Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 20, 2014
6:48:17 PM
Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:27:58 AM

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 2:53:54 PM
(0)
Employee

The plan itself is the following:

$100+40/smartphone+15/basic phone

You get a $25 credit per line for your smartphones under the following circumstances:

1. Your contract on your phone started prior to February 2, 2014.
  2. You are on next for your upgrade.
  3. You have no contract (applies to bring your own device).

If you do not meet the requirements for the credit you will not receive it.  You can evaluate how you want to get the device, however it breaks down that if you are on this new plan and want a new phone then bring your own device or next will come out costing you the least.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
573 replies
(21) Me too
(21) Me too
View all replies
(573)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 10:10:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

I don't get it.  I am not under contract.  I have 4 smartphones.  I must have already paid for those phones many times over under the subscription plan.  I have two iPhone 4S and two iPhone 5.  So it's kind of like I am "bringing my own phone" as it were.  If I cancelled my current plan, I would keep all these phones, is what I am saying. 

Regardless, the CSR told me I would HAVE TO BUY NEW PHONES and pay 40 dollars per phone PLUS 22 dollars a month (some kind of payment plan for the new hones I don't need).  I'm not complaining about the CSR, she was very professional and courteous. 

I don't care how much you try to justify the message of the commercial, it is extremely misleading and simply a time waster.  In fact, I probably would have never even looked into changing my plan or my carrier until this, what can only be called bait and switch, commercial spot.   

So what does ATT want me to do?  Move to Verizon? Because that's probably whats going to happen after what has to be 20 plus years...

I don't get it.  I am not under contract.  I have 4 smartphones.  I must have already paid for those phones many times over under the subscription plan.  I have two iPhone 4S and two iPhone 5.  So it's kind of like I am "bringing my own phone" as it were.  If I cancelled my current plan, I would keep all these phones, is what I am saying. 

Regardless, the CSR told me I would HAVE TO BUY NEW PHONES and pay 40 dollars per phone PLUS 22 dollars a month (some kind of payment plan for the new hones I don't need).  I'm not complaining about the CSR, she was very professional and courteous. 

I don't care how much you try to justify the message of the commercial, it is extremely misleading and simply a time waster.  In fact, I probably would have never even looked into changing my plan or my carrier until this, what can only be called bait and switch, commercial spot.   

So what does ATT want me to do?  Move to Verizon? Because that's probably whats going to happen after what has to be 20 plus years...

Re: New $160 plan is not $160 - if you upgrade 4 phones after signing up it's $260

181 of 574 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 10:55:58 AM
(0)
Former Employee

mannye wrote:

You got bad information from that CSR. You are definitely able to keep the phones you have on the mobile share plan and your per phone price will be $15. You do not have to buy new phones. If you did buy new phones and had to pay $22/month for each phone, that is the Next plan and your per phone price for service would still stay at $15, not $40. Please call again, you definitely got bad information.

mannye wrote:

You got bad information from that CSR. You are definitely able to keep the phones you have on the mobile share plan and your per phone price will be $15. You do not have to buy new phones. If you did buy new phones and had to pay $22/month for each phone, that is the Next plan and your per phone price for service would still stay at $15, not $40. Please call again, you definitely got bad information.

Re: New $160 plan is not $160 - if you upgrade 4 phones after signing up it's $260

182 of 574 (1,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 11:10:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

OK..  I did call again and I take back the professional part about the initial CSR...courteous, but completely wrong. 

I was told that the plan was $160 and that adding an extra line for a non-smart phone would be $15 making the new plan $175 a month which is exactly how the commercial represents (minus, of course, the extra line).  That's a much better deal than the average $370-$400 I have been paying. 

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about.  I was understandably furious when I thought I was going to be forced to purchase phones, in which case everyone would be correct in complaining. 

However, plans that include a phone in the price are very clear about that.  Why? Because most plans DO NOT include a free phone!  Especially a smart phone like an iPhone 5. 

If it did, I suspect "FREE iPHONE 5!!!" would be front and center in the commercial!  Sure, there are some two year plans that offer a "free phone" but we all know that phone isn't really free.  Just like the subsidized iPhones that come with most plans... they don't really cost me $199...  They cost me a two year commitment with the carrier PLUS $199.  

