Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 20, 2014
6:48:17 PM
Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:27:58 AM

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 2:53:54 PM
(0)
Employee

The plan itself is the following:

$100+40/smartphone+15/basic phone

You get a $25 credit per line for your smartphones under the following circumstances:

1. Your contract on your phone started prior to February 2, 2014.
  2. You are on next for your upgrade.
  3. You have no contract (applies to bring your own device).

If you do not meet the requirements for the credit you will not receive it.  You can evaluate how you want to get the device, however it breaks down that if you are on this new plan and want a new phone then bring your own device or next will come out costing you the least.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
573 replies
(21) Me too
(21) Me too
View all replies
(573)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 9:21:19 AM
(0)
Mentor
My contract started in july of 2013. Who can i talk to now? I even told them i would never have added 5gig to my data without being told this lie. I almost dont want to bother to try to fix it now because some OTHER nasty shoe will drop like happens every time i communicate with atnt. It is a two year contract that started right off with ten gigs as i knew i would want that much data available. LG optimus pro.
My contract started in july of 2013. Who can i talk to now? I even told them i would never have added 5gig to my data without being told this lie. I almost dont want to bother to try to fix it now because some OTHER nasty shoe will drop like happens every time i communicate with atnt. It is a two year contract that started right off with ten gigs as i knew i would want that much data available. LG optimus pro.
listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

121 of 574 (2,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 12:22:49 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 5, 2014 at 12:23:11 PM

I'd reccomend you check the new 10-15gb share plan. They are currently offering specials for contracts starting before feburary.

View the details here www.myattrpc.com

-Alex

I'd reccomend you check the new 10-15gb share plan. They are currently offering specials for contracts starting before feburary.

View the details here www.myattrpc.com

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
122 of 574 (2,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 2:29:12 PM
(0)
Mentor
I guess you didnt read my post. They 'gave' me this discount, i upped my data to fifteen gigs BECAUSE they gave me the discount, then when it came time to pay they told me i cant have that discount until my contract ends in july 2015. I dont expect any better help on this forum than i get in real life, i just want to put it here for the record.
I guess you didnt read my post. They 'gave' me this discount, i upped my data to fifteen gigs BECAUSE they gave me the discount, then when it came time to pay they told me i cant have that discount until my contract ends in july 2015. I dont expect any better help on this forum than i get in real life, i just want to put it here for the record.
listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul

123 of 574 (2,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 2:45:40 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:48:15 PM

And you didn't really look at the pricing option per the website listed there

It says smartphone lines can get the $15 (discount) pricing by being on 10gb or higher, if their contracts started before 02/02/2014.

If your contract ends june of 2015, that means it started june of 2013, so . . . it qualifies if my math is right.

Maybe I missed something?

-Alex

And you didn't really look at the pricing option per the website listed there

It says smartphone lines can get the $15 (discount) pricing by being on 10gb or higher, if their contracts started before 02/02/2014.

If your contract ends june of 2015, that means it started june of 2013, so . . . it qualifies if my math is right.

Maybe I missed something?

-Alex

[ Edited ]
124 of 574 (2,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 7:56:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm  sorry, but every time I even think about chaning plans, upgrades or replacing phones, my blood pressure rises. Buying a phone or a plan is worse than trying to buy a new or used car from a dealer.  The sales people are bent on pushing you to the highest cost, highest profit plans in order to maximize their commission. They use shell games and "bait and switch"  tactics to confuse and frustrate customers to the point they just give up and buy whatever is on the table or they  walk out of the store.  The string of posts on this one topic are a prime example of this. Name any other consumer product where customers are subjected to such tactics.

I'm  sorry, but every time I even think about chaning plans, upgrades or replacing phones, my blood pressure rises. Buying a phone or a plan is worse than trying to buy a new or used car from a dealer.  The sales people are bent on pushing you to the highest cost, highest profit plans in order to maximize their commission. They use shell games and "bait and switch"  tactics to confuse and frustrate customers to the point they just give up and buy whatever is on the table or they  walk out of the store.  The string of posts on this one topic are a prime example of this. Name any other consumer product where customers are subjected to such tactics.

Re: Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

125 of 574 (2,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 9:05:51 AM
(0)
Master

Fortunately at&t has finally brought a pricing plan to the table that can benefit single line users. Smiley Happy  I changed my plan to a single line user MSV plan the day before my billing cycle ended, and my April payment is $61 instead of the $91 I'd been paying for the smallest voice, text, and data (my data usage is < 1GB/month), using the device that I choose to use - which happens to be a smartphone. 

