For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@cla12170 wrote:
Not an option if you dont recieve your first bill till after thst 14 days u s up. I really don't think there is any excuse for a corporation as large as att to not train their employees to provide accurate honest info. Of course in hindsight I totally wish I would have not trusted the reps word but morally and ethically I should be able to. I've been an att customer since it was cingular. I've never had an issue in well over a decade and multiple upgrades and plan changes with this bad of customerservice. Its clear to me something went wrong her for a lot of people and att should fix it. I highly doubt if they don't step up on this one that I will remain a customer of theirs for much longer.

I agree that from an ethics standpoint you should be able to trust that employees are well-trained and that what the respresentatives of any business tell you is accurate and is complete disclosure; unfortunately that's just not very realistic in a world of extremely large organizations, outsourced customer service, jobs where people come & go like ants, etc.  I'm not excusing it, but bottom line - you can't control how at&t or anyone else manages their business, so in my opinion the only way to battle what business has become is to be an informed consumer.  Your bill, and more than 14 days later, shouldn't be your first warning that the deal really isn't what you thought it was. 😞

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

The plan is not $160. It's really $180 they forgot to tell everyone, that that price does not include taxes.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Then EVERY retailer is a liar. Every sign they put out for an item's price, is the price without taxes. If you look at the small print, it says that it DOES NOT include applicable taxes. They can't post the price with taxes as they are DIFFERENT in every locality.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@PhillipCollins wrote:
The plan is not $160. It's really $180 they forgot to tell everyone, that that price does not include taxes.

They didn't forget to tell everyone. Those taxes and extra charges are clearly identiified on AT&T's mobile share pricing web page:

Other Monthly Charges: Apply per line and may include applicable taxes, federal and state universal service charges, a Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), a gross receipts surcharge, an Administrative Fee on consumer and IRU lines, and other governmental assessments which are not taxes or government-required charges, including without limitation a Property Tax Allotment surcharge of $0.20-$0.45 per CRU’s assigned number.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@PhillipCollins wrote:

They also lied and didn't include my FAN discount.  They told me it would be $130 plus taxes and other charges, and my final bill is inder $120 for 2 iPhones.  They LIED!  They are charging me less than they promised me!

(I don't know an emoticon for serious sarcasm)

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

The plan fails to mention that you have to bring your own phones. Your other choice is to sign with the Next program which instead of AT&T honoring the $160 plan which is how they pitch it on tv, they make you lease the phones for 26 months and if you want a newer phone the price goes up.. Beware!! I had fourteen days to make up my mind and when I got the bill saw that at the end of 26 months I'd have paid full retail price.. I may not be under contract but those phones are your responsibility. If you happen to break them before the 26 months are over you are responsible for the full remaining retail price balance. After realizing this I proceeded to visit the store and voicing my concerns. I was advised to purchase insurance on the phones and add more than $10 bucks more for each phone? As I had already left my old cell phone company and although their customer service is great, I found the cell towers around my new area weren't offering the greatest service at the moment. I decided to purchase my phones and sign the 2 year contract. To add insult to injury the salesperson mentioned they would have to charge me restocking and upgrade fees.. A laugh from me and a sarcastic comment. Got him to speak the manager of the store. Finally!! some customer service. The restocking and upgrade fees, i was told would be waived. The phones were bought and a 2 year contract signed.. My second bill is a mess and I owe almost $500 dollars with a fee of 144 for upgrade charges! I called customer service and explained that I was withing my 14 days when they aasured me of the waived fees he said he couldnt help me. So much for customer service had I known all the stuff they pitch is worth less than two cents I'd have kept my old cell company. I thanked him for nothing and now I have to visit the store and take it up with them. I'm in a new contract with a company who needs to disclose all the small print instead of misrepresenting their family shared plans., I am very dissapointed thus far and the only consolation I'm left with is that now I only have to be with AT&T for 24 months instead of 26 and I get to keep my phones!!!

[Inappropriate content removed]

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Letty725 wrote:

The plan fails to mention that you have to bring your own phones. Your other choice is to sign with the Next program which instead of AT&T honoring the $160 plan which is how they pitch it on tv, they make you lease the phones for 26 months and if you want a newer phone the price goes up.. Beware!! I had fourteen days to make up my mind and when I got the bill saw that at the end of 26 months I'd have paid full retail price.. I may not be under contract but those phones are your responsibility. If you happen to break them before the 26 months are over you are responsible for the full remaining retail price balance. After realizing this I proceeded to visit the store and voicing my concerns. I was advised to purchase insurance on the phones and add more than $10 bucks more for each phone? As I had already left my old cell phone company and although their customer service is great, I found the cell towers around my new area weren't offering the greatest service at the moment. I decided to purchase my phones and sign the 2 year contract. To add insult to injury the salesperson mentioned they would have to charge me restocking and upgrade fees.. A laugh from me and a sarcastic comment. Got him to speak the manager of the store. Finally!! some customer service. The restocking and upgrade fees, i was told would be waived. The phones were bought and a 2 year contract signed.. My second bill is a mess and I owe almost $500 dollars with a fee of 144 for upgrade charges! I called customer service and explained that I was withing my 14 days when they aasured me of the waived fees he said he couldnt help me. So much for customer service had I known all the stuff they pitch is worth less than two cents I'd have kept my old cell company. I thanked him for nothing and now I have to visit the store and take it up with them. I'm in a new contract with a company who needs to disclose all the small print instead of misrepresenting their family shared plans., I am very dissapointed thus far and the only consolation I'm left with is that now I only have to be with AT&T for 24 months instead of 26 and I get to keep my phones!!!

[Inappropriate content removed]

Actually it does specify that the price is dependant on a BYOD device or on the Next plan, both the website and the tv add

0_MS_40.PNG

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

@PhillipCollins wrote:

the problem with them including taxes in advertising is the fact that tax rates vary town to town, county to county, state to state.  So there is no way they can advertise the price with taxes and fees

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@PhillipCollins wrote:

the problem with them including taxes in advertising is the fact that tax rates vary town to town, county to county, state to state.  So there is no way they can advertise the price with taxes and fees

You are correct, for my bill here in the Chcago area, those taxes & fees come to about $4.60 per phone according to my detailed billing.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@PhillipCollins wrote:

You are correct, for my bill here in the Chcago area, those taxes & fees come to about $4.60 per phone according to my detailed billing.

and in downstate IL mine 4.77 per phone

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.