For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

We are just a few of the victims of this very bad marketing scheme.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

I have been totally misinformed by att about this plan. Before switching I had a lengthy conversation with a representative so I could make an educated decision on whether i wanted to switch. I was repeated told that switching would not have any effect on my upgrades which all four of our lines had due. we switched over and then both my daughters upgraded and then their phone charges went from $15 per phone to $40.This will make my plan more expensive then what it was prior. I called and spoke to a supervisor who stated he couldnt help me but would request a call from his supervisor for me that i would recieve in 24 to 74 hours. 2 weeks later no call. I called again today and this supervisor was noce and wanted to help because he saw that I was completely misinformed and agreed the charges were unfair based on information I was given but said his system will not allow him to help me and fix this problem. I have been a customer for over a decade and think this misrepresentation is completely unacceptable and an unfair business practice. I should not be charged for things I was told would not be the case and should be given an option to have this corrected by someone

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

10 years ago

You say your daughters upgraded their phones? did they get smartphones? if so the system will automaticly add the 25.00 data plan to any smart phone. Theres no way around this, if you have a smart phone you get the data plan. I found this out the hard way when my kids decided to go in and purchase iphones for themselves and got a bill for an additional 50.00.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

They both already had Iphones when we switched to plan. They upgraded their iphones to another iphone. Before switching to plan I questioned service rep repeatedly on how upgrades would affect plan and he repeatedly stated we could upgrade as we always have with NO effect on plan. Our cost would remain $160 a month. This statement was clearly misleading and untrue

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

as well as we ALL have had smartphones for years. I was told the mobile share plane would reduce my monthly cost from $260 a month to $160 a month. It would NOT have any effect on any upgrades we had coming to us and upgrading would change nothing. This clearly was and is misleading. This is ATT policy and it was violated

AT&T's Code of Ethics - Fair Dealing:

VIII. Fair Dealing

We have a history of succeeding through honest business competition. We do not seek competitive advantages through illegal or unethical business practices. Each employee, officer and director should endeavor to deal fairly with the Company's customers, service providers, suppliers, competitors and employees. No employee, officer or director should take unfair advantage of anyone through manipulation, concealment, abuse of privileged information, misrepresentation of material facts, or any unfair dealing practice.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@cla12170 wrote:

I have been totally misinformed by att about this plan. Before switching I had a lengthy conversation with a representative so I could make an educated decision on whether i wanted to switch. I was repeated told that switching would not have any effect on my upgrades which all four of our lines had due. we switched over and then both my daughters upgraded and then their phone charges went from $15 per phone to $40....

What happened to you is exctly what the AT&T web site indicates should happen.  Regretfully, you were mislead when you discussed this with a clerk who helped you.  If you are within your 14 day period, you can return the upgrades, and your daughters can revert back to their old phones and you should be able to get your phone bill reduced back to the previous level.  Once that happens, you can look into the other options for getting new phones.  If you use the NEXT program, you can get them new phones which will not impact your monthly service, but you will be adding a monthly installment for the phone onto your phone bill, and that might be similar to (or maybe more than) the increase from getting a new contract phone.  The other option you would have would be to pay the full price for the new phone and that would prevent other changes to your current monthly bill.  I don't know if they can do this, but you could attempt to "negotiate" a change to your phone service where you pay the full price for the new phone and convert it from subsidized to non-subsidized.  They might be able to do that with you, especially of you are very near your purchase date.

Additionally, you should make sure that you contact AT&T about the clerk who gave you information which was misleading.  When I encountered this issue, I did that, and I was contacted by AT&T about my situation.  They took my information and brought it to the store manager's attention for him to work with that clerk.  They do take those complaint seriously, if you voice them properly.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

The problem is that AT&T agents need to TELL customers that they're going to increase their plan. I asked at least a dozen times when I was agreeing to it and was told over and over again that nothing was changing. It was an outright lie.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

There IS NO FINE PRINT when you're on the phone with an agent. They need to be honest with customers and tell the truth about the hidden costs. I asked repeatedly and they kept telling me there was no cost change.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

It is past the 14 days. One phone did cost $190 already at the upgrade time and rickmagley is correct. I was on the phone with customer service when told of the plan and asked repeatedly and was repeatedly not told correct info. This obviously is what has happened to many people and att should correct the issue for those of us who were told that. I have been told by a supervisor he agrees he should fix this for me but att system will not allow him to. They should legally be held accountable to disclose all the information. I will be writing a formal complaint to att as well as state attorney general and BBB. I will also be contacted my local consumer advocacy group. Its inexcusable for so many att employees to get away with misleading and misinforming customers and then when you see your outrageous bill to just say sorry that happened but we can't do anything for you. I also did ask to just return to my old plan and was told sorry its a grandfathered plan so we can't even do that. On this plan I will end up paying more than my old plan when I was told I would save about $100. I refuse to just sit back and allow a corporation to just let their employees behave so poorly. Its unethical.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@cla12170 wrote:

as well as we ALL have had smartphones for years. I was told the mobile share plane would reduce my monthly cost from $260 a month to $160 a month. It would NOT have any effect on any upgrades we had coming to us and upgrading would change nothing. This clearly was and is misleading. This is ATT policy and it was violated

AT&T's Code of Ethics - Fair Dealing:

VIII. Fair Dealing

We have a history of succeeding through honest business competition. We do not seek competitive advantages through illegal or unethical business practices. Each employee, officer and director should endeavor to deal fairly with the Company's customers, service providers, suppliers, competitors and employees. No employee, officer or director should take unfair advantage of anyone through manipulation, concealment, abuse of privileged information, misrepresentation of material facts, or any unfair dealing practice.

0att_next.PNG

It is also on the TV add at the bottom of the screen

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.