For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Fvescera's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 1st, 2015 8:29 PM

I want to lower my bill

my daughter and are both on a family plan. I am paying $200 a month. We both have iPhone 6's. I have the plus. We both have the Next plan and we have 10 mg. Please this is killing me. I need this lowered or I am going to have to pay it off and say bye bye to AT&T. There are too many other carriers out there offering better deals. I can buy my DAIHTER a car and pay a car payment!! Jeez! Please help!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

9 years ago

Your options
1. Sell the expensive iPhones and buy $200 ATT phones from eBay, no payment, cash. This means you keep your discount and get rid of the payments.
2. Lower your data plan and stick to the lower data amount.

FYI. Either way, the iPhones must be paid off in full. New service requires 2 months payments up front. And you would have to buy new phones for a new network, so you wouldn't wind up ahead by switching.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

Let's see. You have 10GB data service. That will cost you about $100/month. You have 2 smartphones under NEXT agreements, so those cost you about $15/month each for the voice & text service. So far you are at about $130/month. Next you have 2 iPhones. One is an iPhone 6, and the other is an iPhone 6 Plus. Depending upon the specifics of each phone and which NEXT agreement you have, they will cost you from about $22-50/month for each of them. Let's just pick the middle configurations, so you would have a $750 iPhone 6 in 24 payments or $31.25/month, then you'd have an $850 iPhone 6 Plus in 24 payments or $35.42/month. So now you are adding $66.67 to your existing $130 and you are up to $196.67. Now you also have some federal surcharges and taxes on your plan for about $10-15/month. You may also have insurance on your phones for about $12.99 per phone each month. that would take you up to about $230/month. You may qualify for an employee discount through yoru work, but that would only discount against your data plan, and it is probably in the 18-22% so that would be about $20 off your bill, still leavign you at about $210.

If you have insurance, you can cancel that, but then you have a large risk that if anything happens to your phone, you will still need to keep paying for it, even though you can't use it. If you're paying $25/month for phone insurance, then over 24 months, you'll have paid $600 for your insurance premiums. This is a call that only you can make if you would want to cancel this if you have it.

Next you could consider lowering your data plan. At first this sounds like a great idea, but when you start looking more closely, it might not be suach a great deal. You could drop your data plan back to 6GB (assuming you use less than that). 6GB of data is only $70/month. That would save you $25-30 per month on your data (depending upon if you have an employee discount or not). Of course, if your data plan is less than 10GB, then your base rate for the talk & text service for each phone is $25/month, so you would increase that portion of your bill from $30 to $50, and suddenly your saving s would drop from $25-30/month down to only $5-10/month due to the change in the talk & tex service rates. Now if you can go much lower than 6GB, you might be able to start savign more money, but keep in mind that the lower your data plan is, the more likely you are to go over the plan limit and fact overage charges at $15/GB for your overages, and you will once again lose any savings very quickly.

I've mentioned employee discounts a couple times. If you don't already have one, check to see if you qualify for one, and get it applied to your account. That could save you about $20/month.

As you can see, each account has so many variables which can impact your plan costs that it's hard to say exactly what you can do to lower your bills.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

9 years ago

You can call Att to match Verizon's 10gb plan for $80 that will save you $20

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

What kind of 'Employee' discount applies to all of us that are retired? 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 years ago

@billhuds wrote:

What kind of 'Employee' discount applies to all of us that are retired? 

No such offer.  AT&T has a senior plan, but it’s lousy, and for the same cost you get more on prepaid.

you can use an AARP 10% discount on metered plans only.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the information.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the information. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.