Similarly, I use phones for well beyond 2 years - I'm coming up on 3 years of use with my Nokia E7, and I've never had a phone get lost, stolen, or broken.  I pay more to purchase non-branded (non-subsidized) devices, take care of them, and typically use them until advances in the network technology simply make a particular device difficult to continue to use; then they become "backups". lol.

sandblaster wrote:

T-Boy wrote:

You are dreaming if you think the average person can keep a smartphone 4 or 5 years. Lost, broken, stolen, dead battery. etc. Your numbers don't add up. You don't save $50 a month unless there are multiple lines or you had the worse single line plan in America. If you have more than one line wait till one breaks, loses, or has a phone stolen and see how much you save. A new phone will add at least $25 a month to your bill for 26 months. Some might come out but most will not.

I'm not dreaming at all. My iphone 4 is still in use and in excellent condition. I have no doubt my iPhone 5 will last another 2 years. You are correct that my savings are on a multi line plan. Single line plans won't get the same savings, if any. Your argument about the cost to replace a lost or stolen phone does not really hold either because you can't get a new discounted phone until your contract has expired. If you have to replace your phone while under contract, you will pay full price too. Also, there are two installment options on Next, 20 and 26 months. There are a number of phones that are $25 or less a month for 20 months. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Fortunately at&t has finally brought a pricing plan to the table that can benefit single line users. Smiley Happy  I changed my plan to a single line user MSV plan the day before my billing cycle ended, and my April payment is $61 instead of the $91 I'd been paying for the smallest voice, text, and data (my data usage is < 1GB/month), using the device that I choose to use - which happens to be a smartphone. 

Similarly, I use phones for well beyond 2 years - I'm coming up on 3 years of use with my Nokia E7, and I've never had a phone get lost, stolen, or broken.  I pay more to purchase non-branded (non-subsidized) devices, take care of them, and typically use them until advances in the network technology simply make a particular device difficult to continue to use; then they become "backups". lol.

sandblaster wrote:

T-Boy wrote:

You are dreaming if you think the average person can keep a smartphone 4 or 5 years. Lost, broken, stolen, dead battery. etc. Your numbers don't add up. You don't save $50 a month unless there are multiple lines or you had the worse single line plan in America. If you have more than one line wait till one breaks, loses, or has a phone stolen and see how much you save. A new phone will add at least $25 a month to your bill for 26 months. Some might come out but most will not.

I'm not dreaming at all. My iphone 4 is still in use and in excellent condition. I have no doubt my iPhone 5 will last another 2 years. You are correct that my savings are on a multi line plan. Single line plans won't get the same savings, if any. Your argument about the cost to replace a lost or stolen phone does not really hold either because you can't get a new discounted phone until your contract has expired. If you have to replace your phone while under contract, you will pay full price too. Also, there are two installment options on Next, 20 and 26 months. There are a number of phones that are $25 or less a month for 20 months. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Re: Given misinformation on new mobile share plan. No fix. Only sorry

126 of 574 (2,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2014 9:39:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

little birdy wrote:

I believe that I read your post, about what happened to you.  I will tell you that if you have talked to the correct people in the billing department that you will find that you will get the discount.  I have 2 iPhones on my plan. the first contract started in Sept 2012, and the second in November 2012.  Both are still under contract unil late this year.  In Feb, I switched them both over to the new 10GB Mobile Share value plan.  Now, the first month's bill was confusing because I made the change take effect immediately, not delaying it until the beginning of a new billing cycle.  This meant that my new bill was pro-rated for a little over half the month on the old rates, and then the rest on the new rates.  In the end, my bill for that month went from $182 down to $168.  Now my first full month on the new plan bill arrived a little while back, and it is all the way down to $118 where I expected it. (I receive a FAN discount through my employer).  I have the $130 plan for 2 smart phones, and that is what I was billed  prior to the discounts and taxes/fees being applied.

