Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@urbhusker wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@urbhusker wrote:

Do the math.  Signing a contract will be more expensive than either buying the phone outright or paying for it on the NEXT plan.  Consider the LG G2.  two year contract costs $100 for the phone, $36 for activation and $40/mo for 24 months or $1100 ($1096).  On Next 12 it is $23.25 for 20 months plus $15/mo for those 20 months for a total of $765!  Or pay for the phone outright and it's still $765 for the 20 months.  Add four months to make it a full 2 years and you're paying $825.   Much less than buying on contract in this one example.

One correction - there is a activation fee on the Mobiel Value Share plans

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

What is the smartphone activation fee if a customer brings their own device?

A $36 activation fee applies for customers bringing their own device.

Hmmm, I just upgraded two lines using NEXT last week and the week before and wasn't charged an activation fee.  Thought that was just for contract renews.  Doesn't matter as the cost, at least for the G2, is still cheaper than a 2 year contract upgrade.  So, for me, I like the new plan as I did my homework and did the math before upgrading (as opposed to just complaining for the sake of complaining).

wait for your first bill after the upgrade and see what is there - the activation fees are on the bill

We have switched 3 smartphones and one feature phone to MSV, then I upgraded the 4th line to a smartphone a week later by bringing my own device. My first bill after the switch didn't include any activation fees and my first bill after the upgrade didn't include an activation fee either.

Also, activation fee has always referred to new plans/new lines. Upgrade fee referred to buying a new device under contract at subsidized price.

Scholar

• 

105 Messages

10 years ago

The next plan makes you pay taxes on the cost of the phone but no upgrade fee. I not sure if an activation fee applies because you are already an active account.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@urbhusker wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@urbhusker wrote:

Do the math.  Signing a contract will be more expensive than either buying the phone outright or paying for it on the NEXT plan.  Consider the LG G2.  two year contract costs $100 for the phone, $36 for activation and $40/mo for 24 months or $1100 ($1096).  On Next 12 it is $23.25 for 20 months plus $15/mo for those 20 months for a total of $765!  Or pay for the phone outright and it's still $765 for the 20 months.  Add four months to make it a full 2 years and you're paying $825.   Much less than buying on contract in this one example.

Hmmm, I just upgraded two lines using NEXT last week and the week before and wasn't charged an activation fee.  Thought that was just for contract renews.  Doesn't matter as the cost, at least for the G2, is still cheaper than a 2 year contract upgrade.  So, for me, I like the new plan as I did my homework and did the math before upgrading (as opposed to just complaining for the sake of complaining).

wait for your first bill after the upgrade and see what is there - the activation fees are on the bill

First, urbhusker said that he upgraded two lines using Next.  Your link referenced the Mobile Share Value plans.  These are two different things.  The relevant link is found here.  It says that there are no activation and no upgrade fees on the Next program. 

Second, if someone is upgrading with a two-year contract, that person would be charged an upgrade fee, not an activation fee.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

i am having a bill issue as well. after chating with a representative i printed the conversation, i was billed for last month's usage along with next months rates. i tried talking to another agent and was told i would be credited over the next two billing cycles. That just does not make any sense to me. ive been a customer since 2000 and it makes no sense to bill me for what i have not used yet then turn around and credit me for it. i understand if i was a new customer. i was told $15 a phone and charged $40.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

well after my issues I asked to speak with management...im still waiting on that call. Been a day, guess ill have to call tomorrow. customer since 2000, makes no sense billing me for usage I have not used yet.

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@urbhusker wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@urbhusker wrote:

First, urbhusker said that he upgraded two lines using Next.  Your link referenced the Mobile Share Value plans.  These are two different things.  The relevant link is found here.  It says that there are no activation and no upgrade fees on the Next program. 

Second, if someone is upgrading with a two-year contract, that person would be charged an upgrade fee, not an activation fee.

Yes I was already on the 10gb mobile value plan (switched soon after they became available) and upgraded two phones..I mean exchanged/changed/bought....and went with the NEXT plan due to the lower overall cost.  And no, I wasn't charged an activation fee (or any other named fee) but was charged the taxes on the phones.  Better deal than "upgrading" and signing a two year agreement. 

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

@Koapof3 wrote:

i am having a bill issue as well. after chating with a representative i printed the conversation, i was billed for last month's usage along with next months rates. i tried talking to another agent and was told i would be credited over the next two billing cycles. That just does not make any sense to me. ive been a customer since 2000 and it makes no sense to bill me for what i have not used yet then turn around and credit me for it. i understand if i was a new customer. i was told $15 a phone and charged $40.

This is normal

Based on my plan, AT&T sends me the bill for march, in the first week of that month, but my due data is not until the end of the month. If I used more than the plan I paid for in march, then AT&T will add the extra's to my April bill.

You are paying in advance. By the time the due date comes around, it's only a few days until the end of the cycle, so at best, you might be a few days ahead..

-Alex

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, but that includes tax and other fees or after tax and other fees?

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@siteber wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, but that includes tax and other fees or after tax and other fees?

$160 is pre-tax & fees, so the total will be more.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Have you seen the ads on TV about the 4 lines for $160/month.  Seems great, since I was previously paying over $215/ month for 3 phones for ATT's wireless service.  Well I switched to the new Family share plan for the 3 phones that I had and the cost reduced to $145/month.  BUT THEN I decided to add 1 more phone yesterday for my youngest son and guess what.  It is not an additional $15/month, but an additional $40/month.  Bet you didn't see that in all of the advertising still being shown on TV ads to this day...neither did I.  I bought the phone at Walmart because of the reduced pricing on the phone and the replacement plan.  No one there said anything about $40/month either.  Sounds like a Bait and Switch deal going on here!!!  So today I saw on my bill that it did indeed go up an additional $40, so I called about it and had to talk to a "supervisor" to get the whole story and yet no honoring of the advertisement.  I got the "some restrictions apply" speech.  Well doesn't ATT think that this information about that the deal does not apply to new lines added or anything after Feb 2nd should be clearly plastered all over the advertising and in the dealer stores???   Wait, what, oh yeah never mind, they are attempting to sell you something that you are not actually going to get...........  When I asked the "supervisor" that I could not possibly be the only person that is calling about this same issue, then I got silence and upon my response of "give me a break" he responded with " I cannot lie, you are one of many..."  I feel as if I have been betrayed by false advertising and stripped of $25/month extra for as long as I have a contract with ATT.  ATT needs to rethink their advertising methods as I am sure that this is going to get them serious negative attention.  I certainly will not recommend this to anyone that I know who is considering ATT.  I have not always been pleased with ATT, but today I am.  I will say that the 2 persons that I spoke with at ATT were polite and the "supervisor" attempted to pacify me with a $100 credit for the misleading advertising, but I want $600 credit divided into $25 monthly increments applied to my account for the next 24 months.  Once this happens, I will be happy with ATT again and will consider to stay with them after the contract is complete.

[word filter avoidance]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.