For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
AngryTraveller's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, July 17th, 2019 6:07 PM

International billing errors... two months in a row

I set up an international passport 3GB plan on ONE phone line and had International Day Pass set on FOUR other lines. The Day Pass should only take effect if data is used, then a $10 charge provides unlimited data for the next 24 hours.

During our travels, I got the bill and the ONE phone line was charged with the Passport 3GB plan PLUS the International Day Pass for EVERY DAY of travel. Obviously nobody buys the international passport 3GB plan and then still expects to use the Day Pass at $10 per day. So I chatted (online) with customer support (6/20/19) and they said they fixed it, removing the unnecessary charges or crediting them to my next statement.

I got the next statement and it did NOT have the charges fixed and the credit was not for the full mistake. So this time I called (6/29/2019) instead of chatting online. The rep assured me that they could fix the current billing cycle which was set to end on 7/8/2019. They outlined the changes they would make and that I would see it reflected on the next bill.

I got the bill. It was wrong, and WAY worse. Now they had charged TWO phones with a Passport 3GB plan (even though one of those was no longer traveling and NEVER used data internationally) and still charged the one phone with TWENTY days of day pass at $10 per day.

So today (7/17/19) I called support. I was on the phone for 1 hour and 21 minutes. At the end of the call, the rep told me that my bill would be credited for ALL of the day pass items (20x $10 = $200) as well as the incorrect Passport 3GB plan that shouldn't have been billed. He also noted that he would email me a summary of the changes as well as the new total.
It's been 3 hours since hanging up and I am still waiting for an email. I did get an automated text that mentioned an adjusted amount, but it was not the full change I expected. And when I look at my bill online, it still reflects an amount much too high.

In summary, I have spent at least THREE HOURS of my time trying to get AT&T to fix billing errors and I'm still not done. In the future, I will buy a SIM card when I arrive at my destination. There's no way I would pay them for international plans ever again.

Have any thoughts about how to rectify this situation quickly?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 years ago

File a BBB complaint.

When you say, “ I set up an international passport 3GB plan on ONE phone line and had International Day Pass set on FOUR other lines.“

How?  

This is something you can do in your myATT account yourself to make sure correct lines are given the desired plan.   If you don’t turn day pass off, it stays on. Forever.  You can’t get charged in the USA, but would get CORRECTLY billed for both if you don’t turn it off.   If you used it for a previous trip and never turned it off, it’s not necessarily at&t’s Fault it was on for this trip.  The second error does seem at&t’s Fault 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40  So it's valid to charge a phone for a Passport plan that covers a certain time period, and still charge the Day Pass rate for the same period?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@AngryTraveller wrote:

I set up an international passport 3GB plan on ONE phone line and had International Day Pass set on FOUR other lines. The Day Pass should only take effect if data is used, then a $10 charge provides unlimited data for the next 24 hours.

During our travels, I got the bill and the ONE phone line was charged with the Passport 3GB plan PLUS the International Day Pass for EVERY DAY of travel. Obviously nobody buys the international passport 3GB plan and then still expects to use the Day Pass at $10 per day. So I chatted (online) with customer support (6/20/19) and they said they fixed it, removing the unnecessary charges or crediting them to my next statement.

I got the next statement and it did NOT have the charges fixed and the credit was not for the full mistake. So this time I called (6/29/2019) instead of chatting online. The rep assured me that they could fix the current billing cycle which was set to end on 7/8/2019. They outlined the changes they would make and that I would see it reflected on the next bill.

I got the bill. It was wrong, and WAY worse. Now they had charged TWO phones with a Passport 3GB plan (even though one of those was no longer traveling and NEVER used data internationally) and still charged the one phone with TWENTY days of day pass at $10 per day.

So today (7/17/19) I called support. I was on the phone for 1 hour and 21 minutes. At the end of the call, the rep told me that my bill would be credited for ALL of the day pass items (20x $10 = $200) as well as the incorrect Passport 3GB plan that shouldn't have been billed. He also noted that he would email me a summary of the changes as well as the new total.
It's been 3 hours since hanging up and I am still waiting for an email. I did get an automated text that mentioned an adjusted amount, but it was not the full change I expected. And when I look at my bill online, it still reflects an amount much too high.

In summary, I have spent at least THREE HOURS of my time trying to get AT&T to fix billing errors and I'm still not done. In the future, I will buy a SIM card when I arrive at my destination. There's no way I would pay them for international plans ever again.

Have any thoughts about how to rectify this situation quickly?

Many people do sign up for the day pass in addition to a passport plan, since the day pass has a more limited list of eligible countries. The international day pass takes priority. If you've received credit for anything above the 2nd passport plan that was added you've received more than you were due. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Simply put, if my passport plan would work for my travels, the day pass is redundant. It should not be charged whether or not I can "turn it off". If I get charged in that way, it's because the vendor is either negligent or conniving.
Regardless, I can see that the responses here are mere apologists for AT&T's unhelpful support and errant billing.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Simply put, if my passport plan would work for my travels, the day pass is redundant. It should not be charged whether or not I can "turn it off".

That is not how it works. It doesn’t matter how you think it should work, we are just telling you how it does work. If you have both passport and day pass, the day pass takes precedence in any day pass country. If you are want the passport plan to cover day pass countries, you must remove the day pass. That’s no being an apologist, that is merely giving you factual information on how the plans actually work.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@AngryTraveller wrote:

Simply put, if my passport plan would work for my travels, the day pass is redundant. It should not be charged whether or not I can "turn it off". If I get charged in that way, it's because the vendor is either negligent or conniving.
Regardless, I can see that the responses here are mere apologists for AT&T's unhelpful support and errant billing.

How is AT&T supposed to know the PassPort plan would work for your travels? The only way AT&T can know what you want is to tell them!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

"Yeah, that does seem counter-intuitive."
"I can understand why that's frustrating."
"Let me help you turn off that feature..."

Feel free to use phrases like that to give the impression that you might want to help.

Instead of:
"...you've received more than you were due..."
"It doesn’t matter how you think it should work..."

a·pol·o·gist
/əˈpäləjəst/
noun
noun: apologist; plural noun: apologists
  1. a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 years ago

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 
That's the best response I've received so far. Still, here's the only relevant piece from the documentation in the link:
"You’ll be charged $10/day when you use your phone in a country included in International Day Pass. Passport rates and allowances will only apply in Passport countries that are not included in International Day Pass. Go to att.com/globalcountries to review products available by country"

Unfortunately, ^that^ doesn't make it clear that BOTH will be charged. The fact that both were charged is obviously my frustration. Add to this the fact that TWO different support reps NEVER told me to turn off the day pass feature in order to stop being charged.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 years ago

@AngryTraveller   Keep reading.  What applies is in the second column of FAQ

The answer should be YES, etc. because of course passport is a month add on and daybpass will always trigger in eligible countries 

9F0CFA1B-3B71-469E-92C3-A6429C5E9267.jpeg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.