For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

I don't get it.  I am not under contract.  I have 4 smartphones.  I must have already paid for those phones many times over under the subscription plan.  I have two iPhone 4S and two iPhone 5.  So it's kind of like I am "bringing my own phone" as it were.  If I cancelled my current plan, I would keep all these phones, is what I am saying. 

Regardless, the CSR told me I would HAVE TO BUY NEW PHONES and pay 40 dollars per phone PLUS 22 dollars a month (some kind of payment plan for the new hones I don't need).  I'm not complaining about the CSR, she was very professional and courteous. 

I don't care how much you try to justify the message of the commercial, it is extremely misleading and simply a time waster.  In fact, I probably would have never even looked into changing my plan or my carrier until this, what can only be called bait and switch, commercial spot.   

So what does ATT want me to do?  Move to Verizon? Because that's probably whats going to happen after what has to be 20 plus years...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@mannye wrote:

I don't get it.  I am not under contract.  I have 4 smartphones.  I must have already paid for those phones many times over under the subscription plan.  I have two iPhone 4S and two iPhone 5.  So it's kind of like I am "bringing my own phone" as it were.  If I cancelled my current plan, I would keep all these phones, is what I am saying. 

Regardless, the CSR told me I would HAVE TO BUY NEW PHONES and pay 40 dollars per phone PLUS 22 dollars a month (some kind of payment plan for the new hones I don't need).  I'm not complaining about the CSR, she was very professional and courteous. 

I don't care how much you try to justify the message of the commercial, it is extremely misleading and simply a time waster.  In fact, I probably would have never even looked into changing my plan or my carrier until this, what can only be called bait and switch, commercial spot.   

So what does ATT want me to do?  Move to Verizon? Because that's probably whats going to happen after what has to be 20 plus years...

You got bad information from that CSR. You are definitely able to keep the phones you have on the mobile share plan and your per phone price will be $15. You do not have to buy new phones. If you did buy new phones and had to pay $22/month for each phone, that is the Next plan and your per phone price for service would still stay at $15, not $40. Please call again, you definitely got bad information.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

OK..  I did call again and I take back the professional part about the initial CSR...courteous, but completely wrong. 

I was told that the plan was $160 and that adding an extra line for a non-smart phone would be $15 making the new plan $175 a month which is exactly how the commercial represents (minus, of course, the extra line).  That's a much better deal than the average $370-$400 I have been paying. 

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about.  I was understandably furious when I thought I was going to be forced to purchase phones, in which case everyone would be correct in complaining. 

However, plans that include a phone in the price are very clear about that.  Why? Because most plans DO NOT include a free phone!  Especially a smart phone like an iPhone 5. 

If it did, I suspect "FREE iPHONE 5!!!" would be front and center in the commercial!  Sure, there are some two year plans that offer a "free phone" but we all know that phone isn't really free.  Just like the subsidized iPhones that come with most plans... they don't really cost me $199...  They cost me a two year commitment with the carrier PLUS $199.  

Now let's see if my good mood remains when that first bill comes..  I will be updating either experience.  I hope it ends up being a good one!

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

You must work for AT&T at least what you said is as confusing as their
agents are!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

The Next program should disclose that if at any time before you upgrade (18 months) or break, lose the phones with the next program before the 26 months, you will be asked to pay the balance of the phone at full retail price of $600 for a iPhone 5c.. hey but guess what ?it's yours after 26 months of payments.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

3 Lines for 145 dollars  ? Big Lie~

So I was using ATT since 2008. I was okay with horrible ATT service, I didn't have any complain. And now they made me to change this new plan that there isn't no discount. Wow. Basically, I had no contract before March. After I've seen your TV commercial that using 3 lines for $ 145, I decided to change my plan. I changed it and got a new phone. WhatTheH, bill isn't cheaper. I didn't get any discount for the line that I upgraded. You pisssed me up. Now I can't wait to switch to verizon. I am calculating ETF. Because I am not that stupid to pay 24 months *$40 = $960 for nothing. I am trying to contact you, but at&t chatting is useless. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@mgood2 wrote:

So I was using ATT since 2008. I was okay with horrible ATT service, I didn't have any complain. And now they made me to change this new plan that there isn't no discount. Wow. Basically, I had no contract before March. After I've seen your TV commercial that using 3 lines for $ 145, I decided to change my plan. I changed it and got a new phone. WhatTheH, bill isn't cheaper. I didn't get any discount for the line that I upgraded. You pisssed me up. Now I can't wait to switch to verizon. I am calculating ETF. Because I am not that stupid to pay 24 months *$40 = $960 for nothing. I am trying to contact you, but at&t chatting is useless. 

Your mistake was upgrading at the 2 year contract price. By upgrading that way, you raised your monthly cost for that line from $15 to $40. Sorry you didn't know that but it is clearly spelled out on the Mobile Share pricing page that the $15 rate is for lines not under contract. You could have kept the rate at $15 by upgrading via Next. Good luck with Verizon, they are doing the same thing. 

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

@mgood2 wrote:

The two things that are in bold contradict each other, so I take it that AT&T didn't make you change your plan.

If you saw the TV commercial, you saw that there is a statement in the commercial that states that the pricing is for no-contract plans.  If you chose to renew your contract, you chose the higher price, as well.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

It's basically a scam. It is not explained and it's just a way to trick you into changing plans. They should just say you will save money UNTIL you want to upgrade and then you are screwed. For someone who has been loyal for 14 years, it's disappointing to say the least. We are iphone users, with 4 iPhones and one ipad and we were looking forward to the release later this year; however, we may have to look into getting new phones with new carrier. AT&T should be ashamed of themselves. Things like this are what's wrong with the world.. it's greed, plain and simple. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

You all should be ashamed. You know it's misleading and basically a scam..a trick. Greed is the downfall of many.. Remember that. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.