I'm not sure who "they" are that told you that you can't get the $25/month discount for having a smartphone on your MSVP because you are under contract, but I suspect that "they" are mistaken.  Most likely what you had happen was that your new plan changes went into effect at the start of the new billing cycle.  I have heard that some people (most?) have an issue with not getting the $25/smartphone discount for the first month if they have the changes take effect at the beginning of a new billing cycle.  If this is the case, I susggest you contact the billing department and ask them to correct your bill to give you this credit.  If you have trouble working with the billing department, try contacting the AT&T Customer Care group directly via IM on the support forums and they can help you.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

little birdy wrote:

I believe that I read your post, about what happened to you.  I will tell you that if you have talked to the correct people in the billing department that you will find that you will get the discount.  I have 2 iPhones on my plan. the first contract started in Sept 2012, and the second in November 2012.  Both are still under contract unil late this year.  In Feb, I switched them both over to the new 10GB Mobile Share value plan.  Now, the first month's bill was confusing because I made the change take effect immediately, not delaying it until the beginning of a new billing cycle.  This meant that my new bill was pro-rated for a little over half the month on the old rates, and then the rest on the new rates.  In the end, my bill for that month went from $182 down to $168.  Now my first full month on the new plan bill arrived a little while back, and it is all the way down to $118 where I expected it. (I receive a FAN discount through my employer).  I have the $130 plan for 2 smart phones, and that is what I was billed  prior to the discounts and taxes/fees being applied.

I'm not sure who "they" are that told you that you can't get the $25/month discount for having a smartphone on your MSVP because you are under contract, but I suspect that "they" are mistaken.  Most likely what you had happen was that your new plan changes went into effect at the start of the new billing cycle.  I have heard that some people (most?) have an issue with not getting the $25/smartphone discount for the first month if they have the changes take effect at the beginning of a new billing cycle.  If this is the case, I susggest you contact the billing department and ask them to correct your bill to give you this credit.  If you have trouble working with the billing department, try contacting the AT&T Customer Care group directly via IM on the support forums and they can help you.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

127 of 574 (2,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 6:01:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
So I wanted to upgrade a line and when I signed up for this plan 10gb of data for $160 no one told me that If I wanted to upgrade it would take the discount off my plan. Why it's an upgrade that's been there since 1 year ago. And I had this phone since September last year. I'm so mad. Is sprint any better or tmobile
So I wanted to upgrade a line and when I signed up for this plan 10gb of data for $160 no one told me that If I wanted to upgrade it would take the discount off my plan. Why it's an upgrade that's been there since 1 year ago. And I had this phone since September last year. I'm so mad. Is sprint any better or tmobile

Mobile Share Value Plan

128 of 574 (2,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 9:14:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The thing to understand about the Mobile Share Value Plans is that they are designed to give a reduced service rate for customers who are not purchasing a subsidized phone.  If you purchase a subsidized phone, your monthly bill will go up $25/month for 24 months to pay for that phone subsidy.  If you purchase an off-contract phone yourself, you may pay as much as $450 more for the phone, but you'll save $600 in service charges over the course of 2 years.

When you purchase a new subsidized phone under contract, you are just having to pay the higher rate for your service to subsidize that cheaper phone.  AT&T just took the approach of offering customers who were under contract prioer to 02/01/2014 this reduced price service fee as an incentive to get them to move from their older plans to one of these newer Mobile Share plans.  The other side effect is that customers will "get used to" this lower monthly bill, and be more inclined to purchase an off-contract phone when their current contract expires just to keep the lower service rate too.  Over the course of 2 years, it could save a customer as much as $150, which is not an insignificant amount of money...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

The thing to understand about the Mobile Share Value Plans is that they are designed to give a reduced service rate for customers who are not purchasing a subsidized phone.  If you purchase a subsidized phone, your monthly bill will go up $25/month for 24 months to pay for that phone subsidy.  If you purchase an off-contract phone yourself, you may pay as much as $450 more for the phone, but you'll save $600 in service charges over the course of 2 years.

When you purchase a new subsidized phone under contract, you are just having to pay the higher rate for your service to subsidize that cheaper phone.  AT&T just took the approach of offering customers who were under contract prioer to 02/01/2014 this reduced price service fee as an incentive to get them to move from their older plans to one of these newer Mobile Share plans.  The other side effect is that customers will "get used to" this lower monthly bill, and be more inclined to purchase an off-contract phone when their current contract expires just to keep the lower service rate too.  Over the course of 2 years, it could save a customer as much as $150, which is not an insignificant amount of money...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Mobile Share Value Plan

129 of 574 (2,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 5:33:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

GeekBoy wrote:

People are so entrenched in the subsidized phone model, many just can't get on board with paying full price for their phones even though it works out costing less but it is clear that all of the carriers are trying to get out of the subsidized phone business. To the OP's question, is Tmobile or Sprint any better, Tmobile is the carrier that started the "pay full price for your phone" trend. I don't think they even offer subsidized phones any more. 

