It IS deceptive becuase when you're on the phone with the rep, you're trusing them to tell you the truth. They're lying and unless you go look for additional info on the web site, you'll get ripped off.

You are right in that you should be able to trust that the rep is giving you correct information. Unfortunately, some reps are better at their jobs than others. What you most likely ran into was either a rep who did not understand the pricing themselves or there was bad communication between you and the rep but they weren't purposely lying to you. I guarentee you ATT does not tolerate lying to a customer as that is strictly against the Code of Business Conduct. I realize that doesn't make you fell any less ripped off, though.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@rickmagley wrote:

Guess I just don;t trust anyone, I never take a sales rep's at their word. I spend a week or two researching the information before I make a decision. I am a firm believer in personal research and responsibility. In Dieties we trust, all else pay cash

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

@jane697 wrote:

@libralibra wrote:

Everybody is saying to read the fine print, but the **** footnote might be what is misleading everybody.  It uses the phrase "as of" in a weird way (imo).  "as of" usually means "beginning on", e.g "as of 2/1/14, the rate will be $15".  So anyone signing up today for a 2 yr agreement would obviously assume he'd pay $15 since it is after 2/1/14.

Guess it may take an attorney to determine what the exact meaning of "as of" is--from what I've read, it can mean either "up until" or "starting from/beginning on".  That you used the word "usually" when explaining the meaning of "as of" means pretty much bolsters my comment about the dual meaning of "as of" since the definition of "usually" does not imply "absolutely"...

yeah, lawyers - lol.  that's pretty much my point.  they really blew it by using a term which can mean two completely opposite things, esp in a footnote which is supposed to clear things up, not make it more confusing.  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/as%20of defines it as "used to indicate a time or date at which something begins or ends".   I think the "begins" usage is far more common, but here they are using the "ends" definition, so it's hard to blame people for being upset.

If they had simply said "on 2-yr agreements started before 2/1/14", they could have avoided all this confusion.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Wow. Thats quite a principle to run a business on.

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@rickmagley wrote:

You are right in that you should be able to trust that the rep is giving you correct information. Unfortunately, some reps are better at their jobs than others. What you most likely ran into was either a rep who did not understand the pricing themselves or there was bad communication between you and the rep but they weren't purposely lying to you. I guarentee you ATT does not tolerate lying to a customer as that is strictly against the Code of Business Conduct. I realize that doesn't make you fell any less ripped off, though.

Yes, but ultimately the consumer has the final say as to whether to accept what is being told/explained to him--namely, by signing the contract.  Nobody's putting a gun to the consumers' heads demanding that they sign the contract sight unseen--if consumers can't be bothered to read the contract details...how is that AT&T's problem and/or fault?

Clearly there are plenty of folks out there who either don't believe in personal responsibility or that such applies only to other folks...

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

In my case, I didn't sign a contract. In fact, I was told that NOTHING in my plan was changing. I never saw a contract. My ONLY information came from what the agent told me.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

ALSO BEWARE OF UPGRADING!  I went through the normal upgrade process and was never told that by upgrading and signing a new 2 year agreement it would increase the monthly rate back to $40 per month.  So now I am locked in for an additional 2 years on this phone.  Customer Service at this company is the worst.  I talked to 4 different reps and was told it was "policy".  I do not know why I have been a loyal customer for over 20 years and it has been completley miserable.  I have 5 lines on this account for my family and continue to extend each as they expire, all on different dates, it totally screws up the Value Share. So you pay higher for each line as they renew but are still locked in on the higher price data plan.  I was even charged an upgrade fee and now I cannot cancel this line and was not told it no longer qualified for the Value Share discount.  I will cancel each account as they expire and put them on Verizon.  My business phone is on Verizon and it works much better in my area anyway and much better customer service. 

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, the plan itself isnt bad, but it's a definitly an upset if you didn't know the details about it.

AT&T's just trying give customers the option to go the reduced pricing that places like tmobile or verizon offer now too, where you get no equipment discounts.

You can ask to see if you can go back to your old plans. It's not likely, but it's worth a shot.

You can return your phone, if it's with 14 days. That'll give you a chance to start over, see if the contract pricing or the Next program(no upgrade fee), or the full price is the best option for you.

The mobileshare plans without the discounts aren't meant to be much different in price than mid range familytalk plans, so worst case scenario, you might up back up there.

I don't understand complaints about the upgrade fee. It comes with the contract. It & the contract are optional. . It's been around for years. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Are you posting this after you reviewed the service summary AT&T sends when you upgrade?

And you can always cancel your line. Don't let them fool you into thinking you can't. You might have a fee, but you can do it.

-Alex

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.