Need help understanding your bill?
poolshark021's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, January 7th, 2019 6:52 PM

I am not getting $700 BOGO credit after being told I was eligible for it

When the new iPhone XS Max came out in September 2018 AT&T ran a Buy One Get One promo (not for XS Max, BOGO was for iPhone 8).  I called customer service to see if I would be eligible to get the XS Max and just pay the extra amount.  I was told I was eligible and I would only get a $700 credit split over 24 months because the phones I wanted were $1100 each.  I talked to one employee in the physical store, and I again asked someone over the phone before making my order.  Both employees told me I was eligible , I would just need to add another line and pay off the balance of my current phone (an iPhone 7 Plus that I owed $170 on still).  I had just started a new line for my daughter 2 weeks prior, so I asked if that could be considered a new line for the offer.  Both employees told me that doesn't count, but I could cancel that line and start a new line to be eligible.  So on 9/28/18 I did what they told me was needed - while on the phone to make my new phone order I cancelled my 2 week old line, started a new line (which included another $30 activation fee after just paying one 2 weeks prior), and I paid off the remaining balance on my iPhone 7.

After getting my first new bill I noticed I wasn't getting any of the $700 credit.  I started an online support chat on 11/5/18, and was told that I was eligible for the credit, but it hadn't applied to my account for some reason and I would see it on my 3rd bill.  That representative started a case for me and said I should hear back within 24-48 hours.  I didn't.  Two weeks later I still hadn't heard back so I started another online chat on 11/19/18 and once again was told I was eligible for the credit, but I wouldn't see it on my bill until December.  I was also told my case was still open for some reason but my account would be noted that I should start getting the credit in December.  When I got my December bill (now 3 months since phone purchases) the credit still had not been applied.  I called customer service on 12/27/18 and was told that it would take 7-10 days from the bill posting for the credit to be applied.  

So today is 1/7/19 (12 days since my 3rd bill was posted to my account, 3+ months since I bought the phones and 2+ months since I originally opened a case for this issue) and still no credit.  I called customer service again but this time I was told that I was not eligible for the credit and I would not be receiving it. I told the representative I had chat logs showing that I was told I was eligible and would be getting the credit.  She told me that doesn't matter, whoever told me that was wrong. I told her the only reason I bought the phones, cancelled a line and added a new line, and payed off my old phone early was because that's what I was told I need to do to be eligible for the offer.  Once again, i was told that none of that mattered and I would not be getting the credit even though multiple employees had already told me I would.  I asked to return the phones then since they wouldn't honor their offer but they would not let me.  I asked to have them pull the call recording from when I ordered the phones and listen to their employee telling me I would get the credit but they wouldn't do that either.

The only reason I bought two $1100 phones is because of the $700 BOGO offer.  The only reason I cancelled a 2 week old line and started a new line was because I was told that's what I needed to do to get the $700 BOGO offer.  The only reason I paid off my iPhone 7 Plus early was because I was told I need to in order to get the $700 offer.  I wouldn't have done any of that if I had been told I was ineligible for the offer.  I can't believe I was strung along for months and had multiple different (at least 5) At&t representatives all tell me I was eligible just to find out now that not only I'm not getting the $700 credit, but I can't return the phones and there's nothing I can do about it.  I've been an AT&T customer for over 10 years, I've bought 2 new phones at least every 2 years, and you're willing to lose me as a customer over $700 you told me I would get?  Someone has the authority to pull those call logs and see what I was told on 9/28/18.  Someone has the ability to make this right and see that I did nothing wrong here, just followed the instructions from AT&T employees.  I'm losing $700 because of their mistake.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

So did the last rep tell you why you weren’t eligible? I am pretty sure the iPhone BOGO in October required both a new line and TV service. It may not get you anywhere but file an FCC or BBB complaint. The complaint will result in someone from executive escalations contacting you. Whether or not they will make it right, I don’t know, but they do have the authority.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I got 2 different answers from 2 different reps today:  the first one told me I'm ineligible because I don't live in the correct zip code that the offer was targeted to (even though I saw the offer on AT&T main website).  The other told me it's because the offer is ONLY for iPhone 8 BOGO, and that I wasn't able to use the credit towards more expensive phones.  I will take it up with FCC and BBB if needed, but I was hoping for a resolution here.

