Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How can at&t lock MY Iphone Xr that I purchased, outright, at Best Buy?

Highlighted
Contributor

How can at&t lock MY Iphone Xr that I purchased, outright, at Best Buy?

I purchased an unlocked, prepaid iPhone in March 2019 at Best Buy and went to a local at&t store and had the phone activated with AT&T with my existing phone number ported over from Verizon. Now I realize I can get a better price on my cell phone airtime if I go with Xfinity. I went to my local Xfinity store to switch carriers and was told that at&t has a lock on my phone!?!?  This is MY PHONE, I paid full price for it from Best Buy. How do I get it unlocked again so I can switch to Xfinity?

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Defjohn
‎05-02-2019 10:22 AM

Re: How can at&t lock MY Iphone Xr that I purchased, outright, at Best Buy?

@Defjohn wrote:

I purchased an unlocked, prepaid iPhone in March 2019 at Best Buy and went to a local at&t store and had the phone activated with AT&T with my existing phone number ported over from Verizon. Now I realize I can get a better price on my cell phone airtime if I go with Xfinity. I went to my local Xfinity store to switch carriers and was told that at&t has a lock on my phone!?!?  This is MY PHONE, I paid full price for it from Best Buy. How do I get it unlocked again so I can switch to Xfinity?

The only way to buy a truly unlocked iPhone is directly from Apple. Any other phones bought will lock to the carrier you use. 

If you have prepaid service, you have to have 6 months of active service before you are eligible for an unlock. If you switch to a postpaid account, it's only a 2 month minimum, so that would save a month or two. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
ACE - Sage

Re: How can at&t lock MY Iphone Xr that I purchased, outright, at Best Buy?

AT&T didn’t lock it, Apple did.  Apple’s US flex activation policy locks phones to the first carrier used.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5
Contributor

Re: How can at

That's absurd.... ok, thanks for the prompt response though!!
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Sage

Re: How can at

Contact At&t with proof of purchase and see if they will give exception. Call 611 and ask for tech support 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support