Now let's see if my good mood remains when that first bill comes..  I will be updating either experience.  I hope it ends up being a good one!

OK..  I did call again and I take back the professional part about the initial CSR...courteous, but completely wrong. 

I was told that the plan was $160 and that adding an extra line for a non-smart phone would be $15 making the new plan $175 a month which is exactly how the commercial represents (minus, of course, the extra line).  That's a much better deal than the average $370-$400 I have been paying. 

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about.  I was understandably furious when I thought I was going to be forced to purchase phones, in which case everyone would be correct in complaining. 

However, plans that include a phone in the price are very clear about that.  Why? Because most plans DO NOT include a free phone!  Especially a smart phone like an iPhone 5. 

If it did, I suspect "FREE iPHONE 5!!!" would be front and center in the commercial!  Sure, there are some two year plans that offer a "free phone" but we all know that phone isn't really free.  Just like the subsidized iPhones that come with most plans... they don't really cost me $199...  They cost me a two year commitment with the carrier PLUS $199.  

Now let's see if my good mood remains when that first bill comes..  I will be updating either experience.  I hope it ends up being a good one!

183 of 574 (1,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 2:37:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
You must work for AT&T at least what you said is as confusing as their
agents are!
You must work for AT&T at least what you said is as confusing as their
agents are!

184 of 574 (1,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 5:30:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
The Next program should disclose that if at any time before you upgrade (18 months) or break, lose the phones with the next program before the 26 months, you will be asked to pay the balance of the phone at full retail price of $600 for a iPhone 5c.. hey but guess what ?it's yours after 26 months of payments.

The Next program should disclose that if at any time before you upgrade (18 months) or break, lose the phones with the next program before the 26 months, you will be asked to pay the balance of the phone at full retail price of $600 for a iPhone 5c.. hey but guess what ?it's yours after 26 months of payments.

Re: Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

185 of 574 (1,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 4:00:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

3 Lines for 145 dollars  ? Big Lie~

So I was using ATT since 2008. I was okay with horrible ATT service, I didn't have any complain. And now they made me to change this new plan that there isn't no discount. Wow. Basically, I had no contract before March. After I've seen your TV commercial that using 3 lines for $ 145, I decided to change my plan. I changed it and got a new phone. WhatTheH, bill isn't cheaper. I didn't get any discount for the line that I upgraded. You pisssed me up. Now I can't wait to switch to verizon. I am calculating ETF. Because I am not that stupid to pay 24 months *$40 = $960 for nothing. I am trying to contact you, but at&t chatting is useless. 

So I was using ATT since 2008. I was okay with horrible ATT service, I didn't have any complain. And now they made me to change this new plan that there isn't no discount. Wow. Basically, I had no contract before March. After I've seen your TV commercial that using 3 lines for $ 145, I decided to change my plan. I changed it and got a new phone. WhatTheH, bill isn't cheaper. I didn't get any discount for the line that I upgraded. You pisssed me up. Now I can't wait to switch to verizon. I am calculating ETF. Because I am not that stupid to pay 24 months *$40 = $960 for nothing. I am trying to contact you, but at&t chatting is useless. 

I am complaining about the 10 GB Family plan.

186 of 574 (1,539 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 5:04:45 PM
(0)
Former Employee

mgood2 wrote:

Your mistake was upgrading at the 2 year contract price. By upgrading that way, you raised your monthly cost for that line from $15 to $40. Sorry you didn't know that but it is clearly spelled out on the Mobile Share pricing page that the $15 rate is for lines not under contract. You could have kept the rate at $15 by upgrading via Next. Good luck with Verizon, they are doing the same thing. 

mgood2 wrote:

Your mistake was upgrading at the 2 year contract price. By upgrading that way, you raised your monthly cost for that line from $15 to $40. Sorry you didn't know that but it is clearly spelled out on the Mobile Share pricing page that the $15 rate is for lines not under contract. You could have kept the rate at $15 by upgrading via Next. Good luck with Verizon, they are doing the same thing. 

