For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Scholar

• 

105 Messages

10 years ago

@kdfederer wrote:
Most of the carriers are doing away with the subsidized phone plans. What should AT&T do that could make you understand that if you use a subsidized upgrade, you costs go up. The ads specifically state that it is OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING. Does no one understand what the means?

It is not clear period. Down in the middle it states, "No Annual Contract". That could mean anything like this new plan does not require a 2 year agreement. Why doesn't it state, " Does not include the cost of the phone"

If it is so clear how come so many people and ATT employees don't understand it.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

And the thing is that I have 5 two and three year old phones on my plan. They're NOT "subsidized" and I still had to fight an argue with numerous people to keep my plan as low as it is. I went to the AT&T store and we calculated how much it would cost to do a "free upgrade." With the extra it would cost for the change in my plan I would be paying much more than just buying the phone outright. 

The wholesale on those phones is probably half of retail so you know really could subsidize them, rather than making it more expensive to use the plan.

The thing that got me in this forum was when my son broke his phone that was eligible for an upgrade anyway. The agent OFFERED to send a new phone (I didn't ask for it) and promised me that it would not cost me ANYTHING (I asked repeatedly because of the history with them). When I finally figured out that he lied it was supposedly too late to go back. Finally, we sent the new phone back and I fixed the old one myself. 

They still send survey texts but I stopped replying to them.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I switched my plan from two unlimited data lines to this "deal" and had a chat conversation with a rep on feb.2nd. and was told that I can upgrade my two none data phones to to a two extra years contracted smart phone and would be billed $15/month/phone. BUT when the bill come it's $40/month/phone for those two phones. I've been having to call in and pleaded my case every month since.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I'm being told 72 hrs wait too, right now... however I have the chat log to prove that I was told of the $15/phone/month was include any new two years upgrade phones if my phone was due for an upgrade.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

you only get the $15 per phone line if you do NOT get subsidized phone pricing. If you get a subsidized phone upgrade, you enter a 2 year contract and that pricing is ONLY good on out of contract phone lines.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I wish that we would have known that we had to upgrade prior to February 1 of this year to remain with the 15 dollar per line plan...that must be AT&Ts best kept secret from loyal customers.

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

For anyone (still) considering whether to go with MSV...it simply boils down to this--if the lure of paying subsidized pricing for device upgrades without seeing your monthly bill go up is critical, then stay on your current plan--i.e., don't switch to MSV...but if the lure of potentially seeing a lower monthly bill while gaining certain wireless plan features (e.g., unlimited minutes or tethering) is worth the risk of possibly having to pay way more for your next device upgrade--or, seeing your per-line cost go up if you don't elect to go with Next, then by all means go with MSV.

Me--I realize that by going with MSV, if I ever decide to upgrade my phone to the next latest and greatest device, it will cost me way more out of my pocket than it would have cost me to upgrade my phone had I elected to stay with my previous wireless plan.  Basically, I am gambling that I will be using my current iPhone for some time to come...and if I ever decide that I want a better/newer phone...I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@jane697 wrote:

Me--I realize that by going with MSV, if I ever decide to upgrade my phone to the next latest and greatest device, it will cost me way more out of my pocket than it would have cost me to upgrade my phone had I elected to stay with my previous wireless plan.  Basically, I am gambling that I will be using my current iPhone for some time to come...and if I ever decide that I want a better/newer phone...I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

One thing to consider is that if you squirrel away that $25/month you are saving by being on the MSVP, it will only take you 18 months to save up the difference in cost between a contract subsidized iPhone and an off-contract purchase of an iPhone (since the contract subsidy is $450 off the purchase price).  This means that you could save enough money to pay that contract subsidy, and still have an extra 6 months of that $25/month (total of $150) saved over the 2 year term that you would have been under contract.  It may seem like it will cost you more for your phone, but in the end, you are paying less total for phone and service if you have that 10GB or higher MSVP.  If you have a MSVP  less than 10GB per month, then you might actually be cheaper to keep your current plan because you only save $15/month, so it would take you 30 months to save the $450 contract subsidy, which is longer than your 24 month contract would be.

People often forget to include the total cost over the full term when comparing which option is better.  If you just look at the MSVP monthly cost, then it's generally far better.  If you just look at the phone cost then the MSVP is generally far worse, but when you look at the two together (since you have to pay for both), the total difference is relatively small and which is better would depend upon your exact situation.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Im in a similar situation. I bought two refurbished at&t phones so i could switch from verizon and get that plan for $130.00 a month. I did all of my agreement on the phone with an at&t rep that assured me that i had that plan. He told me that my first bill would be a little higher due to activation fees of $36.00 per line. So now im expectin my first bill to be around $220.00 because i get a discount through my employer. Yall just take a geuss what my first bill is. Try $417.00. I call them and they tell me that i dont qualify for that $130.00 a month plan. Now im in a two year contract that i was lied into. They said my only option was to pay $600.00 to buy out the contract that i didnt want in the first place. I guess in todays world, a mans word is worthless or atleast a mans word that works for at&t. I guess yall can tell that im not a very happy customer.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Buckfever40 wrote:
Im in a similar situation. I bought two refurbished at&t phones so i could switch from verizon and get that plan for $130.00 a month. I did all of my agreement on the phone with an at&t rep that assured me that i had that plan. He told me that my first bill would be a little higher due to activation fees of $36.00 per line. So now im expectin my first bill to be around $220.00 because i get a discount through my employer. Yall just take a geuss what my first bill is. Try $417.00. I call them and they tell me that i dont qualify for that $130.00 a month plan. Now im in a two year contract that i was lied into. They said my only option was to pay $600.00 to buy out the contract that i didnt want in the first place. I guess in todays world, a mans word is worthless or atleast a mans word that works for at&t. I guess yall can tell that im not a very happy customer.

Your mistake as I'm sure you know by now was buying those 2 refurbished phones at the 2 year contract subsidized price. That is why you are in a 2 year contract and that is why you are not getting the $130/month cost. You only get the lower cost if not under contract. However, your monthly bill should be $180, not $417. That first bill is often scary high because it includes up to 2 months of service plus the activation fees. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.