Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Teacher

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Message 1 of 574 (115,535 Views)
Explorer

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

 Do the math.  Signing a contract will be more expensive than either buying the phone outright or paying for it on the NEXT plan.  Consider the LG G2.  two year contract costs $100 for the phone, $36 for activation and $40/mo for 24 months or $1100 ($1096).  On Next 12 it is $23.25 for 20 months plus $15/mo for those 20 months for a total of $765!  Or pay for the phone outright and it's still $765 for the 20 months.  Add four months to make it a full 2 years and you're paying $825.   Much less than buying on contract in this one example.

Message 31 of 574 (7,440 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!


urbhusker wrote:

 Do the math.  Signing a contract will be more expensive than either buying the phone outright or paying for it on the NEXT plan.  Consider the LG G2.  two year contract costs $100 for the phone, $36 for activation and $40/mo for 24 months or $1100 ($1096).  On Next 12 it is $23.25 for 20 months plus $15/mo for those 20 months for a total of $765!  Or pay for the phone outright and it's still $765 for the 20 months.  Add four months to make it a full 2 years and you're paying $825.   Much less than buying on contract in this one example.


One correction - there is a activation fee on the Mobiel Value Share plans

 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

 

What is the smartphone activation fee if a customer brings their own device?

A $36 activation fee applies for customers bringing their own device.

Message 32 of 574 (7,435 Views)
Teacher

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

So last night after sending a private message I got a call from AT&T about my billing problem.

 

As most people are thinking here, yes you are supposed to get that $15/line price immediately. However, there is a bug/glitch in the system that will not reflect it correctly if you future date the plan change. According to the man I spoke with that bug has since then been fixed, but probably impacted people who switched prior to maybe the last week or so. He went ahead and applied the overpaid amount from my previous bill as a credit on the next bill, so things should be correct in future bills.

Message 33 of 574 (7,402 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!


ecmillan wrote:

So last night after sending a private message I got a call from AT&T about my billing problem.

 

As most people are thinking here, yes you are supposed to get that $15/line price immediately. However, there is a bug/glitch in the system that will not reflect it correctly if you future date the plan change. According to the man I spoke with that bug has since then been fixed, but probably impacted people who switched prior to maybe the last week or so. He went ahead and applied the overpaid amount from my previous bill as a credit on the next bill, so things should be correct in future bills.


Good info. That would explain why it all went without a hitch for us as we made the switch on the first day of the billing cycle.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 574 (7,394 Views)
Explorer

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!


wingrider01 wrote:

urbhusker wrote:

 Do the math.  Signing a contract will be more expensive than either buying the phone outright or paying for it on the NEXT plan.  Consider the LG G2.  two year contract costs $100 for the phone, $36 for activation and $40/mo for 24 months or $1100 ($1096).  On Next 12 it is $23.25 for 20 months plus $15/mo for those 20 months for a total of $765!  Or pay for the phone outright and it's still $765 for the 20 months.  Add four months to make it a full 2 years and you're paying $825.   Much less than buying on contract in this one example.


One correction - there is a activation fee on the Mobiel Value Share plans

 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

 

What is the smartphone activation fee if a customer brings their own device?

A $36 activation fee applies for customers bringing their own device.


Hmmm, I just upgraded two lines using NEXT last week and the week before and wasn't charged an activation fee.  Thought that was just for contract renews.  Doesn't matter as the cost, at least for the G2, is still cheaper than a 2 year contract upgrade.  So, for me, I like the new plan as I did my homework and did the math before upgrading (as opposed to just complaining for the sake of complaining).

Message 35 of 574 (7,384 Views)
Professor

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!


wingrider01 wrote:

urbhusker wrote:

 Do the math.  Signing a contract will be more expensive than either buying the phone outright or paying for it on the NEXT plan.  Consider the LG G2.  two year contract costs $100 for the phone, $36 for activation and $40/mo for 24 months or $1100 ($1096).  On Next 12 it is $23.25 for 20 months plus $15/mo for those 20 months for a total of $765!  Or pay for the phone outright and it's still $765 for the 20 months.  Add four months to make it a full 2 years and you're paying $825.   Much less than buying on contract in this one example.