Re: I am complaining about the 10 GB Family plan.

187 of 574 (1,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 8:40:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mgood2 wrote:

The two things that are in bold contradict each other, so I take it that AT&T didn't make you change your plan.

If you saw the TV commercial, you saw that there is a statement in the commercial that states that the pricing is for no-contract plans.  If you chose to renew your contract, you chose the higher price, as well.

mgood2 wrote:

The two things that are in bold contradict each other, so I take it that AT&T didn't make you change your plan.

If you saw the TV commercial, you saw that there is a statement in the commercial that states that the pricing is for no-contract plans.  If you chose to renew your contract, you chose the higher price, as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I am complaining about the 10 GB Family plan.

188 of 574 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 7:16:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's basically a scam. It is not explained and it's just a way to trick you into changing plans. They should just say you will save money UNTIL you want to upgrade and then you are screwed. For someone who has been loyal for 14 years, it's disappointing to say the least. We are iphone users, with 4 iPhones and one ipad and we were looking forward to the release later this year; however, we may have to look into getting new phones with new carrier. AT&T should be ashamed of themselves. Things like this are what's wrong with the world.. it's greed, plain and simple. 

It's basically a scam. It is not explained and it's just a way to trick you into changing plans. They should just say you will save money UNTIL you want to upgrade and then you are screwed. For someone who has been loyal for 14 years, it's disappointing to say the least. We are iphone users, with 4 iPhones and one ipad and we were looking forward to the release later this year; however, we may have to look into getting new phones with new carrier. AT&T should be ashamed of themselves. Things like this are what's wrong with the world.. it's greed, plain and simple. 

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

189 of 574 (1,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 7:22:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

You all should be ashamed. You know it's misleading and basically a scam..a trick. Greed is the downfall of many.. Remember that. 

You all should be ashamed. You know it's misleading and basically a scam..a trick. Greed is the downfall of many.. Remember that. 

Re: Family plan is not as advertised.

190 of 574 (1,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 5:26:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Most of the carriers are doing away with the subsidized phone plans. What should AT&T do that could make you understand that if you use a subsidized upgrade, you costs go up. The ads specifically state that it is OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING. Does no one understand what the means?
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Most of the carriers are doing away with the subsidized phone plans. What should AT&T do that could make you understand that if you use a subsidized upgrade, you costs go up. The ads specifically state that it is OUT OF CONTRACT PRICING. Does no one understand what the means?
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

191 of 574 (1,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 6:50:35 AM
(0)
Former Employee

kdfederer wrote:

I wonder how many of the people complaining they weren't told actually were told but either didn't understand or didn't listen? 

kdfederer wrote:

I wonder how many of the people complaining they weren't told actually were told but either didn't understand or didn't listen? 

192 of 574 (1,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 12:37:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

When you upgrade its like signing a new 2 year agreement, well in reality that's exactly what your doing.

When you upgrade its like signing a new 2 year agreement, well in reality that's exactly what your doing.

Re: Mobile Share Value Plan

193 of 574 (1,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 2:03:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same issue with them some smart people here think it is not deceiving for them to advertise it that way saying in their commercial that you can just add a line for $15 and then when you get your bill you will be charged $40 per line. I actually sign up for in the actual store and it was never explained to me that additional line will cost as much. I spoke with their executive customer service representative and he said that he can't do nothng about and he said that he received a lot of complaints regarding the same issue. I filed a complaint to Better Business Bureau and Federal Trade COmmission so they can look into this matter.

I had the same issue with them some smart people here think it is not deceiving for them to advertise it that way saying in their commercial that you can just add a line for $15 and then when you get your bill you will be charged $40 per line. I actually sign up for in the actual store and it was never explained to me that additional line will cost as much. I spoke with their executive customer service representative and he said that he can't do nothng about and he said that he received a lot of complaints regarding the same issue. I filed a complaint to Better Business Bureau and Federal Trade COmmission so they can look into this matter.

