Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 16, 2013
11:49:59 AM
Military discount
I had recently called AT&T to pay my wireless bill and spoke with a nice woman who offered me some information: That I could receive a military discount as long as I took my ID into my local AT&T store. I did not need my husband to be present with me.

I thought, "Great!" As he is states away, stationed on active duty away from me.

So, I go into my local AT&T store in Roseville, MI. Explain what I am there to do. Keep in mind, I have been with AT&T for almost six years at this rate. I tell the gentlemen who is helping me I have my ID with me. And, I'm told no. Because the account is in MY name. Now, my husband is active duty, states away and I am LUCKY to see him a few times a year. I have my OWN ID with my OWN DoD number, which, is NOT my husband's ID number, but no. I am not "allowed" to use that??

Really AT&T?? That ID pretty much recognizes me as a member of an active duty serviceman, gives me my own benefits number and everything. But, sacrificing seeing my husband few times a year so he can serve is apparently enough to your company.

Thank you AT&T, for making my decision to LEAVE your company easier. I have called two other phone companies who would have given me that discount with MY ID alone.

Looks like I will be taking my wireless AND U-Verse business elsewhere.
I had recently called AT&T to pay my wireless bill and spoke with a nice woman who offered me some information: That I could receive a military discount as long as I took my ID into my local AT&T store. I did not need my husband to be present with me.

I thought, "Great!" As he is states away, stationed on active duty away from me.

So, I go into my local AT&T store in Roseville, MI. Explain what I am there to do. Keep in mind, I have been with AT&T for almost six years at this rate. I tell the gentlemen who is helping me I have my ID with me. And, I'm told no. Because the account is in MY name. Now, my husband is active duty, states away and I am LUCKY to see him a few times a year. I have my OWN ID with my OWN DoD number, which, is NOT my husband's ID number, but no. I am not "allowed" to use that??

Really AT&T?? That ID pretty much recognizes me as a member of an active duty serviceman, gives me my own benefits number and everything. But, sacrificing seeing my husband few times a year so he can serve is apparently enough to your company.

Thank you AT&T, for making my decision to LEAVE your company easier. I have called two other phone companies who would have given me that discount with MY ID alone.

Looks like I will be taking my wireless AND U-Verse business elsewhere.

Military discount

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2013 12:15:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
On most cell phone companies, to get the discount, the account MUST be in the name of the person eligible for the discount.
You are not military, he is. Yes, that gives you some military conveniences, but that is not how the cell phone providers look at it.
I believe that all the other cell phone companies look at it the same way.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
On most cell phone companies, to get the discount, the account MUST be in the name of the person eligible for the discount.
You are not military, he is. Yes, that gives you some military conveniences, but that is not how the cell phone providers look at it.
I believe that all the other cell phone companies look at it the same way.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Military discount

2 of 6 (6,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2014 2:33:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

With all due respect, I believe that is not true.  The military gives you your own DoD number because it recognizes your service as a spouse. Military wives and husbands sacrifice daily in order to ensure their spouse is mission ready. I am so proud of my husband for everything he has done. However, he will be the first to tell you that he is not the only one making sacrifices for our country. The military is a lifestyle that involves the whole family. WE ARE ARMY.

With all due respect, I believe that is not true.  The military gives you your own DoD number because it recognizes your service as a spouse. Military wives and husbands sacrifice daily in order to ensure their spouse is mission ready. I am so proud of my husband for everything he has done. However, he will be the first to tell you that he is not the only one making sacrifices for our country. The military is a lifestyle that involves the whole family. WE ARE ARMY.

3 of 6 (4,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2014 10:21:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

After 30 years of marriage to a disabled service person I totally agree AT&T's position of the wife/survivor is very unfair  It is like spitting in our face and we are not worth anything attitude that AT&T has in this matter.

A friend of my mothers is getting a discount because she worked for the government not a military member simply worked at bases. Now where is the fair with this when we live with have the kids to raise manage the home property see that things are where they should be when the service member left not running off with the property money kids or family and we also take care of the spouse's family duties while tey are gone?

If nothing else it is a huge slap in the face for the military spouse who gives up one heck of a lot to do what has to be done and yes I hold a valid ID and also have been denied the discount.

After 30 years of marriage to a disabled service person I totally agree AT&T's position of the wife/survivor is very unfair  It is like spitting in our face and we are not worth anything attitude that AT&T has in this matter.

A friend of my mothers is getting a discount because she worked for the government not a military member simply worked at bases. Now where is the fair with this when we live with have the kids to raise manage the home property see that things are where they should be when the service member left not running off with the property money kids or family and we also take care of the spouse's family duties while tey are gone?

If nothing else it is a huge slap in the face for the military spouse who gives up one heck of a lot to do what has to be done and yes I hold a valid ID and also have been denied the discount.

4 of 6 (4,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2016 5:25:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

To all of you military wives ranting and raving, please get over yourselves ASAP. You are not, never have been, and never will be members of the military. No one cares or is impressed by the fact that you're married to someone in the military. They could do their jobs just fine without you. Please stop thinking that your husbands would roll over and die and be unable to complete their military duties without you. You are doing absolutely nothing to help the country. Do you see men married to military members complaining like all of you are always doing? Nope. Just military wives!

- a female vet who had the guts to serve herself, instead of marrying a man for his benefits

PS, thank you, AT&T for valuing the actual veterans and active duty service members and always taking great care of us! 

To all of you military wives ranting and raving, please get over yourselves ASAP. You are not, never have been, and never will be members of the military. No one cares or is impressed by the fact that you're married to someone in the military. They could do their jobs just fine without you. Please stop thinking that your husbands would roll over and die and be unable to complete their military duties without you. You are doing absolutely nothing to help the country. Do you see men married to military members complaining like all of you are always doing? Nope. Just military wives!

- a female vet who had the guts to serve herself, instead of marrying a man for his benefits

PS, thank you, AT&T for valuing the actual veterans and active duty service members and always taking great care of us! 

5 of 6 (252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2016 5:40:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thank you for your service!

And for the record, no matter what the discount is for, the account must be in the name of the eligible person.  The spouse can transfer billing responsibility and the account owner can grant secondary access so, as in the case of military spouses, the account can be managed in full by the non-owner as well as the owner. 

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information

Thank you for your service!

And for the record, no matter what the discount is for, the account must be in the name of the eligible person.  The spouse can transfer billing responsibility and the account owner can grant secondary access so, as in the case of military spouses, the account can be managed in full by the non-owner as well as the owner. 

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information
We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (243 Views)