Need help understanding your bill?
crawfordquarter's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, January 30th, 2019 2:28 AM

How can you do that?

Question for att cares, today I called and cancelled all my att and directv services. Many different reasons but that’s not my issue now. Today is 1-29-19 and I was told per a new att policy the customer service people are no longer allowed to cancel on the day you call and prorate back to that date. They will not disconnect or stop services until next month on the 14th, the end of the billing cycle. Here is my question, how does att think they can charge me for half a month of services that I cancelled today? I am not under contract with att or directv and I have not agreed to this new policy. Just because att changes their policy doesn’t mean I am going to pay for a service that I cancelled. So how are you going to charge me for it?

Just to make it clear, I am cancelling all of my att services, internet, phone and directv, as of today, 1-29-19, and I will not be paying for these services after today. If you choose not to disconnect those services until a later date, that is on you and I will not be paying for those services after today. I have notified you of this in every way I have found that I could.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Associated Member

• 

158 Messages

5 years ago

@crawfordquarter 

If you take a chance to read the TOS (Terms of Service) ATT will NOT Prorate your final bill. This new policy is actually decent if you look at it another way. 

You want to Cancel today, but your billing cycle is through the 14th. Under the old policy you would still have been charged for services up to the 14th. This way you still get to use your services that you would have paid for anyway.

I get that regardless of the policy your intentions were to cancel today. But answer me this with your utmost honesty, had you cancelled and then received the bill, would you have been upset that you still got charged through the 14th? Honestly. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

The policy has always been so for cellular carriers, all of them except Google Fi.  

It’s a new policy for tv and internet, which At&t is last to adopt compared to other carriers.

Scholar

• 

97 Messages

5 years ago

Other cellular companies may have the same “official policy”, but when I recently cancelled with Verizon and called because I wasn’t aware of the policy, they were pleasant and agreed to pro-rate my final bill.   Verizon treated me better after I cancelled than AT&T treats me as a new customer with 4 new lines and 4 new iPhones...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

As you can see from a post a couple down Verizon is definitely better at customer service than is att. As for your comments about att policy, I was an att customer some years back and for several reasons I decided to use another provider. When I canceled my service that time att did prorate my bill. Also it was an att customer service rep who told me today, this is a fairly new policy from att and just a few months back they were pro rating the bills on cancelation so not sure where your info is comming from. Either way, the correct option here for att from a customer service standpoint would be to prorate the bill. Especially since this is a fairly new policy. But we shall see if att does what it says it does and puts the customer 1st or not. I will definitely be posting what they do either way.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

No it's been in the wireless TOS for years.   Just do a forum search.  They just added it to internet and TV.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@crawfordquarter wrote:

As you can see from a post a couple down Verizon is definitely better at customer service than is att. As for your comments about att policy, I was an att customer some years back and for several reasons I decided to use another provider. When I canceled my service that time att did prorate my bill. Also it was an att customer service rep who told me today, this is a fairly new policy from att and just a few months back they were pro rating the bills on cancelation so not sure where your info is comming from.

Several public news articles is where I got that:  https://americannewsgroup.com/2018/12/04/att-makes-it-more-expensive-to-cancel-directv-or-internet-service/

Either way, the correct option here for att from a customer service standpoint would be to prorate the bill. Especially since this is a fairly new policy. But we shall see if att does what it says it does and puts the customer 1st or not. I will definitely be posting what they do either way.

You may think it’s “correct” but At&t may disagree, so be prepared for them to follow policy.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.