GeekBoy wrote:

People are so entrenched in the subsidized phone model, many just can't get on board with paying full price for their phones even though it works out costing less but it is clear that all of the carriers are trying to get out of the subsidized phone business. To the OP's question, is Tmobile or Sprint any better, Tmobile is the carrier that started the "pay full price for your phone" trend. I don't think they even offer subsidized phones any more. 

130 of 574 (2,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 8:37:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

We are just a few of the victims of this very bad marketing scheme.

We are just a few of the victims of this very bad marketing scheme.

131 of 574 (2,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 8:44:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have been totally misinformed by att about this plan. Before switching I had a lengthy conversation with a representative so I could make an educated decision on whether i wanted to switch. I was repeated told that switching would not have any effect on my upgrades which all four of our lines had due. we switched over and then both my daughters upgraded and then their phone charges went from $15 per phone to $40.This will make my plan more expensive then what it was prior. I called and spoke to a supervisor who stated he couldnt help me but would request a call from his supervisor for me that i would recieve in 24 to 74 hours. 2 weeks later no call. I called again today and this supervisor was noce and wanted to help because he saw that I was completely misinformed and agreed the charges were unfair based on information I was given but said his system will not allow him to help me and fix this problem. I have been a customer for over a decade and think this misrepresentation is completely unacceptable and an unfair business practice. I should not be charged for things I was told would not be the case and should be given an option to have this corrected by someone

I have been totally misinformed by att about this plan. Before switching I had a lengthy conversation with a representative so I could make an educated decision on whether i wanted to switch. I was repeated told that switching would not have any effect on my upgrades which all four of our lines had due. we switched over and then both my daughters upgraded and then their phone charges went from $15 per phone to $40.This will make my plan more expensive then what it was prior. I called and spoke to a supervisor who stated he couldnt help me but would request a call from his supervisor for me that i would recieve in 24 to 74 hours. 2 weeks later no call. I called again today and this supervisor was noce and wanted to help because he saw that I was completely misinformed and agreed the charges were unfair based on information I was given but said his system will not allow him to help me and fix this problem. I have been a customer for over a decade and think this misrepresentation is completely unacceptable and an unfair business practice. I should not be charged for things I was told would not be the case and should be given an option to have this corrected by someone

132 of 574 (2,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 8:47:26 AM
(0)
Employee

You say your daughters upgraded their phones? did they get smartphones? if so the system will automaticly add the 25.00 data plan to any smart phone. Theres no way around this, if you have a smart phone you get the data plan. I found this out the hard way when my kids decided to go in and purchase iphones for themselves and got a bill for an additional 50.00.

You say your daughters upgraded their phones? did they get smartphones? if so the system will automaticly add the 25.00 data plan to any smart phone. Theres no way around this, if you have a smart phone you get the data plan. I found this out the hard way when my kids decided to go in and purchase iphones for themselves and got a bill for an additional 50.00.

Re: completely being ripped off by customer service reps that misrepresent mobile share plan

133 of 574 (2,152 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 9:13:24 AM
(1)
Teacher

They both already had Iphones when we switched to plan. They upgraded their iphones to another iphone. Before switching to plan I questioned service rep repeatedly on how upgrades would affect plan and he repeatedly stated we could upgrade as we always have with NO effect on plan. Our cost would remain $160 a month. This statement was clearly misleading and untrue

They both already had Iphones when we switched to plan. They upgraded their iphones to another iphone. Before switching to plan I questioned service rep repeatedly on how upgrades would affect plan and he repeatedly stated we could upgrade as we always have with NO effect on plan. Our cost would remain $160 a month. This statement was clearly misleading and untrue

Re: completely being ripped off by customer service reps that misrepresent mobile share plan

134 of 574 (2,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 9:18:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

as well as we ALL have had smartphones for years. I was told the mobile share plane would reduce my monthly cost from $260 a month to $160 a month. It would NOT have any effect on any upgrades we had coming to us and upgrading would change nothing. This clearly was and is misleading. This is ATT policy and it was violated