Re: New AT&T Family Plan 2014

194 of 574 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 3:20:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
EVERY ad has a disclaimer that the pricing is for out of contract phone lines (which meets the FTC advertising guidelines). If you don't understand what that means, you should ask. And if you don't read the small print, then shame on you.
It seems like everyone can find this forum if they have s problem, but don't check things out before they sign on the dotted line.
Those issues have been discussed here for months. Everyone that is on this site knows that if you get a subsidized upgrade, your phone plan goes up.
EVERY ad has a disclaimer that the pricing is for out of contract phone lines (which meets the FTC advertising guidelines). If you don't understand what that means, you should ask. And if you don't read the small print, then shame on you.
It seems like everyone can find this forum if they have s problem, but don't check things out before they sign on the dotted line.
Those issues have been discussed here for months. Everyone that is on this site knows that if you get a subsidized upgrade, your phone plan goes up.

Re: New AT&T Family Plan 2014

195 of 574 (1,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 3:30:55 PM
(0)
Expert

rgcentry wrote:

No it is not a scam, it is documented on the website and it is documented on the tv adds on the final display

rgcentry wrote:

No it is not a scam, it is documented on the website and it is documented on the tv adds on the final display

196 of 574 (1,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 3:32:14 PM
(0)
Expert

rgcentry wrote:

final word - read the agreement before you sign it, makes for less surprises that if you just blinding sign.Not reading the terms is neither a scam nor misleading

rgcentry wrote:

final word - read the agreement before you sign it, makes for less surprises that if you just blinding sign.Not reading the terms is neither a scam nor misleading

197 of 574 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 7:01:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

beware of the mobile share billing!   I just upgraded one phone of the four and now it is no longer $160, instead they are going to bill me an addtional $25 for the upgraded line. 

All I can get out of ATT is that "you signed the contract".  and they are correct, Smiley Sad

Well Dummy me for not reading the extra small print.       What the biggest urk is, is that the offer is still at their web site to new customer at $160. .   I have never never never had an issue with contracts be upcharged before and I have been a customer since 2001.   So this was unexpected!

So I will take my $500 monthly I pay for all my services  and move on. I will just have to suck it up until all of the  four lines contract expires. 3 will be with in a few months and I will adjust my plan as they expire until I am down to the one, which will expire in only 22 months. 

hum.... loose $500 monthly over a $25 monthly issue.  I believe that is a net lose of $475 monthly.  

just be aware of upgrading phones on this plan! Smiley Frustrated    

beware of the mobile share billing!   I just upgraded one phone of the four and now it is no longer $160, instead they are going to bill me an addtional $25 for the upgraded line. 

All I can get out of ATT is that "you signed the contract".  and they are correct, Smiley Sad

Well Dummy me for not reading the extra small print.       What the biggest urk is, is that the offer is still at their web site to new customer at $160. .   I have never never never had an issue with contracts be upcharged before and I have been a customer since 2001.   So this was unexpected!

So I will take my $500 monthly I pay for all my services  and move on. I will just have to suck it up until all of the  four lines contract expires. 3 will be with in a few months and I will adjust my plan as they expire until I am down to the one, which will expire in only 22 months. 

hum.... loose $500 monthly over a $25 monthly issue.  I believe that is a net lose of $475 monthly.  

Re: Billing for Mobile Share Value plan

198 of 574 (1,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 8:09:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jhcoburn wrote:

Yes, the "upcharge" you mention is documented all over the AT&T Mobile Share site because it is a new feature.  So many people have been complaining that they finished their 2 year contract and didn't get a new phone, but still had to pay a higher fee for their monthly services to subsidize a phone which was already paid off (the contract fulfilled).  AT&T answered this complaint by offering off-contract discounts to customers who do not purchase contract subsidized phones when they have the Mobile Share plans.  When you elect to purchase a subsidized phone, your monthly fee goes up to pay for that subsidy now.