• 

2 Messages

Have a similar poor experience with BOGO Offer last Sept 2019. Feel cheated and unfair business . Tried with AT&T without much help but will take up with BBB as needed. Thanks

• 

15 Messages

@poolshark021 I think the FCC only handles landlines aka POTS line and not cell phones. It doesn't hurt to check with them but I think the FTC is the place for this complaint. www.ftc.gov/.../submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

The info below is from the FTC site.

Mobile Devices or Telephones

MOBILE DEVICES OR TELEPHONES

Click a subcategory below to begin filing your complaint

Mobile Accessories, Devices, or Other: Mobile plans, devices or service (poor quality product, software/app concerns, service quality, billing, refund policy, etc.)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

This is a customer to customer forum, so sorry, no resolution here. I am quite sure the second reason is wrong. They have always allowed buying a more expensive model and let you pay the difference. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Oh, ok.  The last CSR told me this forum was "heavily moderated" by AT&T staff and this is the only place I could ask why I was misled when originally purchasing the phones.  I agree the second reason was wrong, and I'm not buying the zip code reason either.  The offer was posted on their main page, and no one ever asked or mentioned anything about a zip code until today.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

The forum is moderated meaning the moderators ensure forum rules are followed. The moderators provide no customer support. There is a small customer support team that does respond to some posts but no guarantee they will respond to yours.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I just wanted to follow up and say I did file a complaint with the BBB yesterday, and I was contacted by someone today from AT&T corporate who took care of the issue.  Thanks sandblaster!

• 

15 Messages

So glad to hear you had a positive response! My thanks to sandblaster as well!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Depending on when you bought your phone:   

Tv service was required, and the XS may not have been included.

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/landingpage/offers/Bundled-BOGO-July-December-2018.pdf

The promotions are not up to your interpretation.   The computer looks for the requirements and if not there, you don’t get the deal.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

My situation is almost exactly the same and I am getting similar pushback from AT&T chat agents even though I was assured of eligibility when purchased XS Max and XR in November 2018 (one upgrade, one new line). I already have other qualifying services (u-verse + at&t internet). I patiently waited until my 3rd bill to see the credits and now they are refusing to honor the deal. Did you eventually get that resolve to your satisfaction, poolshark021?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, I filed a complaint with the BBB and was contacted by AT&T corporate the next day. They were able to resolve it and my credit posted that same day. 

• 

1 Message

Hey Poolshark021,

I'm facing the same issue now. Can you please help me in filing a complaint with the BBB?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for sharing this poolshark. I will also post the complaint with the BBB. 

I am having the same problem and went through the exact same steps.

In 2018 November, I have been provided the BOGO offer with an addition of new line, by the ATT customer Service agent. I told her I already have 5 lines and donot need an additional line. Of the 5 lines - One line was over the contract period and another was eligible for upgrade in a couple of months. She said that I can pay the remainder installments for the soon-to-be eligible line and get that line ready for upgrade immediately eligible for the BOGO. And the other line that had completed the contract, I can cancel. And apply for a new line. But she asked me to cancel the line at a later date. She also informed me that I can get iPhone XR also in this offer.

So I paid extra $225 to be eligible for the phone upgrade for BOGO. I had a new line, so a toal of 6 lines. And after 10 days I cancelled one existing number, and was back to the original 5-lines. Got the two $1000+ phones because of the BOGO offer.

I had my order shipped to a local ATT Store and I checked there for refund and they informed me it will credit from the 3rd billing cycle. After a couple of months I called the ATT Customer service and they said the BOGO offer is not there. I told them that I had made the purchase through an ATT CSR and she had provided the BOGO offer. I asked them to pull the recorded conversation during the purchase. Another call with ATT CSR on the issue, and I was told that it required an Internet and TV connection. I told them the CSR discussed the BOGO offer requiring only a new line, I asked them again to pull the recorded discussion.

I have had a number of calls with them but they are not filing this complaint or escalating the issue or discussing further about the recorded conversation of the BOGO offer purchase.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.