AT&T's Code of Ethics - Fair Dealing:

VIII. Fair Dealing

We have a history of succeeding through honest business competition. We do not seek competitive advantages through illegal or unethical business practices. Each employee, officer and director should endeavor to deal fairly with the Company's customers, service providers, suppliers, competitors and employees. No employee, officer or director should take unfair advantage of anyone through manipulation, concealment, abuse of privileged information, misrepresentation of material facts, or any unfair dealing practice.

as well as we ALL have had smartphones for years. I was told the mobile share plane would reduce my monthly cost from $260 a month to $160 a month. It would NOT have any effect on any upgrades we had coming to us and upgrading would change nothing. This clearly was and is misleading. This is ATT policy and it was violated

VIII. Fair Dealing

We have a history of succeeding through honest business competition. We do not seek competitive advantages through illegal or unethical business practices. Each employee, officer and director should endeavor to deal fairly with the Company's customers, service providers, suppliers, competitors and employees. No employee, officer or director should take unfair advantage of anyone through manipulation, concealment, abuse of privileged information, misrepresentation of material facts, or any unfair dealing practice.

135 of 574 (2,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 9:48:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

cla12170 wrote:

I have been totally misinformed by att about this plan. Before switching I had a lengthy conversation with a representative so I could make an educated decision on whether i wanted to switch. I was repeated told that switching would not have any effect on my upgrades which all four of our lines had due. we switched over and then both my daughters upgraded and then their phone charges went from $15 per phone to $40....

What happened to you is exctly what the AT&T web site indicates should happen.  Regretfully, you were mislead when you discussed this with a clerk who helped you.  If you are within your 14 day period, you can return the upgrades, and your daughters can revert back to their old phones and you should be able to get your phone bill reduced back to the previous level.  Once that happens, you can look into the other options for getting new phones.  If you use the NEXT program, you can get them new phones which will not impact your monthly service, but you will be adding a monthly installment for the phone onto your phone bill, and that might be similar to (or maybe more than) the increase from getting a new contract phone.  The other option you would have would be to pay the full price for the new phone and that would prevent other changes to your current monthly bill.  I don't know if they can do this, but you could attempt to "negotiate" a change to your phone service where you pay the full price for the new phone and convert it from subsidized to non-subsidized.  They might be able to do that with you, especially of you are very near your purchase date.

Additionally, you should make sure that you contact AT&T about the clerk who gave you information which was misleading.  When I encountered this issue, I did that, and I was contacted by AT&T about my situation.  They took my information and brought it to the store manager's attention for him to work with that clerk.  They do take those complaint seriously, if you voice them properly.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

cla12170 wrote:

I have been totally misinformed by att about this plan. Before switching I had a lengthy conversation with a representative so I could make an educated decision on whether i wanted to switch. I was repeated told that switching would not have any effect on my upgrades which all four of our lines had due. we switched over and then both my daughters upgraded and then their phone charges went from $15 per phone to $40....

What happened to you is exctly what the AT&T web site indicates should happen.  Regretfully, you were mislead when you discussed this with a clerk who helped you.  If you are within your 14 day period, you can return the upgrades, and your daughters can revert back to their old phones and you should be able to get your phone bill reduced back to the previous level.  Once that happens, you can look into the other options for getting new phones.  If you use the NEXT program, you can get them new phones which will not impact your monthly service, but you will be adding a monthly installment for the phone onto your phone bill, and that might be similar to (or maybe more than) the increase from getting a new contract phone.  The other option you would have would be to pay the full price for the new phone and that would prevent other changes to your current monthly bill.  I don't know if they can do this, but you could attempt to "negotiate" a change to your phone service where you pay the full price for the new phone and convert it from subsidized to non-subsidized.  They might be able to do that with you, especially of you are very near your purchase date.

Additionally, you should make sure that you contact AT&T about the clerk who gave you information which was misleading.  When I encountered this issue, I did that, and I was contacted by AT&T about my situation.  They took my information and brought it to the store manager's attention for him to work with that clerk.  They do take those complaint seriously, if you voice them properly.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

136 of 574 (2,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 10:36:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

The problem is that AT&T agents need to TELL customers that they're going to increase their plan. I asked at least a dozen times when I was agreeing to it and was told over and over again that nothing was changing. It was an outright lie.