One correction - there is a activation fee on the Mobiel Value Share plans

 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

 

What is the smartphone activation fee if a customer brings their own device?

A $36 activation fee applies for customers bringing their own device.


Activation fees are for new customers.  An existing customer who upgrades shouldn't have to pay an upgrade fee with the Next plan.

Message 36 of 574 (7,373 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

NEXT is not officially an upgrade, you are changing phones. An upgrade causes a new 2 year contract,NEXT doesn't. NEXT is just an agreement to buy a phone. As AT&T looks at it, it isn't really an upgrade.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 37 of 574 (7,377 Views)
Explorer

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!


kdfederer wrote:
NEXT is not officially an upgrade, you are changing phones. An upgrade causes a new 2 year contract,NEXT doesn't. NEXT is just an agreement to buy a phone. As AT&T looks at it, it isn't really an upgrade.

And?  It's still cheaper than "upgrading".   I changed phones because it's cheaper than an "upgrade". and I was ready to try a new phone.  Plus I'm not really in a contract.  I just was pointing out the NEXT plan is a nice option for people to save money contrary to what a lot of people are saying on the forums (people that complain just to complain and don't bother to research first).  Yes, AT&T cell service is still expensive but for me it's the cheapest option by far outside of T-Mobile (and T-Mobile isn't a real option in central Iowa...even if they were AT&T is neck and neck in pricing now). 

Message 38 of 574 (7,361 Views)
Professor

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!


urbhusker wrote:

kdfederer wrote:
NEXT is not officially an upgrade, you are changing phones. An upgrade causes a new 2 year contract,NEXT doesn't. NEXT is just an agreement to buy a phone. As AT&T looks at it, it isn't really an upgrade.

And?  It's still cheaper than "upgrading".   I changed phones because it's cheaper than an "upgrade". and I was ready to try a new phone.  Plus I'm not really in a contract.  I just was pointing out the NEXT plan is a nice option for people to save money contrary to what a lot of people are saying on the forums (people that complain just to complain and don't bother to research first).  Yes, AT&T cell service is still expensive but for me it's the cheapest option by far outside of T-Mobile (and T-Mobile isn't a real option in central Iowa...even if they were AT&T is neck and neck in pricing now). 


I think that kdfederer was responding to my response to wingrider01's post. 

 

Everyone doesn't save money with the Next plan.  Each person has to do the math to compare the current plan and the Next option to see which works best for him/her.  For some, Next plus Mobile Share Value is cheaper; for others, the two-year contract with an old plan is cheaper.

Message 39 of 574 (7,345 Views)
Expert

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!


urbhusker wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

urbhusker wrote:

 Do the math.  Signing a contract will be more expensive than either buying the phone outright or paying for it on the NEXT plan.  Consider the LG G2.  two year contract costs $100 for the phone, $36 for activation and $40/mo for 24 months or $1100 ($1096).  On Next 12 it is $23.25 for 20 months plus $15/mo for those 20 months for a total of $765!  Or pay for the phone outright and it's still $765 for the 20 months.  Add four months to make it a full 2 years and you're paying $825.   Much less than buying on contract in this one example.


One correction - there is a activation fee on the Mobiel Value Share plans

 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

 

What is the smartphone activation fee if a customer brings their own device?

A $36 activation fee applies for customers bringing their own device.


Hmmm, I just upgraded two lines using NEXT last week and the week before and wasn't charged an activation fee.  Thought that was just for contract renews.  Doesn't matter as the cost, at least for the G2, is still cheaper than a 2 year contract upgrade.  So, for me, I like the new plan as I did my homework and did the math before upgrading (as opposed to just complaining for the sake of complaining).


wait for your first bill after the upgrade and see what is there - the activation fees are on the bill

Message 40 of 574 (7,336 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

[ Edited ]

wingrider01 wrote:

urbhusker wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

urbhusker wrote:

 Do the math.  Signing a contract will be more expensive than either buying the phone outright or paying for it on the NEXT plan.  Consider the LG G2.  two year contract costs $100 for the phone, $36 for activation and $40/mo for 24 months or $1100 ($1096).  On Next 12 it is $23.25 for 20 months plus $15/mo for those 20 months for a total of $765!  Or pay for the phone outright and it's still $765 for the 20 months.  Add four months to make it a full 2 years and you're paying $825.   Much less than buying on contract in this one example.


