For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@T-Boy wrote:

@sandblaster wrote:

@rowell65 wrote:

It would still be $15 per line IF you didn't upgrade a line.  Thing is you upgraded a line and now that line is $40.  I recently upgrade one of my lines, and hence, that line is now $40.  Originally, I was paying $30 per line for 5 lines, then AT&T changed the price plan and made it much cheaper, basically half price, resulting in $95 per month savings for me.  But I had to upgrade my phone, so my main phone is now $40 per month.  The rest of my lines aren't due for upgrade this year, so I still come out ahead.  

The thing is, when I upgrade the other 4 lines next year, I will be paying $50 more than I originally started with (from $30 per line to $40).  Then it will become expensive.  

Here is where folks on the new plans considering an upgrade really need to do the math because that "discounted" phone may end up costing you more than paying full price. You will be paying $25 more per month on that line for 2 years. That is $600 over those 2 years. Add to that whatever you paid upfront for the phone plus the upgrade fee and you get the total cost of that discounted phone. So, say you get a new iPhone at $199. The total cost is really $199 + $36 + $600 = $835. Full price for that same phone is much less plus if you use the Next program there is no upgrade fee. 

Or maybe if you stayed on the old plan you pay $199 plus $36 upgrade fee for a 5s and don't pay $650 for a phone. There goes most of the saving you think you got with the MSV plan. This plan is not saving anyone very much.

Everyone's situation is different plus if you are not one of those folks who absolutely has to upgrade as soon as you are eligible, you can save a lot of many on the new plans. You know, some people actually keep the same phone for years. In my own case, my bill is $50 less per month. Over 2 years, that's $1200. When you consider the discount on a smartphone is about $400-$450, the savings on the new plan equates to the savings I'd get on 3 upgrades but of course I only get that savings the old way if I upgrade. In my own case, I expect to use my iPhone 5 for at least 2 more years, probably 3 or 4. What I save on my plan will more than compensate for the next phone I get. 

Again, everone's situation is different so you may not realize the same savings or any savings. However, in case you haven't noticed, all the major carriers are trying to get out of the discounted phone business. I expect it won't be long before the 2 year contract price is no more. I also expect that paying full price will lead to less upgrades which will result in lower phone prices. I believe phones are priced too high and the main reason has been the subsidy from the carriers. 

Scholar

• 

105 Messages

10 years ago

You are dreaming if you think the average person can keep a smartphone 4 or 5 years. Lost, broken, stolen, dead battery. etc. Your numbers don't add up. You don't save $50 a month unless there are multiple lines or you had the worse single line plan in America. If you have more than one line wait till one breaks, loses, or has a phone stolen and see how much you save. A new phone will add at least $25 a month to your bill for 26 months. Some might come out but most will not.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am apparently as dumb as ATT thinks I am because I fell for this too!  When I received my first bill I went back to the store to talk with the manager.  I was told that I was going to pay the extra one way or the other!  We have been att customers for a long time, we have always had contracts.  We don't upgrade our phones until the batteries stop charging.  I paid nothing for my new MOTO X  w 2 year contract and we are paying $20 a month for 26 months for our daughter's with no contract for a total of $529.00 purchased within a week or so of each other!

I am paying $40 a month smartphone access and $25.00 for hers.  My husband's flip phone which was 9.99 is now 25.00. And yet I have a printed quote that said 15.00 per phone.  I know ...fine print!  Anyway the explanation made me feel like I was buying a used car, on the 2nd Tuesday of the month before 7:00PM.  After 7:00 PM it would have been something different unless it was raining.   I will wait until all of our contracts have run out and we will find a company where it's not so complicated.

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

10 years ago

Went into the Corporate store and told them to look at my 5 line account and see what it would cost me to switch to the Shared PLan.  The assured me it would be 175.00, so I switched.  Got the bill and it's $255, which is more than before.  Two of the lines they told me would be only $15 were billed at $40.  I'm switching back. That's just out-right dishonesty.

Former Employee

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

5 Lines that are not under contract (or for contracts signed PRIOR TO 2/2/14 are $15 each added to the $100 data/talk/text bucket which would equal $175. You say your bill is $255 which is $80 higher. If two of your lines are showing as $40 vs $15 that would explain $50 of the difference, not $80. There has to be more to your story. I am assuming you know why or have asked why those two lines are $40 versus $15. The only way that can happen is if you upgraded or started new lines after 2/2/14 and put them under contract. Also, what's the extra $30 for?

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

10 years ago

That's what I was told, but two phones were charged $40 and shouldn't be.  I'll have to go back down there and talk to the person who quoted me the price.  All phones were contracted before February 2.  Taxes and outreagous fees are around $30 plus a few minor charges for text?  Why is that on ther with our family text plan?  Anyway, if they can't adjust this I don't want it.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@T-Boy wrote:

You are dreaming if you think the average person can keep a smartphone 4 or 5 years. Lost, broken, stolen, dead battery. etc. Your numbers don't add up. You don't save $50 a month unless there are multiple lines or you had the worse single line plan in America. If you have more than one line wait till one breaks, loses, or has a phone stolen and see how much you save. A new phone will add at least $25 a month to your bill for 26 months. Some might come out but most will not.

I'm not dreaming at all. My iphone 4 is still in use and in excellent condition. I have no doubt my iPhone 5 will last another 2 years. You are correct that my savings are on a multi line plan. Single line plans won't get the same savings, if any. Your argument about the cost to replace a lost or stolen phone does not really hold either because you can't get a new discounted phone until your contract has expired. If you have to replace your phone while under contract, you will pay full price too. Also, there are two installment options on Next, 20 and 26 months. There are a number of phones that are $25 or less a month for 20 months. 

Scholar

• 

105 Messages

10 years ago

If you lose your phone under either plan before the contract is over you are screwed on both. If you lose your phone after the contract period you pay a lot more for a new phone on the Share plan. I agree if you can keep your phone 4 or 5 years you come out better. Of course if I was selling AT&T products wouldn't I look cool with a 4 year old technology.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@T-Boy wrote:

Sorry to disapoint you - kept my 3GS until just recently. Still in immaculate condition, no scratches no blemishes, battery atill holding charge. Prior to the 3GS I used a blackberry Pearl.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@T-Boy wrote:

If you lose your phone under either plan before the contract is over you are screwed on both. If you lose your phone after the contract period you pay a lot more for a new phone on the Share plan. I agree if you can keep your phone 4 or 5 years you come out better. Of course if I was selling AT&T products wouldn't I look cool with a 4 year old technology.

I guess that last comment was some sort of dig but I don't work on sales, I don't even work in wireless, I'm just another customer.  ATT is a pretty big company, you know. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.