For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
confuseduser123's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, May 6th, 2019 10:23 PM

Google Voice Calls and the Phone Bill

This is very important and I've seen way too many conflicting answers. Do Google Voice calls show up on the phone bill or not? I've heard that it doesn't, and I've also seen that it does. I'm very anxious right now because I'm in an abusive household and I was using Google Voice to contact my therapist. I'm on my abuser's family plan which is how they have access to my call/data logs. 

Do Google Voice calls show up on the phone bill or not? As in, using the Google Voice app on my iPhone X and calling my therapist.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@confuseduser123 Yes, unfortunately, if I'm reading your description correctly (about those calls going over the "carrier option"), these 3 will show up, on the bill.

As long as you're making "pure GV calls", those will be data-only.  I don't think the Hangouts dialer allowed (or didn't used to, it's been over a year since I last used it) allows for a "carrier option". 

It sounds like you're very "aware" now though, of the dialer settings, so you just need to check it, periodically.  Events like "app updates", to the GV-dialer-app, and any sorts of "app data reset(s)" can change this back, to the default (which is likely carrier-first).

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@confuseduser123 Sorry to hear.  

GV calls will only show up as "ordinary data", if you're using an app like the "Hangouts Dialer", or similar.  

Sometimes, if you're using the built-in dialer, for VOIP calls (some devices support this), from a secondary source, the calls can be (mistakenly) dialed from the primary (number).

Just make sure to keep them completely separate, and all that will appear is "data use", and really not a lot, at that, VOIP calls are not very data-intensive.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for your response! I only use the Google Voice App itself, not Hangouts. Does this affect anything as far as the bill? And on my call settings, "carrier only" was mistakenly checked and I made a few calls to my therapist prior to noticing that mistake. Will those 3 calls show up on the bill? It even showed up on the Phone App. @pgrey 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I'm hoping she doesn't check my calls on the bill then 😞 How would those carrier calls show up on the bill? Would it show my GV number dialing the therapist?  And also, those three calls happened on Friday, so will they show up for this month's bill if she checks my logs? @pgrey 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@confuseduser123 If it used the carrier (SIM) to make the call, instead of GV, then it'll show up.  

You can log on, to att.com, yourself, and see if they show up, which in turn means they'll be on the bill (or not).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I don’t know the account info to log in, I’ll have to find one of her bills to get the account number. Will she get a notification from me logging in? 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

You would need the credentials, the username, pwd, and possibly the PIN (2nd factor), if it's enabled.

Not typically, there's no notification if you log-in yourself (if you have the credentials).

I'm going to bow out, at this point, and suggest you try to "figure out the domestic side" of things here, it's really more about that, than anything technical, at this point.

Good luck, sorry you're in a tough spot, I can't imagine why calls of *this* nature should matter, to anyone, particularly someone that cares about you...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.