AT&T offered you a discount by allowing you to not pay that contract subsidy for the remainder of your pre-existing contract if it was in effect before 02/01/2014, and you quickly took advantage of that, so why should you complain when you sign a new contract and no longer get that off-contract discount on your phone service?  If your purchased your new contract phones within the last 14 days, you can still return them and get your off-contract discounts back.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

jhcoburn wrote:

Yes, the "upcharge" you mention is documented all over the AT&T Mobile Share site because it is a new feature.  So many people have been complaining that they finished their 2 year contract and didn't get a new phone, but still had to pay a higher fee for their monthly services to subsidize a phone which was already paid off (the contract fulfilled).  AT&T answered this complaint by offering off-contract discounts to customers who do not purchase contract subsidized phones when they have the Mobile Share plans.  When you elect to purchase a subsidized phone, your monthly fee goes up to pay for that subsidy now.

AT&T offered you a discount by allowing you to not pay that contract subsidy for the remainder of your pre-existing contract if it was in effect before 02/01/2014, and you quickly took advantage of that, so why should you complain when you sign a new contract and no longer get that off-contract discount on your phone service?  If your purchased your new contract phones within the last 14 days, you can still return them and get your off-contract discounts back.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

199 of 574 (1,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2014 12:03:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

you say complaining and I say taking action!  Moving my $500 elsewhere.  

Like I said, they will have a small bit of that, 1 line,  for an addtional 22 months, not that I an counting!      I am just advising those who sign up for this plan to read the small print upon getting a upgraded phone. Certainly wish, someone has advised me!!!!

I was not verbally told of the new charges and it was "surprize" on my bill.   Again, Not that they are required to tell me,   I should of read it,    ATT got me after 14 years!

you say complaining and I say taking action!  Moving my $500 elsewhere.  

Like I said, they will have a small bit of that, 1 line,  for an addtional 22 months, not that I an counting!      I am just advising those who sign up for this plan to read the small print upon getting a upgraded phone. Certainly wish, someone has advised me!!!!

I was not verbally told of the new charges and it was "surprize" on my bill.   Again, Not that they are required to tell me,   I should of read it,    ATT got me after 14 years!

200 of 574 (1,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 12:01:10 PM
(0)
Scholar

kdfederer wrote:

It is not clear period. Down in the middle it states, "No Annual Contract". That could mean anything like this new plan does not require a 2 year agreement. Why doesn't it state, " Does not include the cost of the phone"

If it is so clear how come so many people and ATT employees don't understand it.

kdfederer wrote:

It is not clear period. Down in the middle it states, "No Annual Contract". That could mean anything like this new plan does not require a 2 year agreement. Why doesn't it state, " Does not include the cost of the phone"

If it is so clear how come so many people and ATT employees don't understand it.

201 of 574 (1,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 12:42:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

And the thing is that I have 5 two and three year old phones on my plan. They're NOT "subsidized" and I still had to fight an argue with numerous people to keep my plan as low as it is. I went to the AT&T store and we calculated how much it would cost to do a "free upgrade." With the extra it would cost for the change in my plan I would be paying much more than just buying the phone outright. 

The wholesale on those phones is probably half of retail so you know really could subsidize them, rather than making it more expensive to use the plan.

The thing that got me in this forum was when my son broke his phone that was eligible for an upgrade anyway. The agent OFFERED to send a new phone (I didn't ask for it) and promised me that it would not cost me ANYTHING (I asked repeatedly because of the history with them). When I finally figured out that he lied it was supposedly too late to go back. Finally, we sent the new phone back and I fixed the old one myself. 

They still send survey texts but I stopped replying to them.

And the thing is that I have 5 two and three year old phones on my plan. They're NOT "subsidized" and I still had to fight an argue with numerous people to keep my plan as low as it is. I went to the AT&T store and we calculated how much it would cost to do a "free upgrade." With the extra it would cost for the change in my plan I would be paying much more than just buying the phone outright. 

The wholesale on those phones is probably half of retail so you know really could subsidize them, rather than making it more expensive to use the plan.

The thing that got me in this forum was when my son broke his phone that was eligible for an upgrade anyway. The agent OFFERED to send a new phone (I didn't ask for it) and promised me that it would not cost me ANYTHING (I asked repeatedly because of the history with them). When I finally figured out that he lied it was supposedly too late to go back. Finally, we sent the new phone back and I fixed the old one myself. 

