Military discount

Anonymous
N/A

Military discount

I had recently called AT&T to pay my wireless bill and spoke with a nice woman who offered me some information: That I could receive a military discount as long as I took my ID into my local AT&T store. I did not need my husband to be present with me.

I thought, "Great!" As he is states away, stationed on active duty away from me.

So, I go into my local AT&T store in Roseville, MI. Explain what I am there to do. Keep in mind, I have been with AT&T for almost six years at this rate. I tell the gentlemen who is helping me I have my ID with me. And, I'm told no. Because the account is in MY name. Now, my husband is active duty, states away and I am LUCKY to see him a few times a year. I have my OWN ID with my OWN DoD number, which, is NOT my husband's ID number, but no. I am not "allowed" to use that??

Really AT&T?? That ID pretty much recognizes me as a member of an active duty serviceman, gives me my own benefits number and everything. But, sacrificing seeing my husband few times a year so he can serve is apparently enough to your company.

Thank you AT&T, for making my decision to LEAVE your company easier. I have called two other phone companies who would have given me that discount with MY ID alone.

Looks like I will be taking my wireless AND U-Verse business elsewhere.
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: Military discount

On most cell phone companies, to get the discount, the account MUST be in the name of the person eligible for the discount.
You are not military, he is. Yes, that gives you some military conveniences, but that is not how the cell phone providers look at it.
I believe that all the other cell phone companies look at it the same way.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12
Contributor

With all due respect, I believe that is not true.  The military gives you your own DoD number because it recognizes your service as a spouse. Military wives and husbands sacrifice daily in order to ensure their spouse is mission ready. I am so proud of my husband for everything he has done. However, he will be the first to tell you that he is not the only one making sacrifices for our country. The military is a lifestyle that involves the whole family. WE ARE ARMY.

Message 3 of 12
Contributor

After 30 years of marriage to a disabled service person I totally agree AT&T's position of the wife/survivor is very unfair  It is like spitting in our face and we are not worth anything attitude that AT&T has in this matter.

A friend of my mothers is getting a discount because she worked for the government not a military member simply worked at bases. Now where is the fair with this when we live with have the kids to raise manage the home property see that things are where they should be when the service member left not running off with the property money kids or family and we also take care of the spouse's family duties while tey are gone?

If nothing else it is a huge slap in the face for the military spouse who gives up one heck of a lot to do what has to be done and yes I hold a valid ID and also have been denied the discount.

Message 4 of 12
Contributor

To all of you military wives ranting and raving, please get over yourselves ASAP. You are not, never have been, and never will be members of the military. No one cares or is impressed by the fact that you're married to someone in the military. They could do their jobs just fine without you. Please stop thinking that your husbands would roll over and die and be unable to complete their military duties without you. You are doing absolutely nothing to help the country. Do you see men married to military members complaining like all of you are always doing? Nope. Just military wives!

- a female vet who had the guts to serve herself, instead of marrying a man for his benefits

PS, thank you, AT&T for valuing the actual veterans and active duty service members and always taking great care of us! 

Message 5 of 12
ACE - Expert

Thank you for your service!

And for the record, no matter what the discount is for, the account must be in the name of the eligible person.  The spouse can transfer billing responsibility and the account owner can grant secondary access so, as in the case of military spouses, the account can be managed in full by the non-owner as well as the owner. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 12

If you look on the website it actually states spouses of active duty or deceased veterens can get the discount with a valid ID.  Second i spent over twenty years in the military and i can say that my wife played the most important role of my career.  For you to state some of the things in your post blows me away with stupidy on your part.  It seems to me you lack respect and real knowledge of what a spouse and the big part they actually play.  In my opinion, it would seem as if the only thing you contribute is a smart --- mouth, which probably keeps you in trouble.  If you were my soldier you would get some knowledge as to how to speak to people and treat people.  You would lose that great big ol chip on your shoulder.  

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 12
ACE - Expert

@bigcountry2238

I don't know where you are reading that.   http://www.corp.att.com/gov/military/

The website says nothing about spouses.  

Active service persons and veterans are eligible but must be the account owner.   

I know one of the biggest problems is managing the account when the owner is away for long periods.  If the owner  sets up secondary access for the spouse they can manage the account in their absence.  

While I respect the issues and sacrifice of the military spouse, I would in no way compare that to what active duty and our veterans have gone through.  When the spouse dodges IEDs and gunfire on a daily basis, then he or she can claim to have done as much as their military spouse.

God bless, and heaven help Trump if he doesn't fix the VA, which Obungle promised to do and failed.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 8 of 12
Contributor

RE: MILITARY DISCOUNT FOR SPOUSES 

I hate to tell this person he is not reading the same thing as I and others read. Finally was able to go up again to the ATT store and they finally did accept my ID and will start to receive the agreed discount their ads promise but she said and could not explain why It would be in February 2017 first till it would kick in. That was the message she got back. But was refused when I got the phone I am using currently said it would just come back. There have been ads repeatedly for the Spouse or Survivor Spouse to receive the discount and they continually refused to even attempt to file for it with or without your ID. There has to be confusion somewhere. I was told to be sure to go to one of their corporate stores. That may be where there is some disagreement. I have seen the ad repeatedly in the Military.com that I get. Check it and see.
Message 9 of 12
ACE - Master

@dreamy_jo1 wrote:
 I have seen the ad repeatedly in the Military.com that I get. Check it and see.

Wouldn't it have made your point better to include the link, instead of being argumentative??? 

http://www.military.com/discounts/att-special-military-savings

Check this page out https://www.att.com/offers/discount-program/military-discount/?source=EBIR0000000dai00O

Qualified active duty military, reserves, national guard, veterans, and spouses of active duty and deceased service personnel can receive 15% off the monthly service charge on qualified plans.*

*Req’s valid proof of eligibility. Qualified individual must be acct. holder. Discount applies only to recurring mo. svc. charge of qual. plans. Add’l restr. apply.1 See details ON THAT PAGE.

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".

This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 10 of 12
    ACE - Expert

This is new.   This link doesn't show on the page at all.

Again, it is important to note the person requesting the discount must be the account owner.

Message 11 of 12
    ACE - Master

@lizdance40 wrote:

This is new.   This link doesn't show on the page at all.

Which link on which page?

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 12 of 12
    You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
    Share this topic
    Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support