For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
RichardCMD's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, December 26th, 2017 9:41 PM

How Can AT&T Get away with False Advertisement?

My name is Richard. I reside in Maryland, USA. I have been with AT&T for more than five years.  This recent episode has really gotten me going nuts. It started about three months ago, when I had an Iphone 6 that was not working properly. So I called AT&T to request for a replacement phone under warranty. I took my phone out of its protective case think it will be returned soon. Right before the replacement phone arrives, I dropped my phone and cracked the screen. So I called AT&T to ask what options I have, It was at that time that the representative told me there is a promotion going on whereby if I buy one Iphone8 and sign up for DirectTV, I can get another one for free, and then I get to keep all the phones.  I specifically repeated the question "are you sure I don't have to return the defective or the replacement iphones" and the answer was again and again yes. So I signed up for the deal.  Couple weeks later I received text messages reminding me to return the defective iphone, I knew then something was wrong. So I called again, this time a female representative told me that I have to return the phone or get charged for the full price.  I explained to her that if I had made a mistake, There is no question I would have to pay for it, but when an AT&T representative make a mistake, why can't AT&T own up to it?  It did not get resolved that time. Couple weeks later I received my phone bill and it was more than 1200 dollars.  I called again, and this time a lady told me she could get her supervisor to drop the charges if I can mail back the damaged phone, She then gave me a phone number to call her supervisor. I called the number numerous times and no one pick up.  So I called AT&T back, and this time I was told what the lady suggested was inaccurate, that there is no one in the customer care department who can help me, not even the supervisors.  I then was transferred from one department to another, from combined billing, to technical support, I spent hours and hours on the phone and no one can resolve this matter.  So my question is, does this situation fit the description of FALSE ADVERTISEMENT?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

Well we got several problems with all this 

1. Att in no way shape or form warranties your iPhone.  All warranty replacement for iPhone must be directly with Apple.  ATT does not provide any warranty service of any kind because they are not allowed to per Apple.  So did you get a warranty phone from Apple?

2.  If out of warranty, older than one year, the phone is replaced under insurance, also NOT ATT, but Asurion.  Asurion doesn’t care why it’s defective, broken or stolen, they ship you a replacement and you send in the broken one.

3.  The BOGO requires you add a line for the free phone.  Upgrading 2 lines does not qualify. 

So something about all this is very mixed up. 

If you canceled the defective phone exchange, you have to return the phone.  If you were told otherwise, that’s bad info, not advertising 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

This matter is getting even more interesting now.  Right before the new year, I spoke with a lady within a special division at Asurion that handles the special circumstance matters.  After hearing my story, she told me she would look into who sold me the BOGO and told me not to send the phones back. If that indeed did happen, then she would apply a credit to my account and clear this matter for me.  She also told me that she would call me back on Wednesday after New Year. Well She never did call me back, but after first week of New Year, I saw a credit in the amount of $1100 on my account, which I was very happy to see. But two weeks later, when I checked my account again, that credit disappeared, and I'm left with a balance due again. When I called AT&T again, the rep told me that there is a note left on my account to call Asurion (888-562-8662). I called and the guy I spoke with denied any record of anyone talked to me, and denied any responsibility in an unbelievably rude manner.  Don't know where this will end up but will keep everyone informed

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

No surprise here.

Asurion is not ATT, and Visa versa 

Asurion is not responsible for ATT sales or promotions, even if you didn’t understand the requirements.  I can’t  imagine why anyone at Asurion would even ask.  Asurion insures your device if lost, stolen broken or defective.  

BOGO promotions are to add new business and make a profit, not save us money.   

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Well, I'm not sure who is ultimately responsible for this, but I have reported this matter to better business bureau demanding full credit and an apology from AT&T. will see how it goes.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

You will get a nice call saying sorry for the misunderstanding, but your bill is correct. And it is.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

hey guess what, I got an email from a lady who claims to work in the office for the president of AT&T, she asked me to give her a call to resolve this issue, so we will see where this goes. stay tuned.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@RichardCMD wrote:

Well, I'm not sure who is ultimately responsible for this, but I have reported this matter to better business bureau demanding full credit and an apology from AT&T. will see how it goes.

@RichardCMD

Your wasting your time with the BBB....

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

thanks for your feedback, but it looks like BBB has helped me getting straight to the Office of the President of AT&T. will keep you in tune of what happens next

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@RichardCMD wrote:

thanks for your feedback, but it looks like BBB has helped me getting straight to the Office of the President of AT&T. will keep you in tune of what happens next

But thats it...  There is not teeth like the FCC.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@RichardCMD wrote:

Yeah, that's what the BBB is good at. Notice how they are out of the picture now?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.