Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I don't think it's so much a dig, as a compliment. Some people aren't able to keep their phones in such good care, or be frugal enough to do that. That's fine. They just pay more for their respective needs.

-Alex

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I was lied to about what my bill would be on the new plan for $160, AT&T is charging me over $32 in taxes and told me if I did a cross upgrade my line would stay at $15 instead od &40.  I'm going to drop the line today add a new line to get the $100 credit for adding a new line and pay the early termination fee of $321.  they gave me my Galaxy s4 for free so I'm 1 step ahead of the lying sale team!  

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

Personally, I knew what the pros and cons were by switching to MSV--as it applied to my own situation and needs; I realize that by going with MSV, I would have to pay full price (or partial price plus trade in my current phone purchased under NEXT) if I ever wanted to upgrade to the latest and greatest smartphone but still keep the $15/line deal...but that's a "gamble" I'm willing to take--I plan on keeping/using my iPhone 5 for at least two years.  The main reason I switched from a Family plan to MSV was that I needed a fourth line and after doing the math it would cost me just an extra ~$7/month on my bill to add that fourth line under MSV compared to the ~$40 extra it would have cost me to add it under the old Family plan...plus under MSV I gain unlimited minutes and text on all four lines, plus tethering--not that I really needed the minutes but that's besides the point.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

i've got 6 lines and a tablet and my cost is 210.58 on this new plan.  I was paying 328.04.  Your compaining about taxes that att HAS to charge you.  The taxes are now cheaper since its on the 15 price and not 40.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue trying to switch to the new family plan- (4 lines for $160 with 10g of shared data). I called and spoke with a young woman named LeStar who "helped" me change my father's plan to the shared $160 plan. Originally we had discussed that it would not allow me to select that plan online, and to contact a CS Rep. She commented on how unusual it was and that I actually COULD do that online, but she would assist me. We even talked about if I signed up for the 3 for $140, if I needed to call to add another line, or if I could do that online. She assured me we could do that at that moment, which she did. Now I'm being billed for only the addition of the 10g plan to my current plan AND an addition $40 a month for the phone she added. She did not have autorization to do ANYTHING to my account other than change what was the current plan to the family plan and add another line to make it the 4 for $160. Now I have the same plan I started with only with and additional data charge and an extra phone line charge. The whole purpose was to LOWER my bill, now it is higher than it was before. BEWARE!!! AT&T claims that once a mistake like this has been made by a CSR, there is NOTHING they can do to fix it. Nothing. So if a CSR makes a mistake, you will be the one paying for it. Then he tries to sell me that the current plan I have billed at $200ish a month is the best deal they have. $200>$160 last time I checked. I'm going to contact the fraud department to see what can be done because she was only authorized to change my bill to the selected plan, nothing more, nothing less. No one can make me believe they assume CSR's are perfect and there are no rules in place to protect customers from human error (or just flat out lies!) Also, no where in her 'notes' did it even mention I was calling about the shared plan, only that she added 10g to my bill and a new line. Something fishy when thye can bill you for what they like and you have NO way to fix the mistake THEY made! Has anyone else had an issue with the CSR adding unauthorized changes to your bill? How did they resolve it for you (if at all)

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @ajtarton 

I apologize for any confusion. For the new line, did you get a phone? If so was it purchased with a 2 year contract? In $160 Mobile Share Value plan, 10GB data plan is $100 and 4 out of contract phones are billed $15 each, If you got a phone (or get one in the future) with a 2 year contract discount, the price for that line will increase to $40. Is that what you're seeing?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

No, that isn't what I am seeing. She didn't put me on ANY type of new plan; she just added a new line and added 10g of data, all the while TELLING me I was being put on the 4 for $160. I even asked her point blank if I could add a new line to the 3 lines for 140 and she said it was no problem, thus leading to the changes she applied. Once again, at the end of the call I even asked what my new bill would be and she said "You are on the $160 plan, so it will be 160." My issue isn't understanding what is included in that plan, the issue is she TOLD me she signed me up for that plan, when in fact, all she did was pack on a data package and add a line, never mentioning the fact that I WASN'T getting the plan I authorized her to change my account to. I understand for a new phone the fee is 40 under contract NOW , the issue is she didn't enter anywhere CLOSE to the information she said she did. Plain and simple.  I asked to be placed on the 4 for 160 and she told me that was what I would be getting. I didn't, she didn't, and now I have an extra expense every month. 

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

It's not actually a different plan, but with 10GB or higher, a price is $15 per line without a contract or $40 with the contract, it's automatically adjusted in the system. So did you get a new phone with a two year contract? Since it's account specific and we can't see it, I'm just trying to get a good idea of what plan / phones and contracts you may have. If you'd like, you can speak with one of our Social Media Care managers and they can review your account and give you more specific answers. You can send us a private message here, please include your name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, we added a new line, and everyone wants to focus on that! I know now adding a new line would have been 40 a month. That's not what I have a problem with. The issue is, when I asked her about adding a line, she told me it qualified under the 160. Even went as far to tell me my monthy bill would be 160. Where's the honesty in that? I could see my error if I didn't ask about additional charges, but I did, and was told point blank, period, my bill would be 160. And thanks, but no thanks. I'm at&t'd OUT for today! The only thing I can get is 'not our problem'. If you are offered one price, you should be charged one price.

Scholar

• 

105 Messages

10 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@T-Boy wrote:

You are dreaming if you think the average person can keep a smartphone 4 or 5 years. Lost, broken, stolen, dead battery. etc. Your numbers don't add up. You don't save $50 a month unless there are multiple lines or you had the worse single line plan in America. If you have more than one line wait till one breaks, loses, or has a phone stolen and see how much you save. A new phone will add at least $25 a month to your bill for 26 months. Some might come out but most will not.

Sorry to disapoint you - kept my 3GS until just recently. Still in immaculate condition, no scratches no blemishes, battery atill holding charge. Prior to the 3GS I used a blackberry Pearl.

Why would you disappoint me, I don't care what phone you use. If you want to use a 3GS go ahead and stare at the screen wait for it to function.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.