For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Correct!!  You have to watch the fine print here-the advertisment is totally misleading.  You may get the $160 for 4 phones but ONLY if you sign up on the NEXT installment plan (more $$$$) when upgrading and have a contract date before March 9th.  The contract date should be determined based upon the ORIGINAL contract date for your account (mine is 1999), so now I have a new contract on one phone and pay twice as much for it as my other phones.  Not a great policy for those of use who have been loyal to AT&T...and anyone else upgrading their phone. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@twecker wrote:

Correct!!  You have to watch the fine print here-the advertisment is totally misleading.  You may get the $160 for 4 phones but ONLY if you sign up on the NEXT installment plan (more $$$$) when upgrading and have a contract date before March 9th.  The contract date should be determined based upon the ORIGINAL contract date for your account (mine is 1999), so now I have a new contract on one phone and pay twice as much for it as my other phones.  Not a great policy for those of use who have been loyal to AT&T...and anyone else upgrading their phone. 

you started a new contract each time you upgrade your phone. You also get the off contract price is you bring your own device.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm discovering the same thing.  I saw the ads on TV in Feb and changed 5 phones plus an IPad to the 10gb per month plan for $100 plus $15 per phone.  I was paying about $280 all in for my unlimited plan previously, so this reduced it to under $200.  One of our lines was ready for an upgrade in April.  I go in and get a new phone from the Microsoft store.  Flash Forward to our May bill.

I was charged a $36 upgrade fee, and the $15 per month went to $40 per month because of the new contract, even though that line is still part of my family value mobil share plan.  Nobody, either on the phone when I switched my plan, or at the Microsoft store, explained this to me.  This is blatant bait and switch.

So once all of my phones hit the the 2 yr upgrade point within the next year, I'll be paying $100 for 10GB, plus $40 x 5 for my phones.  About $340 all in after taxes and fees.  Which is $60 higher than what I already had!  Totally unacceptable.

I'm expecting someone from AT&T to contact me immediately to discuss this.  I already tried on your 800 number.  They just tell me I should have read the fine print.  I see on your website NOW that you disclose this.  In Feb you didn't.

If I don't get offered an acceptable solution, I will be contacting the BBB and the FTC.  What you are doing with this new plan is forcing your long term customers to move to another carrier when it's time to upgrade their phone.  There are better options.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@mfrez wrote:

I'm discovering the same thing.  I saw the ads on TV in Feb and changed 5 phones plus an IPad to the 10gb per month plan for $100 plus $15 per phone.  I was paying about $280 all in for my unlimited plan previously, so this reduced it to under $200.  One of our lines was ready for an upgrade in April.  I go in and get a new phone from the Microsoft store.  Flash Forward to our May bill.

I was charged a $36 upgrade fee, and the $15 per month went to $40 per month because of the new contract, even though that line is still part of my family value mobil share plan.  Nobody, either on the phone when I switched my plan, or at the Microsoft store, explained this to me.  This is blatant bait and switch.

So once all of my phones hit the the 2 yr upgrade point within the next year, I'll be paying $100 for 10GB, plus $40 x 5 for my phones.  About $340 all in after taxes and fees.  Which is $60 higher than what I already had!  Totally unacceptable.

I'm expecting someone from AT&T to contact me immediately to discuss this.  I already tried on your 800 number.  They just tell me I should have read the fine print.  I see on your website NOW that you disclose this.  In Feb you didn't.

If I don't get offered an acceptable solution, I will be contacting the BBB and the FTC.  What you are doing with this new plan is forcing your long term customers to move to another carrier when it's time to upgrade their phone.  There are better options.

this is stated at the end of the tv commercial that for the special price the phone has to be out of countract or upgraded via the next plan, the web site shows the exact same thing.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@mfrez wrote:

First of all, the website absolutely did disclose this in Feb when the new plans were announced. Second, your cost per phone goes up to $40 only if you upgrade at the subsidized 2 year contract price. It stays at $15 if you upgrade via Next plus you avoid the $36 upgrade fee. It is your choice but if you do the math, I think you will find Next costs less. 

All of the other carriers are doing the same thing in regards to upgrades. In fact, some carriers don't even offer the subsidized 2 year contract price any more. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

It clearly states 10gb 4phones$100 and$15/line up to ten lines. But be careful if you upgrade a phone. They will charge $40 for the new line. Very deceptive 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Shame on you ATT. I'm switching to Tmobile.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I was already a loyal ATT customer for years and no where in the fine print did it say $40 ( I signed up in January 2014. I already had phones from ATT for two years and did not upgrade. When I did upgrade the one phone after 3 years they jacked up the price form $15 to $40. Shame on you theives. Clearly fraudulent advertising and deception.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

It is not fraudulent, IT CLEARLY STATES "OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING". which means you cannot have a subsidized phone to get the pricing.
People only see the price and don't care about the small print. EVERY contract has small print. Either read and understand the small print or suffer the consequences.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Jfraunberger wrote:

It clearly states 10gb 4phones$100 and$15/line up to ten lines. But be careful if you upgrade a phone. They will charge $40 for the new line. Very deceptive 

How exactly is this "deceptive", it clearly states "No annual service contract", RIF

0_MS_40.PNG

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.