The problem is that AT&T agents need to TELL customers that they're going to increase their plan. I asked at least a dozen times when I was agreeing to it and was told over and over again that nothing was changing. It was an outright lie.

137 of 574 (2,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 10:39:15 AM
(0)
Mentor

There IS NO FINE PRINT when you're on the phone with an agent. They need to be honest with customers and tell the truth about the hidden costs. I asked repeatedly and they kept telling me there was no cost change.

There IS NO FINE PRINT when you're on the phone with an agent. They need to be honest with customers and tell the truth about the hidden costs. I asked repeatedly and they kept telling me there was no cost change.

138 of 574 (2,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 10:58:58 AM
(0)
Teacher
It is past the 14 days. One phone did cost $190 already at the upgrade time and rickmagley is correct. I was on the phone with customer service when told of the plan and asked repeatedly and was repeatedly not told correct info. This obviously is what has happened to many people and att should correct the issue for those of us who were told that. I have been told by a supervisor he agrees he should fix this for me but att system will not allow him to. They should legally be held accountable to disclose all the information. I will be writing a formal complaint to att as well as state attorney general and BBB. I will also be contacted my local consumer advocacy group. Its inexcusable for so many att employees to get away with misleading and misinforming customers and then when you see your outrageous bill to just say sorry that happened but we can't do anything for you. I also did ask to just return to my old plan and was told sorry its a grandfathered plan so we can't even do that. On this plan I will end up paying more than my old plan when I was told I would save about $100. I refuse to just sit back and allow a corporation to just let their employees behave so poorly. Its unethical.
It is past the 14 days. One phone did cost $190 already at the upgrade time and rickmagley is correct. I was on the phone with customer service when told of the plan and asked repeatedly and was repeatedly not told correct info. This obviously is what has happened to many people and att should correct the issue for those of us who were told that. I have been told by a supervisor he agrees he should fix this for me but att system will not allow him to. They should legally be held accountable to disclose all the information. I will be writing a formal complaint to att as well as state attorney general and BBB. I will also be contacted my local consumer advocacy group. Its inexcusable for so many att employees to get away with misleading and misinforming customers and then when you see your outrageous bill to just say sorry that happened but we can't do anything for you. I also did ask to just return to my old plan and was told sorry its a grandfathered plan so we can't even do that. On this plan I will end up paying more than my old plan when I was told I would save about $100. I refuse to just sit back and allow a corporation to just let their employees behave so poorly. Its unethical.

139 of 574 (2,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 2:14:42 PM
(0)
Expert

cla12170 wrote:

VIII. Fair Dealing

It is also on the TV add at the bottom of the screen

cla12170 wrote:

VIII. Fair Dealing

It is also on the TV add at the bottom of the screen

140 of 574 (2,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 2:27:04 PM
(0)
Teacher
Wingrider whether its on the website and tv is irrelavant. I was not watching tv or on website. I was getting information from an att employee via the phone. They gave me information that was false repeatedly. The company should either educate their employees on their product correctly so they do not mislead or stand up and take responsibility for them misleading their customers. Piont blank. And I am clearly not the only one who has been misinformed or mislead. Many others that have been
Wingrider whether its on the website and tv is irrelavant. I was not watching tv or on website. I was getting information from an att employee via the phone. They gave me information that was false repeatedly. The company should either educate their employees on their product correctly so they do not mislead or stand up and take responsibility for them misleading their customers. Piont blank. And I am clearly not the only one who has been misinformed or mislead. Many others that have been

141 of 574 (2,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 5:27:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

Reading these comments now help me understand why I'm being charged so much despite the AT&T representative telling my daughter and I that our 4 lines would cost $160/mo when she purchased her phone from him at the END of February.  The AT&T phone she had for only a year completely died after it was serviced 2-3 times already.  The representative did not mention she would have had to purchase her phone prior to Feb 2nd to qualify for $160/mo.  We're stuck now for 2 more years. 

Reading these comments now help me understand why I'm being charged so much despite the AT&T representative telling my daughter and I that our 4 lines would cost $160/mo when she purchased her phone from him at the END of February.  The AT&T phone she had for only a year completely died after it was serviced 2-3 times already.  The representative did not mention she would have had to purchase her phone prior to Feb 2nd to qualify for $160/mo.  We're stuck now for 2 more years. 