They still send survey texts but I stopped replying to them.

202 of 574 (1,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2014 5:49:11 PM
(0)
Tutor
I switched my plan from two unlimited data lines to this "deal" and had a chat conversation with a rep on feb.2nd. and was told that I can upgrade my two none data phones to to a two extra years contracted smart phone and would be billed $15/month/phone. BUT when the bill come it's $40/month/phone for those two phones. I've been having to call in and pleaded my case every month since.
I switched my plan from two unlimited data lines to this "deal" and had a chat conversation with a rep on feb.2nd. and was told that I can upgrade my two none data phones to to a two extra years contracted smart phone and would be billed $15/month/phone. BUT when the bill come it's $40/month/phone for those two phones. I've been having to call in and pleaded my case every month since.

203 of 574 (1,234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2014 6:02:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
I'm being told 72 hrs wait too, right now... however I have the chat log to prove that I was told of the $15/phone/month was include any new two years upgrade phones if my phone was due for an upgrade.
I'm being told 72 hrs wait too, right now... however I have the chat log to prove that I was told of the $15/phone/month was include any new two years upgrade phones if my phone was due for an upgrade.

204 of 574 (1,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2014 6:40:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
you only get the $15 per phone line if you do NOT get subsidized phone pricing. If you get a subsidized phone upgrade, you enter a 2 year contract and that pricing is ONLY good on out of contract phone lines.
you only get the $15 per phone line if you do NOT get subsidized phone pricing. If you get a subsidized phone upgrade, you enter a 2 year contract and that pricing is ONLY good on out of contract phone lines.

205 of 574 (1,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2014 8:54:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

I wish that we would have known that we had to upgrade prior to February 1 of this year to remain with the 15 dollar per line plan...that must be AT&Ts best kept secret from loyal customers.

I wish that we would have known that we had to upgrade prior to February 1 of this year to remain with the 15 dollar per line plan...that must be AT&Ts best kept secret from loyal customers.

206 of 574 (1,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 9:05:04 AM
(0)
Scholar

For anyone (still) considering whether to go with MSV...it simply boils down to this--if the lure of paying subsidized pricing for device upgrades without seeing your monthly bill go up is critical, then stay on your current plan--i.e., don't switch to MSV...but if the lure of potentially seeing a lower monthly bill while gaining certain wireless plan features (e.g., unlimited minutes or tethering) is worth the risk of possibly having to pay way more for your next device upgrade--or, seeing your per-line cost go up if you don't elect to go with Next, then by all means go with MSV.

Me--I realize that by going with MSV, if I ever decide to upgrade my phone to the next latest and greatest device, it will cost me way more out of my pocket than it would have cost me to upgrade my phone had I elected to stay with my previous wireless plan.  Basically, I am gambling that I will be using my current iPhone for some time to come...and if I ever decide that I want a better/newer phone...I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

For anyone (still) considering whether to go with MSV...it simply boils down to this--if the lure of paying subsidized pricing for device upgrades without seeing your monthly bill go up is critical, then stay on your current plan--i.e., don't switch to MSV...but if the lure of potentially seeing a lower monthly bill while gaining certain wireless plan features (e.g., unlimited minutes or tethering) is worth the risk of possibly having to pay way more for your next device upgrade--or, seeing your per-line cost go up if you don't elect to go with Next, then by all means go with MSV.

Me--I realize that by going with MSV, if I ever decide to upgrade my phone to the next latest and greatest device, it will cost me way more out of my pocket than it would have cost me to upgrade my phone had I elected to stay with my previous wireless plan.  Basically, I am gambling that I will be using my current iPhone for some time to come...and if I ever decide that I want a better/newer phone...I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

207 of 574 (1,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 2:07:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jane697 wrote:

One thing to consider is that if you squirrel away that $25/month you are saving by being on the MSVP, it will only take you 18 months to save up the difference in cost between a contract subsidized iPhone and an off-contract purchase of an iPhone (since the contract subsidy is $450 off the purchase price).  This means that you could save enough money to pay that contract subsidy, and still have an extra 6 months of that $25/month (total of $150) saved over the 2 year term that you would have been under contract.  It may seem like it will cost you more for your phone, but in the end, you are paying less total for phone and service if you have that 10GB or higher MSVP.  If you have a MSVP  less than 10GB per month, then you might actually be cheaper to keep your current plan because you only save $15/month, so it would take you 30 months to save the $450 contract subsidy, which is longer than your 24 month contract would be.

