For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
DrunkenTiger420's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 1st, 2018 3:23 AM

If you unlock your device you still have to cancel your service for that device

Where’s this policy? I unlock my tablet 4 months ago and was still charged for the service I couldn’t use. Att said that can’t refund the payments. I have been with them for as long as I can remember and was paying a huge bill and I’m up for an upgrade. I asked for a copy of the unlock policy where it states I am still obligated to pay for the service, they told me to go to a store. Does anyone have copy of this policy or had the same issue?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

Unlocking a device does not terminate its service.  

1. iPads are not locked at all, so how would that work?

2.  Many unlock phones they pay off, but continue with service.  (I do). 

3.  Is ATT supposed to automatically know if you are continuing with service or not?

Uh, uh.  There are 3 ways to cancel a line.  1. Port the number out to a new carrier.  2.   Call ATT and ask to cancel the line.   3.  Cancel in person in an ATT company store.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Seriously? How are they supposed to know if I want to cancel? If I can’t use att service because I unlocked my device, that tells them I want to keep paying for my service? That’s a joke! If you pay for service you can’t use you’re a sucker!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

You didn’t read, I have an iPad, it’s unlocked, I have and want service on it.  I have a paid off Samsung. I unlocked it.  I sure as shooting want service, I’m using it.  Unlocking a device DOES NOT terminate service.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Obviously it doesn’t terminate your service. That’s what I’m writing about! I want to see the policy. I have overpaid for unlimited mins since being grandfathered-in many years ago. They can refund me $100. All I want is to see the policy where it’s states my service will continue to be charged unless I terminate. Do you have that?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@DrunkenTiger420 wrote:
Obviously it doesn’t terminate your service. That’s what I’m writing about! I want to see the policy. I have overpaid for unlimited mins since being grandfathered-in many years ago. They can refund me $100. All I want is to see the policy where it’s states my service will continue to be charged unless I terminate. Do you have that?

It’s in the wireless terms of service: https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement-list.html. Read paragraph 1.

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

@DrunkenTiger420 Why would you think unlocking your device makes it no longer work in at&t? It absolutely still can work, so why would you expect at&t to terminate service on a device you still can use? Your post has no logic

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@DrunkenTiger420 wrote:

I asked for a copy of the unlock policy where it states I am still obligated to pay for the service, they told me to go to a store. Does anyone have copy of this policy or had the same issue?

There's not such "policy," so you will not receive one. 

There is a policy that you must pay for service until you request to have it canceled. That has nothing to do with unlocking. The only policies related to unlocking cover eligibility and procedures, because nothing else is relevant to unlocking. 

Now I'm curious, though. As @lizdance40 pointed out, iPads are never locked. What did you do that you thought was unlocking the iPad?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@MicCheck   imagine the chaos if unlocked devices were automatically terminated.  😲

Associated Member

• 

118 Messages

6 years ago

Just because you have a device unlocked does not mean AT&T (or any provider) should be terminating your service.  I had my LG V20 unlocked once I paid it off and I am still currently using it on AT&T. I would have been pretty upset had they terminated my service.  AT&T is still providing you wireless service until such a time as you request it to be terminated therefore you are not owed any refund.  The service was there....you chose not to use it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.