142 of 574 (2,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 5:43:19 PM
(0)
Teacher
That's the problem bclynn3. None of us that have been misled by an att employee should have to just suck it up and pay money we were told we wouldn't have to pay for the next two years. Att should step up and make good on correcting these issues. I shouldn't have to have an att comercial on or search the website and read fine print to get the truth disclosed. I should be able to have a conversation with their sales reps and get accurate reliable pricing.
That's the problem bclynn3. None of us that have been misled by an att employee should have to just suck it up and pay money we were told we wouldn't have to pay for the next two years. Att should step up and make good on correcting these issues. I shouldn't have to have an att comercial on or search the website and read fine print to get the truth disclosed. I should be able to have a conversation with their sales reps and get accurate reliable pricing.

143 of 574 (2,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 6:44:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

I got screwed because one of my lines had been upgradeable (by a year or so) but I hadn't bothered to do so because I didn't care enough at that point and wasn't awere that I was forfeiting my upgrade. Very annoyed. This is totally misleading. When I log on and click on upgrade eligibility it tells me that I am eligible for a free phone with a 2-year contract renewal. The "free phone" will cost me an increase in monthly costs of $25! What kind of "free" is that.

Annoyed in Seattle

I got screwed because one of my lines had been upgradeable (by a year or so) but I hadn't bothered to do so because I didn't care enough at that point and wasn't awere that I was forfeiting my upgrade. Very annoyed. This is totally misleading. When I log on and click on upgrade eligibility it tells me that I am eligible for a free phone with a 2-year contract renewal. The "free phone" will cost me an increase in monthly costs of $25! What kind of "free" is that.

Annoyed in Seattle

Shared Value Plan forfeits existing (free) upgrade eligiblity

144 of 574 (2,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2014 7:21:45 PM
(0)
Teacher
I wonder when the att employees that read these forums will actually step up and make effort to direct those of us that havebeen misled to whom can help us since customer service supervisors claim there is nothing they can do. A simple sorry really just doesn't cut that I will have to pay a minimum of $1200 over the next 2 years I was told I would not be paying. As I said earlier I will be writing a formal complaint to corporate as well as state attorney general and fcc. I urge the rest of you that have been misled to do the same.
I wonder when the att employees that read these forums will actually step up and make effort to direct those of us that havebeen misled to whom can help us since customer service supervisors claim there is nothing they can do. A simple sorry really just doesn't cut that I will have to pay a minimum of $1200 over the next 2 years I was told I would not be paying. As I said earlier I will be writing a formal complaint to corporate as well as state attorney general and fcc. I urge the rest of you that have been misled to do the same.

145 of 574 (2,022 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 6:06:51 AM
(0)
Master

axman98 wrote:

Annoyed in Seattle

The same kind of "free" that subsidized phones have always been. Smiley Wink  The difference is that with the MSV plans, if you bring your own phone or purchase one outright from at&t/use the Next plan, you don't have to pay a monthly line of service fee that's always been inflated in order for at&t to recoup their device subsidy.

All that said - while it certainly isn't "OK" for agents to mislead customers, I would never believe anything an agent (of any business) told me unless I can verify (even if that's not done until after the purchase) that it is consistent with what the company states in their written terms and documentation.  And then I'd make active use of the return period if the "real" deal isn't what I was told and/or isn't satisfactory afterall.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

axman98 wrote:

Annoyed in Seattle

The same kind of "free" that subsidized phones have always been. Smiley Wink  The difference is that with the MSV plans, if you bring your own phone or purchase one outright from at&t/use the Next plan, you don't have to pay a monthly line of service fee that's always been inflated in order for at&t to recoup their device subsidy.

All that said - while it certainly isn't "OK" for agents to mislead customers, I would never believe anything an agent (of any business) told me unless I can verify (even if that's not done until after the purchase) that it is consistent with what the company states in their written terms and documentation.  And then I'd make active use of the return period if the "real" deal isn't what I was told and/or isn't satisfactory afterall.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Re: Shared Value Plan forfeits existing (free) upgrade eligiblity

146 of 574 (1,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 11:31:04 AM
(0)
Expert

cla12170 wrote:

reserch on something before you commit is relevant, do you pick up a phone and call a car dealership and purchase a car without researching it?

cla12170 wrote:

reserch on something before you commit is relevant, do you pick up a phone and call a car dealership and purchase a car without researching it?

