Need help understanding your bill?
QuarryRye's profile

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

Thursday, April 11th, 2019 12:06 AM

Closed

Missing Your BOGO Credits?

​One of the biggest problems we see on these forums goes something like this: "I bought two phones and they were supposed to be BOGO, but I'm being charged for the second phone." It's a simple problem, but the reasons are complex. This article can help figure out what happened and what to do about it.

What are BOGO credits?

BOGO stands for "Buy-One-Get-One." The deal is that you pay monthly installments for a phone on one line, but if you buy a phone on an additional line, you'll receive credits every month that cancel out the installments on that line. If you get the credit every month for the phone, it will be free at the end.

How do you get BOGO credits?

BOGO credits are added by a computer when you buy phones under the right conditions. If you don't see credits on your bill for the phone, 99% of the time, you didn't qualify for them. Let's start digging and see what happened.

1) Has it been over two billing cycles since you bought the phone?

It usually takes 2-3 billing cycles before the credits start. Once the credits start, you'll get credited back for those first few months. So if it's been less than three bills, just wait.

2) Did you pay off the installment plan early?

Some people get the two phones, pay off one phone, and think they'll keep getting a free phone. If you pay off or cancel the "buy" line, the credits will stop on the "free" phone. 

3) Did your account get suspended for non-payment?

BOGO credits require the account to stay in good standing. If your account is suspended because of an unpaid bill, even for a minute, all credits may stop and won't come back. So pay your bill.

Now that we've gotten those out of the way, we need to look into the terms and conditions of the promotion you were offered. You can look up all the deals AT&T has offered for the year by searching att.com/support for "bogo" and the year. For instance, BOGO 2019 is here

4) Did you add a new line?

Almost all BOGO deals require you to add a new line in order to qualify. Upgrading an existing line, transferring a line from prepaid to postpaid, transferring a line from another service that uses AT&T like Cricket, those don't count. If you didn't add a brand-new line of service for at least one of the phones, you don't qualify. The majority of BOGO deal failures seem to fall here, because the customer didn't add a line.

5) Which phones did you buy?

With BOGO deals, you're always required to buy two specific devices, like a Samsung S10 or an iPhone XR. Even buying a different storage capacity (like the 32GB instead of the 256GB) can disqualify you. Check the terms of your BOGO carefully to make sure you bought the right phones.

6) Do you have TV or Internet through AT&T?

This isn't always a requirement, but it's rare when AT&T doesn't require adding additional services to get a BOGO deal. If the terms and conditions say TV or Internet is required, then you would need to already have or buy new TV and/or Internet service with AT&T at the time of buying the phones. DirecTV Now wouldn't count.

In short, if you're in the market for a new phone and want to take advantage of a BOGO, follow these steps:

• Read the terms and conditions of the BOGO on the website or the in-store promotional materials.
  • Double-check to make sure you're getting the right phone, adding a new line, whether you need to have AT&T's TV or Internet.
  • Make sure you wait two billing cycles
  • Pay your bill on time so you don't lose the credits.

If you do all that, enjoy your free phone.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

5 years ago

Terrible AT&T!!! 

I purchased new phones on October 16, 2018 (6months & 9 days ago) with BOGO promotion. Until now I haven't received any credits for that. The VISA gift card has never arrived either. Everytime I call 611, everyone seems so uneducated/untrained about everything. The supervisor can't solve any problems either. They always say they will escalate the case for me. Their escalator takes forever!!! 

Stop ripping people off AT&T!!!

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

@iwishihadknown 

1) Did your account get suspended for non-payment?
2) Did you upgrade two existing lines or add a new line?
3) Which phones did you buy?
4) Do you have TV or Internet through AT&T?

5) When did you buy the phones?

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

5 years ago

1) no, always pay my bills

2) Yes

3) iphone xs

4) Yes both

5) October 2018

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@QuarryRye All of @iwishihadknown‘s BOGO details were posted on this thread: https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Account/BOGO-messed-up/m-p/5782275#M287923. I’m pretty sure the issue was not opening a new line.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

@iwishihadknown That's why you're not getting credits. There was no BOGO offer in October of 2018. The previous iPhone offer ended on September 25, 2018, and a new one wasn't offered until November 16, 2018.

(edited)

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

5 years ago

That's not true

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

bogo.JPG

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@iwishihadknown wrote:

That's not true

This is every regular BOGO offer in 2018. https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/wireless/pdf/Wireless-BOGO-Offer-2018.pdf   Nothing in October.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

These offers included October, REQUIRED TV and a NEW LINE FOR THE FREE phone. 

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/landingpage/offers/Bundled-BOGO-July-December-2018.pdf

You have not clearly answered the “did you add a new line AND buy the second phone on that line “ question.  If you upgraded existing At&t phone lines, you didn’t qualify. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

5 years ago

so.....the local store that I went to lied to me. GREAT! 

More likely everyone who works for AT&T lies because I'm on the phone with 611 right now, he doesn't say that. I'm also chating via text with one of the managers, she doesn't say that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.