For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
pumpknmom's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, December 22nd, 2016 3:52 PM

Is it worth it to add another phone to my plan? Or should I just look elsewhere?

I'm looking to get a second phone on my account for a family member that doesn't own a cellphone.  Right now I pay about $68 a month for my own phone, which I bought upfront.  I'm finding the info on the website confusing.If we bought another phone outright, and put it on my account, would we really be saving much?  It looks like an extra $20, but the last time I thought I was going to pay $20 to upgrade to smartphone access, I was charged $40. I'm wondering if we should just shop around and go for a different carrier...the second phone would be used mostly for making calls, so we wouldn't need a big data plan. Could someone tell me what the true cost would actually be? Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

7 years ago

Depending on your plan, the phone cost would be $15 to $25 per month (plus taxes and fees) unless you have an old grandfathered plan. Buying the phone outright does not save you money. The NEXT plan is a no interest phone purchase plan that can be paid on your monthly bill.

AT&T not longer does phone contracts that increase the monthly phone cost.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@pumpknmom It's kind of hard when you don't tell us what plan you are on...

If you're on a Mobile Share Advantage plan, it's $20 (+tax/fees) to add another line

Phone/Smartphone charges are seperate, if you own the phone the charges will be $0. 

They would just share the data you have (adding a line will probably take that months rollover away).

If you're on an Unlimited plan (DirecTV) it's $40 a line.

(We're talking monthly fees)

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".

This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Sorry, it’s Mobile Share Value 300 MB with Rollover Date

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@pumpknmom wrote:
Sorry, it’s Mobile Share Value 300 MB with Rollover Date

That's $25 a month per LINE on that plan. That's not much data at all, especially for 2 people.

You'd probable be better switching to the new Mobile Share Advantage plan at 1GB.  $30 for plan and $20 a line. 

A bit more data and probably about the same price, if not $5 cheaper (factoring in the $5 a line savings).

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Mobile Share Value plan  (your current plan)

$25 + $25 plus data $20 for 300 mb   Total before tax $70

Overage charges $15

Mobile Share Advantage plan ( newnplan as of 8/21)

$20 + $20 plus data $30 for 1 gig.   Total before tax $70

No overage charges!

Buying phones at full cost is a great way to keep the bill down to service only.  

If you need any suggestions on phone's just holler.  I prefer to shop elsewhere and save on carriers crazy high costs.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Since you are paying $68 for one line, it must still be under contract meaning you are paying a $40 line fee, not $25. If you switch plans you will still pay $40 on that line until the contract expires.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@pumpknmom No matter how you look at it switching plans makes sense.

And once your contract ends, you'll be paying $20 on the new plan vs. $25 on the old (your current plan).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.