One correction - there is a activation fee on the Mobiel Value Share plans

 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

 

What is the smartphone activation fee if a customer brings their own device?

A $36 activation fee applies for customers bringing their own device.


Hmmm, I just upgraded two lines using NEXT last week and the week before and wasn't charged an activation fee.  Thought that was just for contract renews.  Doesn't matter as the cost, at least for the G2, is still cheaper than a 2 year contract upgrade.  So, for me, I like the new plan as I did my homework and did the math before upgrading (as opposed to just complaining for the sake of complaining).


wait for your first bill after the upgrade and see what is there - the activation fees are on the bill


We have switched 3 smartphones and one feature phone to MSV, then I upgraded the 4th line to a smartphone a week later by bringing my own device. My first bill after the switch didn't include any activation fees and my first bill after the upgrade didn't include an activation fee either.

 

Also, activation fee has always referred to new plans/new lines. Upgrade fee referred to buying a new device under contract at subsidized price.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 41 of 574 (7,339 Views)
Scholar

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

The next plan makes you pay taxes on the cost of the phone but no upgrade fee. I not sure if an activation fee applies because you are already an active account.

Message 42 of 574 (7,326 Views)
Professor

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!


wingrider01 wrote:

urbhusker wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

urbhusker wrote:

 Do the math.  Signing a contract will be more expensive than either buying the phone outright or paying for it on the NEXT plan.  Consider the LG G2.  two year contract costs $100 for the phone, $36 for activation and $40/mo for 24 months or $1100 ($1096).  On Next 12 it is $23.25 for 20 months plus $15/mo for those 20 months for a total of $765!  Or pay for the phone outright and it's still $765 for the 20 months.  Add four months to make it a full 2 years and you're paying $825.   Much less than buying on contract in this one example.


One correction - there is a activation fee on the Mobiel Value Share plans

 

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=yKiX0roX6QJ

 

What is the smartphone activation fee if a customer brings their own device?

A $36 activation fee applies for customers bringing their own device.


Hmmm, I just upgraded two lines using NEXT last week and the week before and wasn't charged an activation fee.  Thought that was just for contract renews.  Doesn't matter as the cost, at least for the G2, is still cheaper than a 2 year contract upgrade.  So, for me, I like the new plan as I did my homework and did the math before upgrading (as opposed to just complaining for the sake of complaining).


wait for your first bill after the upgrade and see what is there - the activation fees are on the bill


First, urbhusker said that he upgraded two lines using Next.  Your link referenced the Mobile Share Value plans.  These are two different things.  The relevant link is found here.  It says that there are no activation and no upgrade fees on the Next program. 

 

Second, if someone is upgrading with a two-year contract, that person would be charged an upgrade fee, not an activation fee.

Message 43 of 574 (7,311 Views)
Contributor

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

i am having a bill issue as well. after chating with a representative i printed the conversation, i was billed for last month's usage along with next months rates. i tried talking to another agent and was told i would be credited over the next two billing cycles. That just does not make any sense to me. ive been a customer since 2000 and it makes no sense to bill me for what i have not used yet then turn around and credit me for it. i understand if i was a new customer. i was told $15 a phone and charged $40.

Message 44 of 574 (7,299 Views)
Contributor

Re: ATT $160 per month for 4 lines is not actually $160!!

well after my issues I asked to speak with management...im still waiting on that call. Been a day, guess ill have to call tomorrow. customer since 2000, makes no sense billing me for usage I have not used yet.
Message 45 of 574 (7,305 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.