147 of 574 (1,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 2:47:03 PM
(0)
Teacher
Wingrider your comparison is irrelevant I don't think anyone purchases cars over the phone. So actually in the past before the internet took over everyone lives you didn't do research in that way. Yes there were ways to look into things but you spoke to company representatives and received information and based your decision on that. I should still be able to speak with a sales rep that represents att and recieve accurate information about their product and services. I should be able to trust they are informed and honest. I should not have to research on line whether they are inaccurate and dishonest. Thats a problem in this day and age.
Wingrider your comparison is irrelevant I don't think anyone purchases cars over the phone. So actually in the past before the internet took over everyone lives you didn't do research in that way. Yes there were ways to look into things but you spoke to company representatives and received information and based your decision on that. I should still be able to speak with a sales rep that represents att and recieve accurate information about their product and services. I should be able to trust they are informed and honest. I should not have to research on line whether they are inaccurate and dishonest. Thats a problem in this day and age.

148 of 574 (1,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 11:00:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

After ordering a note 3 online and trying to use the online chat only to be disconnected then phoned a local store to inquire about why it was telling me this phone was not compatiable with my current plan.  I was told that it could be grandfathered in all I needed to do was bring it in when I got it......  Took it in asked them to check my plan and if anything had changed was told everything was fine.  Went and got a smartphone for my daughter at walmart and was told absoutely nothing.  Got my bill and expected the 72.00 activation fee but not the extra $25.00 per phone new fee because of doing a 2 yr contract new plans....

After being a loyal customer for over 4 years, I just want to say THANKS soooooo much for being ever soo helpful when contacting you all by phone and in person for not relaying the extra $50.00 my account is now going to have on my bill.  You see its too late for me to cancel cause the 14 day period for cancelations is over yeaa AT&T bonus for you all.  So in honor of this, after the 2 year commitment is up this will be all the money you will ever be getting from me again.

Sincerely,

Vickie

After ordering a note 3 online and trying to use the online chat only to be disconnected then phoned a local store to inquire about why it was telling me this phone was not compatiable with my current plan.  I was told that it could be grandfathered in all I needed to do was bring it in when I got it......  Took it in asked them to check my plan and if anything had changed was told everything was fine.  Went and got a smartphone for my daughter at walmart and was told absoutely nothing.  Got my bill and expected the 72.00 activation fee but not the extra $25.00 per phone new fee because of doing a 2 yr contract new plans....

After being a loyal customer for over 4 years, I just want to say THANKS soooooo much for being ever soo helpful when contacting you all by phone and in person for not relaying the extra $50.00 my account is now going to have on my bill.  You see its too late for me to cancel cause the 14 day period for cancelations is over yeaa AT&T bonus for you all.  So in honor of this, after the 2 year commitment is up this will be all the money you will ever be getting from me again.

Sincerely,

Vickie

not happy

149 of 574 (1,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 12:43:46 PM
(0)
Employee

Any smartphone added to an AT&T account will generate an additional 25.00 per month for a data plan, it says that anywhere you look online or in the store right on the price card. One thing i did notice was walmart online does not show AT&T as a carrier they sell except for prpaid or gophone cards to add minutes. Im curious did you purchase another carriers phone and use your at&t sim card? Regaedless you should have been told there would be an additional charge per month , but if you were relying on walmart personell to tell you this im not sure they really know about the billing costs or prices and you can hardly blame at&t for walmarts lack of knowledge or communication.

" Took it in asked them to check my plan and if anything had changed was told everything was fine."

Whos is them walmart or at&t store?

"Went and got a smartphone for my daughter at walmart and was told absoutely nothing"

Again was told nothing by at&t or walmart?

Any smartphone added to an AT&T account will generate an additional 25.00 per month for a data plan, it says that anywhere you look online or in the store right on the price card. One thing i did notice was walmart online does not show AT&T as a carrier they sell except for prpaid or gophone cards to add minutes. Im curious did you purchase another carriers phone and use your at&t sim card? Regaedless you should have been told there would be an additional charge per month , but if you were relying on walmart personell to tell you this im not sure they really know about the billing costs or prices and you can hardly blame at&t for walmarts lack of knowledge or communication.

" Took it in asked them to check my plan and if anything had changed was told everything was fine."

Whos is them walmart or at&t store?

"Went and got a smartphone for my daughter at walmart and was told absoutely nothing"

Again was told nothing by at&t or walmart?

Re: not happy

150 of 574 (1,921 Views)