For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
billbros's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, August 10th, 2018 12:26 PM

Fraudulant charges on my last bill

My last bill included fraudulent charges for roaming while my children were on a cruise ship.  At no time were they warned of these roaming charges.  I spent over two hours on the phone with various co-conspirators with no success.  I was even threatened at one point that if I chose to  withhold payment through my credit card company, all my phones will be disconnected.   I've been a loyal customer with AT&T for over 15 years.  I am very disappointed that these reps could not find a way to return my loyalty and reverse these charges.  I'll be looking at switching to a competitor at my first opportunity.  What a shame. This is not how to retain customers.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@billbros

ATT can’t protect you from all third party billing.  That’s up to you.  Your phones have airplane mode when In doubt.  

Simple rule of thumb, if you aren’t standing on US soil, you are roaming.  Canada and Mexico are covered roaming on your plan.  Airplanes and ships have satellite cell service and it’s horribly expensive.  

The person who racked up $3000 was probably sent multiple warnings and ignored them. Pity. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

I just leave data roaming turned off on my phone and only turn it on when I need to use data. I never had to read any fine print and never have to worry about accidentally roaming. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@billbros wrote:

Terrible.  Hope they have some success in getting some of that back.  I guess my point is that AT&T should be able to put in place a safeguard, perhaps a mechanism whereby the user hast to respond positively with a button push, stating that they are aware that roaming charges will be billed.  But then, that would be a revenue loss for them wouldn't I?

Not really. I'm sure AT&T receives a small payment for processing charges on behalf of the Cellular at Sea, but it's not a significant source of revenue. Honestly, I'd bet management would much rather skip the process altogether, especially since they have to deal with the customer service for the provider, too. That would be an inconvenience for the customer, though, which is the whole reason for AT&T to process these charges. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Cruise ship data has always been terribly expensive and this is not just an ATT issue. They currently charge more than $6 per MB but just a few years ago it was $20 per MB. Maybe ATT should do what Verizon did. They no longer allow their users to use data on a cruise ship.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

A related frustration is that I just purchased the $100.00 cruise plan for Talk, Text and Data.  My AT&T account includes my cell phone and my iPad.  However, only my cell phone is included on this international plan.  If I want the same plan on my iPad it will cost me another $100!  What is wrong with this picture?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 years ago

@EsssBeee wrote:

A related frustration is that I just purchased the $100.00 cruise plan for Talk, Text and Data.  My AT&T account includes my cell phone and my iPad.  However, only my cell phone is included on this international plan.  If I want the same plan on my iPad it will cost me another $100!  What is wrong with this picture?

And if you want to use 2 phones or 5 phones you pay for each of them too.  

OR . . . 

You could unplug like people used to do a couple decades ago, before smartphones and tablets and enjoy your cruise.  (There is plenty to do). 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@EsssBeee wrote:

Yes, it is expensive but there is nothing wrong with that picture. International plans are per line, always have been. Does your phone have hotspot capability? If so, turn the hotspot on and connect your ipad to the hotspot. Be careful, though. That $100 plan does not include very much data.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I was charged $300 for a 60 minute call to Mawi, Tanzania from Michigan. TThey are threatening to turn iff my phonebif I do not pay. I am a shareholder, cystomer over 18 years and a senior citizen, seriously?! No commom sense.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Pamrocks wrote:

I was charged $300 for a 60 minute call to Mawi, Tanzania from Michigan. TThey are threatening to turn iff my phonebif I do not pay. I am a shareholder, cystomer over 18 years and a senior citizen, seriously?! No commom sense.

Did you make the call?   Common sense would be to communicate your problem on the forum effectively.  
Have you?

Relevant -vs- irrelevant information?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.