Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Actually, it IS fraudulent because the phone representatives do not "clearly state" "OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING." In fact, even when questioned repeatedly they still insist that its not going to increase the price of what I'm paying. If they explained that, do you think all these people would be complaining? I asked the rep at least a dozen times if a replacement phone would increase my bill and he repeatedly insisted it would not. That is fraud!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@rickmagley wrote:
Actually, it IS fraudulent because the phone representatives do not "clearly state" "OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING." In fact, even when questioned repeatedly they still insist that its not going to increase the price of what I'm paying. If they explained that, do you think all these people would be complaining? I asked the rep at least a dozen times if a replacement phone would increase my bill and he repeatedly insisted it would not. That is fraud!

Isn't that the definition of "No annual service contract"? By the way this is also mentioned on the TV commercial, sorry not fraud

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Somewhere, buried in the horrible disorganization that is the AT&T website it may "clearly state" this, but if you're on the phone with a representative, you're trusting them to tell you the truth. They are lying. They lied to me and they apparently are lying to many, many others.

If you have AT&T stock, sell it! With practices like this, they'll eventually go down.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I currently have a total of 5 lines on my 700 minutes family plan, starting 6/2 my plan will be switch over to 10GB mobile shared plan. My questions is will there be any activation fee or any other fees for bringing my 2 own smartphones to the plan? In total on 6/2 I will have a total of 7 lines on the account.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@rickmagley wrote:

Somewhere, buried in the horrible disorganization that is the AT&T website it may "clearly state" this, but if you're on the phone with a representative, you're trusting them to tell you the truth. They are lying. They lied to me and they apparently are lying to many, many others.

If you have AT&T stock, sell it! With practices like this, they'll eventually go down.

that image was from the main site for the mobile value share plan, labeled step 2, right afte step 1 - pick a smartphone, all on the same exact web page display. I will happily keep my ATT stock, is has had a great track record over the year, now with the agreement to purchase driectv waiting  for fcc approval it will only go up, not to mention the profit from the directv stock I own. One other thing, att wireless has had the lowest churn rate of any carrier for multiple years

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@Jfraunberger wrote:

It clearly states 10gb 4phones$100 and$15/line up to ten lines. But be careful if you upgrade a phone. They will charge $40 for the new line. Very deceptive 

How exactly is this "deceptive", it clearly states "No annual service contract", RIF

0_MS_40.PNG

Everybody is saying to read the fine print, but the **** footnote might be what is misleading everybody.  It uses the phrase "as of" in a weird way (imo).  "as of" usually means "beginning on", e.g "as of 2/1/14, the rate will be $15".  So anyone signing up today for a 2 yr agreement would obviously assume he'd pay $15 since it is after 2/1/14.

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

@rickmagley wrote:

So in your case, what someone tells you overrides whatever may be stated on a written (either print or electronic) contract that you sign?  Or to put it another way--do you deal only with verbal contracts?  If someone tells you one thing but the actual contract states something different from what that person told you, and you sign said contract...how exactly would one be able to argue that he/she was misled or deceived?  Oh wait, you people will argue that the contract didn't mention anything that would contradict what the person told you...just like how you folks have been arguing about how there was nothing in the commercials that mentioned how exactly the $15/line rate worked.

If you folks are gonna keep arguing about how the ads and such are so deceptive and/or misleading, then how is it that countless others (like myself) knew exactly what they were signing up for and have had no qualms about how the MSV plans worked, as far as charges are concerned?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Sang169 wrote:

I currently have a total of 5 lines on my 700 minutes family plan, starting 6/2 my plan will be switch over to 10GB mobile shared plan. My questions is will there be any activation fee or any other fees for bringing my 2 own smartphones to the plan? In total on 6/2 I will have a total of 7 lines on the account.

By looking at the AT&T Mobile Share FAQ ( http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=34uVhHKmlFO ) This question is asked and answered.  When you bring your own device, you will be charged a $36/device activation fee.  Other than that, you would pay the additiopnal $15/month per phone to add it to your Mobile Share plan, and if with the additional devices, you go over your 10GB "limit" you will be charged $15/GB for any additional usage above the 10GB included in your plan.

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

@libralibra wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@Jfraunberger wrote:

It clearly states 10gb 4phones$100 and$15/line up to ten lines. But be careful if you upgrade a phone. They will charge $40 for the new line. Very deceptive 

How exactly is this "deceptive", it clearly states "No annual service contract", RIF

0_MS_40.PNG

Everybody is saying to read the fine print, but the **** footnote might be what is misleading everybody.  It uses the phrase "as of" in a weird way (imo).  "as of" usually means "beginning on", e.g "as of 2/1/14, the rate will be $15".  So anyone signing up today for a 2 yr agreement would obviously assume he'd pay $15 since it is after 2/1/14.

Guess it may take an attorney to determine what the exact meaning of "as of" is--from what I've read, it can mean either "up until" or "starting from/beginning on".  That you used the word "usually" when explaining the meaning of "as of" means pretty much bolsters my comment about the dual meaning of "as of" since the definition of "usually" does not imply "absolutely"...

1 Attachment

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@rickmagley wrote:

This is clearly discussed in the Mobile Share Plans FAQ:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=34uVhHKmlFO

Copying directly from the FAQ:

If you want to keep our discounted Mobile Share Value pricing while upgrading to a new phone, you will need to do the following

• Purchase a phone via AT&T NextSM
  • Buy a phone at full cost with no annual service contract, or
  • Activate your own device

If you select a new 2 year agreement on your upgrade, you will no longer be eligible for the discounted pricing.

No. The discounted pricing is not available with a new 2-year agreement. To keep the discounted pricing when you upgrade to a new phone, you must purchase the phone via AT&T NextSM or at full price, or bring your own phone.

No. The discounted pricing is not available with a new 2-year agreement. To keep the discounted pricing when you upgrade to a new phone, you must purchase the phone via AT&T NextSM or at full price, or bring your own phone

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.