For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
QuarryRye's profile

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

Thursday, April 11th, 2019 12:06 AM

Closed

Missing Your BOGO Credits?

​One of the biggest problems we see on these forums goes something like this: "I bought two phones and they were supposed to be BOGO, but I'm being charged for the second phone." It's a simple problem, but the reasons are complex. This article can help figure out what happened and what to do about it.

What are BOGO credits?

BOGO stands for "Buy-One-Get-One." The deal is that you pay monthly installments for a phone on one line, but if you buy a phone on an additional line, you'll receive credits every month that cancel out the installments on that line. If you get the credit every month for the phone, it will be free at the end.

How do you get BOGO credits?

BOGO credits are added by a computer when you buy phones under the right conditions. If you don't see credits on your bill for the phone, 99% of the time, you didn't qualify for them. Let's start digging and see what happened.

1) Has it been over two billing cycles since you bought the phone?

It usually takes 2-3 billing cycles before the credits start. Once the credits start, you'll get credited back for those first few months. So if it's been less than three bills, just wait.

2) Did you pay off the installment plan early?

Some people get the two phones, pay off one phone, and think they'll keep getting a free phone. If you pay off or cancel the "buy" line, the credits will stop on the "free" phone. 

3) Did your account get suspended for non-payment?

BOGO credits require the account to stay in good standing. If your account is suspended because of an unpaid bill, even for a minute, all credits may stop and won't come back. So pay your bill.

Now that we've gotten those out of the way, we need to look into the terms and conditions of the promotion you were offered. You can look up all the deals AT&T has offered for the year by searching att.com/support for "bogo" and the year. For instance, BOGO 2019 is here

4) Did you add a new line?

Almost all BOGO deals require you to add a new line in order to qualify. Upgrading an existing line, transferring a line from prepaid to postpaid, transferring a line from another service that uses AT&T like Cricket, those don't count. If you didn't add a brand-new line of service for at least one of the phones, you don't qualify. The majority of BOGO deal failures seem to fall here, because the customer didn't add a line.

5) Which phones did you buy?

With BOGO deals, you're always required to buy two specific devices, like a Samsung S10 or an iPhone XR. Even buying a different storage capacity (like the 32GB instead of the 256GB) can disqualify you. Check the terms of your BOGO carefully to make sure you bought the right phones.

6) Do you have TV or Internet through AT&T?

This isn't always a requirement, but it's rare when AT&T doesn't require adding additional services to get a BOGO deal. If the terms and conditions say TV or Internet is required, then you would need to already have or buy new TV and/or Internet service with AT&T at the time of buying the phones. DirecTV Now wouldn't count.

In short, if you're in the market for a new phone and want to take advantage of a BOGO, follow these steps:

• Read the terms and conditions of the BOGO on the website or the in-store promotional materials.
  • Double-check to make sure you're getting the right phone, adding a new line, whether you need to have AT&T's TV or Internet.
  • Make sure you wait two billing cycles
  • Pay your bill on time so you don't lose the credits.

If you do all that, enjoy your free phone.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

You are so correct! We have been fighting with them since June 2018

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I am on your side, you can contact me anytime regarding AT&T and their so
called 'BOGO deal'. I feel totally scammed and now stuck paying $200.00 more
a month with at&t than I was with verizon.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I'm told that my credits will be on my next bill cycle over and over. It's been 2 years and I am told this every month. I went to the store and they said 1 week. I waited and waited but nothing.  My service was interrupted because I Was told otherwise.  I just need an answer. I have had the lines for over 2 years and still have had no help from service.  I need help with this and need it now.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I dont want to leave ATT but I am going to be forced too.  Please HELP!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Your reps lie about promotions and don’t respond anymore once they know they’ve been caught in lies. Now I’m stuck with a bill that I would have never agreed to

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

I'm told that my credits will be on my next bill cycle over and over. It's been 2 years and I am told this every month. I went to the store and they said 1 week. I waited and waited but nothing. My service was interrupted because I Was told otherwise. I just need an answer.

If you've been calling every month for two years and no one has put in the credits, you're probably not getting the credits. Did you qualify? If it's been 2 years, aren't the phones almost paid off by now?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

It's very sad to see that I am not the only person being ripped off. I cant believe att is able to get away with this. False promotions made me leave sprint after 16 years. Now I'm being charged double every month. $350 with no job is very hard to do...I just started new employment after 1 year of being laid off and they disconnected my phone in the middle of my conference call. I'm so exhausted over fighting with this company over my bill. Everyone wants to transfer you after they "research" the account only to say it's nothing they can do. No one can see what you are talking about when you reference the original agreed amount or when "loyalty department" said they would fix it. No accountability...absolutely lawless. And I'm stuck picking up the pieces. I want to file a complaint but I'm afraid it will only get lost in the mail everytime I send it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Did this ever get resolved? I am having the same problem. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, I filed a bbb complaint and they fixed it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much.

Teacher

• 

37 Messages

5 years ago

You guys really need to take care of you loyal customers I'm tried of calling you guys over and over. Here is a copy of my BBB complaint.

Complaint Type:
Wireless Complaint

Description of Complaint:
I purchased two Samsung Galaxy S9's on January 31,2019 from Samsung's website threw the AT&T buy one get one free promotion. It has been six months and at least 15 calls to customer service and they just can figured out how to fix this. I have been told every lie in the book and I have shut down every attempt of them trying to find a reason why I may not have qualified. Trust me I have read all there fine print and I have done all of them correctly. I will not accept this treatment after 20 years as a loyal customer. I will be cancelling all services with AT&T and I promise to tell every person I can about this very bad treatment. It's pretty sad all of this over the price of a phone that they offered as free. It's not even about the $22.20 credit that they can't figure out how to fix. I just hate being lied to. Thanks AT&T for 20 years of taking my money every month on time, never late on my payments.

Desired Settlement:Billing Adjustment

Desired Outcome Description:
I need to be reimbursed for all of my previous payments total of 6 ($133.20) and I need my bill to be credited $22.20 for the remaining 24 payments.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.