For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
vj1234's profile

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 10:24 PM

International call charges

So i get this month's wireless bill and see an additional charge of $520. Since the complete bill was not yet generated, I contacted customer care. I was told that international calls were made from my mobile. But i tried explaining that I had activated International call block feature for my number. So i was told that my option is to pay the balance fully or in installments. I asked for her manager and i was told that manager would give the same reply. This went on for almost an hour. 

Then manager came into the chat and she tired to understand the issue. I need to say that she wanted to help me out and resolve the issue. I tried explaining her that International call block has been activated for my number. She looked into the account and got back saying that feature is not active. I told her that i had called ATT customer care last year to activate that feature and at the end of the call, i was told that the feature was active for my number. (I use Google voice for all international calls and did not verify if this feature was enabled for my number) The manager got back saying she sees my request to activate International call blocker as a note in my account from 2016. She agreed to the fact that i had called customer care and asked the representative to activate this feature but the representative had not not activated it. Finally after 150 minutes of discussion, she gave me a credit of $400 as goodwill and i ended up paying $120. This was my mistake: I did not verify if the feature was activated or not. 

Moral of the story: Never trust what customer care representative tells you. Verify everything by yourself even after it is being confirmed. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

"Moral of the story: Never trust what customer care representative tells you. Verify everything by yourself even after it is being confirmed"

Exactly. Checking that your account is correct is simple and effective. No reason not to do it!

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

Agreed! Why do i need to verify anything and everything done by them. They have my request as a note added in my system. Why cant they just process that in my account. And this has happened for both of calls requesting them to activate this feature on different lines in my account.  

Also one more observation: With the old ATT webpage, i was able to check the status of International call restrict feature through my account information. Strangely, i am unable to check that feature through current newly modified ATT webpage. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Because it is always better to verify from our side. Be it anything, checking from our side will save many issues and complications. 

The website should allow us to check the status of any feature. May be it did not get updated in your account. Try checking once again.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

But has anyone thought about the issue this way:

As a consumer, I took my time and effort to call ATT customer care to activate International call block and all of those details is recorded as a note in ATT system. I did all this only because i did not want any issues in the future. And here it is! 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Spoiler

This is very tragic. I can put myself in your shoes and see how stressful this can be for you. Since it is their fault, you should not be charged at all, in my opinion. 

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

@ATTCares By any chance, do you have time to look into this thread!?

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

@dazzlingsun69 I have been using ATT for the past 6 years. The number under discussion is my wife's mobile and she has been using it for close to 2 years. Not even one international call has been past from these numbers. And all of a sudden i get into this. Whatever is happening clearly shows there is no value for loyal customers. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I understand your point of view, i mean who can be calm after receiving a huge bill which is ultimately because of that one mistake where the service agent didn't apply the request you made to block the internation whatever service it was. i hope at&t does something abt this.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

@ATTCares you are replying to all other threads other than this one.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

I have spent 6 hours, 3 hours last week and 3 hours yesterday, chatting with ATT customer care to resolve the issue. Yesterday i was told iw ill be given a call today evening and ATT did not keep up their promise. Last week i was told my International call is blocked and this issue will not reoccur. And today i am able to make international calls from my phone. Kudos to ATT customer care team!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.