People often forget to include the total cost over the full term when comparing which option is better.  If you just look at the MSVP monthly cost, then it's generally far better.  If you just look at the phone cost then the MSVP is generally far worse, but when you look at the two together (since you have to pay for both), the total difference is relatively small and which is better would depend upon your exact situation.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

jane697 wrote:

One thing to consider is that if you squirrel away that $25/month you are saving by being on the MSVP, it will only take you 18 months to save up the difference in cost between a contract subsidized iPhone and an off-contract purchase of an iPhone (since the contract subsidy is $450 off the purchase price).  This means that you could save enough money to pay that contract subsidy, and still have an extra 6 months of that $25/month (total of $150) saved over the 2 year term that you would have been under contract.  It may seem like it will cost you more for your phone, but in the end, you are paying less total for phone and service if you have that 10GB or higher MSVP.  If you have a MSVP  less than 10GB per month, then you might actually be cheaper to keep your current plan because you only save $15/month, so it would take you 30 months to save the $450 contract subsidy, which is longer than your 24 month contract would be.

People often forget to include the total cost over the full term when comparing which option is better.  If you just look at the MSVP monthly cost, then it's generally far better.  If you just look at the phone cost then the MSVP is generally far worse, but when you look at the two together (since you have to pay for both), the total difference is relatively small and which is better would depend upon your exact situation.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

208 of 574 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 5:33:47 PM
(0)
Tutor
Im in a similar situation. I bought two refurbished at&t phones so i could switch from verizon and get that plan for $130.00 a month. I did all of my agreement on the phone with an at&t rep that assured me that i had that plan. He told me that my first bill would be a little higher due to activation fees of $36.00 per line. So now im expectin my first bill to be around $220.00 because i get a discount through my employer. Yall just take a geuss what my first bill is. Try $417.00. I call them and they tell me that i dont qualify for that $130.00 a month plan. Now im in a two year contract that i was lied into. They said my only option was to pay $600.00 to buy out the contract that i didnt want in the first place. I guess in todays world, a mans word is worthless or atleast a mans word that works for at&t. I guess yall can tell that im not a very happy customer.
Im in a similar situation. I bought two refurbished at&t phones so i could switch from verizon and get that plan for $130.00 a month. I did all of my agreement on the phone with an at&t rep that assured me that i had that plan. He told me that my first bill would be a little higher due to activation fees of $36.00 per line. So now im expectin my first bill to be around $220.00 because i get a discount through my employer. Yall just take a geuss what my first bill is. Try $417.00. I call them and they tell me that i dont qualify for that $130.00 a month plan. Now im in a two year contract that i was lied into. They said my only option was to pay $600.00 to buy out the contract that i didnt want in the first place. I guess in todays world, a mans word is worthless or atleast a mans word that works for at&t. I guess yall can tell that im not a very happy customer.

209 of 574 (1,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 6:06:20 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Buckfever40 wrote:

Your mistake as I'm sure you know by now was buying those 2 refurbished phones at the 2 year contract subsidized price. That is why you are in a 2 year contract and that is why you are not getting the $130/month cost. You only get the lower cost if not under contract. However, your monthly bill should be $180, not $417. That first bill is often scary high because it includes up to 2 months of service plus the activation fees. 

Buckfever40 wrote:

Your mistake as I'm sure you know by now was buying those 2 refurbished phones at the 2 year contract subsidized price. That is why you are in a 2 year contract and that is why you are not getting the $130/month cost. You only get the lower cost if not under contract. However, your monthly bill should be $180, not $417. That first bill is often scary high because it includes up to 2 months of service plus the activation fees. 

210 of 574 (1,155 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments