Need help understanding your bill?
Defjohn's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, May 2nd, 2019 3:57 PM

How can at&t lock MY Iphone Xr that I purchased, outright, at Best Buy?

I purchased an unlocked, prepaid iPhone in March 2019 at Best Buy and went to a local at&t store and had the phone activated with AT&T with my existing phone number ported over from Verizon. Now I realize I can get a better price on my cell phone airtime if I go with Xfinity. I went to my local Xfinity store to switch carriers and was told that at&t has a lock on my phone!?!?  This is MY PHONE, I paid full price for it from Best Buy. How do I get it unlocked again so I can switch to Xfinity?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Defjohn wrote:

I purchased an unlocked, prepaid iPhone in March 2019 at Best Buy and went to a local at&t store and had the phone activated with AT&T with my existing phone number ported over from Verizon. Now I realize I can get a better price on my cell phone airtime if I go with Xfinity. I went to my local Xfinity store to switch carriers and was told that at&t has a lock on my phone!?!?  This is MY PHONE, I paid full price for it from Best Buy. How do I get it unlocked again so I can switch to Xfinity?

The only way to buy a truly unlocked iPhone is directly from Apple. Any other phones bought will lock to the carrier you use. 

If you have prepaid service, you have to have 6 months of active service before you are eligible for an unlock. If you switch to a postpaid account, it's only a 2 month minimum, so that would save a month or two. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

AT&T didn’t lock it, Apple did.  Apple’s US flex activation policy locks phones to the first carrier used.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

That's absurd.... ok, thanks for the prompt response though!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

Contact At&t with proof of purchase and see if they will give exception. Call 611 and ask for tech support 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.