Need help understanding your bill?
dsleffelks's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, March 10th, 2013 8:52 AM

Closed

Late fee?

If you are 2 days late on your cell phone bill, do they charge a late fee? How much is it? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@dsleffelks wrote:

If you are 2 days late on your cell phone bill, do they charge a late fee? How much is it? Thanks.

http://www.att.com/shop/legalterms.html?toskey=wirelessCustomerAgreement&

1.7 What if I fail to pay my AT&T Bill when it is due?

Late payment charges are based on the state to which the area code of the wireless telephone number assigned to you is assigned by the North American Numbering Plan Administration (for area code assignments see nationalnanpa.com/area_code_maps). You agree that for amounts not paid by the due date, AT&T may charge, as a part of its rates and charges, and you agree to pay, a late payment fee of $5 in CT, D.C., DE, IL, KS, MA, MD, ME, MI, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, WV; the late payment charge is 1.5% of the balance carried forward to the next bill in all other states. In the event you fail to pay billed charges when due and it becomes necessary for AT&T to refer your account(s) to a third party for collection, AT&T will charge a collection fee at the maximum percentage permitted by applicable law, but not to exceed 18% to cover the internal collection-related costs AT&T has incurred on such account(s) through and including the date on which AT&T refer(s) the account(s) to such third party.

You expressly authorize, and specifically consent to allowing, AT&T and/or its outside collection agencies, outside counsel, or other agents to contact you in connection with any and all matters relating to unpaid past due charges billed by AT&T to you. You agree that, for attempts to collect unpaid past due charges, such contact may be made to any mailing address, telephone number, cellular phone number, e-mail address, or any other electronic address that you have provided, or may in the future provide, to AT&T. You agree and acknowledge that any e-mail address or any other electronic address that you provide to AT&T is your private address and is not accessible to unauthorized third parties. For attempts to collect unpaid charges, you agree that in addition to individual persons attempting to communicate directly with you, any type of contact described above may be made using, among other methods, pre-recorded or artificial voice messages delivered by an automatic telephone dialing system, pre-set e-mail messages delivered by an automatic e-mailing system, or any other pre-set electronic messages delivered by any other automatic electronic messaging system.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you!

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

11 years ago

If it only 2 days there will most likley be no charges , most companies will charge after 10 days

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Well, to be clear yes you will be charged either 5% of the balance due or just a flat rate of five dollars depending on your state. Personally if you are always going to be late that can get annoying so just change your due date.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I flabbergasted!!!!!!
I have been with att for 9 years.... Service have never been interrupted and the would not waive the petty 40.00 fee from my account... They have made more mistakes on my account giving me credits than I have this is the first time this have ever..... FYI I'm a grandfathered account holder .... I will run this matter in to the ground and to the chucked come home....

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I have been an At & t wireless customer since Dec 2000, my due date was always the 6th of the month, they changed my due date to the 2nd, I asked them to revert to the original due date and was told I can't. If I pay my bill 1 day late I'm charged a late fee of $5. If I refuse to pay the late fee, they then charge an additional late fee the following month, since I didn't pay my bill in full. I guess they have so many rich customers, they don't need the business of the working class, who were there during the At&t - Cingular - At&t name circus. Loyalty has no place in the business world anymore.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@sandart65 Are you saying your due date changed recently? The move to standardize everyone on a 21 day due date was done a few years ago. Plus they absolutely will change your due date but they have to change your bill cycle dates in order to change your due date. The due date is now a standard 21 days after the start of your bill cycle.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

My due date was changed about 1 yr ago. However in the past a late fee was not charged unless you paid after your billing cycle closed. But now i paid the very next day after the due date and was charged a late fee. I even paid 3 days before the due date and was charged a late fee, because I refused to pay the previous late since, it was only 1 day late. Now i have 2 additional late fees stemming from being late once. Got to love At&t.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@sandart65 wrote:
My due date was changed about 1 yr ago. However in the past a late fee was not charged unless you paid after your billing cycle closed. But now i paid the very next day after the due date and was charged a late fee. I even paid 3 days before the due date and was charged a late fee, because I refused to pay the previous late since, it was only 1 day late. Now i have 2 additional late fees stemming from being late once. Got to love At&t.

I don't recall AT&T ever waiting until after the cycle was over to charge a late fee, but I'll take your word for it. Regardless, at present, failure to pay the FULL balance due (even if you "refuse" to pay part of it), you will be charged a late fee. 

If you had talked to someone after you were late the first time, you might have been able to get a courtesy credit. Now that you've been late twice (yes, you were late since you didn't pay in full), I doubt anyone will be very understanding. 

You should pay the current balance in full before your next due date and consider this a lesson learned. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

You don't have to believe me, but i've been a customer almost 18 years; there was a time when a late fee was only accessed if you failed to make your payment before the cycle ending date, or maybe that's just my experience.  Strangely enough I did speak to an agent, who said the late fee would be credited since it was only one day, long story short the credit was never processed, resulting in a balance being carried over, causing a subsequent late charge. Today an agent said I'm not entitled to a credit and she can't find any evidence of my previous call, really. 
I may have to reconsider to whom I give my loyalty.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.